Julia's 1st Whole30 Log

JCV

I'm on day 4 of my first Whole30 and so far I've been keeping a journal very sloppily in my daily agenda. I wanted something a little more organized so I thought I'd make an official log here :) 

The reason I decided to embark on this journey is for a variety of reasons. Since November of 2015, I've lost 30lbs by meticulously tracking macros. It worked - for a while. But since hitting my "goal" weight several months ago, I've been stuck in a rut of "where to go from here?". I have been tracking and viewing food as numbers for so long that I began to feel like a slave to those numbers. For a while I've wanted to stop tracking, and for the last couple of months I have only been tracking loosely, but I had gotten to the point where I was no longer listening to my body. I was eating just to hit macros, and don't really know what "hunger" feels like any more. I want to become more in tune with my body and just fill it with healthy foods that will fuel me, rather than appease my MyFitnessPal. Because of this rut, I've fallen off the wagon for the last month or so. Not terribly, but definitely enough add 3 lbs to my short 5'2" frame, to have me feeling constantly bloated, and to worry me that I'm heading down the wrong path. My "sugar dragon" has been prominent and that is definitely something I wanted to rid myself of.

Another reason I wanted to try this is because I have struggled with acne since middle school. I am now 26 and I'm pretty sure my acne is worse now than it was at 16. Based on where the acne is location (on my chin, around my mouth) I know that it is due to a hormonal imbalance. I've been on a BCP for several years to regulate these hormones but it does not do much for my acne. I have tried SO many different skincare products and regimens and have basically bought out Ulta to try every serum on the market. I have seen a dermatologist for about 5 years now and the whole time he has had me on an antibiotic for my acne. I've also done HOURS worth of my own research in regards to vitamins and supplements I can add that are sworn to be cures. I look like a 75 year old woman with my pill container each morning of vitamins and the antibiotic JUST to try to get my skin under control. All to no avail. 

I started to do some more research, this is obviously internal and no fancy serum or skincare kit is going to help me. That's when I learned about the effects dairy has on the skin. All of the added hormones that we then end up consuming - it's gross really, and quite frankly I'm not sure how it's legal, but that's another topic. So I cut out dairy. I've never liked milk and when I do need it, I've always used almond milk. But I LOVED cheese. Cheese went on everything. I also love ice cream and frozen yogurt and PIZZA. I cut out dairy and immediately I saw results. FINALLY I had found a trigger. Because I am not crazy allergic to dairy (as far as I know, as of now), I thought "okay, I've found my trigger, I'm going to flexible with this. I'll have some cheese here and there, in moderation." That obviously didn't work. Also, once I had cut out most dairy, even on the days I had zero of it, I was still experiencing GI issues. Bloating, stomach aches, you get the picture. This wasn't from dairy, this had to have been from something else - but I have no idea what. That's when I decided Whole30 would be a great option for me. This seemed like it would provide answers to all of my problems. So here we are! 

Starting weight: 124.2lbs

Measurements

Waist: 27"

Bust: 32.5"

Arms: 10.25"

Butt: 36.5"

Thighs: 22"

Day 1:

I woke up feeling empowered, eager, and more than ready to take this on. I prepared my breakfasts and lunches for the week on Sunday night, and I packed an apple and slice of prosciutto for snack, a banana and almond butter for another snack. My coworkers ended up wanting to take me to lunch for my birthday the previous week. We went to Culver's and I did my best to stay compliant. I got the garden fresco salad with chicken, without cheese, croutons or dressing. I brought my own apple cider vinegar. I learned that the chicken is compared with corn starch, but I let that slide. The staff kept bringing around free samples of custard as well - each time I happily declined! That night I went to a local health foods store and purchased Primal Kitchen's avocado mayo. Whoa. Life changer. I've since used it daily.

Day 2:

I woke up super tired, but in a good mood. A nonscale victory for this day was actually ENJOYING my coffee. Normally I drink my coffee with quite a bit of creamer, so I knew I had to buy some decent quality coffee if I was going to drink it black. I bought and ground my own beans at Trader Joe's and it is surprisingly delicious. I particularly like it with 2 scoops of the Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides, a splash of compliant Califia Farms almondmilk, and a dash of cinnamon. Who knew coffee without all of the sweet cream could be so good! 

Day 3:

I woke up super tired again. My left gland under my jawline is swollen. I also woke up with period cramps? Like I said, I've been on the pill for years and I have extremely regular periods - where I know down to the hour when I'm going to start. I started spotting on this day, over a week before I'm due for my period. This was very frustrating and honestly worrisome. I spent the entire day researching WHY this happened - turns out there's really no research on it, but I did find that this is extremely common in women who start Whole30 or a paleo diet. I still would like more legitimate background info as to why this happens, but I am at least finding comfort in knowing I'm not the only one. I do, however, wish that this is something that we were forewarned of. We are warned about the "carb hangover" and the exhaustion and digestive issues, etc, that may take place when beginning this diet change - but the affect this has on hormones was never spoken of. I wish this was pointed out in the book along with everything else, especially with how many women experience this. 

