Start Date June 26th

Happy Oiler Lisa

Day 3 breakfast for me?  Why, it was meatloaf and raw sauerkraut, thank you very much.  What's that noise?  That is the noise of sauerkraut haters around the world heaving into their brown paper bags.

Hey, it was tasty and I need a probiotic from time to time.  And I'm part German.  I also eat liver from time to time (had a lovely piece of veal liver at lunch on Saturday even).

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
8 minutes ago, tinman57 said:

Day 3 breakfast for me?  Why, it was meatloaf and raw sauerkraut, thank you very much.  What's that noise?  That is the noise of sauerkraut haters around the world heaving into their brown paper bags.

Hey, it was tasty and I need a probiotic from time to time.  And I'm part German.  I also eat liver from time to time (had a lovely piece of veal liver at lunch on Saturday even).

Who hates sauerkraut??!?

Woke up on this day 6 feeling pretty good. Whipped up some grilled mushroom and green peppers in avocado oil and topped them with an egg. Also had my green 'smoothie juice'. I write 'smoothie juice' b/c it's technically a smoothie but watered down to have a juice consistency: 1 small apple, 1 celery stalk, 1 small cucumber, 15 spinach leaves and 1/2 a lemon. I have been doing this for years for breakfast...and it was great w/ my lil egg concoction, lol

Hoping to do a 3 mile walk this afternoon, depends on how hot it is. If it's triple digit w/ heat index, I will hop on my stationary rower and watch Orange is the New Black, hahahaha

To all starting today- good luck :)

• Moderators
Just now, miyl444 said:

Woke up on this day 6 feeling pretty good. Whipped up some grilled mushroom and green peppers in avocado oil and topped them with an egg. Also had my green 'smoothie juice'. I write 'smoothie juice' b/c it's technically a smoothie but watered down to have a juice consistency: 1 small apple, 1 celery stalk, 1 small cucumber, 15 spinach leaves and 1/2 a lemon. I have been doing this for years for breakfast...and it was great w/ my lil egg concoction, lol

Hoping to do a 3 mile walk this afternoon, depends on how hot it is. If it's triple digit w/ heat index, I will hop on my stationary rower and watch Orange is the New Black, hahahaha

To all starting today- good luck :)

Eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping...for most people that's 3-4.

Smoothies are not recommended... even watered down to juice, which is also not recommended.  

Your breakfast is also missing fat... the cooking fat is usually not sufficient, gets left in the pan or split between servings, so we recommend adding additional fat to your meals... 

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

4 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping...for most people that's 3-4.

Smoothies are not recommended... even watered down to juice, which is also not recommended.  

Your breakfast is also missing fat... the cooking fat is usually not sufficient, gets left in the pan or split between servings, so we recommend adding additional fat to your meals... 

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

I'm slowly moving into eating breakfast, I usually just had the 'smoothie juice', so I figured first few days to slowly merge into lots of food. I did use 2 tablespoons of the avocado oil with the veggies...but I shall add a fat manana. Thank you, appreciate it.

And though my 'smoothies juices' only have 1 small apple and 1/2  lemon, they are are out..copy that. Again, thank you!!! :)

Hi.  I am starting round 2 day 1 today.  Would love to join your group.  I tried reintro of foods and while some were terrible, others just led to snacking which is a habit I don't want to fall into again.  I like the feeling of being in control of what I eat and my mood is so steady - I have way more patience and toleration, not to mention energy when on the plan.  

Meal 1 - steak & eggs with veggies

Meal 2- apple, salad (no dressing), cashews, Indian marsala.

Meal 3 will be fish with sweet potatoes and a mixture of summer squash and zuccini 

Hi all June 26th -ish starters! 

Today is day 1 of my first Whole30, breakfast was fantastic! I have been using the freezer food blog as a reference and made the veggie egg muffins (eggs, poblano pepper, sweet potato, onion, and spinach wrapped in prosciutto) paired with 1/2 an avocado and 1/2 a grapefruit. I felt hungry pretty quickly so I may add a third muffin tomorrow. 

My overall goal is to achieve a general reset and recreate my relationship with food. My sugar/baked goods habit has gotten out of hand.

I am a competitive cyclist (mountain biking and cyclocross) so I am concerned about getting in enough nutrients to keep my energy up, but i know that is a big topic on this forum so i hope to have plenty of resources. If anyone in this group has any pointers along the way I would be appreciative. 

Good luck to all!

