Start Date July 1

ryanreed

Here is my break out by day/meal...  My protein's are usually a palm to a palm in a half...

Meal 7/2/2017 7/3/2017 7/4/2017
1 3 Eggs, Vegi Smoothie 3 Eggs, Vegi Smoothie 4 Eggs, Raw Brocolli and Spinach
2 Turkey and Roasted Brocolli Chicken and Carrot Curry Side of Asparagus Chicken Broth/Chicken/Carrots (Side of Brocolli)
3 Chicken and Carrot Curry Steak and Kale Salad  
Snacks Apple, Almonds (handful) Almonds (handful), Pineapple (less than handful)  
Drinks Water, Kombucha Water, Kombucha

Water, Kombucha

I haven't been tracking the exact portion of fat and veggies but I've been using approximate guidelines given by Whole30.

I'm 6 feet 220 pounds.  And I usually run 3-5 miles a day 4-5 days a week.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
4 minutes ago, damphouse said:

Here is my break out by day/meal...  My protein's are usually a palm to a palm in a half...

Meal 7/2/2017 7/3/2017 7/4/2017
1 3 Eggs, Vegi Smoothie 3 Eggs, Vegi Smoothie 4 Eggs, Raw Brocolli and Spinach
2 Turkey and Roasted Brocolli Chicken and Carrot Curry Side of Asparagus Chicken Broth/Chicken/Carrots (Side of Brocolli)
3 Chicken and Carrot Curry Steak and Kale Salad  
Snacks Apple, Almonds (handful) Almonds (handful), Pineapple (less than handful)  
Drinks Water, Kombucha Water, Kombucha

Water, Kombucha

I haven't been tracking the exact portion of fat and veggies but I've been using approximate guidelines given by Whole30.

I'm 6 feet 220 pounds.  And I usually run 3-5 miles a day 4-5 days a week.

You mention that you haven't been tracking fat but I don't actually see any fat in most of your meals... the fact that you have snacks tells me that you're not eating enough.  Eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... at 6', 220pounds, I bet very much you can hold more than 3... in the case of not wanting to eat more than 3 eggs, add some other source of protein... many people use leftovers from the night before.

Are you salting your food?  When we remove processed foods from our diet, we remove about 70-80% of the sodium as well... so on a whole food way of eating, you need to be salting your food.

When you run, are you using that opportunity to have your post workout meal?  A few bites each of lean protein and starchy carb within about 30-45 min of the exertion.  You can have a pre workout as well if you need it... some people depending on when they workout use their previous meal, which is totally fine, but we don't want you skipping the post workout or using your following meal for that purpose.

Also, as per previous, try getting rid of those smoothies... the fact that it's only 3 eggs plus a smoothie... that's not going to have any staying power... Eat a hearty breakfast within an hour of waking.

Thank you for the reply!!!

Agreed on the eggs and smoothie, today a ditched the smoothie and upped to 4 eggs.  I will try to adjust like you suggested eating left overs and make sure I'm getting something more hearty. 

I am salting the eggs and red meat, but not the chicken.

Today I started running early in the morning, and had breakfast right after.  My first day I ran on the program I ran mid day a longer run for me (8 miles) and only had an apple after, which we discussed was a mistake.

Thank you so much for the help!  I keep tweaking.

Bob

18 hours ago, damphouse said:

Question for the more experienced people.  I'm only on day 3 and feel a bit light headed/weak fairly often.  I'm not particularly hungry though.  Is this me adjusting to no sugar?  I'm barely eating any fruit and no juices at all and historically my diet had tons of sugar.  Thanks!

Do you have a history of high blood pressure and are you on high blood pressure medications?  

Happy Day 5!

Yesterday was tougher than I thought it would be.....I planned ahead and brought a veggie tray with cashew hummus and coleslaw to the party I went to.  So lunch was easy...I had a burger with mustard and sliced tomato, my coleslaw, and fruit.  I ate the veggies and cashew hummus while others were eating chips and dip.  But when the dessert table was put out EVERYTHING looked so good.  Even things I don't typically like looked good.  But I abstained from it all.  I didn't even feel like eating the fruit that was out.  So I know Day 4 is kill all the things, which I didn't feel, but did feel so wiped out after the party. I ended up going to bed at 8.

Yesterday's meals were:

1--2 egg scramble with 1/2 chicken thigh, sweet potatoes, spinach, arugula, and blueberries (YES! BLUEBERRIES!), coffee with nutpods

2--burger with sliced tomato, mustard, cole slaw, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, veggies with cashew hummus.

3- Clean out the fridge night: 1/2 greek lamb burger, 1 1/2 chicken thighs, roasted sweet potato bites, asparagus, green salad with ranch.

