Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SLHorowitz86

Starting July 17

Recommended Posts

Hello all:

I am also starting a W30 today!  Good luck to the rest of you starting today!  I'm not usually one to participate in forums, but I really want to be involved in this community so we can all help keep each other on track!

 

-Lindsey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lehaubs said:

Hello all:

I am also starting a W30 today!  Good luck to the rest of you starting today!  I'm not usually one to participate in forums, but I really want to be involved in this community so we can all help keep each other on track!

 

-Lindsey

Thanks for joining, the more the merrier!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pearlgirl2017 said:

Great aussiegal, you get to let us know what to expect ahead of time.  

I may have already screwed up this morning.  I had baby kale sauteed in (a tablespoon of) ghee scrambled eggs.  Was I supposed to add another fat like an avocado slice or something?  I don't want to over think this, but I do want to learn to do it correctly.

We generally tell people not to count the fat that items are cooked in, so yes, you would have been well advised to add fat.  The serving size for avocado as a fat is a half to a whole, not a slice... also make sure you've got the 2-3 cups (cooked volume) of veggies in there and eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... for most people that's 3-4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I might have missed something...

I see the Rules on the website and I am reading It Starts with Food, which backs up the Rules.

That said, I perhaps haven't read deeply enough, as I don't see meal ratios in the Rules.  That's more of a "don't eat" vs. eat thing.

So...I would usually ensure that I get protein, fruit/veg, and fat per meal, but is there a strict ration thereof? 

Perhaps I'm being more casual than I thought...at least I'm only one meal in if I'm doing it "wrong."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

We generally tell people not to count the fat that items are cooked in, so yes, you would have been well advised to add fat.  The serving size for avocado as a fat is a half to a whole, not a slice... also make sure you've got the 2-3 cups (cooked volume) of veggies in there and eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... for most people that's 3-4.

Thanks,  I have certainly under-eaten this morning.  Not being a regular breakfast eater the big handful of kale and 2 eggs was about all I could put up with.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Maireada said:

I think I might have missed something...

I see the Rules on the website and I am reading It Starts with Food, which backs up the Rules.

That said, I perhaps haven't read deeply enough, as I don't see meal ratios in the Rules.  That's more of a "don't eat" vs. eat thing.

So...I would usually ensure that I get protein, fruit/veg, and fat per meal, but is there a strict ration thereof? 

Perhaps I'm being more casual than I thought...at least I'm only one meal in if I'm doing it "wrong."

 

The meal template (linked in my signature below or google 'whole30 meal template') has the ratios of what to eat.

It's not a strict ration, it's a range that you choose from in order to get 4-5 hours between meals with no need to snack.  Check it out and let me know if you have any questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, pearlgirl2017 said:

Thanks,  I have certainly under-eaten this morning.  Not being a regular breakfast eater the big handful of kale and 2 eggs was about all I could put up with.  

That can happen for people who aren't breakfast eaters... its a sign your hormones are out of whack... keep eating a proper breakfast (not faux cereals and puddings... not saying you will, just adding it in for anyone that may read this) and try to increase your breakfast until you're matching the template and able to go 4-5 hours between meals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lehaubs said:

Hello all:

I am also starting a W30 today!  Good luck to the rest of you starting today!  I'm not usually one to participate in forums, but I really want to be involved in this community so we can all help keep each other on track!

 

-Lindsey

I also dont like to participate in forums... but maybe this will keep me accountable... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SugarcubeOD said:

We generally tell people not to count the fat that items are cooked in, so yes, you would have been well advised to add fat.  The serving size for avocado as a fat is a half to a whole, not a slice... also make sure you've got the 2-3 cups (cooked volume) of veggies in there and eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... for most people that's 3-4.

Does the salad dressing count as the added fat? I had 3 hard boiled eggs and a large salad for both breakfast and lunch with the whole30 Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing... i hope the dressing counts as my fats or I already screwed this up!!

Additionally, i just saw that per the portions that fruit should only be added occassionally.. but i had about a handful of berries for both breakfast and lunch with my salad... should i just start over fresh tomorrow!? i feel like i screwed this up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SLHorowitz86 said:

Does the salad dressing count as the added fat? I had 3 hard boiled eggs and a large salad for both breakfast and lunch with the whole30 Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing... i hope the dressing counts as my fats or I already screwed this up!!

Additionally, i just saw that per the portions that fruit should only be added occassionally.. but i had about a handful of berries for both breakfast and lunch with my salad... should i just start over fresh tomorrow!? i feel like i screwed this up.

No no, you didn't screw up, there's a definite learning curve... as long as you didn't eat anything off plan, you're still good.

Salad dressing would be fat, yes.

