Post-Whole 30 Recommendations for Ectomorphs

ebee

Not sure if this is posted in the right place or not, but I think so.

A little on me and my history with W30:

- I am an ectomorph. I am thin (though not as much as I once was), tall, and struggle to build and maintain muscle mass. My metabolism is still high for a middle-aged man, but slowing with age and (likely) drop in testosterone.

- I completed the W30 program with my SO back last December (started in November). We got through it without too much issue. She was grumpy the first few days due to sugar withdrawals, but otherwise we marched right through. Our only real snag was that we were sick to death of cooking our own meals and trying to have a real life at the same time (not possible). Also interesting with children in the house, but that's another story.

Why I'm here asking:

- I want to make it clear that I'm not trying to stir the pot here. I have researched a little bit (during my W30 run I had issues with fatigue and weight loss - more on that later), and I'm aware that conventional wisdom within the program is "you're doing it wrong". That's understandable to me for both practical and ideological reasons. Sometimes adjustments have to be made to accommodate extreme diet changes (for the better).

- I AM here because I feel like this is the best place to find others like me that have done W30 and/or Paleo and have the same struggles I do with this diet.

- I AM here because I LIKE this diet/lifestyle and see that there are large benefits to it for both me and my SO (she, in particular, sees GREAT benefits both physically and mentally). Namely, I sleep better (which is a HUGE deal for me) and have slightly better "long burn" mental/psychological energy. I also consume FAR more vegetables eating this way. I like that a lot.

The problem:

- I lose weight at a prodigious rate under the W30 program. We are about to embark on another round, but this time, for me, it's going to be "W30 Lite". But last time, I lost weight to the point of appearing gaunt, and my ribs beginning to show (hasn't been like that since I was a kid). If it were only these minor changes in appearance, I probably wouldn't be bothered (though those around me were concerned). To cut it off at the pass, I never weighed myself, nor counted calories during W30. I never did either prior to W30, either. I just didn't care. I got my weight when I went to the doctor. But for the first time in my life, I became concerned when I realized I'd lost 10% of my body weight in a month from a body that wasn't substantial to begin with. I did weigh myself after the program.

- I did W30 to try and combat a skin allergy condition and use it as an isolation diet, FWIW. Any other benefits were secondary. It did not alleviate my skin issue, but did get me to be more methodical about documenting my food intake to try and track what might be the cause (still working on that).

- I simply cannot workout without carbs or natural sugars (that I am aware of - but am all ears for suggestions I haven't tried). This isn't new for me. I learned long ago that without orange juice or some kind of carbohydrates prior to a morning workout, I would literally pass out. I started exercising only in the afternoons. It helped. But during W30, the deeper I got into the diet, the worse it got. By the end of week three, I stopped working out entirely. I was lifting less and couldn't even swim half of what I am accustomed to (usually a light/medium cardio for me is ~750 meters, 2-3 times per week).

- I have read and heeded the advice to eat more frequently, eat a higher volume of foods, etc. But unfortunately, this did not solve my problem. After W30, I found that about 1/2-cup of quinoa or oats, and/or a shot of orange juice (or a fruit smoothie) was the recipe for me being able to not fatigue doing either cardio or lifting.

- As an aside, my bowel movements NEVER returned to normal (solid) during my W30 trek. As soon as I re-added whole grains, they *immediately* returned to normal. I am now firmly back to misbehaving dietarily, as I've been having sugar desserts (I don't normally eat/crave sugar all that much), beer, wine, and potato chips (my weakness is fried potatoes), so I've swung TOO far back the other way. We are ready to get back on track.

- As another note, I am technically healthy. My bloodwork is clean and well within range. Although my cholesterol did rise to borderline levels after W30 (damn bacon).

The question:

- For those of you that have done W30 and are my body type/have dealt with this previously, what have you added back to your diet that isn't technically W30-compliant, but is trying to stay as true as possible while still solving the twin problems of fatigue and too much weight loss?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, ebee said:

Not sure if this is posted in the right place or not, but I think so.

A little on me and my history with W30:

- I am an ectomorph. I am thin (though not as much as I once was), tall, and struggle to build and maintain muscle mass. My metabolism is still high for a middle-aged man, but slowing with age and (likely) drop in testosterone.

