Start Date July 5

Sister.Journey

1 hour ago, misshannah said:

I'm posting this because I process better this way. It's day 14 and I am so disappointed that my pants aren't looser that I start to think maybe I should reduce X or Y, or stop eating Z etc. 

I have to have a very stern talk with myself: Misshannah, practice what you preach. This isn't a diet. This is not for weight loss. This is to heal hormones and maybe even disordered eating, and certainly a gut deranged by sugar and oils it can't tolerate and processed foods. Trust the process and EAT. What if you GAIN WEIGHT and at the same time FEEL FREE? What if you trust your BODY? It's day 14 for goodness sake...it's not even half over and you're sweating some pants? What about your mood? What about your CLEAR SINUSES AND LUNGS? 

Lady, get real with yourself. Everything is fine and you are doing fine and you just need to RELAX. When it's safe for your body to release weight, it will. 

I KNOW that my reason for doing whole 30 is to see how it affects my skin, but I also have been thinking about weight. I haven't noticed any changes, but today my husband commented, unprompted, on how I had already lost some side chub (for lack of a better term). I don't think he was making it up. I think it's one of those things that someone outside my body can't see that maybe I can't. 

Either way, this sort of eating does seem to be helping my skin. even though we're not even half way done,I can see some changes there. 

keep up the good work!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just made home made mayo and ranch dressing for the first time. It might sound stupid, but I felt like a scientist when the egg and oil emulsified into mayo. I texted a picture of it to my mom, who correctly guessed it must be nap time, and she complimented me that she had never known that you could make your own mayo.

Whole30 win.

Sorry I've been absent! Just got busy and had to put my head down to get through it. It sounds like everyone is doing fabulous! @misshannah I also had a day of feeling sad and sorry for myself because I wasn't feeling the weight loss I was hoping for, but then like the rest of you I focused on what I have gained rather than lost: restful sleep, more energy, positive feelings about myself and what I've accomplished, and gratitude that my husband has stuck with me on this even though it wasn't his idea! I did adjust my meals a bit. I'm only 4'10", so I think the recommended portions are just too much for someone my size. Since doing this a couple of days ago I feel much better after eating and *think* I may even have gotten a tiny bit smaller. Anyway, I feel better! We're halfway there everyone! 

On 7/19/2017 at 3:13 PM, Sister.Journey said:

Wow! Can you do this without a food processor? I have blender. Maybe I can give it a try?

I'm not sure; it's my first time doing it. I bet you can. I'm sure someone on the internet has tried, succeeded, and then blogged about it.

I went up to IKEA in Burlington today and after doing a bit of research, was pleasantly surprised to find not one but TWO different restaurants in the area that made vegan food that was whole 30 compliant. I didn't even miss my plate of meatballs and potatoes with lingonberries. Felt pretty good about that. Now, if only I didn't live two hours away from Burlington.

Knowing that my dessert options are limited, the other night, my mother in law stopped at a farm stand near our house and bout a big bag of peaches for us. It was really sweet, and I love a fresh peach as much as the next girl, but I don't quite know what to do with all of them. Usually I'd make cobbler, or pie, or turn them into a syrup or pancake topping, but without sugar and things, I'm kind of at a loss. Any suggestions? 

• Moderators
On 7/19/2017 at 2:13 PM, Sister.Journey said:

Wow! Can you do this without a food processor? I have blender. Maybe I can give it a try?

You can make mayo without a food processor. A blender might work, though I've heard that some of the more powerful ones like Vitamix can be a little tricky, because they run a little too fast/hot. If you have an immersion or stick blender hidden away somewhere, that's  by far the easiest way to do it, but there are instructions here for using a blender. 

Ranch dressing is basically the same instructions, but adding herbs to season it. There's a recipe here, just use the basic instructions for how to do mayo in the blender with those ingredients. And if you don't like that particular ranch dressing, there are a bunch of other recipes -- it's just a matter of figuring out which herbs and what kind of vinegar you like.

Sorry I've been so absent too! I've made it through lots of outings and social gatherings and honestly- I don't even feel like I'm missing out on the food... sure it looks good but I don't feel restricted at all. I have so much energy, my body feels so good that I wouldn't even want it at this point. Also (TMI) by I got my period! Which was the whole reason I started this so PTL for that! 

