Red Meat - reactions

Hi!

I am at the VERY END (Day 29!!) of my second Whole 30 and started to plan my reintroduction schedule. I was looking at the reactions one is supposed to have when they are reevaluating food and realized that I had about 4 of them 3 days ago when I had dinner. My friends and I cooked up some steak (and veggies) and I ate the whole thing. ITS SO GOOD. I also had made myself a nice hamburger patty the night before...so that's some more red meat...

However, afterwards  I felt the usual "I'm so full" feeling, probably bloating. And that night I couldn't sleep. And the next day and day after I had intestinal cramps. And I got a PIMPLE. 

First I really really wanted to make sure I didn't screw up my Whole30. I've been so good and technically, it was just meat and we didn't put anything on it except for salt.

Secondly, it seems as if I might be adverse to red meat, or at least steak. I know now not to eat it, and I probably won't. And in my "other life" I didn't really eat steak except for special occasions. So I won't eat it anymore, but do you think I should just cut out all red meat? 

Any help is MUCH appreciated. Especially if you think I screwed up my Whole30. I really did this so I could do the reintroduction and I Hope I didn't mess anything up. 

Was this the first red meat you've eaten the entire Whole30?  Any previous reactions?

Any chance that something was put on the steaks or pan/grill that you don't know about?  Or that it is some kind of stomach bug?

No, you didn't screw up your Whole30. Part of the goal is to learn how foods affect you.  Also, don't go into re-intros thinking "one is supposed to have" reactions.  You may have reactions, you may not.  Either way, you've learned something.

I ate some ground beef in the beginning of the Whole30 but mostly I ate chicken, turkey, and tuna. I don't eat beef that often nor do I eat pork. I didn't have reactions from the ground beef that I could tell, but it was so early on so I'm not sure. But I do know that I have had some of those reactions after eating a bunch of red meat before. I just dealt with them and didn't think anything of it.

Yeah I was just writing down reactions to look out for while I do the reintroduction and it hit me that I had a big one after eating the steak.

I'm glad I didn't screw things up! I'm so close!!

• 2 weeks later...

A couple things jumped out at me - maybe the steak wasn't the best quality? Maybe you were more sensitive to the diet of the cow than the steak itself? The other thing was maybe your friends used vegetable oil on other non-compliant item in the meal and you didn't know? A rub on the steak, perhaps? I'm very sensitive to soybean oil and it makes eating out tricky - if i get bloated after a supposedly compliant meal out then i know some oil that was likely rancid got used on what i was eating. And I found certain spices give me trouble - not sure if it's the actual spice or some preservative in it, but regardless. 

Also, you didn't say what kind of veg you were eating - was it different than what you had been mostly eating? Some people are sensitive to nightshades and others get lots of bloating and gas from brassicas veggies  (broccoli, cauliflower, kale, etc).

You may not love this, but you might wait an extra 3 days (whoops, just saw you posted on June 20th.. oh well) to clear out this reaction before starting reintros - to give yourself a clean slate. And you'll have a chance to test steak/beef separately again toward the end of reintro to see how it goes.

So how are reintros going?

Archived