Start Date June 26th

Happy Oiler Lisa

12 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Okeedokee... first, what is 'should be eating enough'?  We don't care about what other people think of the volume of food here... take a look at Melissa's instagram... her meals are amazing and certainly not small by any stretch.

Second, your M1 has no fat... how much chicken sausage?  If you estimate, was it a palm worth of protein or more? (width x length x thickness).  Second, were the greens about 2-3 cups after being steamed or wilted down?  

Was the ground pork at least a palm worth?  Was the veggies 2-3 cups?  Where was the fat?

M3 looks like it has fat which is good but again, I'd ask the same question about the protein.  The potatoes are great and a fist sized serving at least once a day is the recommendation.  What other veggies will you be eating to make up the rest of the 'FILL your plate with veggies' recommendation?

If you're active, a woman on or near her period or a person with a tendancy toward mood disorder, you can add more starch... try a fist sized serving at two meals.

So basically ya, you're not eating enough.  It looks like you're on the right track... glad to see there's no fruit, nuts, nut butters etc... on their own so that's great, but just try and make your meals match the template... it's where the magic is!

Thank you for your feedback! I can confidently say my portions of meat are big enough, but definitely lacking in the veggie department. And I guess I was considering my cooking fat as my fat for meals 1 and 2. 

I did feel a lot better after M3 and even got some yoga in. 

The real test tomorrow will be that I actually have to go out for lunch for a business meeting. AHHH! 

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dang it folks!  I blew it today.  Unexpected visitors - wine and pizza and the sugar dragon had reared it's head and I was stressed and blah blah blah.   Still we are early on so I'm starting again tomorrow day !... and I might have to spread the word a little.  Goshdarnit!  

I'm so grateful for this community...I love reading what everyone is eating and the feedback given to help align meals to fulfill the meal template.  This is my first whole30 and I started last Friday so am starting on day 6 today.  I have to ask...When do I get my energy back?  I am beat!  Other observations: Each morning since I started I wake with a slight headache, but a big glass of water usually nips it.  And my dreams have been crazy!  Some of the most common dreams are me mistakenly eating something that is not compliant and not realizing it until after I've swallowed it...then panicking! In addition, I'm also realizing how bad my habits were as I would thoughtlessly nibble at food.  So far the whole30 is helping me to recondition those habits.  

So far there's been 0 cravings (which amazes me) and I hope that continues.  Thanks for the support!

chicagobirdie, I am having the same issue with dreams. They are certainly much sooner than I expected, but the past two nights I have broken my whole30 in the dream state. Hopefully they will subside as our new way of eating normalizes.

Day 3 and I am feeling better than expected. I am getting a little hungry between meals so may take the advice above and up some of my portions. The only issue I am having may or may not be whole30 related, I came into the process with a freshly pulled muscle and it seems to be lasting longer than I would normally expect. Each day I wake up with the same soreness from  the day before. Could the intro/detox phase be slowing my recovery? Any food recommendations to help?

Day 2 M1 Compliant bacon and each 3 eggs, I had an apple also, DH doesnt, he saves fruit for if he feels his BS is low where he is insulin dependent. He had strawberries in the afternoon. We had lunch late like 3 pm and had pork chops seasoned with cumin and garlic and boiled taters, alad. Now this is bad probably but neither of us was hungry and we did not eat again. However I usually am strugglng to stay awake at 8pm and didnt fall asleep till 1am. Mostly cuz I was peeing, alot

Starting day 8.

Yesterday I was craving the veggies straws that were brought into the office and before Whole30, I would have grabbed a handful every time I passed the break room...but I did not. THIS...IS...HUGE. Feels good.

I had a 3 egg omelette w grilled veggies  (onions, green peppers, mushrooms) and nutritional yeast cooked in avocado oil, and a sliced avocado as my side for breakfast. I am slowly making my way to 4 eggs for breakfast. I have to say come 10 am, I am not looking for that mid morning snack like I have been doing for years, so this is good. Though I am on day 8, I feel like day 6-7 per the timeline...but I have also been super crazy busy here at the office and have been going non stop til 11pm each evening, so that could also be why I'm a lil tired. Thankfully the next few days, I have nothing going on after work, so I can workout and relax in the evenings and get to bed by 10.

I am loving reading what people are having for meals, it's giving me more ideas, thanks guys!!!

