Start Date July 5

Sister.Journey

I think the point is that there are good science based recommendations for the composition of your pre and post workout meals and if you're not able to maintain your normal energy or your recovery isn't what you want you might want to dial in on those WO meals. They really are meant to be in addition to the normal 3 meals. I'm sure there's a resource on this website, there's a forum for it: http://forum.whole30.com/forum/11-whole30-for-athletes/

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, alexamassie said:

So i know that the timeline says days 6-7 "i want a nap" but you guys.. i have so much energy its nuts! Usually (pre whole30 and even in the first couple of days) I would fall asleep on my couch at night around 8:30 for an hour until my husband woke me up to go to bed... i was up until 10:30 last night wide awake! I had to force myself to go to bed bc my toddler wakes up at 6.. so I woke up this morning with a ton of energy (my husband too!) we were dancing around the kitchen cooking breakfast, and we stopped... looked at each other like wtf?! anyone else???

** i will add though that my workout this morning-- even though i had enough mental energy.. my muscles felt tired and weak**

I totally hear you. I've been waking up feeling ready to go, not dragging, and at night I'm not exhausted either. During the day I don't feel like a need a nap. I used to think my tiredness was just from having a toddler (and maybe it partially was), but I can see my eating had a definite impact.

It's so crazy how our bodies work. No wonder the diet industry is a multi-billion dollar behemoth. It sells a one-size-fits-all solution that fits no one, so people keep giving them money. My day 6 was RIGHT in the timeline! I fell asleep at work during the day and was SO TIRED I could barely eat dinner! 

I'll admit, I did take a small nap on Day 6, but for the most part I have felt great! We also made it through our first social engagement last night with everyone saying how crazy we were to try to give up all our fun in the summer. We explained that there is really no "good" time to start a program like this, so why not when it's hardest! If we can do this we can do anything! ;) In reality, there is no "bad" time to make a healthy change, right!? I had a great time hanging out with friends and sipping on some Kombucha instead of a beer!

Today was a bit tougher as it was a crazy busy day at work that didn't allow me to eat lunch until just now at almost 5. If I had prepped last night (like I was supposed to) I would have been able to grab my lunch on the way out the door and wouldn't have been starving all day. It reminded me of saying we used to have at work: Poor Planning=Poor Performance. 

Glad everyone is doing well. The results will eventually come!

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 0:04 PM, misshannah said:

I think the point is that there are good science based recommendations for the composition of your pre and post workout meals and if you're not able to maintain your normal energy or your recovery isn't what you want you might want to dial in on those WO meals. They really are meant to be in addition to the normal 3 meals. I'm sure there's a resource on this website, there's a forum for it: http://forum.whole30.com/forum/11-whole30-for-athletes/

ill definitely check that out. I'm a full time personal trainer so I teach classes (that I have to also do with them) and then try and get my own personal workouts in as well, so I'm pretty active. Thanks!

Day 7 and Day 8 I've had some digestion issues. I'm not suffering, but I've had some lower GI stuff and a lack of appetite. I thought I might have to go home from work yesterday in case I threw up. It could be a slight stomach bug or it could just be detoxing. I'm okay today, still have the 'runs' and low appetite. I'm eating anyway and feel a little low in energy. I have to teach tai chi tonight and will need some energy for that, but I believe I'll be okay. I am thrilled that it's Day 8 and I've been able to cook my meals and take food to work. Really, I have hardly ever done this my whole adult life! I'm spending a lot on food but hardly anything at restaurants and in the cafeteria. I also got my delivery from US Wellness Meats of program-approved bacon, organic ground beef and cans of salmon. So I'm stocked up with protein. Otherwise, all is well. Hope everyone else is having a great day!

Out of nowhere today totally kicked my butt! I had a tennis clinic this morning and I thought I ate pretty well when I got home, but this afternoon I completely crashed! I felt a bit better after have some Rasberry Zinger tea, but I didn't get as much work done today as I would have liked. I might be a day behind on the Whole30 timeline with still needing a nap!