Hello fellow June 26th starters

Today is day 1 of my first Whole30.  I have been contemplating doing it for about 3 months but hadn't made the commitment.  I decided there is no time like the present.  I had a breakfast smoothie this morning (I have now read up thread that that is not advisable, and won't do it for breakfast again).  I'm looking at some of the egg muffin compliant recipes and will probably whip some of those up for breakfast tomorrow.  I usually have my coffee with cream and sugar, so that was a bit different this morning.  Lunch ideas are giving me a hard time - I need to look at some recipes.  I usually eat sandwiches or leftovers from dinner.  Today I ate 3 eggs, an apple and some almonds.  I am feeling hungry, and I think I need to throw in some more filling foods for lunch, maybe add an avocado?  I have dinner planned, but may need to start it earlier than we usually eat.

I am hoping to get a healthier mindset after this program.  I have serious issues with the sugar dragon that I need to conquer.  I am nervous about failing (I know I need to shift my thinking, I am working on it).  I could also stand to loose about 20-25 lbs.  Since I turned 40 last year, my weight has been creeping up on me.  I am looking forward to taking this journey with everyone here, and can't wait to see what happens!

I am new also. Just started on the 24th. Had my coffee without my sweetened creamer :(.  I am using unsweetened vanilla almond and coconut milk in my coffee which I am getting used to if you want to give that a try.

Day 1 in the bag here in the U.K.  Tough, but actually really enjoying upping my awareness levels again and being mindful about my food. Need to work on my pre-work out fuelling (forgot today - it's so alien to me!) so will aim to nail it tomorrow... hope everyone else is having a great day and crushing it! 

16 hours ago, CaylaNotCarla said:

For me, my primary goal for the Whole30 is to understand and practice self-care. I want to take care of this body so that it will last me another 60+ years. I want to understand, love, and appreciate all of myself, body and mind. I want to feel in control of my feelings and actions, and I want to learn how to take care of myself in all ways, not just my feeding myself. 

@CaylaNotCarla  I think this is a great goal to have! I sometimes think the understanding is easier than the practice tho.  Good luck I'm trying the wholistic approach myself.  Please share any strategies you are using alongside the W30 food guidelines.  

27 June -Day 2 today and it's cold and overcast where I am.  But this little duck has planned ahead and I have bone broth so I can throw some veges and meat in and call it soup! OR i'll have it as a coffee/tea substitute.  But the plan for today is:

Meal 1: spinach omelette with half avo  (2 handfuls fresh spinach, 3 eggs and 1 tsp ghee) 

Meal 2: spicy fried chicken thigh and big salad including: lettuce, carrot, shredded cabbage, tomato, capsicum, 2 eggs, and 1 tb mayo plus squeeze lemon.   Plus 1 tb of probiotic pickled veg on the side cos I love it.

Meal 3: homemade meatloaf with homemade tomato sauce and mixed veg tossed in ghee and s&p. 

Today is definitely a day for my fave coffee (hazelnut flavoured and compliant) with a splash of coconut milk for afternoon tea.  

Good luck all!

Had an emergency out of town, wasnt the best day 1 but was still compliant. I did not get the cooking done that I wanted to do except some chicken in the crockpot. Of course DH did not eat enough since I wasnt home. Better tomorrow.

3 hours ago, turtledove said:

Hello fellow June 26th starters

Today is day 1 of my first Whole30.  I have been contemplating doing it for about 3 months but hadn't made the commitment.  I decided there is no time like the present.  I had a breakfast smoothie this morning (I have now read up thread that that is not advisable, and won't do it for breakfast again).  I'm looking at some of the egg muffin compliant recipes and will probably whip some of those up for breakfast tomorrow.  I usually have my coffee with cream and sugar, so that was a bit different this morning.  Lunch ideas are giving me a hard time - I need to look at some recipes.  I usually eat sandwiches or leftovers from dinner.  Today I ate 3 eggs, an apple and some almonds.  I am feeling hungry, and I think I need to throw in some more filling foods for lunch, maybe add an avocado?  I have dinner planned, but may need to start it earlier than we usually eat.

I am hoping to get a healthier mindset after this program.  I have serious issues with the sugar dragon that I need to conquer.  I am nervous about failing (I know I need to shift my thinking, I am working on it).  I could also stand to loose about 20-25 lbs.  Since I turned 40 last year, my weight has been creeping up on me.  I am looking forward to taking this journey with everyone here, and can't wait to see what happens!

Just a note on coffee. I was a coffee and cream person for 30 years. Still needed coffee on Whole 30, so my solution is Organic whole fat coconut milk(just the white fat on the top 3 inches)1 Tbsp and ghee 1/2 Tblsp. Awesome and satiating and I only have one cup a day instead of 4. The floating ghee may put some people off, but I think it is the shizel. YRMV

Magoo

Day 1 in the books, good going all. Keep those smoothies at bay! Slice up the veggies and have a breakfast salad instead with lots of EVOO.

"First, do no harm."

Day 1 has been...meh. 

