Start Date July 5

Sister.Journey

On 7/6/2017 at 1:42 PM, misshannah said:

Me too...I was wondering if other people starting this day  (July 5) would like to have kind of a "group log" for accountability and sharing ideas. Maybe in addition to anyone's personal log? I know I like to keep a log just for tracking purposes, but it doesn't necessarily bring the community support that is so helpful here. 

I see a few more people who started the 5th. Sister.Journey since you have another log started how would you feel about this thread becoming more of a group log? 

I'm starting on July 10th but I would love to be with a group for support.

I'm very excited to have found Whole30.  I went shopping today and it took me almost 2 hours to read all of the labels.  Amazing what's in food that i never paid attention to.

I'll keep checking in:)  also, is anyone on a workout program?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/3/2017 at 1:20 PM, Sister.Journey said:

I posted earlier that I would start on the 3rd not realizing it was before the 4th of July. So new start date July 5. I'm excited. I've talked with my husband who will not be joining me in the Whole 30, but he's okay with my moving all his stuff in the 'fridge to one shelf and all of his stuff in the pantry to one shelf. I'm hoping this will keep me out of non-compliant foods that he buys. I'm excited to do this. Wish me health and happy eating!

Jess

I actually did the same thing.  My fridge is divided with the Whole30 and the Nope side.  I'm lucky as my daughter and husband are joining me with this adventure.  I wish you luck and let's have fun with this.  I start Monday the 10th.  

Barb

Hi Hypothetical, sounds like you are doing great. I made potatoes and eggs frittata with avocado and tomatoes salad for lunch and cooked organic ground beef with onions and a little olive oil and garlic scooped over half a baked potato and baked hunks of summer squash with olive oil, salt, pepper and sesame seeds for dinner. Breakfast was a banana and a handful of almonds because I ran out of food and what I had planned - a nice ham steak - had sugar and I had to put it away for my husband. I had fresh cherries with dinner. I feel a little tired today, so I took it easy and only did a 20 minute walk for exercise. Now to sleep; there's a beautiful full moon out there tonight. Pleasant dreams!

What are you guys favorite things to snack on? I'm doing okay with not eating after dinner (used to eat ice cream, dark chocolate etc) went out with hubs today and realized how much of our date days revolve around food...

Hi Alexa, sorry I can't help; I don't snack! I am having  trouble with one meal each day - like today I was on my way home for lunch and got called in to work. Only enough time to eat a banana and some almonds. By the time I got home I was starved! Then I realized that canned tuna has soy - had to rethink my dinner but I had some cold roast chicken for protein. Still it's the second day in 5 I've had to skip a real meal. Good old news, I'm noticing my gut doesn't feel itchy or sticky. Don't know any other way to describe it. It's all good. How is every one else doing?

4 hours ago, alexamassie said:

What are you guys favorite things to snack on? I'm doing okay with not eating after dinner (used to eat ice cream, dark chocolate etc) went out with hubs today and realized how much of our date days revolve around food...

Out and about snacking, I've learned, was one of my issue. We bought a new couch today and after, my mind was thinking, lets go get a doughnut or a (fill in the blank). When stopped for a second I found I wasn't hungry, but I was thirsty so I go iced tea. So far I haven't done much snacking, except for some cantaloupe. We don't have many date nights per se with an almost two year old, but I can see how planning a night could be difficult. 

No real answers, but good luck!

36 minutes ago, Hypotheticalfox said:

Out and about snacking, I've learned, was one of my issue. We bought a new couch today and after, my mind was thinking, lets go get a doughnut or a (fill in the blank). When stopped for a second I found I wasn't hungry, but I was thirsty so I go iced tea. So far I haven't done much snacking, except for some cantaloupe. We don't have many date nights per se with an almost two year old, but I can see how planning a night could be difficult. 

No real answers, but good luck!

Hehe we don't get many dates either (our daughter is 19months) but today we got to the beach by ourselves for a little but got rained out after 10 mins.. we had the sitter so waned to do something else and found ourselves only thinking of food related things like going for ice cream, or a movie with popcorn. Tonight I snacked on a handful of cherries and it was delicious.

I just found this thread, thanks Misshannah! I started on July 5 with my husband. So far we've done well, sometimes easily, sometimes with more difficulty! I'll be honest, the hardest part for us so far is the alcohol. We're very active AND very social so the hardest part is not having drinks with friends, after a tennis match, after a bike ride, etc.