Day 4 (today):

Wow. Today is definitely the most tired I have been yet. I slept through my alarm, and today was the first day I was packing up my meals and was rolling my eyes at everything I put in my bag. I was dragging my feet until I got to work. Sorry for TMI but this is my diary, right? But I haven't really pooped. I'm still crampy/spotting/starting my period (honestly don't know what to call it). And my left gland is still swollen and hurts. I also had my first dream about food!! I thought it was so funny when I read about that on the timeline, but it is SO TRUE! It was stressful, too. Of these negative effects I'm starting to feel, I guess they're not as bad as they could be. I haven't really experienced the carb or sugar "hangover", which is surprising to me. I haven't had any headaches, and really haven't had any cravings either. I wasn't eating TERRIBLY before, so that could be why, but it definitely wasn't a "clean" diet previously. Other than these side effects, I do have a nonscale victory. I have YET to have a single new pimple! That is a win in my book. Now to chug the rest of my coffee and probably several cups of tea throughout the day - I am beat. 

1 hour ago, JCV said:

Another reason I wanted to try this is because I have struggled with acne since middle school. I am now 26 and I'm pretty sure my acne is worse now than it was at 16. Based on where the acne is location (on my chin, around my mouth) I know that it is due to a hormonal imbalance. I've been on a BCP for several years to regulate these hormones but it does not do much for my acne. I have tried SO many different skincare products and regimens and have basically bought out Ulta to try every serum on the market. I have seen a dermatologist for about 5 years now and the whole time he has had me on an antibiotic for my acne. I've also done HOURS worth of my own research in regards to vitamins and supplements I can add that are sworn to be cures. I look like a 75 year old woman with my pill container each morning of vitamins and the antibiotic JUST to try to get my skin under control. All to no avail. 

Hi there!  I have a very similar story to yours, as far as struggling with acne my entire adult life.  I had it worse when I was a teenager and went on two major rounds of Accutane to help clear it up.  My acne went away with the Accutane for a number of years, but it was a brutal medication to be on and I don't think I would ever recommend that someone go on it, now that I know more about it.  My acne did resurface eventually, but not nearly as bad as it was as a teenager.  I'm 38 now, and at this point I'm convinced it's hormonal and there's just not much I can do about it.  Whole30 has given my skin a nice "glow", but has not done much for clearing up my acne (not to discourage you - every person is different and I've heard that many people DO have success with acne clearing up on Whole30).

After reading you post, I have to ask... Have you been on antibiotics for your acne for that ENTIRE 5 years?

2 minutes ago, laurelerin22 said:

Hi there!  I have a very similar story to yours, as far as struggling with acne my entire adult life.  I had it worse when I was a teenager and went on two major rounds of Accutane to help clear it up.  My acne went away with the Accutane for a number of years, but it was a brutal medication to be on and I don't think I would ever recommend that someone go on it, now that I know more about it.  My acne did resurface eventually, but not nearly as bad as it was as a teenager.  I'm 38 now, and at this point I'm convinced it's hormonal and there's just not much I can do about it.  Whole30 has given my skin a nice "glow", but has not done much for clearing up my acne (not to discourage you - every person is different and I've heard that many people DO have success with acne clearing up on Whole30).

After reading you post, I have to ask... Have you been on antibiotics for your acne for that ENTIRE 5 years?

It's so nice to know that the adult acne struggle is a common one! I do not have severe acne - definitely not severe enough to feel it necessary to go on accutane (just like you said, I've heard awful things about how harsh of a drug it is) but my dermatologist has pushed it on me, kind of as a one size fits all cure - I do not like that. At any given time I have 3-5 active zits on my chin or jawline or near my mouth. Again, definitely not severe enough to go on such a harsh drug.

I'm sorry you haven't seen much improvement in your acne with the Whole30! You're right, each person is different and fingers crossed it will help me. So far so good, no new pimples have popped up yet :) 

To answer your question, yes he has had me on antibiotics that entire time. The type of antibiotic has changed and I myself have stopped taking, and then take it again when I have flare ups. But I cannot stand being just prescribed something like that! I haven't taken it (or any of the vitamins/supplements I was trying) for probably about 3 months now. I want to figure out what the issue is internally, assuming it's food, and clear it up the right way. Terrifying to just be handed drugs like that, and pushing someone with mild adult acne to accutane, isn't it?!

Thanks so much for responding! 

20 minutes ago, JCV said:

It's so nice to know that the adult acne struggle is a common one! I do not have severe acne - definitely not severe enough to feel it necessary to go on accutane (just like you said, I've heard awful things about how harsh of a drug it is) but my dermatologist has pushed it on me, kind of as a one size fits all cure - I do not like that. At any given time I have 3-5 active zits on my chin or jawline or near my mouth. Again, definitely not severe enough to go on such a harsh drug.