- I completed the W30 program with my SO back last December (started in November). We got through it without too much issue. She was grumpy the first few days due to sugar withdrawals, but otherwise we marched right through. Our only real snag was that we were sick to death of cooking our own meals and trying to have a real life at the same time (not possible). Also interesting with children in the house, but that's another story.

Why I'm here asking:

- I want to make it clear that I'm not trying to stir the pot here. I have researched a little bit (during my W30 run I had issues with fatigue and weight loss - more on that later), and I'm aware that conventional wisdom within the program is "you're doing it wrong". That's understandable to me for both practical and ideological reasons. Sometimes adjustments have to be made to accommodate extreme diet changes (for the better).

- I AM here because I feel like this is the best place to find others like me that have done W30 and/or Paleo and have the same struggles I do with this diet.

- I AM here because I LIKE this diet/lifestyle and see that there are large benefits to it for both me and my SO (she, in particular, sees GREAT benefits both physically and mentally). Namely, I sleep better (which is a HUGE deal for me) and have slightly better "long burn" mental/psychological energy. I also consume FAR more vegetables eating this way. I like that a lot.

The problem:

- I lose weight at a prodigious rate under the W30 program. We are about to embark on another round, but this time, for me, it's going to be "W30 Lite". But last time, I lost weight to the point of appearing gaunt, and my ribs beginning to show (hasn't been like that since I was a kid). If it were only these minor changes in appearance, I probably wouldn't be bothered (though those around me were concerned). To cut it off at the pass, I never weighed myself, nor counted calories during W30. I never did either prior to W30, either. I just didn't care. I got my weight when I went to the doctor. But for the first time in my life, I became concerned when I realized I'd lost 10% of my body weight in a month from a body that wasn't substantial to begin with. I did weigh myself after the program.

- I did W30 to try and combat a skin allergy condition and use it as an isolation diet, FWIW. Any other benefits were secondary. It did not alleviate my skin issue, but did get me to be more methodical about documenting my food intake to try and track what might be the cause (still working on that).

- I simply cannot workout without carbs or natural sugars (that I am aware of - but am all ears for suggestions I haven't tried). This isn't new for me. I learned long ago that without orange juice or some kind of carbohydrates prior to a morning workout, I would literally pass out. I started exercising only in the afternoons. It helped. But during W30, the deeper I got into the diet, the worse it got. By the end of week three, I stopped working out entirely. I was lifting less and couldn't even swim half of what I am accustomed to (usually a light/medium cardio for me is ~750 meters, 2-3 times per week).

- I have read and heeded the advice to eat more frequently, eat a higher volume of foods, etc. But unfortunately, this did not solve my problem. After W30, I found that about 1/2-cup of quinoa or oats, and/or a shot of orange juice (or a fruit smoothie) was the recipe for me being able to not fatigue doing either cardio or lifting.

- As an aside, my bowel movements NEVER returned to normal (solid) during my W30 trek. As soon as I re-added whole grains, they *immediately* returned to normal. I am now firmly back to misbehaving dietarily, as I've been having sugar desserts (I don't normally eat/crave sugar all that much), beer, wine, and potato chips (my weakness is fried potatoes), so I've swung TOO far back the other way. We are ready to get back on track.

- As another note, I am technically healthy. My bloodwork is clean and well within range. Although my cholesterol did rise to borderline levels after W30 (damn bacon).

The question:

- For those of you that have done W30 and are my body type/have dealt with this previously, what have you added back to your diet that isn't technically W30-compliant, but is trying to stay as true as possible while still solving the twin problems of fatigue and too much weight loss?

Hey there

Thanks for taking the time to share all this information with us.  A few things before we get to your question... 

Conventional wisdom for people who are struggling with energy or fatigue is not 'you're doing it wrong'.  No one has ever said that on these forums.  We do give people direction and advice because usually they are undereating and bumping up the meals, sticking to the template and recommendations usually resolves the problem.

There's no such thing as Whole30 Lite.  There's Whole30 and there's Food Freedom.  If your Food Freedom is based on Whole30 principles with some additional items added in that you're comfortable with, that's your eating plan.  But we don't support 'Whole 30 +' on the forums because there's no such thing.

