Severe Reflux Stomachs try Whole30, 6/19/17-7/19/17

Haley511

Hello friends! 

My mom and I are starting Whole30 today! Im VERY exited about this, ever since I was about 8 i have had severe stomach issues and I'm hoping this to help. I have been on pretty much every medication for acid reflux and Gastroparisis my entire life, and my body gets used to every medication, my mom also has these issues and we both have had surgery because of it.

We decided to try Whole30 because our stomachs do not seem to improve much and we have heard that this diet truly does change lives. I know I am going to need some motivation because I am truly addicted to sugar. I am very excited, and I figured blogging about it would help keep us accountable, as well as an outlet for my mom and I to share our progress not only with weight loss, but more importantly how our stomachs are feeling!

We tagged "vacation" in this post because we are going on vacation about halfway through this process and need motivation/easy yummy recipes for a hotel. 

If any of you also have had severe stomach issues and have done Whole30, or are currently doing Whole30, or even have just started like us, feel free to reach out to us! We are always looking for new friends to share this experience with! 

So excited,

Haley&Kay

Hello Friends! Day one went pretty well, I was feeling pretty good by the end of the day surprisingly. It was midday that I had trouble and craved sweets. When this happened I just ate a peachier a naval orange! I was shocked by how much I ate throughout the day to keep my energy levels up! My mom felt around the same way, but with no cravings yet, her vice is cheese! 

Breakfast-2 eggs with tomato and a peach as a side

Snacks- Carrots and guacamole, a peach and a nectarine

Lunch- Chicken Breast cooked in the oven with carrots, green beans, and baby potatoes all topped with ghee and garlic powder.

Dinner- Hamburger (No bun of course, and didn't have time to make the sweet potato bun) with the Whole30 Ketchup (LOVE IT!) and Mayonnaise. (HELP, on the mayonnaise I followed the instructions but it turned out really green and tasted like straight olive oil.

Before bed- A spoonful of almond butter, and a naval orange. (delicious)

Were any of you surprised by how sweet some things tasted? like I had a sip of the apple cider needed for the ketchup and it was SO GOOD. and there wasn't any sugar! I know Whole30 doesn't recommend this but its not a rule so I'm not counting it as a slip up.

Hey guys,

Day two done and on to day three.

Day two proved to be easier than Day one for me. My mom felt that Day two was a little harder than Day one because of the cooking. We both had to go to work on Day two which I was really stressed about because sometimes my manager will offer to buy pretzels or Starbucks or some yummy treat for us! We both did it though and I came home to a yummy dessert of a Naval Orange. 

Breakfast- 2 eggs with tomato

Snacks- Nectarine, banana,  

Lunch- Baked potato with ghee, salt and pepper and Hard Salami.

Dinner- Sweet potatoe bisque, fried banana, nectarine.

Before bed snack- Orange.

• Moderators

If you made your mayo with EVOO, that's why it's so strong tasting. Look for a light tasting olive oil, or some people use avocado oil or macadamia nut oil, or high-oleic sunflower oil. You want oil without much flavor on its own.

I'd encourage you to take a look at the meal template, which you can download here:  https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

You'll do more to slay the sugar dragon if you limit the fruit to just a couple of fist-sized servings a day, always with a meal, rather than having more. I know it's a better choice than a candy bar, but it's really the same habit -- crave sweet, eat sweet. If you're not hungry, just don't eat. If you are hungry and it isn't meal time, try to have a mini meal of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three. If you're consistently hungry between meals, your meals are probably not big enough or aren't really meeting the template. When eggs are your only protein, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand, which is probably 3-4. At each meal, pick one or two fat servings from the template, in addition to whatever oil you cooked something in. And have lots of vegetables.

On 6/19/2017 at 11:48 AM, Haley511 said:

Hello friends! 

My mom and I are starting Whole30 today! Im VERY exited about this, ever since I was about 8 i have had severe stomach issues and I'm hoping this to help. I have been on pretty much every medication for acid reflux and Gastroparisis my entire life, and my body gets used to every medication, my mom also has these issues and we both have had surgery because of it.

We decided to try Whole30 because our stomachs do not seem to improve much and we have heard that this diet truly does change lives. I know I am going to need some motivation because I am truly addicted to sugar. I am very excited, and I figured blogging about it would help keep us accountable, as well as an outlet for my mom and I to share our progress not only with weight loss, but more importantly how our stomachs are feeling!

We tagged "vacation" in this post because we are going on vacation about halfway through this process and need motivation/easy yummy recipes for a hotel. 

If any of you also have had severe stomach issues and have done Whole30, or are currently doing Whole30, or even have just started like us, feel free to reach out to us! We are always looking for new friends to share this experience with! 

So excited,

Haley&Kay

Hi there!  While I haven't had nearly the acid reflux issues you're describing, I was at the point where I was taking a PPI before bed almost every night... I'm happy to say that I have been completely, one hundred percent acid reflux free since I started Whole30 (I'm on day 21).  I'm looking forward to the reintroduction phase to help me pinpoint which foods might be the worst offenders for me.  I hope you have the same positive results!!  Stay strong!  It's hard some days, but it gets easier.  I agree with @ShannonM816 that eating fruit as snacks will only continue your sugar cravings... I'm guilty of it, too.  It's the easiest thing to go for if you're hungry or have a craving, but try to eat your fruit with a meal and not as a snack.  If you do need fruit as a snack, try doing an apple with almond butter, or melon with compliant prosciutto to get protein with it (or a meat stick along with your fruit).  As you get into weeks 2 & 3, you'll probably find that your hunger and cravings between meals subside, which really helps.

Archived