I'm sorry you haven't seen much improvement in your acne with the Whole30! You're right, each person is different and fingers crossed it will help me. So far so good, no new pimples have popped up yet :) 

To answer your question, yes he has had me on antibiotics that entire time. The type of antibiotic has changed and I myself have stopped taking, and then take it again when I have flare ups. But I cannot stand being just prescribed something like that! I haven't taken it (or any of the vitamins/supplements I was trying) for probably about 3 months now. I want to figure out what the issue is internally, assuming it's food, and clear it up the right way. Terrifying to just be handed drugs like that, and pushing someone with mild adult acne to accutane, isn't it?!

Thanks so much for responding! 

Sounds like it might be worthwhile seeking out a new dermatologist?  Antibiotics reek havoc on your gut bacteria, so I would think that staying off of them (as well as maybe cutting out all the supplements) to give yourself a real digestive "reset" would be wise on Whole30.

I don't have severe acne either - in fact, even my acne as a teenager wasn't "severe" (i.e. it wasn't cystic acne), but I had a LOT of small pimples all over the place.  Now, I tend to get it on the lower portions of my cheeks, my chin, under my nose, and the middle of my forehead (yeah, so I guess that' most of my face!)  There were periods in my life where I refused to leave the house without makeup on.  As I've gotten older, though, I've realized people don't care about it nearly as much I thought, and I've become much less self-conscious.  But even so, it's frustrating to still be fighting an issue that everyone else got over 20 years ago!

I wish I had a photo of how bad the eczema on my hands was from being on Accutane in high school... That alone would keep you from ever going on it.  Not to mention that there are now links to digestive problems and IBS from Accutane (as well as the infamous birth defects!!)  I pray that my kids don't have the same skin issues I have, because I will never allow them to go on Accutane.  A friend who works in pharma read up on the package insert and the black box warnings on it.  He was like, "I cannot believe that the FDA ever allowed this drug to go to market and that it's still available.  This would never make it to market now."

The struggle is real, my friend!  You are not alone!  :)

Day 5:

I made it through my first work week! Between lunch with coworkers and treats in the breakroom, I managed to decline all noncompliant items and have stayed strong! That in itself is empowering and quite frankly a nonscale victory in my book. 

This morning I'm feeling a little better than yesterday. Not QUITE as sluggish, but definitely still tired - I did manage to oversleep again. My gland is still swollen and hurts to the touch and I am still on my period (it's become a full period at this point) - sorry for TMI. Still no new pimples and my current breakout seems to be lightening up. 

A little update on evening of day 4 - I went to the salon to get my hair touched up. The first thing my stylist (whom I've been seeing for almost 2 years now) first said to me, before she could even get out a "hello", is that my skin is glowing. We all know how amazing hairstylists skin/makeup/hair/style is, so that was a huge compliment for her to notice right away. 

Yesterday was also the first day I had not logged any of my food into MyFitnessPal. The first 3 days I was logging what I ate (without trying to hit any specific numbers) just to see where I was falling. Each day, without trying, I was consistently eating about the same amount of macros and calories. This helped me to ease up and know that without trying to fit within numbers, I can still be okay. I feel so much more freedom after yesterday without logging and allowing myself to stay disciplined without any sort of number screaming at me in the face. I will continue to not track :) 

Another thing about last night - I do believe the fewer carbs have effected my workouts. Yesterday was arm and back day. I can normally curl 15lbs with no major struggle but last night I was maxing out my curls with 10lbs. During my first set I was attempting the 15s but form was so sloppy that I knew I needed to go down. I'm sure my body will acclimate, but it was worth noting. 

Day 6:

I discovered cotton candy grapes. Oh god. My sweet tooth was in a frenzy on Saturday. I didn't veir off track but I know the amount of grapes I consumed defeated the purpose of this program. Better a pound of grapes than a bag of cookies though, right? I also found an amazing recipe that I tried out for dinner. Greek meatballs with homemade avocado tzatziki (no idea if I'm spelling that right) sauce and riced cauliflower. Wow. Amazing. I bought a new 10 cup food processor and got to put it to the test. That thing is life changing. 

Day 7:

I've made it a full week! I noticed progress in my workout today. Mostly in my energy. Today was a full body day for me. I used heavier weights for my deadlifts than I'm used to - a nice NSV for me. I decided after my workout I wanted to walk on the treadmill for a few minutes just to cool down and get in a little bit of LISS cardio. 2 minutes in to my walk I decided I wanted to try my hand at running. Now, anyone that knows me knows how much I detest running. My shins feel like they're going to snap. My lungs feel like they're going to collapse. Even at my most conditioned in high school, I've never been able to run a mile without stopping. In my fitness journey I've found a variety of other ways to get my cardio in. I had accepted I'm just not cut out for running. I RAN 1 WHOLE MILE WITHOUT STOPPING. First off all, I haven't ran a single mile in years. Secondly, I don't think I've EVER ran one without stopping. I did it. It took me a measly 12 minutes. But I did it! Definitely on a high from that right now. 