The recommendations for pre and post workout are for the average and the majority... if you have a condition or context that is an outlier to the average and the majority, and you know how to combat it, then definitely do that... we don't want you passing out!

When you heeded the advice to eat a higher volume of foods, did you also increase your fats substantially?  I mean really increase, like a whole avocado at every meal, heaping handfuls of olives, lots of cooking fat, a coconut milk latte etc... 

Okay, for the question... we don't give advice on the best of the worst...I don't understand the 'staying true as possible'.  If you add back in foods that are off plan, then it's not true to Whole30 on any level.  If you know that grains help you keep on weight, beat fatigue and don't cause you any problems, then they should probably be part of your food freedom... 

33 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Hey there

Thanks for taking the time to share all this information with us.  A few things before we get to your question... 

Conventional wisdom for people who are struggling with energy or fatigue is not 'you're doing it wrong'.  No one has ever said that on these forums.  We do give people direction and advice because usually they are undereating and bumping up the meals, sticking to the template and recommendations usually resolves the problem.

There's no such thing as Whole30 Lite.  There's Whole30 and there's Food Freedom.  If your Food Freedom is based on Whole30 principles with some additional items added in that you're comfortable with, that's your eating plan.  But we don't support 'Whole 30 +' on the forums because there's no such thing.

The recommendations for pre and post workout are for the average and the majority... if you have a condition or context that is an outlier to the average and the majority, and you know how to combat it, then definitely do that... we don't want you passing out!

When you heeded the advice to eat a higher volume of foods, did you also increase your fats substantially?  I mean really increase, like a whole avocado at every meal, heaping handfuls of olives, lots of cooking fat, a coconut milk latte etc... 

Okay, for the question... we don't give advice on the best of the worst...I don't understand the 'staying true as possible'.  If you add back in foods that are off plan, then it's not true to Whole30 on any level.  If you know that grains help you keep on weight, beat fatigue and don't cause you any problems, then they should probably be part of your food freedom... 

Thanks for the clarifications, Sugarcube.

Here are a few of my own:

- I'm a fairly objective person. When I say "you're doing it wrong", it isn't a value statement. It means that there is literally something that needs to be altered in that person's individual plan. That's what I've seen on the forums when folks become concerned about fatigue or overloss. Nothing wrong with that. What at work I would refer to as an iterative process.

- My reference to "Whole30 Lite" was due to ignorance of the term "Food Freedom", and certainly not meant to legally or procedurally derail other clients/users. Thank you. I'll reference your term in the future as the official nomenclature of non-W30 dietary methods.

- I increased EVERYTHING substantially. More fat did not seem to alleviate fatigue during exercise and also exacerbated my excretory woes. 

- When I say "staying true as possible", I meant a base W30 diet with added elements that aren't W30-compliant. What I now know as "Food Freedom". 

- I don't think I have a "condition", per se, but I may be an outlier. I really have no idea. I suspect that if I am not, I may get some input here from others like me (thus my presence here). If I am, I will probably hear radio silence. And that's fine, too. I can figure it out on my own, but would prefer to try and base my core diet around W30 principles.

All that being said, if there is anyone here that has had success with their Food Freedom diet that incorporates pillars of W30 and Paleo as their base, what non-compliant foods (minimal if possible) have you added to help with fatigue/weight loss and how frequently?

Sugarcube, if I am violating rules here by soliciting "the best of the worst", then please let me know and I will depart as quickly as I signed up. If that is policy only of moderators and company representative and other are allowed to chime in, then I'd love to hear from them. 

2 hours ago, ebee said:

Thanks for the clarifications, Sugarcube.

Here are a few of my own:

- I'm a fairly objective person. When I say "you're doing it wrong", it isn't a value statement. It means that there is literally something that needs to be altered in that person's individual plan. That's what I've seen on the forums when folks become concerned about fatigue or overloss. Nothing wrong with that. What at work I would refer to as an iterative process.

- My reference to "Whole30 Lite" was due to ignorance of the term "Food Freedom", and certainly not meant to legally or procedurally derail other clients/users. Thank you. I'll reference your term in the future as the official nomenclature of non-W30 dietary methods.