Lila2103 - I had difficulty falling asleep the first few nights with vivid, shallow dreams that I kept waking up from. Things seem to have settled down now. I have not worked out strenuously (afraid it will make me ravenous) but my husband went on a long 20+ mile bike ride and complained that he was much more tired than usual and his muscles weren't recovering normally. After that we found the recommendations for pre and post workout foods so hopefully it will be better next time! I accidentally ate a big Greek salad too close to my tennis match tonight (was wrong about time) and I paid for it!!

I'm following the week one plan in the Whole30 book which has made meal planning much easier. I made an extra batch of the mayo and the Ranch dressing so that I can always have veggies and dip if I need a snack. Glad to have a group to talk to!

I find weekends with unstructured time to be very challenging. Also, I tend to stay off the computer during those days. How did everyone fare? 

I had a good breakthrough Friday afternoon -- it's a little subtle, so I'll try my best to articulate it!  I was looking around my desk at work at a bunch of unfinished tasks and thinking ugh, this will all be waiting here for me Monday.  Then I started to feel snacky/cravings with the messages in my brain being "what are you going to do for FUN this weekend when you can't enjoy any FUN food or FUN drink! It's summer, everyone is out having FUN and enjoying TREATS why don't you get to have TREATS why are you depriving yourself of FUN AND TREATS?????"

OK here's the breakthrough: when I looked at my work, I felt ANXIETY. But it wasn't detectable because my brain immediately started chattering as above, and I now realize that when I feel anxious, my tricky brain will say whatever it needs to get me to soothe/numb myself with food. So, even though it didn't come right out and say "you have too much work, you deserve a cookie" or whatever, it was still trying to achieve that desired pushing down of the anxiety if I went along with the guilt trip about depriving myself of fun.  My brain is using an effective strategy to manage my anxiety when it tricks me into soothing myself with food. 

I hope this makes sense, it was quite a revelation to me. 

Miss Hannah, I do that too! That's why I stopped using candy as prizes in my classroom, because I was eating too much of it during my prep periods while grading and planning. Brains are tricky.

Because I'm on summer break, it's all basically weekend time for me for a while, and it's tough. Today, my husband, my mother in law, and I are bringing my daughter to the local water park/theme park for the first time. I know  not going to eat anything off plan, but man, I didn't factor in that temptation. I'm taking seasoned baked sweet potato "fries" out of the oven now, and my meatballs will be done shortly. I'm looking forward to them!  And that's the crazy thing, I love all the food I'm eating now, I'm not hungry, but it's the social and habitual eating that's tough, that I don't even really want it, but I'm used to it and feel I should have it.

Lessons learned from Whole30-ing I guess.

im loving all the whole30 lessons as well.. like walking past my boss's office with mints-- i would always get 3 or 4.. why? because they had sugar.. or eating dark chocolate after each meal.. why? sugar.. i was using probably 6-8 packets of truvia A DAY!!.. 2 in my morning coffee, 1 in my oatmeal, and 2 in my afternoon coffee... i just went off the assumption that it was 0 calorie and "better" than real sugar.. but it was making me addicted to my coffee and had me craving other sweets throughout the day.

My 10 year highschool reunion is this Saturday.. i go back and forth between thoughts of "wish i could be eating pizza and beer with everyone else" and "im doing this for ME, who cares what people i havent seen in 10 years think about my eating/drinking choices".... i think ill stick with the latter :)

Finally... some breakthroughs today! Need to share them with some people who get it (hope that's ok).

1. I am not longer crashing mid afternoon 

2. I'm not craving coffee like I used to (I need AT LEAST 1 starbucks venti americano in the morning = 4 shots of coffee, then an afternoon hit). This is a downright miracle after 13 years of that daily habit.

3. I'm travelling for work this week. Breakfast time meant I had to walk past all the gorgeous fancy pastries (my favorite) this morning en route to my veggie, omelette maker. Half way through my omelette, I felt so glad that I wasn't eating the pastries. Because I was enjoying and feeling so satisfied from my breakfast and I knew that I wouldn't feel awful in an hour. This is a big mindset shift for me.

4. I had a small fruit salad with sunflower seeds and some almonds this afternoon = it tasted so frickin good. I was amazed by how much I enjoyed it. Normally a fruit salad is a 'chore' for me.

So in conclusion... it was worth hauling 8 grilled chicken breasts, a kilo of roasted sweet potato, 5 avocados, a jar of tahini and a jar coconut milk to Kenya Africa for this work trip :) so I could stick to my whole30

Only downside, my jeans are feeling a bit tight. I've been over eating a bit. But worth it so far.

How's everyone else doing? 

That's great!! What a triumph to bring all that food to feed yourself, not to mention honoring your commitments to your self and well-being! 

tight pants pshaw! Already non-scale victories and I know there are more to come! 

