We started on June 12th

Carolyn McNabb

Hello!  My name is Carolyn and my family of 4 started our 1st Whole 30 on June 12th.

The kids have since "fallen off" a bit, but are still eating much more healthy than before.  My husband and I have stayed the course.  We even went tent camping this last weekend.  Man, was there a lot of prep, but it worked out really well.  

My husband and I have our own reasons for starting this, but it was my idea and my push.  He is good to go along.  He was diagnosed with diabetes earlier this year and has had high blood pressure for years.

My primary reason for doing this is pain.  I have been dealing with migraines every month for years, but what finally pushed me to make a change is what appears to be systemic inflammation.  Lots of sciatica and neck pain are the big ones.

I also gave up caffeine starting June 12th since I couldn't put sugar and milk in my coffee any more.  I used to drink a cup of coffee every morning and a glass of iced coffee every afternoon with my pretzel crisps and hummus!  I've been having lots of headaches, for me migraines, so it's been a bit rough.  I'm praying it gets better very soon.

Well, I guess that's us and why we are doing Whole 30.

Hi, my name is Lynne and I started June 14th!  I started on my own, so was looking for a kind of support group? Maybe we could just be two?? Anyway, so far it is going well. I noticed you started for pain reasons, and I wonder if you notice changes? I used to wake up and be in so much pain that it was hard to roll over and sit up to get out of bed! My mid back somehow... hips... and then I have a trigger finger on my right hand that used to be warm and swollen all the time. All of this is soooo much better! I am so surprised by this and pleased. I am still struggling with being tired a bit, but I am a little older so as I understand it, things take a little longer. Plus I had been treated for Lyme Disease last fall, and I feel like that whole experience had some seriously lasting consequences, mostly because I get sick a lot easier and all the time vs before. So I am interested to find out how my body reacts to the foods we are giving up, but am already thinking I may need to consider Paleo. At least 80/20 or 90/10 with some Whole 30 resets twice a year. Being Catholic, I am thinking Lent and Advent, nothing like a little extra push to keep me honest. But heck.. I am only at Day 15 now and already feeling some big changes. 

Hoping you read this and that your Whole 30 is going well! :-) Lynne

Hi all!

I started on June 11th, so I thought I'd drop in and see how everyone is doing. I'm loving this so much and have been amazed at how (relatively) easy it has been to resist foods I used to eat all the time. I really love the 'black and white' aspects of this program, and am actually a little nervous about life after the first 30 days.

How is everyone else doing?

Michelle

Hi Michelle, so far, so good... I am a bit nervous too, because I am not going to have a reintro period. My folks are coming to visit and we will be travelling around doing things and I will not have the same control. They are here for ten weeks and then another friend comes for three. So, I am already planning another round in the fall, after my guests leave. I think I will make an effort to be more careful with fats outside of meals. I am 48 and while I am feeling so much better on this.... I think I need to be a little careful! 

I admit I am nervous too about the next few months. I want to keep eating this way, honestly, or at least reintro things properly. So, it is hard. But I think I am going to try to eat this way as much as I can. It is worth the effort.  But sadly, I have sort of started to look at this as a practice run. 

I hope your reintro period helps you figure out how to keep eating further! Best wishes, Lynne

Thanks for the response, Lynne.

I can see how it will be challenging to keep fully compliant when your folks are here. But at least you'll have a great head start and groundwork to eat mostly clean while they're here, and then do another round once everyone's gone home!

I'm thinking of doing the 'slow roll' reintroduction to keep as clean as possible after the 30 days are over (Next Monday - yikes!)

Good luck!!! I have decided to just try to eat this way as much as I can, because it seriously helps with the aches and pains. It is only this past year that I have begun to have real pain in a daily way, and I am loving that I can eat food I enjoy and have such a pleasant result. So good luck! 

Hi everyone,

I only just now joined the forum, but I also started on June 12th. I have found it relatively easy. I did stop with sugar a week prior to officially starting, just to test if I was indeed as committed as I said I'd be. I'm not a sugar monster, but couldn't imagine drinking my coffee black... Well, I managed for a week without complaining and figured I might as well just get started on the Whole30 then. And it's been one of the best choices ever. I must admit, sugar in my coffee is the only thing I've really missed this month, but then I've reminded myself that "it's only for 30 days".