The fruit is a bit of a moving target, especially in summer when seasonal fruit is at its best.  Eat it WITH a meal, not on it's own... if it's keeping your sugar dragon/cravings alive, cut back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SLHorowitz86 said:

Happy Start Day!!! i was worried I wouldn't be able to start today because my weekend was CRAZYYYYYYYY. I spent all day Saturday and Sunday moving out of our house into a temporary living situation while we build our new house, and then had to unpack the stuff in the apartment!! On top of the move, I had to celebrate my husbands birthday with his family!  So last night we went to hibachi and didn't get home til after 8, then had to have cake - and everyone didn't leave until well after 9pm - so needless to say i did not get in my meal prep :( But! i was able to get up a bit earlier today and made a salad with hard boiled eggs for both breakfast and lunch with the Whole30 Balsamic Vinaigrette recipe. The dressing is very garlic-y... i REALLY wish i could chew some gum... ah well... hope nobody comes too close :) . In addition to those salads, i have some berries. Dinner tonight is going to be steak with veggies and cauliflower mash.

 

My husband and I are going to tackle meal prep for the rest of the week tonight! 

Best of luck to you all!!!

@SLHorowitz86 GREAT WORK getting the day going even with your crazy day yesterday. I did meal prep last night for a couple of days but already realize we didn't get enough food. 

I hope everyone is doing good today!

Dani

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SLHorowitz86 said:

First cooked dinner was DELICIOUS! 

IMG_3853.JPG

Wow that looks great!  With food like that, going 30 days is getting easier and easier :D  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jim4884 said:

Wow that looks great!  With food like that, going 30 days is getting easier and easier :D  

This looks amazing! Recipe?? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dani Chris said:

This looks amazing! Recipe?? :)

The recipes i pulled from the Whole30 book - it was the mashed cauliflower recipe on page 270 (excluding the coconut cream - cause i forgot to put my canned coconut in the fridge - so it was more like a porridge than a mash). and The rest was the recipe "Grilled steak with garlic-shallot puree and avocado" on page 216. If you don't have the book let me know and i will post a pic of the recipes. 

Breakfast today was the recipe on page 208 "Diner breakfast: eggs, sausage and home fries... it was pretty great - except I didn't LOVE the sausage. (but i made so many that now ill have to choke them down for the rest of the week.) 

 

How was everybody's first day!? I didn't find it difficult at all. But i typically eat this clean on weekdays.... (weekends are a whole different story). the only thing i was missing was the ability to chew gum. I did notice that because i am an accountant and my job is less than thrilling... and typically bores me to tears... i eat when i am bored. So i would find myself wishing i was eating something but knew i couldnt. 

This morning i drank my first black coffee in years. When i use to figure compete i would drink my coffee black but since stopping i have never been able to choke it down. But it is very simple to do when its an iced black coffee. 

 

Water gets boring... but i purchased a lot of La Croix... however, does anyone know if we can put fruit in our water to infuse it?

Feeling pretty good today - a little bloated this morning but all-in-all pretty damn good. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SLHorowitz86 said:

Water gets boring... but i purchased a lot of La Croix... however, does anyone know if we can put fruit in our water to infuse it?

Most definitely!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day one was okay.  Kept the menu simple using recipes I usually make anyway.  My hurdle at the moment is making sure I have enough fats.  I'm not afraid of fat and I never buy low-fat products, I just can't fall back on my normal stuff.  I am used to counting eggs a protein and a fat, not needing to add more fat to it.  My go to protein/fat snacks were a mini babybel or a spoonful of peanut butter.  

Going to go shopping after work for some oils and vinegars to make sauces and dressings with.  The Chimichurri looks interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SLHorowitz86 said:

The recipes i pulled from the Whole30 book - it was the mashed cauliflower recipe on page 270 (excluding the coconut cream - cause i forgot to put my canned coconut in the fridge - so it was more like a porridge than a mash). and The rest was the recipe "Grilled steak with garlic-shallot puree and avocado" on page 216. If you don't have the book let me know and i will post a pic of the recipes. 

Breakfast today was the recipe on page 208 "Diner breakfast: eggs, sausage and home fries... it was pretty great - except I didn't LOVE the sausage. (but i made so many that now ill have to choke them down for the rest of the week.) 

 

How was everybody's first day!? I didn't find it difficult at all. But i typically eat this clean on weekdays.... (weekends are a whole different story). the only thing i was missing was the ability to chew gum. I did notice that because i am an accountant and my job is less than thrilling... and typically bores me to tears... i eat when i am bored. So i would find myself wishing i was eating something but knew i couldnt. 

This morning i drank my first black coffee in years. When i use to figure compete i would drink my coffee black but since stopping i have never been able to choke it down. But it is very simple to do when its an iced black coffee. 

 

Water gets boring... but i purchased a lot of La Croix... however, does anyone know if we can put fruit in our water to infuse it?

Feeling pretty good today - a little bloated this morning but all-in-all pretty damn good. 

 

Excellent! Thank you!

My first couple of days have been a little more challenging. I feel like I've gone through the first two weeks of "What to Expect on Your Whole 30" in the past 36 hours. My body is already reacting to the lack of starches (or I just think it's reacting because I'm very aware of what I'm not eating). I feel sort of bored with and uninterested in food. And I'm craving cupcakes which I don't even like.

