Gin's Whole Life

ginsinnot

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh boy, lime onion sauce--that sounds fabulous! I'd never heard of carnitas until I came across them at Mel Joulwan's site. Sorry you had an upset stomache--is it better now?

It seemed to calm down after some peppermint decaf green tea yesterday afternoon. And before I ate my leftover carnitas, I ate a small sweet potato. The few times I've had any GI upset, the sweet potato really seems to calm things down.

I've been in love with Carnitas since stumbling on Rick Bayless's (sp?) PBS cooking show years ago. Yum!

Though I think I've been eating too much pork lately and will be laying off that for a little bit, need to focus on some variety. Though I'll be eating a TON of beef the next few months, we bought our first local grass fed cow just last week, a quarter portion but it's a lot of beef!

Oh good for you for buying some cow! I'm looking forward to the day we can do that.

I lurve peppermint tea. It is one of those things I never had before the whole30. Oddly enough, the only compliant brand I've found is the safeway store brand.

I can't believe how many teas have junk in them! We even found a tea in our collection that had tuna oil and I don't even know why it was in there. I was very happy that my Celestial Seasonings Candy Cane Lane, a decaf green tea seems to be okay (though I didn't really drink any tea during my Whole30 except a Cardamom Republic of Tea that is actually just whole bits of herbs and spices so nothing to worry about).

Mhmmmmmm. I just ate jerky, from my grassfed locally grown cow that we just picked up last weekend. It's delicious! And no junk in it!

B: Scrambled eggs, bacon (I need to work on this), black coffee, small apple

L: Leftover pork still, pan browned with onion, spinach and red pepper. Pretty tasty leftover concoction.

Snack at my desk (hungry): my grassfed beef jerky :)

D: My husband tells me he's making tacos for me when he gets home. He's been out of state working. He never cooks. I'm very excited. Even if he's probably greasing me up to tell me he'll be working all next holiday weekend or working out of state for the rest of the year or something equally awesome.

Seriously, I'm super geeked about this jerky I'm still eating.

Darn, spoke too soon. Just got a text saying he's still a ways away and hungry. Now what will I have....

Pan seared salmon with sauce of stone ground mustard and coconut aminos, roasted Brussels sprouts.

I'd like to point out that I did not eat the chocolate that literally jumped out of the freezer when I was trying to figure out what to make:)

Just catching up. A quarter cow?! Wow! That's awesome! Does it include many of the more "unusual" cuts?

Did you make the jerky in your oven or in a dehydrator? How did you season it?

And, TUNA OIL IN TEA?!?!? I'm really hoping that's a typo. Otherwise, that's really gross!

Just catching up. A quarter cow?! Wow! That's awesome! Does it include many of the more "unusual" cuts?

Did you make the jerky in your oven or in a dehydrator? How did you season it?

And, TUNA OIL IN TEA?!?!? I'm really hoping that's a typo. Otherwise, that's really gross!

Yes, tuna oil in tea. It was some fortified Omega tea that someone gave my sister at some point. I don't know that I ever drank any, but during the Whole30 we discovered that some teas (a lot) have barley grain stuff or soy lecithin in them and so we started reading our labels and found the tuna oil! Yuck. Don't often throw stuff away, but that all went in the garbage!

I found our "cow" through the eatwild website, found a local grassfed farm that I never even knew existed, only about 40 minutes from my house. What cuts would be "unusual"? It was funny completing the butcher form, I just sort of randomly picked things and told them to call me if anything was too weird :P

I've never had a t-bone steak or a porterhouse and have those in my freezer now. A ton of ground beef. Soup bones. Chuck roasts and some other roasts. Some flank steak I think. Summer sausage and the beef jerkey. The jerky is "regular" flavor from the butcher, no MSG or sugar, just spices. It's so tasty. The summer sausage is likely going to be a holiday evening treat with some good cheese.

It was a little shock to the bank account, around $475 for the quarter cow (175 pound hanging weight) and then about $100 for the butcher costs. But our little freezer is full of beef and I love anything that cuts down on trips to the store. I'm looking forward to making some meatballs this weekend.

B: scrambled eggs, wasn't ver hungry this morning. Black coffee.

L: Went out with work friends. Steak burger, no bun, with mushrooms. Ate a few of their onion rings (best in the area), water to drink. Happily full.

Dinner: special night with my two sisters and my niece for my oldest sister's birthday. Our local awesome family pizza place. We shared 2 small pizzas and fried zucchini and mushrooms. One glass of red wine. Then we headed downtown for our city Silverbells: a light parade, lighting of the state Christmas tree, and all around holiday fun. Found a great church handbell holiday concert on our walk home. Then shared the birthday cake my niece made for her mom and some from-scratch hot chocolate my sister made. Yum and yum and yum. All special treats and a special girls night.