18 minutes ago, JCV said:

Now, anyone that knows me knows how much I detest running. My shins feel like they're going to snap. My lungs feel like they're going to collapse. Even at my most conditioned in high school, I've never been able to run a mile without stopping. In my fitness journey I've found a variety of other ways to get my cardio in. I had accepted I'm just not cut out for running. 

I should note that I do enjoy short burst sprints as a form of HIIT. Those are actually my favorite. But jogging or any form of distance running is a solid no from me. So I'm not sure what came over me that compelled me to give it a shot today. Maybe its hat tigers blood I've heard so much about?

Day 8:

I feel great this morning - claritywise. I did not have a difficult time waking up at all like last week. No morning fog that I had to drag through. I was up and ready to go when my alarm went off. On the otherhand, I do feel very bloated today. Could be from not drinking enough water over the weekend? Or it could be from going overboard on the pink himalayan salt on dinner last night. Or maybe it's just due to what the timeline told me to expect. I've been getting into the hang of listening to my body for actual hunger cues and not just eating at a certain time out of habit. I'm really excited about that. 

Day 9:

I really thought 9 days in would be too soon to tell but I really think I am starting to feel this "Tiger's Blood" thing. Especially during my workouts. My energy to power through and crush my workouts has been insane. I'm finding this to be so much easier than I built it up to be in my head. And I love how I'm feeling. I've been experimenting with new and delicious recipes that my boyfriend who is not doing this with me also really enjoys. He, the king of chips and juice, has been requesting riced cauliflower every single night with dinner. 

The only cons I'm experiencing at this point is still having started my period early last week, which ended on Saturday. But now my actual period that was scheduled to start is starting. Two periods in one and a half weeks is not ideal at all and I'm PRAYING that it will not last all month the way I've seen some women experience. Because my hormones are out of wack, I've been breaking out for the first time since starting W30 :( Hoping my body will straighten itself out and find regularity and balance again.

Since Day 9 was July 4th, this meant celebrating. My boyfriend and I went to a beach town nearby on Lake Michigan. We walked around downtown and on the beach. It was abundantly clear to me how many restaurants, ice cream shops, sandwich joints, etc that I couldn't have. If this were any other day, we would have gone out for dinner and probably gotten some sort of pasta dish, and we would have definitely gotten some ice cream or gelato. Of course I wished I could have these - but I wasn't tempted to break compliance. This showed me it is possible to have a great time without food being at the center of it. 

We stopped in a shop that had gourmet coffee beans and I was able to pick up my favorite Highlander brew :) 

Day 10:

I can't believe it's already day 10. I still feel great. I'm not dragging my feet while getting ready in the morning, and right now I'm sipping on my new delicious Highlander coffee. This has always been my favorite but the flavor really pops without creamer overtaking the flavor. SO GOOD. 

You know that little pooch that we lucky women get on our lower stomachs? No matter how lean we get, that little bulge just doesn't go away. I've had this for as long as I can remember - even when I was in middle school and high school and a scrawny kid. It has always existed with me. Over the last couple of days, I've noticed this smoothing out and I honestly am AMAZED. I'm wondering what it is that causes this pooch - processed food maybe? Sugar? Gluten? A combination of it all? I really don't know, but I've never been able to get rid of it for as long as I can remember. Nonscale victory :) 

Day 11:

They call these the hardest days. Personally, I'm not feeling that. It hasn't been that difficult for me. Last night was my first attempt at eating out. Wow it was stressful. I even ate at a little Chipotle style restaurant called CoreLife Eatery. You can build your own salads, grain bowls, broth bowls, etc. They use locally sourced ingredients and everything is fresh - they even slice the avocado right in front of you. The brand prides their self on being accessible for people with all types of dietary restrictions - including Whole30 participants (seriously, even their website talks about it). So I made a beef bone broth bowl with grass-fed steak, kale, grape tomatoes, cauliflower and mushrooms. It was AMAZING! They even have a "juice bar" which consists of several housemade teas and lemonades. While the lemonades all have sugar, the teas do not. Very easy to stay compliant here! But even though the ingredients are fresh, you never know what will have soy, or a restricted oil. For example, their chicken is marinated in canola oil with soy sauce. I can't even imagine how stressful it would be to eat at a normal restaurant that doesn't even have awareness of all of these allergens and dietary restrictions. Regardless, it was delicious and a fun experience. It will be my safe place if I find myself having to eat out on the remainder of the Whole30.

