PRing! (A CrossFit success story)

Snappy Shark

I just had the most incredible workout of my life, and I HAVE to share this amazing feeling with you all.

Some background: I completed my first Whole30 on Sept. 17th, and it changed my life. My story's here.

I started up CrossFit on Day30, and have remained 95% compliant since then (with the non-compliant "cheats" being relatively innocuous things like a glass of wine or two at happy hour, the occasional yummy paleo baked treat, and whatever sugar/grains/corn/etc. restaurants sneak into my gluten-free/soy-free meals when I eat out). I have never been much of an athlete, but before eating paleo I was kind of skinny-fat, running half-marathons on a vegetarian, practically zero-fat diet. Despite all of the miles I was logging, I never was faster than a 9:00-mile, even when practicing sprints.

During my Whole30, during which I barely exercised at all, I read a lot of the paleo literature (Robb Wolf, Mark Sisson, etc.) and decided to give the running shoes a break and get into CrossFit. For the last 1.5 months, I haven't been doing any running at all other than the short sprints that showed up in the WODs from time to time. Today's workout included a 1-mile run, followed by some snatches.

I figured that my running time was going to be pretty much what it had been, and I wasn't even paying that much attention to my time when my sister (who is at the same box as me and has been an amazing source of support and encouragement) was yelling splits at me. I kept thinking, "those numbers CAN'T be right," and "how am I running just a little bit slower than my [super athletic] sister?"

Long story short, I ran a mile in 7:45 without even trying. SEVEN FOURTY-FIVE! I have never, ever run a sub-eight minute mile in my life, even when I was training to run! I can't even describe how exhausted, proud, strong and happy I feel right now. I know that some of my success is rooted in my stronger leg muscles (compliments of all of the squatting I've been doing), but I know that that the Whole30 is what put me on this path in the first place. I am in awe of my body, and am so excited to see what else I can do with it as I continue to eat clean and get strong.

I LOVE THIS PROGRAM. :D

Snappy Shark, that's awesome!! I am doing my second W30 and am a swimmer. I have been taking a hiatus from swimming and will go back in January. I have been CrossFitting for 3 months now and am really curious to see how and if the CrossFit and W30 combination will affect my swimming times. I've been in the same boat, no matter how hard or much I train in swimming I can't seem to shave more than a second or two off my times.

Come this January I am dying to see if there will be an improvement.

Congrats to you!! That's got to feel fabulous! What great motivation!

-Megan

Oi! Your words are so inspiring :) I have been on and off the running but I have always been "slow", no matter how trained I was (on non paleo diet). Now I have been on W30 for a few months (not strictly all the way, have had some restarts) - and I am just getting a hint of the good effects. When I ran today and one week ago, I was noticing less fatigue and more energy. And I haven't excercised in a month!!

I am happy for you! Can't wait until my next run :)

You guys are all wonderful! I love that this place is such a source of positive energy and encouragement. :)

Another set of PRs from my box's 1-rep-max day - got my first squat over 100 pounds and my first power clean using the heavier "big girl" bar (eeked out 80 pounds)! I can totally see why people get addicted to this.

Now, off to finish sipping my beef broth/pumpkin/lard concoction (my arms simply hurt too much to actually cook anything) and take a hot shower and have a very long night of sleep.

Archived