@Sister.Journey I'm sorry to hear of your digestive issues. I think I read that this could happen, or that you go in the other direction and be stopped up. Hopefully it will pass!

The challenge for me tonight is to have a "Girls Night Out" at a bar and figure out what to have in my hand while doing so! Ideas anyone?

On 7/8/2017 at 8:42 PM, Sister.Journey said:

Hi Barb, welcome. Glad to have you here! We have totally got this and having a group for support and accountability helps. I finished out Day 4 and am so thrilled. I was worried how my first weekend would go. 

Ok Day 3 and so far so good.  Well for me.  My daughter is struggling but I'll get her through this.  I'm having problems already with breakfast as I have high cholesterol and eggs are limited.  I went on Pinterest and found so many wonderful egg-less ideas.  Love Pinterest.

13 hours ago, Barb Owens said:

I'm having problems already with breakfast as I have high cholesterol and eggs are limited.  

Please do a little research into this.....eggs do NOT contribute to high cholesterol in the ways that have been projected in past years. I have been eating Whole30-ish for over 3 years now and my LDL cholesterol has gone DOWN and I eat eggs daily.  You are missing out on an amazing protein source.  Godspeed.

I agree with snowflower. From what I've read there's no evidence that dietary cholesterol leads to high blood cholesterol. If you like eggs you might want to check with your medical provider... you could measure your levels and try some eggs and remeasure to check. 

UGH TIMELINE

I'm so tired of eating. I don't even feel deprived of anything I'm not eating, I'm just tired of eating in general. It's neverending! But according to the timeline these are the hardest days, comadres. We're on day 9, we just have to put our heads down and hold on through days 10-11. I used to post to a message board where people would get frustrated because they would post duplicate posts accidentally, like ALL THE TIME. The moderators would caution people to click on the submit button ONLY ONCE no matter what you see. But people would click the submit and think nothing was happening, so they'd click it again. Hence the double posts. The moderators would say "TRUST THE GUI." GUI means guided user interface. They meant even if it seems like nothing's happening, trust that it is. Whenever I face something like the next two days where I don't have a lot of faith in the process, I recall that phrase. TRUST THE GUI. Things will happen. 

I hope everyone's doing well :D

1 hour ago, misshannah said:

UGH TIMELINE

I'm so tired of eating. I don't even feel deprived of anything I'm not eating, I'm just tired of eating in general. It's neverending! But according to the timeline these are the hardest days, comadres. We're on day 9, we just have to put our heads down and hold on through days 10-11. I used to post to a message board where people would get frustrated because they would post duplicate posts accidentally, like ALL THE TIME. The moderators would caution people to click on the submit button ONLY ONCE no matter what you see. But people would click the submit and think nothing was happening, so they'd click it again. Hence the double posts. The moderators would say "TRUST THE GUI." GUI means guided user interface. They meant even if it seems like nothing's happening, trust that it is. Whenever I face something like the next two days where I don't have a lot of faith in the process, I recall that phrase. TRUST THE GUI. Things will happen. 

I hope everyone's doing well :D

What a great way of looking at this entire process! My husband keeps saying that he doesn't feel like he has lost weight (his main goal) so I will share this with him.

As for being tired of eating...I get it! I feel like all I have done for the past week is read about food, plan food, buy food, make food, eat food and think about food planning all over again. It is exhausting but WE'RE ALMOST A THIRD OF THE WAY THERE!

I don't feel a lot different weight-wise, but I DO feel proud of myself for having come this far and am really loving my energy level and excellent sleep. I made it through girls' night and just had the best post-workout meal of sweet potato stuffed with pork carnitas. This is a recipe from the Whole30 book, so I don't know if it is available online. That one recipe was worth buying the book for me. Even my 18 year old who doesn't like sweet potatoes loved it for dinner last night!

Buckle down everyone! The next two days we just need to remain aware that they will be hard and push through it!

