What counts as high intensity?

RandiW

Hi everyone,

About a year ago I used to be a very active gym-goer, but last summer I got sick and then fell off the wagon completely, so I haven't been to the gym consistently since Aug '16. I completed my W30 at the beginning of February '17 and am now getting back into a gym routine again. I still follow W30 90% of time. I'm happily "riding my bike," sometimes more strictly W30 compliant and other times less.  I primarily keep up with the W30 meal template to structure my meals and I'm struggling with the pre and post workout meals. 

Firstly, I have the kindle version of ISWF and the carb curve is damn near impossible to read - and then my real question is: what qualifies as a high intensity work out? I'm concerned about adding in too many carby vegetables and either moving out of fat burning or defeating myself but carb-loading. 

Right now I eat one carb heavy veg a day whether I've worked out or not - either a yukon gold potato, a sweet potato or a plantain. Today for instance I had

M1: Half a potato frittata (2.5 eggs) and an arugula salad with homemade mayo. Small handful of blackberries.

PreWO: 1 egg, handful of nuts 

PoWO (also counted as M2 - which I know is not what you're supposed to do): coconut chicken tenders, pan fried plantain, small salad. 

M3 (will be): Posole from W30 cookbook. Large salad, Roasted broccoli

So I will have had a potato with M1 and then the plantain with PoWO/M2. I can't tell if this is too much? I work out fairly hard at the gym - I'll do 20-30 min of elliptical where I'm pushing hard and fast with some resistance for about 30-60 seconds for every 2-3 minutes. Then I tend to do some treadmill - usually fast walking for about half a mile, then I'll run all out for a quarter mile and then walk to cool down for the last quarter mile. Then I'll do some weights type exercise - either free weights or machines or things like crunches/planking.  But I'm not sure this qualifies as "high intensity" because I'm doing high intensity bursts for short periods of time - I'm still working when it's not the bursts - sweating the whole time, but it's not like  I'm taking a burn class or doing HI internal training.  Help? TIA

Depends on what you mean by "too much."  Do you feel good?  Are you meeting your training goals?  Are you getting more fit?  Losing fat?  How do the jeans fit?  My initial look at your meals gives me a "YUM!" answer.  Your mileage might be different than mine, though! :)

ThyPeace, if you're not where you want to be, then you might want to change something.  Might be food..... or might be something else.  Sleep, stress, training, time with friends, spiritual renewal...

Thanks for the response, @ThyPeace. It's too soon to gauge how it's going since I just started back at the gym on Friday. I'm adding the gym in part because I feel like I've plateaued to a small degree in my weight loss/tightening up. I lost a pant size and 5 pounds with the W30 and only another 3 pounds since then (Feb). I don't have a ton to lose to begin with and my scale says my body fat is declining even though my weight is much slower to drop. I never took measurements, but I think my limbs are slimming down too. That said, I feel like I can do better.

After I posted I read through a bunch of other posts and decided that perhaps I'm not someone who needs Pre and post workout meals, as I read not everyone does. I'll see how I feel not adding them in but maybe keeping an extra starch on workout days? I'm not quite sure what the best approach is.. I feel like starting out on the low/no end of the scale and then adding in if I feel like I need it is a good approach... maybe? 

Hi @RandiW!  It seems to me that you already "started" because you have plenty of years working with your body already.  If that seems like a good spot to be in to you, great!  And -- do you know what your body is like when its fuel sources/hydration/sleep/stress levels are too low and too high?  As a recent example for me, I didn't know that coming home so exhausted that I was weaving after a long run could be prevented -- until I changed my hydration and fueling.  Then wow!  I was feeling great!  

... Until I learned later that afternoon that I was running in the wrong shoes.  Sigh.  Still recovering from that piece of it.

ThyPeace, be slow and steady.  It's really worth it.

Archived