Start date July 1st - but kinda started today?

CTGeorge

Hi, all! My name is Crystal and my husband and I will be starting our first Whole30 on July 1st. I posted in the Join the Whole30 forum the other day, but I decided to post here because I KINDA started today? A little background.....

My husband and I did CrossFit & Paleo a few years ago and had success with both, but we quit CrossFit for a number of different reasons and then Paleo shortly thereafter. So I know I can do the Whole30, I just need the support. Fast forward to Mother's Day when I asked for a copy of It Starts with Food. I brought the book with me when I went on a three week vacation to the Philippines and told my husband I wanted to start as soon as we got back. I read the book several times throughout my vacation, then realized we should probably start July 1st, which would give me around 2 weeks from the time I got back from my vacation (June 16th), to plan and prep and whatnot. My husband did not go with me on said vacation (I went with my parents and my son), so I told him his job while I was gone was to clean out the kitchen of all the non-compliant foods. Which isn't really fair on his part, to make him eat all the unhealthy things we had, but my husband has never struggled with his weight or body image the way I have (he has always been happy with supporting me and all the crazy ideas on fad diets and whatnot that I come up with), and he was more than happy to eat everything in the kitchen.

So I come home from my vacation and not only has my husband cleaned out the kitchen and pantry, but what little there is left over are foods that I buy for our kids. Foods that I don't eat. And because my husband was busy clearing out the kitchen for me, he didn't go grocery shopping, at all, not once while I was gone. As I've recently been diagnosed with body dysmorphia and since the experience I had with CrossFit and Paleo is always in the back of my mind when I go grocery shopping, I've always been aware of what I eat. And the food that's in my kitchen is not it. So since I had just got back from vacation where I was basically eating seafood and rice for three weeks straight (YUM!), I decided, "Well, we're starting Whole30 in 2 weeks and we have no food left and we need to save our grocery budget for shopping, let's just go out to eat every day." And we did. Zaxby's and Popeye's and Steak & Shake and Olive Garden. All the while, I'm not making healthy food choices because I "deserve to eat the American food I missed out on while I was on vacation" and blah blah blah blah blah. Didn't I mention that I normally eat pretty healthy? Well I do that because when I eat out or eat something that's not "whole food," I get sick - sick to my stomach as well as emotionally sick (thanks, body dysmorphia!). 

So I tried to go grocery shopping yesterday to go ahead and stock up on some things that we would need for our Whole30 journey, but I took my daughter with me and she was hungry and grabbing everything off the shelves and then I got discouraged thinking about how I wasn't going by the book and actually PLANNING what I was going to buy (because I hate cooking and normally just find something to buy that's easy to make - like steamed broccoli), and ended up putting everything in my cart back except for a bag of sweet potatoes, one bunch of bananas, and The Whole30 30 Day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom that I saw while browsing the book section. (Coincidence? I think not!) & then when we got home, & there were no groceries, so for dinner I ended up eating a big bowl of Girl Scouts Caramel Crunch cereal that my husband and kids had not finished eating. And by big bowl, I mean, I filled the bowl with whole milk and cereal and kept adding more cereal until all the milk was gone. Which means I ate about 6 bowls of cereal. Ughhhhhh.

So this morning I'm sitting in my bed reading through the book I picked up yesterday, feeling & hearing my stomach growl, thinking, "I've been awake for more than an hour, I really should eat." Which I do eat breakfast, every day. I always wake up ravenous, and if I don't eat breakfast I turn into Godzilla. My husband hates when I'm hungry because I turn HANGRY and it's not pretty. I was just anxious to start the Whole30 and wanted to get through the book quickly and was having a pity party with myself since I had eaten so unhealthy every day since coming home from my trip and thought, "I'll just start weaning myself off these unhealthy foods starting today!" So I got up, went to the kitchen, and made breakfast. 