So far, I've lost a lot of weight already, and I have less pain from an auto-immune disease I've had since childhood. Interesting development is that I've become very sensitive to smell. I've cut onions nearly every day for all of my grown-up life and never once had a single tear, but since last week, I can't cut onions without getting teary-eyed. What's up with that? Same with when I'm cooking a Thai curry, the spices get to my sinuses during cooking.

I plan to start the reintroduction on July 12 with legumes, according to the protocol in the book. Can't believe that's next week already! These 30 days just went by so quickly. I must admit, and when I read this earlier on different blogs I didn't think it would apply to me, but I am a bit 'afraid' to start eating all foods again. Funny fact though: by July 21st I'm supposed to add gluten, which happens to my birthday, so I'll be having that beer.

Anyway, hope you have all been succesful at it too and feeling the benefits.

44 minutes ago, Annayllop said:

Interesting development is that I've become very sensitive to smell. I've cut onions nearly every day for all of my grown-up life and never once had a single tear, but since last week, I can't cut onions without getting teary-eyed. What's up with that? Same with when I'm cooking a Thai curry, the spices get to my sinuses during cooking.

Hi Annayllop... I wonder if the overall decrease in inflammation has decreased inflammation in the passages of the nose, making it easier for them to work better than ever?? How interesting! I have seasonal allergies, so I have not noticed a better sense of smell, but I was actually wondering about this, how it would be in the winter, to do a Winter Whole 30!  This has really been eye opening tho! I too am glad I have done this. It is definitely life changing.

On 6/20/2017 at 6:15 AM, Carolyn McNabb said:

My primary reason for doing this is pain.  I have been dealing with migraines every month for years.

I also gave up caffeine since I couldn't put sugar and milk in my coffee any more.  I've been having lots of headaches, for me migraines.

If you've been treating migraines with coffee/caffeine for years -  many are advised by their doctors to drink a cup of coffee or two as part of their daily Rx.

If so, you might rethink going Cold Turkey without it. If you're being medically treated for them, ask your doctor the best course of action going forward.

If they/you think coffee really should stay, start drinking it with unsweetened coconut milk or compliant nutpods,etc.

Hi Annayllop.

We're almost there! Tomorrow is Day 31 for me, and I still haven't decided what I want to reintro first. I'm starting to feel a little more confident about reintro, but still a little scared to bump myself off track.

It's super interesting about the increased sense of smell. I think NorskWife might be on to something with the reduced inflammation. There are so many things that our food affects! And a reduction in pain is a pretty amazing improvement too - congrats on that! :)

Thanks MeeshKB! What did you eat on day 31?

Indeed, interesting point of view from NorskWife. I'll keep track of what happens to my smell when I reintroduce food.

Tomorrow is niet day 30! I'm soaking chickpeas as prep for day 31... I'm going to follow the advice where you start with legumes.

Wednesday I'll have apples and peanut butter for breakfast. I'm making falafel (without flour but will use sweet potatoes instead) tomorrow night to bring for lunch on Wednesday, to eat with a simple salad. Dinner will be chili with only one type of bean added (kidney beans).

The order I'll go in after: non-gluten grains, dairy, gluten. And that's it, right?

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Annayllop said:

Thanks MeeshKB! What did you eat on day 31?

Indeed, interesting point of view from NorskWife. I'll keep track of what happens to my smell when I reintroduce food.

Tomorrow is niet day 30! I'm soaking chickpeas as prep for day 31... I'm going to follow the advice where you start with legumes.

Wednesday I'll have apples and peanut butter for breakfast. I'm making falafel (without flour but will use sweet potatoes instead) tomorrow night to bring for lunch on Wednesday, to eat with a simple salad. Dinner will be chili with only one type of bean added (kidney beans).

The order I'll go in after: non-gluten grains, dairy, gluten. And that's it, right?

If you want to test soy you should add it in as its own thing... it can be extremely problematic for people so much that it's worth giving it its own day :) If you never want to eat it again (totally doable... I never eat the stuff) then carry on :)

Archived