Starting July 17

SLHorowitz86

13 minutes ago, Dani Chris said:

Sorry...I was literally posting pics as you posted this :huh:  I am feeling similarly, it was hard to get down breakfast this morning...

I don't want anyone to stop posting their pics.  They will all look yummy again when I get hungry.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been looking back over the timeline and so far I haven't had anything to severe.  The heat (heat index of 103 degrees) for the last couple of days has given me a headache.  Yesterday - day 4 - I could not remember any of my passwords to save my life.  I was trying to put the cleaned dinner dishes in the pantry, and I would open a cupboard and not remember what I needed from there.  It's day 5 and I don't feel like killing anything (yet).  Whether it's the heat or I'm ahead a bit on the timeline, by 9:30 pm I'm ready to go to bed.  I wake up in the morning neither groggy nor full of energy.  

I'm a teacher on summer vacation, which makes getting started on Whole30 so much easier. But today I woke up with a big headache and feeling exhausted. Then at breakfast, my cat brought in a dead bird and proceeded to devour it. Ugh! After cleaning up, I went back to bed. I'm going to eat simpler foods today!

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, ladymath said:

I'm a teacher on summer vacation, which makes getting started on Whole30 so much easier. But today I woke up with a big headache and feeling exhausted. Then at breakfast, my cat brought in a dead bird and proceeded to devour it. Ugh! After cleaning up, I went back to bed. I'm going to eat simpler foods today!

Oh no!  I once was so sick I could hardly move or breathe and my lovely kitty brought in two birds through the bedroom window and proceeded to eat them at the foot of the bed.. there is NOTHING like the sound of a cat eating through bones ... glad you were kind to yourself and went back to bed!

Has anyone made the Sweet Potato Soup?  The recipe calls for two large sweet potatoes, I need to know about how much that is.  I found a bag of frozen, diced sweet potatoes at my local health food store.  One bag has about 4 cups potatoes.  

And, am I right that when it calls for full-fat coconut milk in anything, that means the canned?

29 minutes ago, ladymath said:

You know, she probably wanted to share...and that would have been totally on plan...;D.

3 hours ago, pearlgirl2017 said:

Has anyone made the Sweet Potato Soup?  The recipe calls for two large sweet potatoes, I need to know about how much that is.  I found a bag of frozen, diced sweet potatoes at my local health food store.  One bag has about 4 cups potatoes.  

And, am I right that when it calls for full-fat coconut milk in anything, that means the canned?

@pearlgirl2017 :When I peel and cut up a medium sized sweet potato it equates to about a cup of sweet potato...so may be two large is three cups, give or take? And, yes, I use the canned, UNSWEETENED (make sure to read the label; I've made this mistake before and kicked myself) coconut milk. Out here in CA, they also sell cartons of unsweetened coconut milk, so when I've got a bunch of recipes calling for it, I buy that. 

33 minutes ago, SLHorowitz86 said:

Dinner was pretty dang delicious and so super easy. The "mocktail" was simply passion fruit LaCroix with a squeeze of fresh lemon and lime juice. Delicious.  (Probably would be amazing with some tequila...25 for days) 

IMG_3861.JPG

I'm not gonna lie ya'll: ima be missing my wine tonight :mellow:

13 hours ago, Dani Chris said:

Lunch: leftovers from the FABULOUS dinner my hubby made last night (see pics below--whole roasted chicken w/ vegetables and potatoes cooked in a cocotte. This is something he's been doing for a while and it just so happens to be 100% compliant!! :)

@Dani Chris  Love the look of the chicken dish - care to share the recipe?? 

And...um...I looked at all the pics and thought I wish I could do that!  Ha! :D

Struggled a bit last night with friends visiting after work and staying so it was red wine and pizza all round.  I didn't say anything but really really REALLY wanted the wine.  Got thru with compliant salad, (extra boiled eggs in mine), nil pizza and  NO WINE :( just sparkly water.  Not happy at the time but today (Saturday) I feel like a saint!! Ha ha. 

Onwards..... and I might have to find the attitude shop and buy a new one... i don't want to keep feeling I'm missing out!  ;) 

6 hours ago, SLHorowitz86 said:

IMG_3861.JPG

Wow! That looks tasty...and pretty darn festive. Even mynon-W30 hubby said it looks delicious. 

Day 5 has been a whirlwind, W30 friends. I confess to nearly skipping breakfast b cause we were so much on the go. Didn't skip, FYI...used my handy-dandy leftovers to make Kitchen Sink eggs for breakfast and ate my leftover Chicken Hash for lunch, and stayed on track. Planning in the use of leftovers is a "secret-not-so-secret" trick that helps me stay the W30 course.  

Day 5:

B: Kitchen Sink Eggs (W30, 202; pictured with broccoli and avocado)

L: LO Melissa's Chicken Hash

D: Spicy Apricot Stuffed Pork Chops with Arugula Pesto (W30 Cookbook, 113), and Sautéed Kale with Almonds (W30, 298; both pictured)

Tomorrow is going to be another tough one: I'll be out all day with the family at a festival. Finding compliant food will be a challenge, so I'm packing a couple Rx Bars, Roasted Seaweed, homemade trail mix, and some prosciutto (kept cool with the baby's milk) just in case I can't find any. It'll be another day of leftovers, too, since I don't know when we'll get back or if I'll have time to cook a compliant dinner. 

Day 6 (tomorrow):

B: Kitchen Sink Eggs with smoked salmon, arugula, and capers; and  half avovado

L: TBD with prosciutto and Rx Bars as a back-up

D: LO Stuffed Pork chops with LO Brussels Sprout Slaw

How're you guys planning on getting through your weekend social engagements?