My breakfast consisted of one banana, one microwaved sweet potato, and 3 boiled eggs. I reached for the Sam's Club-sized tub of Country Crock butter that is in our kitchen to use on my sweet potato, but I stopped myself. Then I went to reach for the homemade brown cinnamon and sugar concoction for my sweet potato, but again, I stopped myself. I was feeling pretty good with myself, until I got down to the last boiled egg (after eating everything else), and realized that I hadn't chewed my food slowly or savored the flavor of the food the way the book suggests. I'll need to remember that during my journey, because I worked in fast food for so long and we didn't have very many breaks to eat, and now I work at a job where we are so under-staffed that we barely get to take breaks, so I'm mostly snacking during the day or eating very quickly.

So I guess I kinda started today. Meaning I'm going to get my butt up and go grocery shopping! And I'm going to be more conscious about what I buy and just wean myself into the program until our official start date on July 1st. Wish me luck! 

Anyway, that "little" background turned into a novel! Looking back and reading what I wrote, it sounds like a big ramble/rant/excuse, but this is my log and my doctor thinks this will be a good way for me to keep track of my feelings and what not, especially when I struggle with my body image issues. And most importantly, I want to be successful in this journey more than I've wanted anything for myself in a looooooooooooooooong time, so I'm fine with the ranting.

Thanks for reading!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey snowflower, whats the name of the group starting today? I cannot

22 hours ago, snowflower said:

Hi.  I'm starting on the 1st, as well.  There's another thread with another July 1 starter.  So if you'd like to join us there, please do.  I'm a repeat Whole30-er, too.

Happy Day 0! Tomorrow is Day 1. :)

find it 

Day 1 log:

Breakfast (0600): 4 scrambled eggs with 1/2 cup of salsa and several handfuls of unsweetened shredded coconut

Break (1115): 2 boiled eggs, 4 oz. Mott's unsweetened applesauce, several handfuls of unsweetened shredded coconut

Lunch (1400): salmon fillet with avocado salsa, broccoli, cauliflower rice, strawberries & grapes 

Break (1815): 3 tbsp. of almonds, 1/2 Ziploc sandwich bag of baby carrots 

Dinner (1945): 2 taco lettuce wraps with guacamole, 7 grapes 

I'll post my Day 2 meals tomorrow! 

Day 2: 

Breakfast (0600): 3 deli turkey slices with guacamole & salsa

Break (0845): 2 scrambled eggs

Break (1115): 4 oz. unsweetened applesauce, RXbar - blueberry, 1/2 Ziploc sandwich bag of baby carrots, unsweetened shredded coconut

Lunch (1400): 3 taco lettuce wraps with guacamole with strawberries and grapes

DInner (2030): 1 taco lettuce wrap with guacamole, broccoli, 1 medium sweet potato, unsweetened shredded coconut 

I'm working on adding more vegetables. 

Day 3 meals: 

Breakfast (0815): 2 1/2 boiled eggs with guacamole and 1 medium sweet potato

Snack (1230): 4 deli turkey breast wraps with guacamole & salsa, unsweetened shredded coconut

Snack (1500): Coconut cream pie Larabar and 1 sesame seaweed sheet 

Dinner (1830): taco meat made with onions and tomatoes stuffed into a baked potato, 3 handfuls of baby carrots, and unsweetened shredded coconut

Yesterday I ended up missing a meal because I discovered that my fridge (filled with over $400 in groceries that I bought on Monday) had crapped out on me. This discovery was only after the bathroom repair guy showed up and took out our old bathtub to start remodeling our bathroom. So I spent the day looking for a new fridge and had to throw out some food that was bad or that I didn't trust to eat because I didn't know when during the night the fridge crapped out and everything that had defrosted was in a big puddle in my kitchen floor. UGH! But anyway, this was what my meals looked like for Day 4: 

Breakfast (0900): 1 leftover baked potato stuffed with taco meat made with onions and tomatoes

Snack (1130): 1-2 handfuls of watermelon chunks (trying to salvage what I could from the fridge fiasco)

Snack (1400): 1 medium sweet potato and 1 RXbar 

Dinner (1800): 1 grilled chicken breast with grilled onions, 7 shrimp, 3 cups of broccoli, and unsweetened shredded coconut

Yesterday I got off work later than normal and was starving by the time I got home, that's why I had a late dinner time. I also feel like I ate a lot of potatoes yesterday, more so than I normally do. I can't shake the feeling that because I ate so many potatoes that I didn't do well on my meals yesterday. I know a lot of this has to do with my old mentality that potatoes are too carb-y/starchy and that I need to get out of that mindset, but I also feel like it's my mind telling me that I need to eat more green, leafy vegetables. 