Today:

1-2 fried eggs in avocado oil, salmon cake http://meljoulwan.com/2014/11/10/oven-fried-salmon-cakes/, spinach and arugula

2-not sure....probably big green salad and salmon cakes

3- Trying Turkey Larb recipe from Whole30 Cookbook after seeing it posted on instagram and wanting it. NOW.

Have a great day.

Happy Day 5! 

Yesterday I ended up missing a meal because I discovered that my fridge (filled with over $400 in groceries that I bought on Monday) had crapped out on me. This discovery was only after the bathroom repair guy showed up and took out our old bathtub to start remodeling our bathroom. So I spent the day looking for a new fridge and had to throw out some food that was bad or that I didn't trust to eat because I didn't know when during the night the fridge crapped out and everything that had defrosted was in a big puddle in my kitchen floor. UGH! But anyway, this was what my meals looked like for Day 4: 

Breakfast (0900): 1 leftover baked potato stuffed with taco meat made with onions and tomatoes

Snack (1130): 1-2 handfuls of watermelon chunks (trying to salvage what I could from the fridge fiasco)

Snack (1400): 1 medium sweet potato and 1 RXbar 

Dinner (1800): 1 grilled chicken breast with grilled onions, 7 shrimp, 3 cups of broccoli, and unsweetened shredded coconut

2 hours ago, snowflower said:

Do you have a history of high blood pressure and are you on high blood pressure medications?  

Nope, to both.  I think it maybe the lack of fat.  I thought the cooking fat was enough and didn't really have any fat added to my meals.  So I've added some avocado an that has helped.

Thank you!!

4 hours ago, CTGeorge said:

Yesterday I ended up missing a meal because I discovered that my fridge (filled with over $400 in groceries that I bought on Monday) had crapped out on me. 

:o The fact that this did NOT totally derail you is HUGE!! Congrats on surviving the day. 

On 7/4/2017 at 6:59 AM, snowflower said:

I'll do this with eggs or with any leftover protein I have.  My other favorite is to make a big batch of roasted veggies (my favs are brussels sprouts, asparagus, red onion, mushrooms, zucchini, peppers) and then warm up 2 cups or so with my protein.

Hi all,

I started around the same date so just pop in and see how everyone is doing and to get meal ideas etc.

@snowflower  I haven't seen (or ever done)  a roasted combo like you suggested.  Just curious...do you just toss everything in oil and roast them together or is it a particular way you do this.  I'd love to try it!  

2 hours ago, aussiegal said:

I haven't seen (or ever done)  a roasted combo like you suggested.  Just curious...do you just toss everything in oil and roast them together or is it a particular way you do this.  I'd love to try it!  

@aussiegal I toss them all with fat and cook at 425-ish for 20-25 minutes.  I put mine on a jelly roll pan (that's a flat cookie sheet-like pan with a small lip around the edge covered in parchment paper.  

Broccoli is delicious roasted, too.  My favorite roasted broccoli recipe is here: http://paleogrubs.com/roasted-broccoli-recipe

1 hour ago, snowflower said:

@aussiegal I toss them all with fat and cook at 425-ish for 20-25 minutes.  I put mine on a jelly roll pan (that's a flat cookie sheet-like pan with a small lip around the edge covered in parchment paper.  

Broccoli is delicious roasted, too.  My favorite roasted broccoli recipe is here: http://paleogrubs.com/roasted-broccoli-recipe

@snowflower  Thanks heaps!  This is now on my list to try out as well as the broccoli recipe.  :D

Sorry have another question.  My biggest issue so far is getting fats in my meal.  From what I can tell the only fats mentioned in the program are non-animal fats.  Do animal fats count?  I made bone broth from chicken that has a nice layer of fat on top does that count?  What amount fat in burger meat and steaks?

Thank you!

7 hours ago, damphouse said:

Sorry have another question.  My biggest issue so far is getting fats in my meal.  From what I can tell the only fats mentioned in the program are non-animal fats.  Do animal fats count?  I made bone broth from chicken that has a nice layer of fat on top does that count?  What amount fat in burger meat and steaks?

Thank you!

Animal fats count if you ADD them to your plate after cooking.  The fats contained in meats do not technically count towards your thumb-sized portion.  So if you make some steamed veggies and toss them with duck lard after cooking....that counts.  This is hard for lots of people, especially those who have come from a low-fat diet background.  But don't be afraid to eat the additional fat...it'll keep you going between meals.

17 hours ago, snowflower said:

:o The fact that this did NOT totally derail you is HUGE!! Congrats on surviving the day. 

@snowflower I'm not gonna lie, I kinda had an emotional breakdown & told my husband we might as well quit and just go get a big, juicy cheeseburger and fries from a hamburger joint, but he told me to quit whining and suck it up. Haha! 