13 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Hey there... you're hungry because you're not eating enough.  M1 didn't have fat or veggies... Your M2 had barely any veggies... the fact you wanted to have a snack tells me that as well.

If you need to eat between meals till you get your composition figured out, go for protein and fat, not larabar... eating between lunch and dinner doesn't constitute an emergency unless you were also on a life raft in the middle of the ocean ;)

Take another look at the meal template and try and make your meals match.

Ok, thanks for the input!  I thought I was OK on fat between the sausage (and cooked the eggs in the pan after the sausage), and the coconut oil in my coffee.  I know I am light on my veggies.  They have never been my favorite. I usually only eat them when my kids are watching :0 .  I am working to change that.  Feeling OK so far today.  My coffee tasted better with the coconut cream, or I'm just adjusting to the taste.  My real test always seems to come mid afternoon.  

I'm trying to meal plan for the week.  Is it ok to have say half a cup of fruit/berries  after the evening meal? I am used to doing this and wondered if this would still be ok to carry over to the W30 as I feel like something a little sweet after the evening meal.   Thoughts?

Day 3 and now I remember what was hard about the Whole30 - so much cooking. I work FT and have three boys. Since we always seem on the go, we eat sandwiches, cereal or fast food ALOT. 

I feel like I am cooking a crap ton of veggies right now. I halfway started this weekend to ease into this W30. Compliant- this is day 3 for me. But Day 5 of the veggie binge. Bleh. 

Plus I had a headache today. I'm not a soda or coffee drinker - so maybe the sugar detox.

Overall it's going well - as long as someone else will cook for me. Also, my meals are so simple compared to you guys. 

Today: sausage & scrambled eggs for breakfast. Lunch was Beef roast, squash and onions, cucumber slices. Small peach eaten a little later. Dinner will be baked chicken with a sweet potato and green beans. Cooking with EVOO and ghee. A little salt and pepper. 

Dreading the 4 day weekend. We are going camping. Trying to figure out how to stay compliant. 

1 hour ago, aussiegal said:

I'm trying to meal plan for the week.  Is it ok to have say half a cup of fruit/berries  after the evening meal? I am used to doing this and wondered if this would still be ok to carry over to the W30 as I feel like something a little sweet after the evening meal.   Thoughts?

I think it would be a no to that because the berries are sort of replicating dessert and filling the craving for something sweet after dinner...

Today was actually a pretty good day, though I am sick of salad, hahah. I need to buy more veggies to cook with meals but my options were limited today. I made pecan crusted chicken though, and that was delicious. The best thing about being single is how many leftovers I have. Tried my best to incorporate more veggies and fat today - including adding full fat coconut milk to my black coffee. 

I've also been so lazy and low energy my kitchen is cluttered from all the appliances I have yet to put away. Hand blender, crockpot, dutch oven...This is the most I've cooked full meals in so long. 

Honestly, this is the best I've felt so far. My limbs are still heavy, but I woke up an hour before my alarm thinking I'd slept in because I did not feel groggy. And it was not like a panicky, anxiety-induced jump out of bed either. I definitely felt drained today, but it was not nearly as bad as yesterday. 

I am also really enjoying reading Food Freedom on my way to work. ISWF is an amazing book, but it's also nice to see the "aftermath" perspective too. 

Today was good, although I am feeling a bit grumpy.  No serious sugar cravings today (again I'm shocked by that), but I was a bit jealous of the glass of milk my husband was just drinking.

M1- Sautéed about 1.5-2 cups spinach in Avocado oil.  Added two scrambled eggs and some sausage to the mix.  It definitely came out more spinachy rather than the omelet I was going for.  Also had about 10 raspberries.  Had my morning coffee with coconut cream and it wasn't too bad.

M2 - Huge chop salad with carrots, peppers, dates, dressing (Avocado Oil, Mustard, and Balsamic Vinegar), 1.5 handfuls of Almonds, and 3 bites of banana (my son didn't finish his from lunch).  Maybe low on protein?  I wasn't too hungry before dinner though.

I felt a little sluggish this afternoon, so I took my leftover coffee from this morning, added some coconut cream, a bit of vanilla powder and used an immersion blender to make an iced coffee.  It was OK, not the best.

M3 - Leftover Butter Chicken and riced cauliflower, carrots dipped in guacamole.  My stomach hurt a bit after dinner, I'm thinking maybe the peppers from the butter chicken.

