Day 28th and my life is forever changed

Judes55

28 days ago I began the Whole30 journey, having no idea, like many who have gone before me of what to expect.  Now the goal is in site and you know what?  I'm not stopping.  I expect to eat this way for the rest of my life.  I'm 61 years old, moderately active woman, still working and looking forward - now - to a fit and healthy retirement in a couple of years!  I found Whole30 by accident.  I googled joint pain, exhaustion etc. because honestly I felt 101, not 61.  It has not been easy and in the early days I struggled with cravings - and last night thought about chocolate for some reason - but that's not who I am anymore.  I've known for some time that dairy and grains were affecting my asthma and I also have arthritis and a bunch of issues with my back that I won't go into.  I'm not entirely pain free yet, but I am starting to exercise!   And I haven't done that in years.  I sleep soundly, breathe easier, my clothes are definitely fitting better, and while I think I've experience a teeny bit of tiger blood - I'm confident it will come.  At Day 10 I came down with a severe chest cold, but I have to say I wasn't bedridden like I usually am.  Sunday, June 25 is Day 30.  On Day 31 I will celebrate with a glass of wine and carry on.  Thinking I might look at legumes - I'm  missing hummus for some reason!  But that's it.  

thanks for listening - I'm also looking for a little advice.  My husband and I are heading to Italy the first two weeks of August.  I know there are many delicious foods in Italy that don't have grains or dairy in them - but right now I'm at a bit of a loss as to what that might look like. 

Well, this may not be a popular opinion, but...

How often do you get to go to Italy?

I know for some, it's a fine line between moderation and losing control, but I would try to experience the wonders of Italian food (of course, within reason). You might want to read up on the specialty of each region you plan to visit, whether produce, or fish, or cured meats, or maybe even pasta once in awhile. Remember, you'll be walking a lot too.

My hunch is you'll find that local Italian food is quite different from a typical Italian restaurant here, where the food is loaded with pasta and cheese and a perfunctory salad with breadsticks. For one thing, I suspect it will be much more produce-centric.

So, my advice is to do some research, and ENJOY. What do you want to remember about this trip 10 years from now? Sitting down at a restaurant and quizzing the waiter as to whether there is soy in the red sauce? Or the fact that you had an incredible, romantic trip seeing the most amazing sights in the world?

Can you tell I wish I was going there myself? :-)

Stephanie

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, Judes55 said:

On Day 31 I will celebrate with a glass of wine and carry on.  Thinking I might look at legumes - I'm  missing hummus for some reason!  But that's it.  

thanks for listening - I'm also looking for a little advice.  My husband and I are heading to Italy the first two weeks of August.  I know there are many delicious foods in Italy that don't have grains or dairy in them - but right now I'm at a bit of a loss as to what that might look like. 

Okay, here's the advice... you have PLENTY of time to do proper reintroductions... I don't know what 'carry on' means to you but I'm assuming you're saying you're going to drink wine and then go back to Whole30.  Given your upcoming trip, it behooves you to do your reintros so you know what is worth it and what is going to level you... I agree with the above poster that I would eat with intent in Italy but I wouldn't want to be worried 'what if there's dairy in here and I poop my pants... I have no idea if dairy is okay for me' as an example... if you do the reintros, you'll find out what your reactions are so you can enjoy the trip with some knowledge of how foods affect you so you can make informed and delicious decisions.

Archived