Happy Day 6, y'all! Yesterday I got off work later than normal and was starving by the time I got home, that's why I had a late dinner time. I also feel like I ate a lot of potatoes yesterday, more so than I normally do. I can't shake the feeling that because I ate so many potatoes that I didn't do well on my meals yesterday. I know a lot of this has to do with my old mentality that potatoes are too carb-y/starchy and that I need to get out of that mindset, but I also feel like it's my mind telling me that I need to eat more green, leafy vegetables. 

My day 5 meals: 

Breakfast (0745): 2 1/2 hard boiled eggs with guacamole and salsa ; 1/2 baked potato

Break (1400): canned salmon, 1 medium sweet potato, unsweetened shredded coconut

Lunch (1745): canned chicken, 1 cup of broccoli and 1 baked potato, grapes, unsweetened shredded coconut

Dinner (2215): 2 Aidell's chicken & apple sausage links, 1 medium sweet potato, baby carrots, unsweetened shredded coconut

Started Round 2 on the 1st. First Round was awesome, but never fully hit the "apex" of feeling awesome and energized. After a month of reunions and travel, I'm back in the game and aiming for 45-60 days to see if I can reach the summit!  Cheers to everyone. This is a great investment for your body, mind and soul!

Happy Day 7, everyone!  One week is almost down!

I'm off to work this morning and have a fridge full of meals so I won't have to cook and won't need to stop at my favorite bbq place on the way home. :)

I've got salmon cakes from Well Fed, Chicken Hash from Whole30, and Turkey Larb from Whole30 cookbook (my SO went bananas for this so if he eats it all before I get home, I won't be surprised).  And for veggies, I have broccoli cut up and cole slaw and a bag of arugula.  Mayo is made.  Tessemae's ranch just in case.

Have a great day.

Happy Day 7! Today I'm feeling really drained, but I don't know if it's due to my change in diet, outside stressors, or both.

My meals from day 6:

Breakfast (0600): 2 boiled eggs, 1 cup broccoli, unsweetened coconut flakes

Snack (0900): coconut cream pie Larabar, 1 seaweed sheet

Snack (1245): 1 mini cucumber, 1 mini red bell pepper, 1 mini yellow bell pepper, 1 can of chicken with salsa

Lunch (1515): 1 can tuna, 2 cups of broccoli, 1 medium sweet potato, handful of grapes

Dinner (1945):  http://www.joyfulhealthyeats.com/chicken-sausage-pepper-potato-hash/ with Whole30 mayo

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, CTGeorge said:

Happy Day 7! Today I'm feeling really drained, but I don't know if it's due to my change in diet, outside stressors, or both.

My meals from day 6:

Breakfast (0600): 2 boiled eggs, 1 cup broccoli, unsweetened coconut flakes

Snack (0900): coconut cream pie Larabar, 1 seaweed sheet

Snack (1245): 1 mini cucumber, 1 mini red bell pepper, 1 mini yellow bell pepper, 1 can of chicken with salsa

Lunch (1515): 1 can tuna, 2 cups of broccoli, 1 medium sweet potato, handful of grapes

Dinner (1945):  http://www.joyfulhealthyeats.com/chicken-sausage-pepper-potato-hash/ with Whole30 mayo

Hey there - we ask that you don't copy and paste posts from one thread into another... I notice that you have a log going which is great and we encourage you to participate in the group threads but not necessary to put your log in multiple places.

That said, you're consistently eating five times a day which is not recommended.  We want you to eat three meals a day spaced 4-5 hours apart... that's where the fat adaptation magic is... as well, larabars are for emergencies only.

Darn, I've been snacking inbetween meals. I'm a runner too, approximately 4 miles, 5 days a week. Last couple of days have been rough running  (last 1/2 mile feels like I'm running through cement). I don't / can't do a pre run meal as I'm on the road at 6AM. I do a post meal, but it is also my breakfast. Does this mean I can snack after breakfast?

Here's my eats for today:

Breakfast: 1/4 onion, 1/2 red pepper, 1 cup of spinach sauted, add two eggs, scramble, salt & pepper. Cup of black coffee (yuck)

Snack: 1/2 banana with 2 tbsp almond butter

Lunch: 2 cups lettuce, 1/4 red pepper, 10 sugar snap peas, 5 cherry tomatoes, 1/4 avocado, 3 oz chicken breast , 15 cubes of watermelon, 1 tbsp balsamic, 2 tbsp olive oil, various herbs for flavor, salt & pepper.

Snack: 1/2 cup raspberries

Dinner: Broccoli with lemon, olive oil, 1/2 sweet potatoe, 5 oz lean steak

oh, and lots of water. It's hot here in Northern California

• Moderators

Okay so we discourage snacking on fruit and nuts/nut butters... 