Maybe this means I'm on a fast track and my Tiger Blood is right around the corner? :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dani Chris said:

Excellent! Thank you!

My first couple of days have been a little more challenging. I feel like I've gone through the first two weeks of "What to Expect on Your Whole 30" in the past 36 hours. My body is already reacting to the lack of starches (or I just think it's reacting because I'm very aware of what I'm not eating). I feel sort of bored with and uninterested in food. And I'm craving cupcakes which I don't even like.

Maybe this means I'm on a fast track and my Tiger Blood is right around the corner? :D

Do you mean reacting to the lack of simple carbs (sugar, wheat) or actual starches (potato, root veggie)?  If it's the latter, the recommendation is to eat a fist sized serving of starchy carb at least one meal a day, more if you're very active, a woman at or nearing her period or a person with a tendancy toward low mood... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Do you mean reacting to the lack of simple carbs (sugar, wheat) or actual starches (potato, root veggie)?  If it's the latter, the recommendation is to eat a fist sized serving of starchy carb at least one meal a day, more if you're very active, a woman at or nearing her period or a person with a tendancy toward low mood... 

SugarcubeOD: I mean more lack of simple starches although I think I need to be adding more starchy vegetables too. I don't typicially eat a lot of sugar/sweets but pre-whole 30 I would have complex carbs (granola, oatmeal, whole wheat bread) at each meal. I am really active so that may be a factor. The information above is really helpful--thank you! From reading other posts on this thread I also think I need to be better about adding a fat. I had been counting the fat food was cooked in.

Its so helpful to have input from more experienced peeps :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aloha All!

Hope it's okay to jump in late in the game. You all seem to be doing really well!

I started on July 17th, too...it's my third Whole 30. I had great results with my first two rounds (went Whole66 with R1; Whole33 with R2), but jumped back on the Sugar Dragon Band Wagon after each. I've read Food Freedom (hence my username) and learned a bunch of valuable lessons with each round of Whole30...the most telling, and the one I'm striving with this round: I do way better as an Abstainer (one who does well with strict, all-encompassing restrictions); I'm just not a disciplined Moderator (one who can manage to eat moderately healthy and stick to it). This time around, my goal is to slow-roll reintroduce, only do so when it's worth it, and try to live as close to Whole30 otherwise.

My Day 1:

B: Southwest Omelette (3 eggs, two fistfuls wild arugula, 3 tbsp. compliant salsa, 1/2 avocado)

L: Cauliflower Tabbouleh and Chicken Curry Salad (w/ compliant mayo)

D: Mediterranean Baked Chicken Leg with Kale and Swiss Chard and Butternut Squash

My Day 2:

B: Southwest Omelette (it's my go-to brekkie)

L: Lettuce wrapped Grilled Chicken-Bacon-Avocado-Tomato Wrap w/ sweet plantains

D: Cherry Chipotle Chicken thighs (from Whole30 Cookbook), with Brussels Sprout Slaw (also from Whole30 Cookbook) and Sweet Potato "Crisps" (sweet potato slices, mashed to 1/4 inch; sauteed in Himalayan Salt Ghee)

Best of Luck on Day 3!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also started 7/17/17 -- clearly an auspicious date! I'm fine eating eggs for breakfast, but veggies? Not so much. 2-3 cups of vegetables seems like way too much. Also, I've done Atkins low carb in the past, so some of the suggested vegetables just seem wrong to me.

l'm enjoying your posts, cohort!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ladymath said:

I also started 7/17/17 -- clearly an auspicious date! I'm fine eating eggs for breakfast, but veggies? Not so much. 2-3 cups of vegetables seems like way too much. Also, I've done Atkins low carb in the past, so some of the suggested vegetables just seem wrong to me.

l'm enjoying your posts, cohort!

Hey there ladymath - Whole30 is not a low carb diet.  The recommendation is to eat at least a fist size of starchy carbs a day, more if you're very active, a woman on or nearing her period or a person with a tendancy toward low mood.  Erase what you know about Atkins and embrace this program because they're not the same and the success is in the template and following the program by the book :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ladymath said:

I also started 7/17/17 -- clearly an auspicious date! I'm fine eating eggs for breakfast, but veggies? Not so much. 2-3 cups of vegetables seems like way too much. Also, I've done Atkins low carb in the past, so some of the suggested vegetables just seem wrong to me.

l'm enjoying your posts, cohort!

Atkins was an unsustainable weight-loss diet that was pretty extreme in what you couldn't have.  I also am having the ghosts of diets past rearing their heads and saying what I should and shouldn't do.

Try sauteing some veggies and making your eggs into an omelet or frittata, add some salsa, have some roasted potatoes...

I agree that 2-3 cups seems like a lot at one sitting, but eventually I should be able to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites