Day 13 and no changes

Hi all,

I'm looking for guidance. I'm on day 13 of the Whole 30 and have been really good about cooking almost everything at home to be fully compliant. I already felt like I had a good relationship with food - I live in California, shop for all my fruit/veggies exclusively to what's in season and local, buy quality meats, and generally enjoy eating.  I decided to try it because I have a digestive disorder, so I figured it would help "reset" my gut bacteria. I have not had a hard time being compliant and haven't even had any cravings, which surprised me, but I'm also not seeing any changes. I sleep the same, have the same amount of energy, and find myself actually  missing the relationship I had with food, which was more about the enjoyment of the food.

For example, I love the warm texture of oatmeal and miss that as my breakfast; I love the cheesy goodness of quesadillas and miss that as a side to my asparagus (or other seasonal veggie); I subsisted on legumes and miss those terribly. My digestive disorder is still the same and I'm not seeing any benefits there either, so I'm really losing steam. I think I may be losing weight, but that absolutely was not one of my goals and I'd prefer not to keep my weight, though I haven't weighed myself.  What should I do? At what point should I notice SOME change or just decide to try adding back in a few of the removed items to see if they affect me? 

For reference, this is the first time I've ever tried a diet. The only other time was when I kept a food journal to diagnose my lactose intolerance. 

• Administrators

Hi @allthefood - the missing of old familiar favourites is pretty common.  See this article http://whole9life.com/2012/01/the-five-stages-of-food-grief/ but also remember that this is only 30 days. At the end you do reintroductions and decide if the cheesy quesadilla or oatmeal is something that works for you going forward.

As far as why you don't feel any different. It's impossible for us to give directed feedback without knowing what you've been eating, meal timing, quantities, exercise etc. If you can give some details we can see if something stands out. At this point all I could really say is that you are not even halfway through a 30 days program and a lot of people experience most of their change in the latter third.

Archived