low FODMAP & avocado oil

CaroleLC3

So I tried searching first for this but it really only gave me topics related to either or, and it seemed like several pages to have to sift through.  I am doing the whole 30 and staying within the low FODMAP items.  two of the items that I'm not supposed to have are avocados and garlic, but I have seen that it's ok to use garlic-infused olive oil.  so I am wondering:  does that mean I can also use avocado oil?

I'm asking because I want to stay within the parameters, but I noticed that they sell the Primal Kitchen avocado oil mayo at my local grocery store and I thought it might be nice to try it and have one less thing to have to make from scratch.  so is avocado oil a hazard for those of us on the low FODMAP?

Thank you!

• Moderators

@CaroleLC3 - google gave me this list which lists Avocado OIl on the okay http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/

Often if you're looking for specific information on something that is not necessarily only related to Whole30 (fodmap, low histamine, auto Immune protocol) you can check google as there are many great resources out there.  Its also possible that yes, you do have to sift through several pages in order to find what you're looking for.

13 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

@CaroleLC3 - google gave me this list which lists Avocado OIl on the okay http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/

Often if you're looking for specific information on something that is not necessarily only related to Whole30 (fodmap, low histamine, auto Immune protocol) you can check google as there are many great resources out there.  Its also possible that yes, you do have to sift through several pages in order to find what you're looking for.

well, that list is very odd because it mentions several items that are OK , but that are not OK according to the Whole 30 lowFODMAP list, for instance cabbage is on the list you mention, but off the list that is on the Whole 30 website and blackberries are ok on the whole 30 list but not on the one you mention.  pretty confusing!  I guess for now I will assume that the list is correct on the avocado oil front & go ahead and get the Primal Kitchen Mayo at the grocery store.  thanks for your help.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, CaroleLC3 said:

well, that list is very odd because it mentions several items that are OK , but that are not OK according to the Whole 30 lowFODMAP list, for instance cabbage is on the list you mention, but off the list that is on the Whole 30 website and blackberries are ok on the whole 30 list but not on the one you mention.  pretty confusing!  I guess for now I will assume that the list is correct on the avocado oil front & go ahead and get the Primal Kitchen Mayo at the grocery store.  thanks for your help.

It's not an exact science... people have tolerance levels and their own personal reactions, so any list you're looking at is going to be a reference, not a rule... the whole30 list isn't great honestly... Here's actually the best on that one of our other mods recommends using as well... again, you can see that each list is a little different so it's up to you to determine how you individually do with these items, using the lists as a guide.

https://www.thepaleomom.com/modifying-paleo-for-fodmap-intolerance/

Archived