I would suggest that you do your run, eat the post workout recommendation of a few bites of lean protein and starchy carb and then 30-45ish minutes later you can eat your Meal 1.  Incidentally, since you listed your meals, you're not eating enough.  Eggs when they are the sole source of protein is as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... I know you can hgold more than two and if you don't want to eat more eggs, try adding some leftover protein.  Your breakfast also does not contain any fat.

Lunch is missing a good portion of protein... how much is 3oz in relation to your own palm's thickness x width x length?  Careful with the fruit, the recommendaiton is 0-2 fist sized servings a day... not sure how 15 cubes of watermelon fits your fist but it sounds like you may have pushed some veggies off your plate to make room for that much watermelon.

Again, we want you to make three meals to keep you going for between 4-5 hours.... snacking is not encouraged altho while you're getting your meals down, if you need to eat, go for protein and fat... a hardboiled egg and blob of mayo works well.

One final thing, what is 'lots' of water?  half your body weight in oz?

Ok, this is VERY helpful. I had a feeling there was too much fruit, didn't recognize not enough fat. Thanks for the suggestion of a protein and fat as I work out the meal combos. Wow, I'm not drinking that much water (half my body weight in oz), typical is 10 -12 8oz glasses of water (some with a twist of lemon and orange). So, I need to drink more?

I'll keep the snacking to a minimum. Thanks!

• Moderators
2 hours ago, LauraAuthor said:

Ok, this is VERY helpful. I had a feeling there was too much fruit, didn't recognize not enough fat. Thanks for the suggestion of a protein and fat as I work out the meal combos. Wow, I'm not drinking that much water (half my body weight in oz), typical is 10 -12 8oz glasses of water (some with a twist of lemon and orange). So, I need to drink more?

I'll keep the snacking to a minimum. Thanks!

10 8oz glasses is 80, which is good for a 160pound person :)  Definitely try and get your oz up there and twists and other fruit are great ways to switch things up!  Try throwing the rind of your watermelon (washed) with a bit of flesh left on in and see how that goes :)

Hey all, i posted to a different July 1st start but I actually started on the 3rd myself and am looking to join a responsive group. 

This is actually my second whole30 and I plan to make it a whole90 and then do the systematic reintroductions for health reasons. I've done a pretty weak job at meal planning thus far because my lifestyle lately is super busy, so I've been relying on a lot of quick meals like eggs and salad. It's not too far off from how I've been eating the last few months aside from the lack of sugar (I would call myself a sugar addict). It's definitely felt easier the second time around compared to the first, if for no other reason than I haven't really had time to focus on the foods I miss all that much. One thing that has been difficult is limiting snacking, so I'll plan to address that this week and try to eat larger meals. 

Hope you're all doing well! Keep it up!

I LOVE that I started this Whole30 on the 1st of the month because I always know what day I'm on. :D

Happy Day 9.  I hope everyone is doing well.  This thread seems very "quiet" compared to past Whole30s I've done.  I've always started on a Monday in the past and the groups have been quite big and active.  

My face is SO clear!  #nonscalevictory I know it's the dairy.  I discovered this during my first Whole30, yet I LOVE ice cream and burrata and goat cheese and do include these in my food freedom.  

I had a great couple of days at work and didn't have any temptations.  Luckily for me food in the breakroom is not appealing unless I witness it being put out for the first time.  Once it's been sitting there, it loses its appeal.  

My breakfasts were 2 eggs cooked in avocado oil, 1 salmon cake, plate of arugula wilted, drizzle of olive oil, coffee with nutpods.  

Lunches were the chicken hash from Whole30, a couple of tablespoons of this trail mix https://www.amazon.com/Living-Intentions-Mango-Sprouted-Trail/dp/B00JTILMXS and a peach.  

Dinner on Friday was larb from the Whole30 cookbook with lettuce (ooops forgot to add a fat to this meal).  Dinner last night was a treat....my SO surprised me with a grilled turkey burger topped with chipotle mayo, grilled asparagus with olive oil, cashew hummus with raw peppers and broccoli.  And when I saw that spread, I thought...I'm going to add a Kombucha!  So he sat with me and drank a beer while I ate dinner (I didn't get home until 8:30pm, so he had eaten before I got home).  

I still have lots of leftovers in the fridge, so today I'll try to focus on using up those before making anything new.  I still have larb...I'm going to try a sauteed mushrooms + larb omelet for breakfast this morning.  And I still have salmon cakes.  Those freeze really well, so that's an option.  I'm back to work on Tuesday for 2 days so will need to do some meal prep on Monday to get me through those 2 days.

Enjoy your Sunday!

Archived