I try not to spend too much time on the internet on the weekends, but I am still here reading everyone's stuff. Day 20 for those of us who started on the 5th, so we're 2/3 over. I'm doing fine, not having many food issues, but also not experiencing any dramatic changes. Last night I only got up once to pee (if you're over 45 you'll know how nice this is), so I got that going for me. Food has been fine, my spouse and I have been consistently planning and executing for about 4-5 days at a go. That keeps the food fresh in terms of veggies not going bad etc, and allows for some routine where needed, but we're not eating the same thing day after day for long stretches, so I'm not getting bored. Although I am the type who can eat roughly the same for long periods. Our main salvation this round is what I call "hard salad" for lunch every day. This is a no-leaf bowl of raw veg plus some protein -- usually up to 4 hb eggs, or some combo of eggs and meat. It has also olives, a few pumpkin/sunflower seeds and comes with a small cup of guacamole. I *usually* dress the salad with olive oil and balsamic, but my guy made ranch and it is delicious!!! Hard salad has a colorful variety of veg and it is so satisfying I know I will want to continue eating it after I'm done. And I think about how good my body and my digestion must feel eating all these vegetables and I'm proud of myself for doing it! 

I haven't had any great psychological insights, and I'm not ready to dread the end yet because there's still 10 days, so I feel like this is basically the "august" of the whole 30. That period where there aren't really any downs, but aren't any great ups either. I think if I added some movement I might get to experience a little more ups, but I just haven't yet.

How is everyone else doing? 

Happy Day 20 everyone! I had a lot more weight to lose I think than most of you -- I weighed in the day on July 4th [the day before we began] at 226 lbs, more than 50 lbs over what I had weighed before I was diagnosed with hypothyroid problems. I have not weighed myself but I can tell you my clothes fit better and I'm sure I have lost weight. Although with the amount of food I am eating I am amazed that my stomach looks so much better! I think my results are more dramatic because I had so much more to lose. Also I had several days of no appetite and lower digestive issues so I could not eat as much as called for [Days 7, 8 and 9 and then again on day 18]. I'm actually worried a little about changing my diet as we finish the 30. I have tried dozens of ways to lose weight since my diagnosis with absolutely no success, including WW and restrictive calories.  I was aware of my joint issues and thought that was about my age [just turned 60] and my added weight. Then I read more about inflammation and I looked at what I was eating and the light bulb went off. Someone I worked with was on the Whole30 and a month later I signed on. This is the first time in over 3 years I have been able to lose weight and I'm not suffering. When we are done I'll share the 'after' photos. The before photo I think I posted here on day 3 or 4 in this topic. I don't feel any cravings and I'm not crazy around food. I am calculating and planning more and I've never cooked for myself before as I was in a career that was sort of 24/7 and always ate out at restaurants. It's a whole new world. My partner is not on the 30 with me, but since I started even he turned down ice cream after dinner last night! Amazing!

21 days in and I finally almost have enough bones in my freezer to make bone broth. Has anyone made some yet? I have some chicken and some beef (and one lamb chop bone).  I think I can combine different animals with no ill effects. I plan on using nomnompaleo's instant pot directions. Any suggestions before I try it in the next few days?

Is it seriously day 22?! Crazy. What else is crazy is how great I feel! I honestly have NO desire to go back to eating the way I was... anyone starting to come up with a game plan for reintroducing foods after we're done? I think i have a big problem with dairy (makes sense since I was lactose intolerant as a kid...) so dairy is out, and Im not too upset about that except for when I think about if I'll never have a slice of pizza again... 

Amazing right? I feel great and my clothes look so much better on me. I have gotten my waist back! I'm curvy again :) However, I've still got a long way to go, I'm probably still over 200 lbs, so I may do another 30 to help my body further alexamassie. I've done a lot of damage these last three years while in graduate school. I just graduated with my doctorate and was determined to focus on my health and body with the Whole30. This has been great. I also haven't got any cravings to eat my old foods. Although I would love to have a café latte -- however I'm thinking dairy is going to stay off my list for good too. But I'm not thinking 'forever' you know? I'm taking it one day at a time -- even after the 30. Big hugs to all!

joy.jpg

As we approach our last week I'm thinking about reintroductions and food freedom. I made a basic reintro plan yesterday, but looking at it today made me laugh. I have one ingredient per reintro day, so I have peanuts, soy, black beans each 2-3 days apart. All legumes. Duh. And corn, rice, oats on separate days. All non-gluten grains, duh. 

So I know I don't tolerate white or whole wheat flour very well. I think I'll not reintro gluten grains, and just approach the eating of them with the mindfulness plan of "is it healthy for me" (which the answer is no for flour), and "is it special?" I also know that sugar is a treacherously slippery slope and even someone who thinks he doesn't have a sweet tooth can slide right down that demon slide to find himself double fisting jelly bellies from costco. SO, I'm keeping a close eye on sugar by relaxing on the rule about it in condiments etc, but since very few baked goods are special and we like fruit in my house, I hope to keep processed sugar off my regular rotation entirely.  I want to stay fat adapted so I will be consciously trying to limit my carb intake and sugary stuff will kill my plan. 

