brand new here

kelly dawn

Hi guys, This is my third whole 30 since last winter. First one was great! Second one ended badly and really was a continuation of the first one, but my brother passed away and I never did have a reintroduce time, if you know what I mean.So really I guess I just did one whole 30 that lasted two months and had no closure.  I have a bunch of nagging little health issues and am over weight. 230 pounds starting out. Yes i want to be healthy and to do that I have to lose weight and figure out what my food trips and triggers are? I know one thing I do is not eat all day and then over eat at 10:00 at night! I know, I know lol, not good. Nothing tastes good anymore?? No satiation. What do I eat for breakfast, what time should I eat breakfast and lunch and dinner, should I eat three times a day?? Hey thanks and glad to be here, hope we can be friends.

• Moderators

Hi there. I'm sorry to hear about your brother, that could easily derail anyone's Whole30. Good for you for getting back to it now, though. Go ahead and plan out your reintroduction for this time, and consider it just as set in stone as your initial 30 days, because it really is just as important to help you figure out what foods work for you so you can plan your own food freedom going forward.

For best results, eat your first meal of the day within an hour of waking up, and then plan your other meals at 4-5 hour intervals after that. Ideally, you'll have at least a couple of hours between your last meal of the day and when you go to bed. 

If you're not used to eating breakfast, or eating three meals each day, this may be difficult at first, but do the best you can to stick to this schedule. If you're not hungry when you wake up in the morning, plate up a full breakfast, eat what you can, and when you feel you can't eat anymore, set it aside, and then as soon as you feel you could eat a little more go back to it. Over time, you should notice you're eating more of it initially until at some point you can eat a full meal then. If you're ever hungry between meals or if you have a little longer than 4-5 hours between meals, have a mini meal with protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three. If you're finding that you're not satisfied after your meals, you probably need to look at whether you're really matching the meal template. Remember that it's a minimum amount, and it's okay to have more if you're hungry. Also remember that healthy fats are good for you, help your food taste good, and help you stay satisfied for longer between meals, so don't be afraid of them. Typically, you'll want to pick one or two fat options from the template in addition to the fat you cook in. 

As for what you eat, at breakfast or any other meal, just pick things that sound good to you that match the meal template. Some people stick to eggs for breakfast, but you don't have to. Here's a previous discussion of non-egg breakfasts that people have actually eaten. Leftovers work well, since they're easy to reheat.  If you need recipe ideas, there is a Whole30 cookbook, or all the recipes on Whole Life Eating are Whole30 compliant, or most of the ones on Mel Joulwan's Well Fed site (or in her Well Fed books if you prefer books), or many of the ones on Nom Nom Paleo (she also has a couple of books). There are also lots of other recipes all over the internet, just be sure you read them carefully and be sure they follow the rules or be sure you modify them. Depending on how much you've cooked in the past, you may be able to adapt favorite recipes as well. There are meal planning websites and apps if you want to try those -- I know Real Plans is one that has been promoted pretty heavily lately, but I've never used it so I can't speak to how it works. There are also free options out there. I prefer to do a weekly cookup type of thing, so there's plenty of food in the fridge that I can just take out and heat up quickly at meal times. 

Archived