I'm tired today. I've had crazy energy for the last few days, but today I'm tired. Not even exhausted - moreso just "blah". If this is what my "hardest days" look like, then I'll take it. Time to drink more of my lifeblood - coffee.:blink:

I also finished the last of my date rolls last night (just dates and coconut). I think I had been relying on those and cotton candy grapes when I get a sweet tooth. While they're not the worst things I can have, it definitely isn't ridding me of my sweet tooth. So from today on, I will no longer purchase those types of "treats", we'll do this the right way and truly slay the sugar dragon. Pray for me.

Day 12:

I think yesterday and today are my hardest days. I'm exhausted and have a headache. Also, yesterday was the first time I didn't eat fruit after dinner as a "dessert". I realized yesterday I had been relying on that and need to cut it out. That was a struggle so I made a cup of tea. I'm going away this weekend and it will be my first travel situation on the Whole30. Stopping at Aldi and Target after work for some essentials so I don't have to rely on the future in-laws cooking (which will never be compliant). Also going to a Cubs game tomorrow and am already sad about not having a ballpark hot dog. Think Wrigley Field will let me bring Applegate hot dogs into the game with me? No? Probably not lol. Anyway, wish me luck! 

@JCV just read your log... i also came from a background of counting macros and logging every single bite of food into myfitnesspal. After a while i felt like i was eating things that didnt make me feel good- or eating at times i wasnt even hungry just because "it fit my macros" i was at a stand still with my weight and body composition, and if anything was "fluffier" probably due to all of the fake protein ice cream, fake sugar etc.. that i was eating. I'm a personal trainer and work out every day so to see your body comp. change for the worse regardless of hitting macros or exercise was defeating. I also had a baby 19 months ago which threw my hormones into a tailspin.. im only on day 3 and already feel better (im sure itll be different in a couple days) but its good to read your log and see your successes/where you struggle as well. Im blogging about my journey too if you'd like to check it out: alexamassie.wordpress.com Keep it up!!!

On 7/7/2017 at 1:34 PM, alexamassie said:

@JCV just read your log... i also came from a background of counting macros and logging every single bite of food into myfitnesspal. After a while i felt like i was eating things that didnt make me feel good- or eating at times i wasnt even hungry just because "it fit my macros" i was at a stand still with my weight and body composition, and if anything was "fluffier" probably due to all of the fake protein ice cream, fake sugar etc.. that i was eating. I'm a personal trainer and work out every day so to see your body comp. change for the worse regardless of hitting macros or exercise was defeating. I also had a baby 19 months ago which threw my hormones into a tailspin.. im only on day 3 and already feel better (im sure itll be different in a couple days) but its good to read your log and see your successes/where you struggle as well. Im blogging about my journey too if you'd like to check it out: alexamassie.wordpress.com Keep it up!!!

Thanks so much for commenting! It's really reassuring to know someone else struggled through that too. I'm 2 weeks into it today and I honestly feel so much better. I had to wean myself off of it. I tracked for the first couple of days, just to see where I was falling and it seemed pretty consistent. I have finally stopped and am getting better at listening to my body. And you're SO right about the fake protein. Oh my gosh. I probably eat 20-20g of protein less than I did and I don't feel like my muscles are deteriorating or that I'm not making gains. I've always had a pooch on my lower tummy, no matter how lean I get - and for the first time probably since I was a child it's gone! I'm sure fake "healthy" snacks loaded with sugar/artificial sweetener (lookin at you Halo Top) were a culprit. 

I'll check out your blog! Good luck in your journey! 

The weekend - the first one out of town!

Day 13:

On Friday evening (day 12) I did stop at the grocery store to pick up some travel essentials. Apples, bananas, almond butter, prosciutto, cashew cookie LaraBars, almonds, coffee, toasted coconut almond milk for my coffee, guac cups, and sweet potatoes. My boyfriend and I were traveling down to his parents house for the weekend that evening, and I knew if I were going to be thrown off track, it would be during this weekend. His mom is the type of cook that adds unnecessary ingredients to "make things better". But truthfully, more often than not, less is more. I knew I had to come prepared. 

So Saturday, day 13, my boyfriend and I were heading down to a Cubs game. That morning before our drive to Chicago, I prepared my own breakfast of 2 runny eggs, prosciutto and sweet potato hash. It was really satisfying. I packed some snacks for the hour and a half car ride down to the city. I wasn't necessarily hungry on the way down, but I wanted to be sure that I ate enough to not be starving and cheat at the game. This worked, but after all of the walking around we did before game once we got into the city, towards the middle of the game I was getting pretty hungry. I walked down to one of the food stations in the stadium and saw fruit cups and salad on a menu. I was so pleasantly surprised that a ball park would have healthy options! So I gave the salad a shot. I believe it was a Greek salad. I had to pick off the chick peas and the dressing was some sort of Greek vinaigrette - I'm not 100% sure what exactly was in it. I'm sure it contained a little soy or sugar. This was confirmed when I got a stomachache after eating it and it was probably a cheat - but it was MUCH better than the alternatives I could have had (lookin at you ball park hot dogs and beer).