My day 5 meals: 

Breakfast (0745): 2 1/2 hard boiled eggs with guacamole and salsa ; 1/2 baked potato

Break (1400): canned salmon, 1 medium sweet potato, unsweetened shredded coconut

Lunch (1745): canned chicken, 1 cup of broccoli and 1 baked potato, grapes, unsweetened shredded coconut

Dinner (2215): 2 Aidell's chicken & apple sausage links, 1 medium sweet potato, baby carrots, unsweetened shredded coconut

Happy Day 7! Today I'm feeling really drained, but I don't know if it's due to my change in diet, outside stressors, or both.

My meals from day 6:

Breakfast (0600): 2 boiled eggs, 1 cup broccoli, unsweetened coconut flakes

Snack (0900): coconut cream pie Larabar, 1 seaweed sheet

Snack (1245): 1 mini cucumber, 1 mini red bell pepper, 1 mini yellow bell pepper, 1 can of chicken with salsa

Lunch (1515): 1 can tuna, 2 cups of broccoli, 1 medium sweet potato, handful of grapes

Dinner (1945):  http://www.joyfulhealthyeats.com/chicken-sausage-pepper-potato-hash/ with Whole30 mayo

Day 13 and still going! Looking at my log, I think I'm still having trouble getting enough vegetables. And I still need to work on not snacking between meals, but it's hard with my work schedule. I've also decided to extend my journey into a Whole60 due to having a wedding coming up in September that I'm maid of honor for. I haven't been on lately due to my work schedule, but I'll play catch up.

1415: bowl of Whole30 chili, grapes

1730: bowl of Whole30 chili,1 medium sweet potato

2035: 1/2 ziploc bag of baby carrots 

Day 11:

0615: 2 boiled eggs, 1 medium sweet potato, unsweetened coconut flakes

1115: 3 turkey roll-ups with guacamole and salsa, grapes

1400: bowl of Whole30 chili, 1 avocado, 5 strawberries

1745: 1 cucumber, baby carrots, 4 oz. unsweetened apple sauce

1930: 2 Applegate turkey hot dogs, cauliflower rice, Whole30 mayo

Day 12:

0645: bowl of Whole30 chili, cauliflower rice, 1 avocado

1045: RXbar

1200: 2 Applegate turkey hot dogs with Whole30 mayo

1730: 12 shrimp, garden salad with oil & vinegar, 1 cup of broccoli, unsweetened coconut flakes

Day 13: 

Breakfast (0815): turkey roll up with tomato & spinach, 1 baked egg

Snack (1145): 5 baby carrots, 1 boiled egg, 1 medium sweet potato

Lunch (1500): tuna salad and baby carrots

Dinner (1830): beef coconut curry with cabbage, unsweetened coconut flakes 

Yesterday one of my co-workers told me that I've lost weight! :D Unfortunately, I don't feel like I've lost weight, but if someone else notices, then yay! 

Day 14: 

Breakfast (0615): 2 boiled eggs with Whole30 mayo, 1 medium sweet potato

Break (1130): 2 boiled eggs, unsweetened coconut flakes

Lunch (1430): leftover coconut beef curry, blueberries, unsweetened coconut flakes 

Break (1615): grapes

Dinner (2000): steak with asparagus and Whole30 mayo, 1 medium baked potato with ghee 

Yesterday I had one co-worker tell me I look skinny and another co-worker told me that I look fantastic! Wow! I'm glad someone else is noticing the changes to my body! 

