Eating Disorder and Whole Thirty

I just read Food Freedom Forever and want to use the truths in that to end my 12 year struggle with Bulimia. My fear is that I will fail the program over and over and lose the self trust to really commit to it. I have tried the last 4 days to stick to the plan and I just keep caving in. Is it possible that I am not emotionally ready to let go? 

• Moderators

Some people with eating disorders find Whole30 helpful, but for others it makes things worse. If you're not able to get through even a few days right now, it might be time to step back for a moment and spend some time thinking about what your goals are, whether doing a whole30 is necessary or helpful to reach them, and if you decide it is, consider why you are having trouble sticking with it and how to change that. If you aren't already, i suggest talking to a professional about this. 

You might also want to read what Melissa has written about doing whole30 with an eating disorder -- here's one article, and it links to others: https://whole30.com/2014/06/dear-melissa-eating-disorders/

Whatever you decide to do, whether it involves whole30 or not, I hope you find health and happiness.

• 2 months later...
On 29/6/2017 at 9:36 PM, mcguisf said:

I just read Food Freedom Forever and want to use the truths in that to end my 12 year struggle with Bulimia. My fear is that I will fail the program over and over and lose the self trust to really commit to it. I have tried the last 4 days to stick to the plan and I just keep caving in. Is it possible that I am not emotionally ready to let go? 

@mcguisf  Hi Mcguisf 

I know it's a bit of an old post. But I hope you see this :-). Or it can help someone else struggling.

I'm sorry to hear about you long bulimia struggle.

I will recommend you, to look in to ' brain over binge' by Kathryn Hansen, she has two books out, (both physical books and ebook format), but she also covers her approach to quitting binging ( and purging, it's both for bulimics,( she herself is a recovered bulimic) and for BED) with a good amount of resources on her website: Brainoverbinge.com, esp. The podcast is very helpful, where she covers the method and steps required, esp.  The first 12 episodes but all are ongoing quite helpful.

The program have helped me tremendously,  now I 'only' had the binges and the disordered mentality left, and have in all been in 'binge/restrict hell' since I was 18- so 15 yrs- but I was able to quit right after finishing her first book, however I ' was scared' and Def. Didn't trust myself to not ' relapse' ( no wonder though) so sought out all of the recources right after and with all that, I have been able to be free of binges since July 10th. which is big for me as I havent been able to go for more than 7-8 days without a binge in years ( last time was 12 weeks - free in 2008 -  with will power - that ran out) 

Before that I would never have been able to even think I could go 30+  days without having a binge, but I'm now on day 22 of my first W30 

What is covered in the first 12 EP. Of the podcast http://brainoverbinge.com/category/podcast/page/4/ is very much what's in the first book, and describes very well how to work the program- (how ever the first book also covers her own story), there's also a free ebook, on her page, it's a work book to work with along the podcast, if it's not enough Def. Look into the second book  Brain over binge recovery guide  it is even a more thoroughly put together workbook with pages/ or downloadeble and printeble sheets to fill out and it makes the program more customizeable.

Now as I said I was able to quit after reading the first book ( honestly, did have a binge the the day before I read it, and that can hold me over with the urges for quite some days) but as I also tapped in to all the other resources I could find, almost right away, as I wanted to be free and didn't want to relapse', who knows if the first book helped me or the collected recourses was what really did the trick for me, I also know that since July 10th, it's NOT that long ago, so I'm not an expert and I certainly don't feel particularly safe, and yes I still get urges, but I'm able to dismiss them,  and they are def. Not as strong g as they once where, - it's a work in progress, I believe she mentions she wasn't entirely sure she was free until about 9 months after quitting.

Also be aware that one of the recovery goals in her program is to 'eat adequetly', wich means one can't expect it to work if one is restricting calories esp. below about 2200, so weight loss in the commen way is not attainable, however if one has binges frequently calories will be saved that way, I know purging 'gets rid' of some of the over eaten Cal's but not all. If this should be done on the whole30 program one would need to eat at the upper end of the amount on the meal template

To my understanfing from reading comments etc on her page and from the fact that she's offering group coaching classes on her page ( not free), not everyone succeeds from just the books and the podcast's.

I think that if you work with the resources of brain over binge and you find some freedom from the urges to binge and purge, then after a while, of that ' food freedom' you can better decide if whole30 is the way to go for you.

I've found people saying they found the Brain over binge helpful even if they didn't struggle with binges, bulimia or BED, but to fix how much they thought about food in general and in ' the wrong way'.

Best wishes

Bischa

Archived