3 minutes ago, acallison said:

What a great way of looking at this entire process! My husband keeps saying that he doesn't feel like he has lost weight (his main goal) so I will share this with him.

As for being tired of eating...I get it! I feel like all I have done for the past week is read about food, plan food, buy food, make food, eat food and think about food planning all over again. It is exhausting but WE'RE ALMOST A THIRD OF THE WAY THERE!

I don't feel a lot different weight-wise, but I DO feel proud of myself for having come this far and am really loving my energy level and excellent sleep. I made it through girls' night and just had the best post-workout meal of sweet potato stuffed with pork carnitas. This is a recipe from the Whole30 book, so I don't know if it is available online. That one recipe was worth buying the book for me. Even my 18 year old who doesn't like sweet potatoes loved it for dinner last night!

Buckle down everyone! The next two days we just need to remain aware that they will be hard and push through it!

Yes, all the food thinking is exhausting. I was mentioning the same thing to my husband, that one downside of W30 is that it allows me to indulge that food-related obsessive thinking that I want to do. But I'm also getting tired of it.

HOWEVER: I'm not sure about that specific carnitas recipe, but I'm having Citrus Carnitas from WellFed tonight! For anyone who eats pork, MAKE CARNITAS. Stuffed in a sweet potato sounds delish. I particularly like them crisped and then put in an omelet with salsa and avocado and cilantro. The flavors!!!

day 9?! what the heck.. cant believe its gone by this fast! Definitely some tough moments but overall I feel great! Still trying to figure out my pre-post workout foods and timing but im sure ill get the hang of it (hopefully, ha!) After work yesterday i was STARVING hungry.. (obviously didnt eat enough at lunch..) so I ran to starbucks to get some coffee with almond milk and I got there egg/cheese protein box (obviously didnt eat the cheese/peanut butter or bread) but 2 HB eggs, some apple slices, and grapes and felt so much better.... just an fyi for those who frequent starbucks and need quick options...

Also- question: while i was at sbux i saw these "BARE" apple chips- the ingredients are just apples and cinnamon. Are these okay or are they also advised against since its "chip-like"

Thanks!!

The mods will give you different answers but I feel like this about that stuff: I'm an adult-ass woman. I have to be honest with myself about what I'm doing here and why. And what my habits are. And in what ways I sabotage myself.

So, if you don't  have a problem overeating sweet stuff or chippy stuff or snacking in general, AND you have those apple chips on the side of a fully-composed template meal complete with 3+cups of veg AND you enjoy the serving AND they don't make you crave sweet or chippy stuff later in the day, then sure, why not? They're compliant, so by the letter of the law they're allowed. But what is the spirit of the law and where are your individual traps/lines?  

• Moderators
2 hours ago, alexamassie said:

day 9?! what the heck.. cant believe its gone by this fast! Definitely some tough moments but overall I feel great! Still trying to figure out my pre-post workout foods and timing but im sure ill get the hang of it (hopefully, ha!) After work yesterday i was STARVING hungry.. (obviously didnt eat enough at lunch..) so I ran to starbucks to get some coffee with almond milk and I got there egg/cheese protein box (obviously didnt eat the cheese/peanut butter or bread) but 2 HB eggs, some apple slices, and grapes and felt so much better.... just an fyi for those who frequent starbucks and need quick options...

Also- question: while i was at sbux i saw these "BARE" apple chips- the ingredients are just apples and cinnamon. Are these okay or are they also advised against since its "chip-like"

Thanks!!

I feel like these would fall under the commercially prepared chips ban, but as was mentioned above, you're an adult. 

I would double check with your local Starbucks -- it used to be that none of their milk substitutes were compliant. I don't know if that has changed or not, I haven't checked recently.

For pre and post workout, post is the more important one for recovery, and should be lean protein and starchy vegetables. It sounds like you are very active and may need even more food than just three meals and your post-workout, or you may feel best with more starchy vegetables than the average person. If you feel tired or like you're not recovering well from workouts, it's okay to eat more.

