Need Advice! Situation trying to get me off track in a big way

msmirnio

Folks,

I am on Day 22 of my Whole30 (!!!) - I have dodged some VERY intense situations (bars, parties, family get togethers, office birthday cake, etc...) however, this one I really need some help on:

I am very new to my absolute dream job - today I have my first client meeting with all of the "big guys", we're suited up, have never met this client etc etc. One of the founding partners is in this meeting and asked that I order sandwiches for the meeting. What do I do come sandwich time? What if the sala/vegetables provided are covered in dressing? I brought my own lunch but that would look very strange, and unfortunately I do deeply deeply care about what people think of me in this situation!

Please help, any and all advice is appreciated. T minus 3.5 hours to go :(

Rather than go into an explanation of all the things you're not eating and why, just tell anyone that asks that you have a lot of food allergies. Eating the lunch you brought is better than picking apart a sandwich. The lunch meat probably isn't compliant anyway.

Just a few thoughts..

First - DO NOT PANIC. You can do this!

I don't think it should be a big deal to eat your own food since you already brought it and weren't planning on the meal being catered. But if you aren't comfortable with that you could say you aren't hungry and nibble at anything compliant or say you have an upset stomach and you aren't going to eat anything right now. Then sneak away and eat some of your food when you can.

If you were the one ordering, did you order a salad you can eat? Gluten intolerance (more vague than saying you have celiac disease) gets you out of eating a sandwich.

Good luck!!!

It is always acceptable, and often appropriate, not to eat in a client meeting. Eat your lunch ahead of time or during a quick break, and then let everyone else eat through the meeting while you have a drink. Easier to do if you are not hungry watching them (and your tummy won't growl :) ).

Phew! You guys are awesome - I got through it. I looked a little strange but Xandra you're so right - I find it more appropriate to NOT eat during meetings, especially while we're all in suits!

Anyway- that's over - thank you all so much for your quick (and wonderful) advice!

Archived