On to day 4!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, turtledove said:

Today was good, although I am feeling a bit grumpy.  No serious sugar cravings today (again I'm shocked by that), but I was a bit jealous of the glass of milk my husband was just drinking.

M1- Sautéed about 1.5-2 cups spinach in Avocado oil.  Added two scrambled eggs and some sausage to the mix.  It definitely came out more spinachy rather than the omelet I was going for.  Also had about 10 raspberries.  Had my morning coffee with coconut cream and it wasn't too bad.

M2 - Huge chop salad with carrots, peppers, dates, dressing (Avocado Oil, Mustard, and Balsamic Vinegar), 1.5 handfuls of Almonds, and 3 bites of banana (my son didn't finish his from lunch).  Maybe low on protein?  I wasn't too hungry before dinner though.

I felt a little sluggish this afternoon, so I took my leftover coffee from this morning, added some coconut cream, a bit of vanilla powder and used an immersion blender to make an iced coffee.  It was OK, not the best.

M3 - Leftover Butter Chicken and riced cauliflower, carrots dipped in guacamole.  My stomach hurt a bit after dinner, I'm thinking maybe the peppers from the butter chicken.

On to day 4!

Your sluggishness in the afternoon would probably have been directly related to your lunch being completely protein deficient. Almonds are a fat and one that we suggest you limit... think a closed handful every other day at most... that's like 7 almonds... always try and keep that template meal going... protein, fat, fill the plate with veggies :)

SugarCube wrote:   "If you need to eat between meals till you get your composition figured out, go for protein and fat, not larabar... eating between lunch and dinner doesn't constitute an emergency unless you were also on a life raft in the middle of the ocean ;)"

It doesn't?  -_-

Day four people, time to get that 10 pounds of sh*t in a 5 pound bag. You can do it!

Magoo

"Do or do not, there is no try" Miyagi 

Woke up this morning sneezing like crazy (damn allergies) but otherwise feel okay. I actually got seven hours of sleep last night, which is a huge deal for me. Besides the allergies messing with my head I feel good. A little bloated, but generally good. 

My breakfast was not the best this morning. I realized I was running low on veggies after I'd prepared my lunch for the day. I guess that means a trip to the store tonight. Lunch is all packed and ready to go. 

So, I know we are supposed to eat breakfast within 1hr of waking - which I always do - but sometimes I have my coffee when I get to work. If I'm putting the coconut milk in it, is that still acceptable? 

• Moderators
4 hours ago, CookyMagoo said:

SugarCube wrote:   "If you need to eat between meals till you get your composition figured out, go for protein and fat, not larabar... eating between lunch and dinner doesn't constitute an emergency unless you were also on a life raft in the middle of the ocean ;)"

It doesn't?  -_-

Day four people, time to get that 10 pounds of sh*t in a 5 pound bag. You can do it!

Magoo

"Do or do not, there is no try" Miyagi 

And even then, if you willingly got on the life raft and pushed off into the ocean to escape Day 4... well that's not an emergency either ;)

Laughing outloud at my desk at your next comment!

Hello Everyone! My start date was on June 26th so joining in on this group. Glad to see there is support out there because the sugar cravings are hitting hard! I work in an office that has snacks galore (Pringles, cheez its, candy, you name it) available to staff and clients at all times. It's been pretty tough but I let all my coworkers know I'm doing the Whole 30 and they have been very supportive. I have also took to my social media accounts announcing my Whole 30 journey. It is definitely keeping me accountable! Good luck to everyone. Day 4 almost complete!!

Just now I found myself having thoughts of "what if I just didn't do this". I don't know what triggered that and I'm not really hungry (and even if that was it, dinner is being cooked anyway). It just kind of came out of left field and suddenly I wanted a cupcake and wine. 

1 hour ago, nicky05 said:

It just kind of came out of left field and suddenly I wanted a cupcake and wine. 

Sigh, this sounds so good right now!  I definitely feel today has me looking at all of the things I can't have versus all of the things I can.  26 days is seeming so far away right now.  I just ate dinner and am not hungry, but I'm not feeling satisfied either.  Hope this is just a couple day phase.

M1- Sauted spinach in Avocado Oil, two eggs, and sausage.  Coffee with coconut cream

Lunch got a little off as I was out and about longer than I anticipated.  I ended up eating snacks from my purse on the way home to tide me over to "real" lunch

M2 - Banana and Chomps beef jerky on ride, then chop salad with oil/vinegar dressing, dates, carrots, procuitto and a few raspberries.

