Post Workout for strength training

jenna

Hi there, I have the ISWF book and have read the section on athletes. My question is about post workout fueling for strength training only. The chart regarding carbohydrate intake in the book is geared towards high intensity exercise. Some days I do strength training only - for example, tomorrow I have a 5x5 heavy back squat as well as push press, pendlay rows, and jerks. It's not a timed workout, so I don't know if it would qualify as high intensity training. However, anytime there is a 5x5 back squat involved, it really does take a lot out of your body.

My question: To add carbs Post workout if only strength training had been done that day?

My warm-up always does include about 7 minutes of row "sprints" - not all out but enough to get me sweating and breathing hard, that's for sure.

I'm leaning towards adding the carbs as I am relatively lean (~18%bf) though not as lean as I would like BUT I am also battling some self-described "adrenal fatigue" and wanting to keep my carbs up for that. What would you all recommend?

Unless your trying to keep your calories down you should always have carbs post workout with protein. having protein alone, or not enough carbs, will force your body to use your protein as a form of energy. this takes away from your protein, and doesn't help with replenishing your glycogen.

• Moderators

Your energy levels may suffer if you don't eat some sweet potato or other carbs in your post-workout meal, so I would recommend you do. I ate sardines and sweet potato after workouts routinely and still lost weight, so you can keep leaning out and keep your energy up.

Thanks! I went ahead and had my Post Workout meal with sweet potatoes. However, my coach added a conditioning workout last minute, and I had to do it 4 hours after my first "workout". I really wasn't hungry before, but I did force down a couple bites of chicken and cashews for my pre workout snack, but then my conditioning workout was only 6.5 minutes. Afterwards I really wasn't hungry for a post workout meal! i did have a few bites of chicken and sweet potatoes, and then I ate lunch about 90 minutes later.

Any tips for multiple workouts in one day?

yeah, I am careful. It was only a two-a-day because my son woke up and I had to cut my workout short. I normally just do one session. And I always have the option of not doing the conditioning (because strength is my weakness....wind is my strength) if I am feeling over trained. For that matter, I always have the option of resting if I am feeling like I need to! I agree two-a-days are not usually necessary or smart, but I definitely do them occasionally (and, for competition).

Thanks for looking out for me Tom :)

Archived