- I increased EVERYTHING substantially. More fat did not seem to alleviate fatigue during exercise and also exacerbated my excretory woes. 

- When I say "staying true as possible", I meant a base W30 diet with added elements that aren't W30-compliant. What I now know as "Food Freedom". 

- I don't think I have a "condition", per se, but I may be an outlier. I really have no idea. I suspect that if I am not, I may get some input here from others like me (thus my presence here). If I am, I will probably hear radio silence. And that's fine, too. I can figure it out on my own, but would prefer to try and base my core diet around W30 principles.

All that being said, if there is anyone here that has had success with their Food Freedom diet that incorporates pillars of W30 and Paleo as their base, what non-compliant foods (minimal if possible) have you added to help with fatigue/weight loss and how frequently?

Sugarcube, if I am violating rules here by soliciting "the best of the worst", then please let me know and I will depart as quickly as I signed up. If that is policy only of moderators and company representative and other are allowed to chime in, then I'd love to hear from them. 

You could probably take your question to a different section of the forums - I think there are Whole30 re-intro and Life After Whole30 sections here.

3 minutes ago, racheleats said:

You could probably take your question to a different section of the forums - I think there are Whole30 re-intro and Life After Whole30 sections here.

Ah. That would probably be most helpful. Thank you. :)

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, ebee said:

Ah. That would probably be most helpful. Thank you. :)

I can move it to Off Track/Staying On Track for you.  I was actually thinking about that... we still don't give best of the worst recommendations but in those areas people can share their own food freedom which may spark discussion that helps you.  

Here are some articles written by the founders as well

https://whole30.com/2013/12/keeping-weight-whole30/

http://whole9life.com/2014/04/weight-gain-101/

• Administrators
4 hours ago, ebee said:

I'd be curious to see a few typical days of what you'd been eating once you did bump up your consumption. It sounds to me like you didn't ever reach fat adaptation which is why adding more fats didn't help with your energy. If you're interested, give a run down of portions and composition for a few typical days and we can take a look. For certain we would recommend that people with no weight to lose would eat more, including high calorie smoothies. The only thing with that is that if you aren't fat adapted yet, the smoothies could likely inhibit that.

As far as your poos go, my husband is the same way. He does great with some grains (buns/bread mostly) and feels much better than when he doesn't have it. He also is quite sensitive to resistant starches so we no longer serve leftover potatoes or rice because his digestive system cannot handle it and gives his the runs. Did you tend to eat quite a bit of cooked and then cooled/reheated potato during your Whole30?

As I said, I'm a bit curious so feel free to respond if you want. :) 

6 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

I can move it to Off Track/Staying On Track for you.  I was actually thinking about that... we still don't give best of the worst recommendations but in those areas people can share their own food freedom which may spark discussion that helps you.  

Here are some articles written by the founders as well

https://whole30.com/2013/12/keeping-weight-whole30/

http://whole9life.com/2014/04/weight-gain-101/

Thanks, Sugarcube. Since we weren't actively calorie counting during our first run of W30, I've no idea whether I was eating enough. But I did notably increase intake after losing weight. However, I did NOT make smoothies or increase fruit intake, which is a recommendation near the end of that first article. Perhaps that might be of help. My body processes sugars VERY quickly. It's why I can't sustain on junkfood. I need real, wholesome meals (I always have). But I think the opposite might also be true for me. Sometimes my burn rate is SO fast that I need a little octane boost to try and feed the burn rate. It's also possible that W30 just isn't the right fit for me as a lifestyle choice. Everyone is a bit different.

5 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

I'd be curious to see a few typical days of what you'd been eating once you did bump up your consumption. It sounds to me like you didn't ever reach fat adaptation which is why adding more fats didn't help with your energy. If you're interested, give a run down of portions and composition for a few typical days and we can take a look. For certain we would recommend that people with no weight to lose would eat more, including high calorie smoothies. The only thing with that is that if you aren't fat adapted yet, the smoothies could likely inhibit that.

As far as your poos go, my husband is the same way. He does great with some grains (buns/bread mostly) and feels much better than when he doesn't have it. He also is quite sensitive to resistant starches so we no longer serve leftover potatoes or rice because his digestive system cannot handle it and gives his the runs. Did you tend to eat quite a bit of cooked and then cooled/reheated potato during your Whole30?