M1 at 8am: Chicken sausage and greens for breakfast. I gagged on my first bite of my greens for some reason and the sausages were too salty for my liking. 

M2 at 1pm: Ground pork in lettuce cups with tomato sauce and a side of veggies. It was fine. I felt hungry for lunch, so I suppose that was a good thing. I'm disappointed I had to use lettuce cups instead of portobello mushrooms as planned. 

M3 about to happen at 7:30ishpm: Pork carnitas with guacamole and some roasted potatoes. 

I think I was really excited for my food to be delicious and it was all just okay or edible. I'm thinking I might try a sweet potato hash for breakfast next week. I guess the important thing is I packed all my lunch and drank water which I have not done in a while!

Here's hoping my dinner will be enjoyable!

Day 1 went well here. forgot to take my nuts to works so ended up a wee bit hungry on my way home. and the Pulled Pork carnitas wasnt quick the success i was hoping for. way too salty and runny. not sure where i went wrong although 1 & 1/2 tbsp of salt in the recipe could be the cause of the saltiness and i think i doubled up on everything except the actual meat - mental note weigh your meat first. there was a lot of it but poss not 1800g of it!

Hey everyone! I started the W30 yesterday too! I created a FB group as well for people that started then, it's support, recipes, and general info about Whole30. I know people say be wary of joining groups, as they may not be W30 compliant. BUT that is totally against my goal. This is my first W30 and really need the support of other people, regardless of round or previous success!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/814471082044143/

Day 2 done! Easier today, even with travelling and being a muppet - forgot to take my protein stash out of my suitcase, checked it in and then the flight was delayed :rolleyes:. Had olives and some fruit to avoid getting hangry and then made a chicken salad when I got got to the hotel. Literally 25% luggage was compliant food to get me through three days away from home...  :o

M1 - eggs scrambled with ghee and ham hock, Spinach and guacamole. Grapefruit. 

M2 - sausage salad with olives and nuts and strawberries and guacamole. 

M3 - chicken salad with some nut butter and carrot sticks. Apple and some olives. 

(Plus a pre-work out hard boiled egg... *gags* - at least I remembered to try and eat something before I hit the gym today!!)

keep crushing it people!  :D

Omg Day 2 is sucking right now. By 2pm I was crashing so hard I wanted to just keel over. I had a slight headache in the morning but my body just feels weak. I'm also feeling very bingey right now. I had to very conscious not to reach for some snap pea snacks my coworker was eating. And then I came home and wanted to eat a lot of almond butter before dinner. And now I just want to curl up and eat bread, hahah. 

What's weird is I would not consider my diet poor before. I'm not a big junk food person (especially not sugar or candy), I don't eat a lot of processed foods. Just goes to show you.

I hope everyone else is feeling better than me! 

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, nicky05 said:

Omg Day 2 is sucking right now. By 2pm I was crashing so hard I wanted to just keel over. I had a slight headache in the morning but my body just feels weak. I'm also feeling very bingey right now. I had to very conscious not to reach for some snap pea snacks my coworker was eating. And then I came home and wanted to eat a lot of almond butter before dinner. And now I just want to curl up and eat bread, hahah. 

What's weird is I would not consider my diet poor before. I'm not a big junk food person (especially not sugar or candy), I don't eat a lot of processed foods. Just goes to show you.

I hope everyone else is feeling better than me! 

Eat more.  Seriously... if you're feeling like crap with weakness and bingey and you think it might not be a sugar/junk craving then you're probably light on your meals.  Lets nip that in the bud here on day 2 so you don't carry on with not eating enough.  What did you eat yesterday and today?

1 hour ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Eat more.  Seriously... if you're feeling like crap with weakness and bingey and you think it might not be a sugar/junk craving then you're probably light on your meals.  Lets nip that in the bud here on day 2 so you don't carry on with not eating enough.  What did you eat yesterday and today?

Day 1 and day 2 were exactly the same: 

M1 at 8am: Chicken sausage and greens for breakfast. I gagged on my first bite of my greens for some reason and the sausages were too salty for my liking. 

M2 at 1pm: Ground pork in lettuce cups with tomato sauce and a side of veggies. It was fine. I felt hungry for lunch, so I suppose that was a good thing. I'm disappointed I had to use lettuce cups instead of portobello mushrooms as planned. 

M3 about to happen at 7:30ishpm: Pork carnitas with guacamole and some roasted potatoes. 

Your input is appreciated! I tried my best to incorporate enough fat and food in general (I'm definitely fearing gaining weight, haha). It feels like I should be eating enough, I guess. I know I didn't get enough sleep last night (I usually don't sleep enough) and I'm wondering if the lack of starches/grains are just causing me to feel it more. 

Day 2 done and dusted. 