17 hours ago, acallison said:

Lila2103 - I had difficulty falling asleep the first few nights with vivid, shallow dreams that I kept waking up from. Things seem to have settled down now. I have not worked out strenuously (afraid it will make me ravenous) but my husband went on a long 20+ mile bike ride and complained that he was much more tired than usual and his muscles weren't recovering normally. After that we found the recommendations for pre and post workout foods so hopefully it will be better next time! I accidentally ate a big Greek salad too close to my tennis match tonight (was wrong about time) and I paid for it!!

Thanks... it seems to have passed too now. I slept well last night. Had a day off working out today, will see tomorrow how the recovery is, fingers crossed.

1 minute ago, misshannah said:

That's great!! What a triumph to bring all that food to feed yourself, not to mention honoring your commitments to your self and well-being! 

tight pants pshaw! Already non-scale victories and I know there are more to come! 

Thank you for the encouragement and support, appreciate it!

I'm so inspired by you all! You are doing great. What amazing challenges I've read from you all in this first week -- work, anxiety, travel, sleeplessness, having family off the plan. And you all have met them with grace and poise. Especially digging down deep and seeing what is causing the craving! Terrific stuff. I really feel some improvement in my gut -- it doesn't feel tight and heavy. Even after our large portions, I feel like I'm actually digesting my food again. It doesn't stay with me for hours and hours. My challenges have been reading the INGREDIENTS! Twice this week I sat down to eat something only to stop and check and realize, nope, off plan. Had to put it away and start over. But it's been a good learning. Glad to be through my first weekend. I have been posting my meals [most of them] on Facebook and Instagram and have received all kinds of support. There's a lot of people who are doing this and have done this and they are saying such encouraging things! I'm going out now for a walk and then rest for the night. Keep in touch!

be the awareness.jpg

I can say to myself this is not a weight loss program and I believe it. I can hear mods and others say it and I can believe them. However, there is a not-insubstantial part of myself who feels disappointed when my clothes don't fit any looser. How can my body be fat adapted and not burn off this fat?? It's early, we're only on day 7 and I wasn't eating great before. I already feel 1000x better, my lungs and sinuses are so clear, which means obviously that my inflammation is subsiding. But I wish I could experience getting smaller. It's kind of depressing. It's not why I'm doing this, but I am ever hopeful for it to happen anyway. I didn't measure or weigh before I started because doing those things makes me feel like dying. So I'll be going by clothing fit only in my evaluation over the course. 

I hope you're all feeling great and 1000x better like I am. I need to keep focusing on those non "scale" victories. I need to believe that once I'm truly fat adapted and eating the quantity of food my body needs, it will burn fat. I believe that, I just wish it would happen sooner. :(

I too want to lose weight. I have a thyroid condition and losing the 50 lbs I gained after diagnosis three years ago seemed impossible. I tried WW for four months and didn't lose an ounce -- I didn't gain any weight, which was good as I was putting on 1 to 2 lbs a month! But I was discouraged. I tried 1,500 calories a day for six months, barely moved the scale. My metabolism is shot, my food was not clean and my energy level was uneven. That's why I finally decided to do something about inflammation and the Whole30 seemed sensible and doable. We've made it one week Misshannah! We are going to see changes outside to match what we are feeling inside. We're here for each other!

cheshire cat.jpg

By the way, I hope everyone in this support thread feels free to be super honest and real and give voice to your struggles and fears. We can be here for each other and this will make it possible to stick with this process even when the going gets tough for any one individual. If you're down or confused or whatever, please share with everyone so your burden will be lightened! 

So i know that the timeline says days 6-7 "i want a nap" but you guys.. i have so much energy its nuts! Usually (pre whole30 and even in the first couple of days) I would fall asleep on my couch at night around 8:30 for an hour until my husband woke me up to go to bed... i was up until 10:30 last night wide awake! I had to force myself to go to bed bc my toddler wakes up at 6.. so I woke up this morning with a ton of energy (my husband too!) we were dancing around the kitchen cooking breakfast, and we stopped... looked at each other like wtf?! anyone else???

** i will add though that my workout this morning-- even though i had enough mental energy.. my muscles felt tired and weak**

9 minutes ago, misshannah said:

Yaay!! I'm so glad for you! Be kind with yourself regarding working out! Make sure you read the book about pre and post workout food -- it's IN ADDITION to the full meal template, so don't skimp on yourself! 

hmm.. i dont have the book- ive just been going off of the website, (i bought realplans) and blogs and stuff.. but i had a big breakfast this morning at 6:30- 3 over medium eggs, some fried potatoes in coconut oil, and 3 pieces of compliant bacon, and my workout was at 9.. i didnt feel hungry at all before, and after class i had a banana with almond butter... not enough?

Archived