Day 15: 

Breakfast (0615): 2 boiled eggs with Whole30 mayo, 1 medium baked potato with ghee

Break (1045): 2 boiled eggs, 1 cucumber, handful of almonds, 1 medium banana

Lunch (1415): Leftover beef coconut curry, unsweetened almond flakes, handful of grapes and blueberries

Dinner (2000): 2 Aidell's chicken apple sausage links with Whole30 mayo and mixed veggies

Day 16:

Breakfast (0600): 2 boiled eggs with Whole30 mayo, baby carrots

Break (1045): 3 seaweed sheets, RXbar, 1 cucumber

Lunch (1400): leftover beef coconut curry, handful of grapes, 7 raw broccoli florets, baby carrots

Break (1730): leftover beef coconut curry, 1 plum

Dinner (1945): ground beef over zoodles - http://thehealthyfoodie.com/ground-beef-over-zoodles/

Busy busy! I can't believe it's already day 21 and I'm still going strong. I feel like my BDD is trying to make me doubt myself and this journey. I don't feel like I've lost any weight despite sticking to the process and every time I go near my scale I'm tempted to weigh myself; however, I don't have that much longer to see how I've done! I know that we're not supposed to focus on the weight loss, but that's a big reason of why I started this journey. I have noticed that I've slept better; not that I was sleeping bad before, but I was a light sleeper and have always been awakened in the middle of the night by my husband's snores. I haven't been waking up in the middle of the night at all, so yay for deeper sleep! 

Day 17:

Breakfast (0845): 2 boiled eggs, mango chunks, baby carrots

Lunch (1145): 1 Aidell's chicken apple sausage,1/2 sirloin with ghee, grape tomatoes 

Dinner (1830): roasted chicken and veggies with Whole30 mayo, blueberries

Day 18: 

Breakfast (0845): 2 boiled eggs with Whole30 mayo, 1 mini cucumber, 3 mini sweet bell peppers

Lunch (1200): leftover beef over zoodles, unsweetened coconut flakes

Snack (1500): Larabar

Dinner (1830): zucchini and acorn squash meatless spaghetti

Day 19: 

Breakfast (0615): 3 boiled eggs with Whole30 mayo, 3 sweet mini bell peppers, 1 mini cucumber 

Break (1100): can of chicken with spaghetti sauce 

Lunch (1400): leftover oven roasted chicken and mixed roasted veggies, blueberries, unsweetened coconut flakes

Break (1800): almonds, Larabar

Dinner (1945): sirloin steak, Brussels sprouts, coleslaw, unsweetened coconut flakes

Day 20:

Breakfast (0615): 2 boiled eggs with Whole30 mayo, 3 mini sweet bell peppers, 1 mini cucumber

Break (1115): can of tuna, 1 medium sweet potato

Lunch (1530): oven roasted chicken, roasted mixed veggies, blueberries

Dinner (1930): 1/2 chicken breast, broccoli, roasted veggies, unsweetened coconut flakes

Day 21: 

Breakfast (0845): 2 boiled eggs with Whole30 mayo, 1 mini cucumber, 3 mini sweet bell peppers 

Snack (1230): 4 oz. unsweetened apple sauce, Larabar

Lunch/Dinner (1615): 1/2 chicken breast, broccoli, unsweetened coconut flakes

Day 22: 

Breakfast (0845): 1/2 chicken breast, 1 avocado, mixed roasted veggies

Lunch (1400): 1/2 chicken breast, mixed roasted veggies, unsweetened coconut flakes

Dinner (1930):  sweet potato cheeseburger casserole- https://www.pinterest.com/pin/353884483210708457/

Day 23: 

Breakfast (0845): 2 boiled eggs with Whole30 mayo

Lunch (1300): 2 chicken breasts with artichoke hearts and sundried tomatoes, broccoli

Dinner (1930): chicken sausage and sweet potato  bake- https://www.pinterest.com/pin/7881368080346970/

Day 24: 

Breakfast (0600): 2 boiled eggs with Whole 30 mayo, 1 tomato

Lunch (1500): leftover chicken sausage & sweet potato bake and unsweetened coconut flakes

Snack (1045): 4 oz. unsweetened applesauce, can of chicken with crushed tomatoes 

Dinner (1945): sirloin steak, cauliflower rice, mixed roasted veggies 

Day 25:

Breakfast (0600): 3 boiled eggs with Whole30 mayo, 1 tomato 

Break (1100): 4 oz. unsweetened applesauce, leftover chicken apple sausage 

Lunch (1400): leftover sirloin steak, cauliflower rice, and mixed roasted veggies

Dinner (1945): chicken breast, broccoli, cauliflower rice, and unsweetened coconut flakes

Day 26: 

Breakfast (0800): 3 boiled eggs with Whole30 mayo, 1 tomato, 4 oz. unsweetened applesauce

Lunch (1100): 1/2 sirloin steak, broccoli, unsweetened coconut flaks

Dinner (1800): salmon filet with avocado salsa, broccoli, cauliflower rice, unsweetened coconut flakes 

I'm getting more anxious as the end of the Whole30 approaches! 