M1. Baby bella mushroom and cabbage scrambled in 3 eggs and 2 Tbsp EVOO.  Ghee and coconut milk with my coffee.

M2. Shredded smoked white fish with red leaf lettuce leaves, tomato and olives 1 Tbsp CP avocado oil.

M3. Chopped New England Boiled Dinner Hash made with white turnips instead of potatoes and uncured (salted) corned beef. 2 Tbsp pastured pork lard.

Got in 14 glasses of water, 2 tsp pink sea salt spread through the day. No headaches no constipation or cramping.

Satisfying and yummy if I do say so myself.

Magoo

Day 2 down- felt hungry especially during the late afternoon.  Then dinner took forever to get on and done, and I found myself getting cranky with the kids (may be unrelated to W30 though!).  Still not digging the coffee- tried with some Almond milk and coconut oil this morning, meh.  I bought some coconut cream today at the grocery store and will try that tomorrow.  Shocked that the sugar cravings haven't been too harsh, definitely manageable.  I'm waiting for that to hit the fan...

M1 - Sausage mixed in with 2 scrambled eggs.  Definitely filling - think my sausage portion may have been a little large.  I couldn't finish.

M2 - Finished my leftover sausage and eggs, banana with almond butter, and leftover chicken leg with about 1/4 cup of leftover baked sweet potato cubes.  Doesn't seem to go together at all, but that is really the way my lunches seem to come together a lot of times- dig around and see what is left in the fridge

S1 - Couldn't hold out til dinner, had an emergency Lara bar

M3 - Instant pot butter chicken and Indian spiced riced cauliflower.  Still feel good and full. Bonus is there is some leftover for lunch tomorrow.

As a side bonus, I found compliant bacon at my grocery store today, yay!

• Moderators
4 hours ago, nicky05 said:

Day 1 and day 2 were exactly the same: 

Your input is appreciated! I tried my best to incorporate enough fat and food in general (I'm definitely fearing gaining weight, haha). It feels like I should be eating enough, I guess. I know I didn't get enough sleep last night (I usually don't sleep enough) and I'm wondering if the lack of starches/grains are just causing me to feel it more. 

Okeedokee... first, what is 'should be eating enough'?  We don't care about what other people think of the volume of food here... take a look at Melissa's instagram... her meals are amazing and certainly not small by any stretch.

Second, your M1 has no fat... how much chicken sausage?  If you estimate, was it a palm worth of protein or more? (width x length x thickness).  Second, were the greens about 2-3 cups after being steamed or wilted down?  

Was the ground pork at least a palm worth?  Was the veggies 2-3 cups?  Where was the fat?

M3 looks like it has fat which is good but again, I'd ask the same question about the protein.  The potatoes are great and a fist sized serving at least once a day is the recommendation.  What other veggies will you be eating to make up the rest of the 'FILL your plate with veggies' recommendation?

If you're active, a woman on or near her period or a person with a tendancy toward mood disorder, you can add more starch... try a fist sized serving at two meals.

So basically ya, you're not eating enough.  It looks like you're on the right track... glad to see there's no fruit, nuts, nut butters etc... on their own so that's great, but just try and make your meals match the template... it's where the magic is!

• Moderators
2 hours ago, turtledove said:

Day 2 down- felt hungry especially during the late afternoon.  Then dinner took forever to get on and done, and I found myself getting cranky with the kids (may be unrelated to W30 though!).  Still not digging the coffee- tried with some Almond milk and coconut oil this morning, meh.  I bought some coconut cream today at the grocery store and will try that tomorrow.  Shocked that the sugar cravings haven't been too harsh, definitely manageable.  I'm waiting for that to hit the fan...

M1 - Sausage mixed in with 2 scrambled eggs.  Definitely filling - think my sausage portion may have been a little large.  I couldn't finish.

M2 - Finished my leftover sausage and eggs, banana with almond butter, and leftover chicken leg with about 1/4 cup of leftover baked sweet potato cubes.  Doesn't seem to go together at all, but that is really the way my lunches seem to come together a lot of times- dig around and see what is left in the fridge

S1 - Couldn't hold out til dinner, had an emergency Lara bar

M3 - Instant pot butter chicken and Indian spiced riced cauliflower.  Still feel good and full. Bonus is there is some leftover for lunch tomorrow.

As a side bonus, I found compliant bacon at my grocery store today, yay!

Hey there... you're hungry because you're not eating enough.  M1 didn't have fat or veggies... Your M2 had barely any veggies... the fact you wanted to have a snack tells me that as well.

If you need to eat between meals till you get your composition figured out, go for protein and fat, not larabar... eating between lunch and dinner doesn't constitute an emergency unless you were also on a life raft in the middle of the ocean ;)

Take another look at the meal template and try and make your meals match.

Archived