50 minutes ago, ShannonM816 said:

, but as was mentioned above, you're an adult. 

Just for the record, I didn't mean "you're an adult so no one can tell you what to do." I mean "as an adult-ass woman, I need to be real with myself and be HONEST about my tendencies and motives and not act like a child with no accountability or responsibility for my choices."

In case that wasn't clear :)

Edited to add: not that alexamassie was acting like a child!

Yoinks!! I need to stop digging the hole I'm in, it's just getting deeper! 

11 hours ago, snowflower said:

Please do a little research into this.....eggs do NOT contribute to high cholesterol in the ways that have been projected in past years. I have been eating Whole30-ish for over 3 years now and my LDL cholesterol has gone DOWN and I eat eggs daily.  You are missing out on an amazing protein source.  Godspeed.

Thank you so much for your input.  I love eggs but it's my doctor that has me limited to 3 a week.  Yikes.... I eat a lot of egg whites.  That works ok but I seem to need more.  

5 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

I feel like these would fall under the commercially prepared chips ban, but as was mentioned above, you're an adult. 

I would double check with your local Starbucks -- it used to be that none of their milk substitutes were compliant. I don't know if that has changed or not, I haven't checked recently.

For pre and post workout, post is the more important one for recovery, and should be lean protein and starchy vegetables. It sounds like you are very active and may need even more food than just three meals and your post-workout, or you may feel best with more starchy vegetables than the average person. If you feel tired or like you're not recovering well from workouts, it's okay to eat more.

I brought my own almond milk :) didn't want to risk Starbucks being compliant or not(I'd imagine it's not) honestly I do think I need more food-- I'm still hungry quite often even after a large lunch. I burn about 450-700 cals a day from exercise alone.. I'm going to try and do a HB egg before workout.. but immediately after my workout is where I'm lost.. I was doing an apple with almond butter but that only holds me over for like 40mins. I heard that maybe doing one of the baby food pouches of sweet potato could be quick and easy?? And I usually have them on hand for my daughter.... thoughts?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, alexamassie said:

I'm going to try and do a HB egg before workout.. but immediately after my workout is where I'm lost.. I was doing an apple with almond butter but that only holds me over for like 40mins. I heard that maybe doing one of the baby food pouches of sweet potato could be quick and easy?? And I usually have them on hand for my daughter.... thoughts?

The sweet potato pouches -- or just a sweet potato you cooked and put in a Tupperware container -- is good for the starchy vegetable post workout. Combine it with some chicken or tuna or other lean protein. Maybe make a frittata like this one and take a portion with you each day:  https://stupideasypaleo.com/2014/12/02/paleo-chicken-sweet-potato-frittata/

This article talks about what to have post workout:  http://whole9life.com/2015/02/eat-post-workout/

@ShannonM816 thanks so much for the recipe! i'll definitely be making that!! I brought one of the baby food pouches (ingredients are just sweet potato and apple) and a HB egg so hopefully that does the trick until lunch time!!--- which today is shrimp and zucchini noodles with compliant tomato sauce... so good!!!

13 minutes ago, alexamassie said:

@ShannonM816 thanks so much for the recipe! i'll definitely be making that!! I brought one of the baby food pouches (ingredients are just sweet potato and apple) and a HB egg so hopefully that does the trick until lunch time!!--- which today is shrimp and zucchini noodles with compliant tomato sauce... so good!!!

I'm jealous of your shrimp. My husband wont eat it and it's too expensive to buy for just myself. Maybe this week I'll get some anyway.

21 minutes ago, Hypotheticalfox said:

I'm jealous of your shrimp. My husband wont eat it and it's too expensive to buy for just myself. Maybe this week I'll get some anyway.

Hypotheticalfox maybe you have a little extra in your food budget since you're probably not eating out or eating some of the pricier convenience foods we all usually grab? I hate to see you say it's too expensive to buy it for yourself. You're worth a little shrimp!!

Archived