Day 14:

Sunday morning I prepared myself the same breakfast. I snacked a bit throughout the day on apples and almond butter. I ended up weighing myself, just out of sheer curiosity because I was feeling leaner. Down 4 lbs! I did and do not have expectations to lose weight on this. I hit my goal weight and my body's "happy weight" where I can maintain easily but have a difficult time losing more back in November, but somehow I've lost 4 lbs! That night was incredibly stressful. We were back at my boyfriend's parents' house and his family obviously knows I'm on the Whole30. We decided to grill chicken for dinner, because it's something that I can have, with sauteed riced cauliflower and salad. His mom usually adds a variety of dressings (I'm talking ranch AND italian AND mayo AND olive oil) to salads, but she made it a point to ask me what I can and cannot have for the salad, and she made a delicious EVOO and apple cider vinegar dressing. It was really nice for his family to be so supportive. But then, as the chicken breasts were on the grill, I learned that she marinated the chicken in wine. At this point, I about lost it. All of the restrictions for the last 2 weeks, all of the treats and goodies and glasses of wine I've passed up, all coming down to this. I wanted to cry. I immediately started wondering "WHY am I doing this to myself? This is my choice, why am I putting myself through this?!" Thankfully I have an INCREDIBLY supportive boyfriend who explained to his mom I cannot have wine, and asked her to defrost another piece and season it WITHOUT wine for me. I felt really bad. The disappointment and panic was written all over my face, but I kept just saying "it's fine, I'll eat it anyway" because this is my choice, and not something I want to burden anybody else with. The new piece of chicken was grilled and the dinner ended up being a success, but this was probably my most difficult moment. I did not even cheat at a baseball game, WHY would I cheat with frozen Aldi chicken marinated in $4 wine? Not worth it. 

Day 15:

Halfway. I'm halfway there. We got home late last night and I did not sleep well at all, so I'm tired today, but happy to be back home and in my routine. Because we got home so late last night, I did not have a chance to meal prep AT ALL so I boiled some eggs when I woke up this morning for breakfast, packed some fruit, veggies, and a guac cup for snacking, and will probably get carnitas from Chipotle for lunch. Tonight will be a huge meal prepping night. But I'm just happy to be back in control of the food that is being made. 

TMI

Period update: So I started my period early on day 3. That finally ended that following weekend but then I had my period again (on schedule) last week Tuesday on schedule, which ended this past Friday. I am REALLY hoping I don't get it again during these 30 days, but am not feeling optimistic because I started cramping AGAIN yesterday. What gives?! I miss my regularity, and I'm still having breakouts. I think I expected more positive changes in my body. Feeling blah today because of this. Hopefully being back in my own environment will give me positive feelings again, but right now - this sucks.

4 hours ago, JCV said:

Thanks so much for commenting! It's really reassuring to know someone else struggled through that too. I'm 2 weeks into it today and I honestly feel so much better. I had to wean myself off of it. I tracked for the first couple of days, just to see where I was falling and it seemed pretty consistent. I have finally stopped and am getting better at listening to my body. And you're SO right about the fake protein. Oh my gosh. I probably eat 20-20g of protein less than I did and I don't feel like my muscles are deteriorating or that I'm not making gains. I've always had a pooch on my lower tummy, no matter how lean I get - and for the first time probably since I was a child it's gone! I'm sure fake "healthy" snacks loaded with sugar/artificial sweetener (lookin at you Halo Top) were a culprit. 

I'll check out your blog! Good luck in your journey! 

Im so glad you're feeling better! Honestly girl im only 6 days in and feel so much better! And i havent weighed myself since i started but i look and FEEL way less bloated!! I've always had such a strong core but always hidden under that pooch you talk about and its starting to go away! omg.. halo top-- literally ate 2 pints a week!!! 

Day 16:

FINALLY got to use my coconut aminos last night for the first time! I made salmon fried "rice" (cauliflower). I sauteed my riced cauliflower and salmon filet in sriracha, coconut aminos, a lot of garlic, and one egg. So good!

I'm feeling a little more in control today than I was yesterday morning coming off of the chaotic weekend. I was able to meal prep the rest of my lunches and breakfasts for the week, so I'm feeling really good about having prepared meals with me today. Energy-wise, I'm feeling more steady today. Not exuberant or anything, but sustainable. Already starting to wonder how I'm going to handle life and food when this is all over with. I love a challenge and a plan, so the freedom once this ends makes me a little nervous. Trying not to think too much about it because I know that defeats the purpose of food freedom. Probably going to be browsing the Post-Whole30 forms a lot from this point forward.

17 minutes ago, JCV said:

Day 16:

FINALLY got to use my coconut aminos last night for the first time! I made salmon fried "rice" (cauliflower). I sauteed my riced cauliflower and salmon filet in sriracha, coconut aminos, a lot of garlic, and one egg. So good!