S1 - Had another piece of procuitto and a handful of coconut flakes while fixing dinner

M3 - Pineapple Chicken over a plate of zoodles.  

Don't feel bad, don't feel great.  Mostly tired.  Not craving anything, just missing a lot.  Here's to a new day!

I am so glad I am not the only one experiencing this. It's not a craving, or maybe it is, but it's not the type of craving I've ever had before. I went grocery shopping to pick up more veggies and ground beef as well as some Natural Calm and amazingly I walked passed all the pastries and cakes and chocolate and felt fine. 

And then I was checking out and this guy was buying gummy bears. I am not a candy person. I have never been a candy person. I'm a chocolate and salty snacks person, but man those gummy bears looked amazing. 

I'm going to cook up some ground beef  while I do my yoga so I can throw it in a quick sauce tomorrow with zucchini noodles after work. At least it's a break from pork and chicken! 

I'm also 100% afraid I'm gaining weight. But that's what 15 years of disordered eating will do to you. The fact that have not weighed myself since Monday morning and I'm used to weighing in three times a day is giving me a lot of anxiety right now. 

Day four in the books.

M1. 3 eggs scrambles with 2 oz sujuk sausage, mushrooms and zucchini, 1 Tbsp CP avocado  oil. Coffee with 1 tsp ghee and 1 Tbsp Coconut milk fat.

M2. spring greens dressed with Olive oil(1.5 Tbsp) and balsamic vinegar salt and pepper, with tomato, cucumber and kalamata olives,  3 oz scoop of Albacore tuna and 1 hard boiled egg. 

M3. Stuffed zucchini boats with ground beef and onion, spiced with NY system wiener seasoning (RI thing). 2 cups of collard and kale greens with pastured lard, onion, garlic, shitake powder, baby bella mushrooms, Thai chile paste and Red Boat fish sauce. 1 oz toasted almonds for dessert.

Good going folks,

Magoo

"do or do not, there is no try" Myagi

TurtleDove Wrote: "Sigh, this sounds so good right now!  I definitely feel today has me looking at all of the things I can't have versus all of the things I can.  26 days is seeming so far away right now.  I just ate dinner and am not hungry, but I'm not feeling satisfied either.  Hope this is just a couple day phase."

M1- Sauted spinach in Avocado Oil, two eggs, and sausage.  Coffee with coconut cream   Not enough food

Lunch got a little off as I was out and about longer than I anticipated.  I ended up eating snacks from my purse on the way home to tide me over to "real" lunch

Wait until you can have your whole "meal" unless your going to workout with the hour.

M2 - Banana and Chomps beef jerky on ride, then chop salad with oil/vinegar dressing, dates, carrots, procuitto and a few raspberries. Should be more Real protein and not cured processed meats.

S1 - Had another piece of procuitto and a handful of coconut flakes while fixing dinner

Don't feel bad, don't feel great.  Mostly tired.  Not craving anything, just missing a lot.  Here's to a new day!"

First days can be rough. Lots of water, salt and more water required. 15-18 8 oz glasses. Min 2 tsp of salt.

Hang in there and Eat! roast meats, Veg Veg Veg and clean fat. Don't worry about calories. Eat to satisfy yourself.

Magoo

• Moderators
1 hour ago, CookyMagoo said:

TurtleDove Wrote: "Sigh, this sounds so good right now!  I definitely feel today has me looking at all of the things I can't have versus all of the things I can.  26 days is seeming so far away right now.  I just ate dinner and am not hungry, but I'm not feeling satisfied either.  Hope this is just a couple day phase."

M1- Sauted spinach in Avocado Oil, two eggs, and sausage.  Coffee with coconut cream   Not enough food

Wait until you can have your whole "meal" unless your going to workout with the hour.

M2 - Banana and Chomps beef jerky on ride, then chop salad with oil/vinegar dressing, dates, carrots, procuitto and a few raspberries. Should be more Real protein and not cured processed meats.

Don't feel bad, don't feel great.  Mostly tired.  Not craving anything, just missing a lot.  Here's to a new day!"

First days can be rough. Lots of water, salt and more water required. 15-18 8 oz glasses. Min 2 tsp of salt.

Hang in there and Eat! roast meats, Veg Veg Veg and clean fat. Don't worry about calories. Eat to satisfy yourself.

Magoo

Our water recommendation is 1/2oz per pound of body weight but otherwise, really good advice :)

Archived