As I said, I'm a bit curious so feel free to respond if you want. :) 

Great question, ladyshanny. It's been long enough that I couldn't remember even if I try. 

I'm not sure if I reached fat adaptation or not, but I certainly didn't have a lot to burn to begin with. 

I just finished reading Mark Sisson's article on fat adaption here:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/what-does-it-mean-to-be-fat-adapted/

And it's interesting. I don't get hungry when I miss meals (usually) and haven't exercised a lot. I do sometimes get cranky. I never need naps. I never got headaches or fuzziness when I was on W30. But based on his list, you may be right, because I sure couldn't exercise without carbs and it just kept getting worse and worse. Maybe, ironically, it's going to take me getting to near starvation-level to trigger the fat adaptation. If 45 days wasn't long enough (with calculated re-introductions of foods), then it's going to be a long process for me. Might be worth it in the end, I dunno. I probably need to read up more on how long it takes some to reach fat adaption and what they do/have done to trigger the process, especially when they are of my body type.

To the potato question, I rarely had them during W30. I would occasionally cook them for breakfast later in the diet, though, mainly due to my realization that I needed more starches, especially for intense/prolonged physical days (I remember cooking them when we were moving thousands of pounds of autoparts by hand).

FWIW, large amounts of bread can make me have issues. However, potatoes have never been a problem for me to process. They are actually a comfort food for me. They taste good, feel good, and don't bother me later. Sweet potatoes, OTOH, are a taste I'm still trying to learn to appreciate. :)

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, ebee said:

Maybe, ironically, it's going to take me getting to near starvation-level to trigger the fat adaptation. If 45 days wasn't long enough (with calculated re-introductions of foods), then it's going to be a long process for me. Might be worth it in the end, I dunno. I probably need to read up more on how long it takes some to reach fat adaption and what they do/have done to trigger the process, especially when they are of my body type.

No, please don't do that. There's only so much advice that we can give people and especially if you don't generally fall into the "usual" categories, it makes it tougher because none of us are dieticians or nutritionists. We know the program and most of the ins and outs and that's what we can work with. Anything outside of that and we are giving advice outside of our training and knowledge and that can be dangerous.

That said, I would not let yourself get anywhere near starvation, friend. No. Fat adaptation generally happens if you are following the meal template, timing your meals 4-5 hours apart starting within an hour of waking and not relying on fruits or carbs as stand alones to get by. That said, based on your description of yourself and your Whole30, it sounds like you don't really fall into any of our "generally" areas.

If you did want to try and continue on without losing any weight or suffering during exercise, I would think it would be beneficial for you to seek out someone in person who is a functional medicine doctor that agrees with/abides by paleo and/or Whole30. 

6 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

No, please don't do that. There's only so much advice that we can give people and especially if you don't generally fall into the "usual" categories, it makes it tougher because none of us are dieticians or nutritionists. We know the program and most of the ins and outs and that's what we can work with. Anything outside of that and we are giving advice outside of our training and knowledge and that can be dangerous.

That said, I would not let yourself get anywhere near starvation, friend. No. Fat adaptation generally happens if you are following the meal template, timing your meals 4-5 hours apart starting within an hour of waking and not relying on fruits or carbs as stand alones to get by. That said, based on your description of yourself and your Whole30, it sounds like you don't really fall into any of our "generally" areas.

If you did want to try and continue on without losing any weight or suffering during exercise, I would think it would be beneficial for you to seek out someone in person who is a functional medicine doctor that agrees with/abides by paleo and/or Whole30. 

Hehe. Sorry, ladyshanny. I didn't mean to intimate that I'd *literally* starve myself. But I'm reading up now on what "normal" fat adaption timelines look like to see what I might be able to do differently, or if my body just eats itself more quickly than everyone else's. :)

I'm a certified nutritionist (although ladyshanny might have forgotten as I haven't been around the forums much lately!) and my first request from clients is ALWAYS a food diary - it's impossible to suggest changes unless we know exactly HOW you were eating, as even compliant meals can prevent fat adaptation depending on their composition - and if you think you weren't fat adapted in 45 days then I'd bet good money that this is what was to blame. I'd wonder if you weren't tinkering on the edge of ketosis initially (which is not the aim here) but never quite made it there - which would definitely have had an effect on training/overall mood etc  - and then prevented fat adaptation with the increased carb intake just as ladyshanny suggested.... That's just a hunch though based on what you've said.