I'm feeling a little more in control today than I was yesterday morning coming off of the chaotic weekend. I was able to meal prep the rest of my lunches and breakfasts for the week, so I'm feeling really good about having prepared meals with me today. Energy-wise, I'm feeling more steady today. Not exuberant or anything, but sustainable. Already starting to wonder how I'm going to handle life and food when this is all over with. I love a challenge and a plan, so the freedom once this ends makes me a little nervous. Trying not to think too much about it because I know that defeats the purpose of food freedom. Probably going to be browsing the Post-Whole30 forms a lot from this point forward.

I should add this in... when I first posted it didn't seem worth it but I think it is worth noting. A big reason I started this was to see what sets off my acne. Pre W30 I would get cystic, hormonal zits along my chin/jawline/around my mouth. Not several of them, but 1 or 2 at a time. My skin has not cleared up entirely. I've been frustrated with the several small bumps I have (the type that you can honestly just kind of scratch off), but then it occurred to me that I haven't had any new cystic zits AT ALL. That is DEFINITELY something worth celebrating. I'm thinking that these smaller bumps, that are probably barely noticeable to anyone but me, are not a big deal at all and that I AM on the right track to figuring out my skin issues. Here's hoping!! 

7 hours ago, JCV said:

Day 16:

Update: Today was certainly a test of my discipline. I am an administrative assistant for a public school district. There was an event today of about 20 people where lunch needed to be provided. I was in charge of getting lunch, which ended up being pizza. 6 large pizzas. 6 2liters of Coke, and a large tray of breadsticks. I had to pick all of this up from the restaurant, transport it in MY car and get it set up for the event participants to eat.... talk about the most watery my mouth has ever been. I was alone with all of this pizza the entire time. I DID NOT CAVE! 

Not only is passing up on pizza, one of my all time favorite foods a feat, but THEN dessert came out. Somebody made a homemade Oreo pudding. This person, as a nice gesture, made me a plate and brought it to me, as a thank you for providing all of the pizzas. I did not explain to her why I couldn't or didn't have to have it. I just simply said "thank you!!!". I stared at it for a minute. Really hard. Oreos are another favorite of mine. I was sitting up at the front desk by myself. Nobody would see me cheat if I did. No witnesses. I thought about it, "just a taste" I told myself. I PREVAILED! I threw it in the garbage! 

Today was all about temptation and a true test of my commitment to the promise I made myself, and I could not be more proud to have stayed true to my commitment and promise to myself. This pride (almost) tastes so much better than any cheesy, greasy slice of pizza.

Day 17:

Wow this is really flying by. I slept really well last night, for the first time in quite a few nights. Feeling well rested today. I had dreams about food last night. The ones that Melissa warns you about. These ones were stressful - it was about yesterday and how I could have cheated, so in the dream I did. 

I'm noticing I don't really feel any weight loss. I suppose since hitting my goal weight months ago, I don't have much to easily lose, but I really thought this would help me break through the plateau of the last 5-10 lbs. I do feel my lower tummy pooch flattening out, but other than that I feel like my weight will be about the same as when I started once I finish this. That's not to say this is discouraging. I do feel a little better, and weight loss wasn't my main focus with this, but it would have been a definite bonus. Am I eating too much? I've gotten better at listening to my body and eating when I'm hungry. I don't think my 3 meals are big enough so I do need to snack throughout the day, but it is on apples, bananas, a serving of almond butter, sweet peppers, almonds, or prosciutto. I'm not really eating anything processed. Not relying on compliant bars like LaraBars at all, like I thought I would. I'm wondering if I'm eating too much or if this is a good amount of food and my body is just too happy at its current weight that it doesn't want to lose more? I'm not overweight by any means, but I know I'm not the most lean I could be.  Maybe I'll try to start snacking less.

Wow. It's been a while since I've last posted. I guess this whole thing has just become habit and second nature that I haven't even thought to post again. 

Days 18:

Just like every other day, honestly. 

Day 19 (Friday):

My little sister came to visit and we went out to dinner. I ordered a warm kale salad with grilled chicken and herb vinaigrette. This seemed completely compliant, but when the salad came out it had grated parmesan on it. I did my best to work around the cheese but I know I still consumed a little bit of it. I also ordered the restaurant's truffle fries (omg so good), cooked in truffle oil. These were compliant as well. The fries came with a dijon aioli. Since aioli is made with mayo, I realized later the mayo probably had soy in it. I did my best with this different, but there's no doubt I consumed things that were not compliant. This was confirmed when I got a really bad stomach ache immediately after dinner. 

