Strange meal timing regarding my workout tomorrow...any suggestions?

orca_chick

Hi all!

I'm kind of at a loss for what to do tomorrow regarding my meals and workout time.  I usually workout almost in fasting state first thing in the morning (coffee with collagen and nutpods or coconut milk only, no food), then have my post-workout immediately after, and meal 1 usually within 60-90 mins after I return home.  Tomorrow is a strange scenario though.  I usually wake up around 7 on Saturday mornings but my workout will not be until 10:40 tomorrow morning.  I'm signed up for a 90 minute Orangetheory class and it's the only time that is offered tomorrow or for the rest of the month.  My predicament is that I do not have time to eat a full meal prior to my workout since that will make me really sick but I also don't necessarily want to wait until almost 1pm for my first meal.  I would normally have my coffee first thing in the morning and then an RX Bar about 1 hour before to have some fuel in me (they are the only thing I tolerate well prior to and during my workouts).  I've tried nut butters, egg yolks, avocado, and lean protein prior to my workouts but do not tolerate any of it very well.  Any other suggestions?  Maybe a mini meal at 7am with bulletproof coffee??? Then definitely my post workout and a full meal as soon as I get home???  

• Moderators

Ideally, you'd do protein and fat pre-workout. Even if you eat by 7:30, so you've got three hours before the workout, you can't manage to eat anything other than the rxbar? 

It's not a great option, but it's not against the rules to do what you're suggesting. 

And just reread and realized I totally missed part of the post. A full meal or mini meal as soon as possible when you get up would be a better option than just a bar, two hours after waking up.

Just now, ShannonM816 said:

Ideally, you'd do protein and fat pre-workout. Even if you eat by 7:30, so you've got three hours before the workout, you can't manage to eat anything other than the rxbar? 

It's not a great option, but it's not against the rules to do what you're suggesting. 

Thanks for your reply!  I *might* be able to tolerate a mini meal but so far I haven't been successful with tolerating much of anything prior to my workouts.  I need at least 4 hours but preferably 5 hours or more between my last meal and working out so that I don't feel sick.  On days where I workout in the afternoon, I have to be very careful with my meal timing otherwise I'm absolutely miserable during my workouts since I feel like I'm going to be sick the entire time.  It's strange, because I'm usually ravenous after and have no problems eating.  I accidentally discovered that I do well with RXBars while marathon training since any kind of gel, gummies, fruit, nut butters, toast, or baby food packets did not work for me.  For whatever reason, RXBars work (but not Larabars, which are almost the same...so strange).

Maybe I'll try some bulletproof coffee and a hard boiled egg since I have 3 hours...

Just an update, decided to try for a mini meal this morning since I woke up starving at 6:30am and I know RX Bars are supposed to be for emergencies only.  I struggled with the idea of using them in a way that wasn't in the spirit of the W30.  With that being said, my mini-meal wasn't my typical one since I'm still being careful of the food I eat this morning to reduce the likelihood of feeling sick. I decided on a small sweet potato (1/3-1/2 of my fist) with about 1 tbsp of almond butter and 1 HB egg.  Now I'm having my normal coffee with collagen and nutpods.  If needed, I'll have a 2nd cup of coffee with some full fat coconut milk.  I have my post workout meal packed and ready to go and will come home immediately after and prepare a full meal.  I'm just planning on eating the upper end of the template if I'm hungry to help make up for the lack of food this morning or adding in another mini-meal this afternoon to help keep up.

I'm hopeful this will work out and I'll have a great time later this morning!

7 hours ago, ThyPeace said:

So, how did it go?

ThyPeace, curious.

Meh, it was ok.  I didn't feel like I wanted to vomit the entire time which is definitely a plus but my stomach still just felt off.  I definitely scaled back my intensity slightly though in order to keep myself from feeling sick.  I haven't found the magic combination of real food that really works for me as a pre-workout yet.  RXBars and protein shakes (I use PaleoPro when I'm not on a W30) seem to be just about it so far...

I felt fine after my workout though and was STARVING, haha!  

Not feeling like you want to throw up is a great start to any day.  

I was thinking about the difference between an RXBar and a LaraBar.  Seems like the main difference is egg white.  Have you tried cutting the RXBar in half and adding two egg whites, just to see what that mix does?  

ThyPeace, just guessing here.

11 hours ago, ThyPeace said:

Not feeling like you want to throw up is a great start to any day.  

I was thinking about the difference between an RXBar and a LaraBar.  Seems like the main difference is egg white.  Have you tried cutting the RXBar in half and adding two egg whites, just to see what that mix does?  

ThyPeace, just guessing here.

I haven't but definitely will try it!  Luckily my schedule allows me to work out fasting most of the time so this isn't normally a huge issue.  I tend to plan my rest days for days that I can't workout first thing since afternoon workouts can be really rough on my digestive system.

• 2 months later...

Curious for you, orca_chick, I normally workout at 5:30am.  Like you, the thought of eating before a workout is not appealing to me in the least.  What do you do as your quick post workout meal (and meal later)?  I'm starting W30 on Tuesday and trying to figure out how to finagle my mornings!

Archived