Day 27:

Breakfast (1000): banana, 1 boiled egg, half tomato

Lunch (1130): chicken breast with avocado salsa

Dinner (1630): fajitas with green peppers and onions

Day 28: 

Breakfast (0615): 3 boiled eggs with Whole30 mayo, 1 tomato

Break (1130): baby carrots, 4 chicken roll-ups with salsa, 4 oz. unsweetened applesauce

Lunch (1530): can of tuna, handful of blueberries

Dinner (2000): ground beef and broccoli bowl with ghee

DAY 30!!!! I can't believe I made it! I had a few emergencies where I almost slipped and messed up, but I didn't! One surprising NSV I've noticed is that my teeth are whiter. I didn't realize that changing my eating habits could affect the color of my teeth so much. I didn't even think to credit my eating habits to that until I skimmed through the NSV checklist and realized that that's why! Also, I've been kinda bummed the past week because my BDD had me in the mindset that I haven't made any noticeable (to me) weight loss, but this morning I put on a pair of workout pants that were definitely MUCH looser than the last time I wore them. I'm feeling great today!

Day 29: 

Breakfast (0415): 3 boiled eggs, Whole30 mayo, 1 tomato

Break (0845): 1 banana, 3 boiled eggs

Lunch (1230): leftover beef & broccoli bowl, unsweetened coconut flakes

Break (1615): handful almonds, 4 oz. unsweetened applesauce

Dinner (2015): chicken apple sausage with green peppers & onions, Whole30 potato salad (OMG, AMAZING!) 

I decided yesterday that I'm going to do a Whole60 because I was so impressed with my results from my first ever Whole30! I have a friend who is getting married September 1st, and I am her maid of honor, so I decided to just continue on with another Whole30 and to also incorporate my exercise regime with it (as I didn't exercise last month so I wouldn't get overwhelmed), so I'm hoping that a combination of both will have me looking/feeling great in my maid of honor dress. Without further ado, here are my Whole30 results: 

Start date: July 1 / Start weight: 158.7 lbs.

End date: July 30 / End weight: 152.3 lbs. 

That's a whopping 6.4 lb. weight loss, folks! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I can't believe it! 

I also had some body measurements done before I started the Whole30 (May 24th, to be exact), but I had them re-done yesterday to get a picture of the overall difference in my body. I sure am glad I did so! 

• May 24, 2017
    • Bust: 40 inches
    • Chest: 34 inches
    • Waist: 35 1/2 inches
    • Hips: 42 1/2 inches
    • Thighs: left - 22 in. ; right - 22 in.
    • Upper arm: left - 11 in. ; right - 11 in.
    • Neck: 13 inches 
  • July 30, 2017
    • Bust: 35 inches (lost 5 inches!)
    • Chest: 32 inches (lost 2 inches!)
    • Waist: 32 inches (lost 3 1/4 inches!)
    • Hips: 39 1/4 inches (lost 2 3/4 inches!)
    • Thighs: left - 21 ; right - 21 1/4 (lost 1 inch and 3/4 inch)
    • Upper arm: left - 10 1/2 ; right - 10 3/4 (lost 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch)
    • Neck: 12 1/2 (lost 1/2 inch)

HOLY GUACAMOLE!? I never really considered losing inches in my neck as an actual weight loss goal, but I'll take it! =) I didn't take any Before/After pics because I hate pictures (thanks, BDD!), but I am  VERY pleased with my results. Just goes to show you that hard work pays off! I hope to see more changes in my body as I continue my Whole60 for the month of August. Wish me luck! 

Archived