Day 20 (Saturday):

Saturday was another day that I potentially had something uncompliant. We went out to dinner with my boyfriend's family for his dad's birthday. I ordered a lobster wedge salad with citrus vinaigrette. It wasn't until the salad came that I realized that the lobster was more of a "lobster salad", mixed with mayo. Again, mayo most likely contains soy. I did not beat myself up over it. I ordered what looked best and I did as best as I could with the options I had. We had a great evening.

Day 21 (Sunday):

I made chicken fried cauliflower rice. Whenever I make this, I use a little sriracha to spice it up. It was pointed out to me that there is sugar in sriracha (I don't know why I never thought to look). And then it was also pointed out to me that there was sugar in the ginger paste I used. I think this day fit the timeline perfect for me. I just didn't. care. anymore. And am so ready to call it quits. 

Day 22:

Today is day 22. I still am feeling like I was yesterday - that I've learned the lessons that this experience is meant to teach, and I have valuable tools now that I want to take with me into the "real world" after my 30 days, so why not just stop now and skip forward to the part where I just live my best life with the information I've gained from this? Why bother? I can't stay compliant no matter how hard I try, without realizing (like this weekend). It just doesn't seem worth it to keep being super strict anymore. I just want to get to the reintroduction point and live my life mostly compliant, and then deciding when it's worth it to have something off plan. Because on multiple occasions this weekend, it would have been worth it to have 1 glass of wine, 1 roll at dinner, or 1 cup of coffee with a little added sweetener. I don't want to do this anymore. But 8 more days. 

Side note: I weighed myself this weekend and I hit 5 lbs dropped. I also did not work out at all last week - just did not have the energy or motivation. I'm supposed to get back on it today but am still really just not feeling it. Wish me luck. I also have a really bad breakout right now, likely due to the accidental added sugar, soy, and small amount of grated parm in my salad I consumed this weekend. If I consumed the smallest amount on accident, that terrifies me for what it will be like once I reintroduce foods.

It's not even that I'm craving anything. I don't miss sweets, I don't miss bread (okay, I kind of do), but it's the LITTLE additives that make things that SHOULD be compliant, uncompliant. THAT is the part that is killing me. Can't have this. Can't have that. Not because it's a grain or bread or dairy - but because it's made with a TINY bit of cornstarch, or has a TINY bit of soy in it, or has less than 2% sugar. THAT is the part that is ridiculous. And it is infuriating that these things (mainly sugar) are even added to the most basic of foods. I'm just over it. All I want is to live my post Whole30 life with the tools I've gained. If ANYONE is reading this, any encouragement would be SOO appreciated.

Day 23:

I can't believe how badly my face is breaking out. 5 painful zits around my mouth from my accidental slip-ups over the weekend (photo below). Prior to this, my face had all but cleared up - just some dark spots and slight texture. If this is what happens from possible trace amounts of soy or sugar, I am terrified of what my skin will be like after this.

I'm feeling a lot less antsy today. Yesterday was brutal. Last night it took everything in me to resist one glass of wine. That's without a doubt what I miss the most. I did make an amazing burger for dinner. I found compliant burger patties at Aldi, of all places! We grilled them up and I used portobello mushrooms as the buns! I put a little Primal Kitchen mayo and some avocado slices on it. Also baked some Trader Joe's butternut squash zig zags to have on the side as "fries" (photo below). This meal was the revival I needed.

I feel much better today. A lot less head fog, and a lot less tired. I was still way too unmotivated to workout last night - something I really need to fix. Overall, I feel okay today. 

IMG_4215.JPG

IMG_4211.JPG

Day 24:

I overslept today. I don't feel tired or groggy now, but I think my quality of sleep is so good that I am actually having a difficult time coming out of it. Is that common?

My breakout from the mistakes over the weekend is clearing up. Definitely still there, but I can tell they are drying up and will be gone soon. While I'm on the subject of gross things, I wanted to note that I haven't had any irregular periods since my last scheduled period. I think my body has finally adjusted to this new way of eating!

I'm still severely lacking the motivation to workout. I've narrowed it down to why (other than sheer laziness) - I'm bored of my workout. It's too late for me to start a new week of a new round of FBG, but I think for the remainder of the week I'll go to the gym, and target either upper body or lower body, do some MISS cardio - but not have a set regimen like I usually do. I'll do workouts that I feel like doing, as long as they're targeting the designated muscle groups. I think that's a good way to work my way back onto the wagon. I still feel like I'm losing weight, but I'm starting to wonder how much of it is muscle. Also, my butt feels like a pancake to me, and a deflated butt is completely unacceptable. #doitforthebutt

Day 25:

I can't believe I have made it this far. I'm sleeping very well, again I think a little too well. I feel good today. Full of energy, and too many pistachios. My skin is still restabilizing but I know it's getting better. Today, so far, so good! Tonight I will be having my girls night with a couple of girlfriends. We call it "thaine" night because we get thai food and drink wine. I will make my own thai before coming over and will sip on some LaCroix. 

I cannot wait to have wine again! 

Archived