Up bright and early today to head to the last farmers market of the year. A friend sells her amazing French pastries there and we planned a little splurge this morning. Grabbed coffee at a local shop and headed out. Mhmm, Gateau Breton and chocolate hazelnut petit four. Not too sweet, all great quality ingredients and some serious pastry skill:)

Home for scrambled eggs with sausage to balance things a bit.

All buzzed up, coffee shop coffee is much stronger than we make at home!

I had to google Gateau Breton. Dude.

I want some of that and the mad pastry skills! I am a serious cookie and cake pro, but pastry is the one thing I have yet to master.

As for the coffee buzz, that is when I do my best vacuuming! ;)

Enjoy your weekend!

Busy day and now at the end of the day, my body is saying "why"? to my food choices.

Today I did not make good choices. No bingeing or anything, just too much less healthy and not enough more healthy:(

BUT a day like today would have been a good day just a few months ago, regarding food.

So, this is just a reminder of how I feel when I don't apply what I've learned through my W30.

Tomorrow is a new day:)

So Sunday wasn't the best for choices for the day either. I think I have an MSG issue, twice now I've been at a restaurant and picked what I thought was compliant and good to go, then felt suddenly (within an hour) quite awful (bloated, GI upset, headache, the food goes right through me, tired). I think it's MSG, the food (when this has happened) seemed too salty but we're out and I eat it and I'm learning that might not be the best course.

Today has been pretty good. Eggs for breakfast, cooked in some lard. Black coffee, maybe a little strong. I'm finding I'm drinking only about half the coffee I used to drink (a standard sized travel mug). That's a plus.

Lunch: Grassfed ground beef with a small head of red cabbage from the farmers market

Headache this afternoon, decided to take a Tylenol but that and some water seems to have done the trick.

Busy night of running errands planned (drycleaners, banking, etc) but also get to buy some toys for a little 5 year old we picked from a local giving tree. I'm geeked about this. And if I get my errands done quickly enough, then I'll be making the Whole9 cranberry sauce. I looove cranberries!

Cranberry sauce and walnut crusts moved to tonight's agenda, had too much fun shopping for the little ones we found on the giving tree.

Dinner was really satisfying: grass fed ground beef, generous amount of garlic, tomato sauce (actually found a jarred sauce without any sugar, strange chemicals or dairy!) over really great spaghetti squash from the farmer's market.

Sleep: not as good, though I'm loving my white noise app on my iPhone. The ocean waves seem to block out the city traffic effectively (I've been waking at 3am for what seems to be no reason, but I think the traffic picks up again then). I need to work on drinking more water at the end of the work day and not getting thirsty too close to bed time.

Breakfast today: sweet potato from South Carolina that our neighbor brought home from a vacation and shared (they taste much better than the ones from the store or even our organic delivery service) with apples, cinnamon and just a hint of leftover sausage. Black coffee. Oh, a drizzle of coconut butter on the apple-sweet potato mix

Lunch: more spaghetti squash with beef and tomato sauce, added a whole fresh tomato and that was even better.

Well, last night was something. Cooked what I thought was an awesome dinner: grass fed sirloin steaks with mushrooms, spinach with turnips and a mustard sauce. But something wasn't right and boy did we get sick!

But we still managed to make the Whole9 cranberry sauce! It smelled amazing and was really easy to make. We did use our food processer to chop up the figs. I'll try to post some pictures here. It wasn't completely cooled by the time we put it way, so just a small taste: Wow, that will wake you up! Very tart, almost too tart last night. So I'll do a test today when I go home and see how it is.

Breakfast today was pretty basic due to last night's debacle, just some scrambled eggs and coffee. Oh, almost forgot the Pear Tarte Tatin slice. That's a Thanksgiving treat.

Oh dear! That sounds awful! Were you all sick?

Food related illness (from poisoning) can actually take up to 48 hrs to appear, from what I have read; it is not necessarily your most recent meal, but could have been several meals ago.

Hope you feel better!

We are feeling much better today, it went by fast. I pondered which meal, but that was the only meal we've eaten together (my sister and I) in the last 2 days that was the same. We'll never know I guess but I'm glad it's over, it's been years and years since I thought I had any kind of food poisoning issue. Of course, now I don't want to eat any leftovers currently in my fridge! Good thing tomorrow is Thanksgiving and it's all new delicious food.

Archived