Often the focus is on recommending people go low carb, high fat for energy... then when that doesn't work it's more carbs.... but how was your protein intake? It could be that your work outs suffered & your weight dropped because you weren't providing your muscles with enough protein to recover/repair/grow and so the muscle you had was being burned off.

Just a thought.

9 hours ago, jmcbn said:

I'm a certified nutritionist (although ladyshanny might have forgotten as I haven't been around the forums much lately!) and my first request from clients is ALWAYS a food diary - it's impossible to suggest changes unless we know exactly HOW you were eating, as even compliant meals can prevent fat adaptation depending on their composition - and if you think you weren't fat adapted in 45 days then I'd bet good money that this is what was to blame. I'd wonder if you weren't tinkering on the edge of ketosis initially (which is not the aim here) but never quite made it there - which would definitely have had an effect on training/overall mood etc  - and then prevented fat adaptation with the increased carb intake just as ladyshanny suggested.... That's just a hunch though based on what you've said.

Often the focus is on recommending people go low carb, high fat for energy... then when that doesn't work it's more carbs.... but how was your protein intake? It could be that your work outs suffered & your weight dropped because you weren't providing your muscles with enough protein to recover/repair/grow and so the muscle you had was being burned off.

Just a thought.

Thanks for the input jmcbn.

As much as I'd like to recreate my meals for 40 days from 8 months ago, my memory ain't what it used to be. :)

But I get it.

What I don't get is why I would have a composition problem if we were eating almost solely from the W30 book (plus a NomNom Paleo recipe every now and then). 

I have no idea if I was fat adapted, but it was mentioned above, so I decided to look into it.

My protein intake was higher than it was pre-W30 because protein was filling for me. My between meal snacks were often jerky, nuts, or eggs. But my trainers have repeatedly mentioned that I need even MORE protein, *and* carbohydrates. I finally caved and bought some plant-based, soy-free protein powder this week to put in smoothies. We'll see if it makes any difference.

My family has a history of blood sugar issues that *aren't* diabetes related. I take after my mother, and that side of the family is almost always thin till the end, live long, are very active, and have fainting/dizzy/blood sugar issues where they don't have enough sugar. Maybe that's indicative of diet problems, but I believe part of it is genetic as well. All of the are prone to have a piece of fruit with them as they travel or work.

We have started a new round of W30. I may/may not complete it, depending on how I feel. I may do Food Freedom instead with some whole grains (quinoa, oats) and then tailor things depending on how I feel. I am going to try and keep a food diary this time and see if it sheds any light on anything.

LOL I wasn't suggesting you recreate 40 days worth of meals. I was just clarifying that without knowing what you were *actually* eating it would be impossible to suggest what changes you could potentially make. A food diary going forward would be a good idea...

As for using meals from the book, bear in mind that what constitutes a template meal for YOU will not be the same for your SO, or for anyone else which is why the template is a range  - your activity levels will vary, as will hormone levels (which have a bearing on appetite), as will sleep quality (which will also have a bearing on appetite) etc etc. So it could be that your ideal template is a little outside of the normal range - and that's okay so long as you can find that sweet spot.

I think you're misunderstanding the term 'Food Freedom' - Food Freedom is not another 30 day plan. Food Freedom is what Melissa refers to as a long term personal food management plan - ie. how you eat AFTER your 30days + reintros are up, to include those foods that you've found work for you, or are 'worth it' to you... And to be fair, if you've completed a Whole30 with proper reintros and *have* that knowledge already, then Food Freedom is where you should be at - tweaking your food intake to see what makes your body function optimally - and that includes some off plan foods such as quinoa & oats then so be it.

Whole30 was never originally created to be repeated ad nauseum. In it's original form it was designed as a tool - a way to reset the gut, clear the body of inflammatory foods, allowing you then to carry out a little experimentation on what foods your body can deal with without impacting your overall health.

Archived