I know dairy makes me break out and get phlegmmy throat, so milk/cream/soft dairy will fall under the "is it special" rule. I want to reintro butter and hard cheeses because I'd like them in my regular plan. They will be reintro'd last. 

So my plan is:

Non-gluten grains (corn, rice, rolled oats)

1-3 days of w30

Legumes (peanuts/pb, peas, soy (as soy sauce), black beans)

1-3 days of w30

Dairy (butter, hard cheese)

1-3 days of w30

This time has been good for me mentally. I'm not sure why, I guess I feel like I was really really sick and tired of being sick and tired (sorry for the cliche) and something just clicked. I am looking forward to trusting myself with the full understanding that straying far (which can seem like failure) is not failure and is part of the cycle, and that resets will always be a part of my life. What a relief to have the power to take such caring action when I feel sick and tired! 

Fabulous plan and so thoughtful. I think you got it misshannah :)

I'm on the fence about whether to start reintroduction of other foods. I have a ways to go before I'm really cleared I think. I totally get the sugar dragon too. I had a supper last night of ground organic beef with onions and garlic on one half baked potato and green beans with cherries for fruit. It was the first time in my life I noticed why onions are called 'sweet.' I could taste a sweetness I never noticed before probably because my taste buds were burnt out on sugary baked goods and candy. Man, food has never tasted so good to me in my life. How can I give this up? Big hugs to one and all!

Day 27 y'all! Wow. What a ride. I haven't decided yet on my re-entry plan. I may do whole thirty for another month or I'm thinking of keeping to the whole thirty but not being so rigid about sugar in say ham or sausage [within reason]. Not going to allow for additives or added sugar or any artificial sweeteners. Misshannah looks to have a great program [see above post]. I'm not really interested in anything else, except I do get a strong urge to put milk in my coffee again. I did have an uncomfortable moment yesterday, I had been invited to my brother's house for a birthday party for his mother-in-law. I ate ahead of the party so I'd be full, but when I walked in the house there was a huge birthday cake and calzone's were on the menu, I hugged by brother and spent a few minutes with him and said hello to the kids, dropped off the small present and after hugs all around, I left. Honestly. I couldn't see spending several hours in that environment. Thanks everyone for the congratulations on my graduation and congratulations back at you for your accomplishments :) I have a ways to go on the 9 factors and maybe that will help me decide my next 30 days. How about you?

9graphic.jpg

Hi SisterJourney - 

I finished my W30 on July29th and have just reintroduced one item - wine, of course!  I bought Frey wine without the added sulfites and just the alcohol alone disrupted my sleep more than anything. I too am struggling with a plan for post W30. I figured adding 1 new thing a week should let me test my system. Next week I am making one of my old favorites - Pea Soup in the crockpot with some W30 ham (if I can find it) so I will see what that does. Anyway, thanks for the Whole9 Eval Factors. Some how I missed that in my W30 site scouring.  

When is your Day 31 and what will be your first reinto item?

Cheers!

Hi Ouisie! Today is day 29 -- I had to check because I didn't know for sure. I guess I'm in denial about leaving the W30 plan and coming into reentry. I just read a story by someone on the whole 30 for over a year and he hasn't weighed himself in all that time. I'm thinking I'd like to add that to my forevers. No weighing. No being a slave to some number. Freedom! The only think I miss is milk in my coffee, but I don't want to mess up my feeling good and have not had a belly ache for a week now -- miracle. I think the only thing I will add is oatmeal. I miss my whole oats in the morning with a little fruit and cinnamon and raisins. Otherwise, I may take the brakes off of ham and sausage that -- I'm not looking for added sugar, but some products are good and shouldn't trigger sugar cravings or so says the reentry post I read. I'm not sure about bacon though. I bought the US Wellness meats whole 30 approved bacon -- it doesn't taste anything like what I am used to as it has 0 sugar and is not cured, but I really like not feeling like six slices is not enough of the other bacon. It was the sugar that made it seem like a bottomless pit. I like that I'm not jacked up all the time and crashing all the time on sugar. I like that I don't have stomach aches and puffiness. I'm going to go really slow. I don't drink so wine or alcohol is not a factor for me. But enjoy everyone - to each her own <3

Begin again..jpg

Hello Ladies - 

I will try to keep up with you Julyfivers even though  I am a bit "older" than you guys - I started on June 29th!

I too waver on how to live life after the W30. Outside my 'unintential reintro' of gluten yesterday - I am trying to be intentional with my choices. So far I have evaluated two challenge foods - wine and gluten - and it is amazing what that stuff does to you. I will be Intentionally adding back legunes next week in the form of my favorite Navy Bean Soup with W30 ham. Will keep you posted on the results.

thanks for letting me sneak in on the thread.

Archived