How Important is Breakfast within an Hour of Waking

I'm on Day 7 and I think I I have too many questions.  I've always been preoccupied with obsessive food thoughts (what to eat, not to eat, when, etc) but this week has been extremely challenging since I cut out my fruit grazing.  I am hoping to get my hormones balanced and start burning fat soon but I have a question: if I'm following the meal templates but eating at 10:30, 3:30 and 9pm with a couple of late afternoon/ workout snacks, will I get my hormones balanced? I really struggle to get my morning workout in after my girls go to school and before I start work. I don't have time to eat too.  I tried eating before my morning workout today and I think I was hungrier after than I would have been if I didn't eat.  I also read elsewhere that it's good to do cardio in the morning before food because you tap into fat stores for energy.  This is opposite of Whole30 guidelines. Also, I have to take Meds on an empty stomach.   I just tend to get really irritable and more food obsessed and never satisfied later the in afternoon and at night and it's making me crazy. I'm scared to eat earlier because it would be like adding another meal.  I'd still want the 11Am meal and all the ones after that. I eat dinner at 9pm because that's when my schedule permits.  If I had to eat early breakfast I guess it would be 7AM? Are these types of things covered in "It starts with Food"? I have the Whole30 book and the cookbook. 

Yes. All of your questions can be answered by reading ISWF.  If you google Whole 30 with your questions, they've all been answered on the forum, too.  Meal timing, hormone healing, snacks, the  Whole works, in entirety. 

• 3 months later...

Hi all,
First time poster here (does anyone know why this is so intimidating?)
I know there are other posts on this topic but this is the most recent one I could find, I'm not sure if posting on a more recent thread is more likely to get a reply?

Like many others I have a busy morning routine. I get up between 5 and 5:30 and between showering and blow drying and actually cooking a full breakfast I don't usually end up with enough time to eat it before heading to work, so I usually end up tossing it in a to-go container and taking it with me and eating at my desk around 8/8:30

My question is - would it be better to eat a mini meal/snack with 2/3 macros immediately when I wake up in addition to M1, M2, M3, and any pre/post WO? I don't want to add in any unnecessary meals, I'd like to stick as close to the template as possible. (Hi I'm quinnmj, and I'm a rule follower)

Thanks in advance!

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, quinnmj said:

Hi all,
First time poster here (does anyone know why this is so intimidating?)
I know there are other posts on this topic but this is the most recent one I could find, I'm not sure if posting on a more recent thread is more likely to get a reply?

Like many others I have a busy morning routine. I get up between 5 and 5:30 and between showering and blow drying and actually cooking a full breakfast I don't usually end up with enough time to eat it before heading to work, so I usually end up tossing it in a to-go container and taking it with me and eating at my desk around 8/8:30

My question is - would it be better to eat a mini meal/snack with 2/3 macros immediately when I wake up in addition to M1, M2, M3, and any pre/post WO? I don't want to add in any unnecessary meals, I'd like to stick as close to the template as possible. (Hi I'm quinnmj, and I'm a rule follower)

Thanks in advance!

Okay so can I just clarify, you wake up at 5 and it's 3 hours before you can sit and have your food? What happens if you made something ahead of time so you didn't have to cook in the morning?  Or ate on transit on the way to work or in your car? Neither of these are ideal in the 'sit down and eat a meal' context but waiting for 3 hours isn't ideal either.  I don't think doing a mini meal would save you that much more time than just making a meal ahead of time and eating it when you wake up... assuming you'd prepare your mini meal or eat something that doesn't require cooking... just apply that principle to a full sized meal.

Yes, usually about three hours between waking and eating. I usually make a big batch of egg salad at the beginning of the week for preWO and was thinking of a small scoop of this and some carrots or bell pepper right when I get up so I wouldn't need to do any extra prep or cooking. 

As for pre-made breakfasts I have one of those tiny little euro fridges so real estate is already limited with all my good whole30 groceries taking up my fridge/freezer space so it's easier to cook as I go breakfast-wise.
I really enjoy full hot breakfast, and I've been loving the breakfast recipes for frittatas and breakfast tacos and hash, but with the chopping and cooking and everything taking up so much time, I may have to sacrifice for something simpler - scrambled eggs and some quick steamed veggies or something. Or get up even earlier :wacko:

Archived