Help! I just want some facts

TiffanyLF

Hey All,

I'm starting the 2nd week of my Whole 30. I am enjoying it so far and it hasn't been too hard--we'll see in the days to come. However, one thing I'm worried about is reintroduction. What types of foods have people been experiencing problems with and did you have an indications of a problem with this food (or particular food group)before starting the Whole 30? Info regarding your experiences would be helpful. While I realize and agree that each person is different, it appears I'm starting to see a trend and the researcher in me is curious about further exploring it. Thanks!!

Tiffany

It's a pretty individual thing, I think. I don't seem to have issues with dairy (at least none that I've observed), but grains put me in a pretty bad fog and then I crash (think: birthday cake). I have yet to reintroduce legumes, but I'm gonna stay grain free, if not only for the potential for GI disruption, but for body comp improvements.

Everyone is very different. You could read the logs of people who are reintroducing if you would like individual results. For me, dairy and gluten caused bloating and a feeling of malais. I rarely have them. It really has to be worth it. I didn't reintroduce legumes because I don't really miss them and if I have them in the future, I will know at that time.

I can tell you that I never perceived an issue with any foods before the whole30. However, that does not mean that there was not some underlying hormonal impact. Just from the energy boost alone, I suspect that consumption of these less healthy foods was contributing to something.

I am currently doing my reintroduction, and like some others, have been documenting it in the reintroduction section.

I can tell you that the stuffy nose/congestion that I have dealt with for most of my adult life is likely caused by dairy. Every incidence of reintro of it has caused that as a negative effect.

Grains starting on Wednesday!

I am almost 30 days into my reintroduction and remain fairly compliant. I've learned that dairy aggravates my sinuses and makes me stuffy. During my confinement in last week's hurricane, I ate a small piece of bread and a few dumplings. The results were disastrous. It's almost a week later and my stomach still isn't quite right. I know I can't handle gluten and sugar is my enemy so I will stay away from both. I don't miss legumes or even anything processed so I won't even bother including them in my eating plan. Like everyone has said, results are individual. Good luck!

I didn't think I had any issue prior to going paleo and then doing my first Whole30 a year later. I will say that I've since learned otherwise.

The only thing that gives me an immediate reaction is corn. I can't eat even one chip on an empty stomach without pretty violent pain. But gluten, dairy, sugar, legumes...all seem just fine with one serving in an otherwise compliant diet. The only problem is that most of these are also trigger foods making me crave more. And if I give in - certainly more than one small serving will start causing problems and it takes my digestive system (never mind the rest of me!) days to recover.

I remember trying dairy and waiting for an 'a-ha' moment and it never happened. Same with legumes (I tried hummus). Then again with a piece of french bread at a fancy restaurant. It wasn't until I was traveling and ended up eating these items multiple meals in a row that I started seeing the effects.

I have been suspecting problems with dairy a long time before Whole30, but the reintroduction really proved it. Dairy made me all congested and bloated. So now dairy is out, for sure.

I also think I should skip wheat, sugar, and alcohol, but I have not reintroduced any of them yet.

Whole grains, on the other hand, seems to be fine. And I hope I will be able to eat legumes, since I am a big fan of lentils and beans. But I have yet to reintroduce them to see.

The biggest lesson so far is how bad dairy makes me feel. And although I suspected it before, I am now sure.

Dairy makes me stuffed up and headachey. More than a serving in a day causes some GI upset.

Grains seem to cause some inflammatory joint pains for me after a day or two. And I just feel run down after eating them. No problems with alcohol, though I'm not much of a drinker. Haven't tried non-gluten grains or legumes yet.

Good luck with finishing your Whole30, enjoy yourself!

Archived