IMG_3724.JPG

IMG_3705.JPG

9 hours ago, aussiegal said:

@Dani Chris  Love the look of the chicken dish - care to share the recipe?? 

And...um...I looked at all the pics and thought I wish I could do that!  Ha! :D

Struggled a bit last night with friends visiting after work and staying so it was red wine and pizza all round.  I didn't say anything but really really REALLY wanted the wine.  Got thru with compliant salad, (extra boiled eggs in mine), nil pizza and  NO WINE :( just sparkly water.  Not happy at the time but today (Saturday) I feel like a saint!! Ha ha. 

Onwards..... and I might have to find the attitude shop and buy a new one... i don't want to keep feeling I'm missing out!  ;) 

@aussiegalhappily s although we don't exactly hand one: you need a Dutch oven, medium to small whole chicken, spices of your choosing (we like salt, pepper, turmeric, curry, cumin, chili powder or cayenne), small red or fingerling potatoes, whole cloves of garlic, and veggies of you choosing: carrots, celery, leeks, onion, Brussels sprouts all tend to work well. Sometimes I like adding lemon too. 

1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Rub spices on chicken, stuff some garlic under skin, stuff some veggies inside the chicken. 

2. Put some veggies and potatoes in Dutch oven/cocotte. Place chicken on top BREAST SIDE DOWN (this allows the juice to drip making the breast super juicy.  Put rest of veggies around chicken-the pot should be pretty full. 

3. Bake for 90 minutes. After pulling it out take off lid let chicken sit for 10 minutes before cutting and serving along with scoops of veggies and potatoes. Make sure you get a lot of juice!

This recipe is so easy and so good: the veggies cook in the chicken juice/fat. It is very easy to put all leftovers back in the pot, including the carcass, add some water, and make chicken soup. Enjoy :)

7 hours ago, FoodFreedomFighter said:

Wow! That looks tasty...and pretty darn festive. Even mynon-W30 hubby said it looks delicious. 

Day 5 has been a whirlwind, W30 friends. I confess to nearly skipping breakfast b cause we were so much on the go. Didn't skip, FYI...used my handy-dandy leftovers to make Kitchen Sink eggs for breakfast and ate my leftover Chicken Hash for lunch, and stayed on track. Planning in the use of leftovers is a "secret-not-so-secret" trick that helps me stay the W30 course.  

Day 5:

B: Kitchen Sink Eggs (W30, 202; pictured with broccoli and avocado)

L: LO Melissa's Chicken Hash

D: Spicy Apricot Stuffed Pork Chops with Arugula Pesto (W30 Cookbook, 113), and Sautéed Kale with Almonds (W30, 298; both pictured)

Tomorrow is going to be another tough one: I'll be out all day with the family at a festival. Finding compliant food will be a challenge, so I'm packing a couple Rx Bars, Roasted Seaweed, homemade trail mix, and some prosciutto (kept cool with the baby's milk) just in case I can't find any. It'll be another day of leftovers, too, since I don't know when we'll get back or if I'll have time to cook a compliant dinner. 

Day 6 (tomorrow):

B: Kitchen Sink Eggs with smoked salmon, arugula, and capers; and  half avovado

L: TBD with prosciutto and Rx Bars as a back-up

D: LO Stuffed Pork chops with LO Brussels Sprout Slaw

How're you guys planning on getting through your weekend social engagements?

IMG_3724.JPG

IMG_3705.JPG

This looks amazing! Great work staying on track yesterday @FoodFreedomFighter!

I had a really good day yesterday: good energy, best day GI wise I've had in a long time. However this morning I woke up really craving my usual breakfast options: yogurt and granola or oatmeal. I just Don't. Want. Any. Eggs. They said this would happen--anyone else experience this? Any suggestions?

I hope everyone's weekend is off to a great start!

Dani

Also @aussiegal I feel you on the pizza and wine! That would have been so hard! My husband was participating in our usual Friday night ritual last night and it was very tempting not to join him. I kept busy making out crispy baked chicken thighs and broccoli and that helped :)

1 minute ago, Dani Chris said:

I had a really good day yesterday: good energy, best day GI wise I've had in a long time. However this morning I woke up really craving my usual breakfast options: yogurt and granola or oatmeal. I just Don't. Want. Any. Eggs. They said this would happen--anyone else experience this? Any suggestions?

I hope everyone's weekend is off to a great start!

Dani

Yep, my first time around I was hating on eggs by Day 7. So I started with Melissa's Chicken Hash (her, and my, favorite not-egg brekkie), then experimented with other proteins in the same sweet potato base: my other fave was Pork (chopped or ground) with peaches. Chicken apple sausage (Aidell's has a compliant one) with avocado was another yummy option. 

I also experimented with different kinds of eggs; up to that point I'd been making only scrambled or boiled eggs. But poached eggs were better. Or making Nom Nom Paleo's Cauliflower "Fried Rice", in which the egg is more flavoree of the rice, or the Loco Moro from the same book, was great. And adding bacon (Whole Foods in the Bay Area sells compliant ones) to anything makes it so much more appealing. Please note: the Loco Moco is labor intensive and requires a LOT of pre-planning.  

Hope that helps!

9 minutes ago, FoodFreedomFighter said:

Yep, my first time around I was hating on eggs by Day 7. So I started with Melissa's Chicken Hash (her, and my, favorite not-egg brekkie), then experimented with other proteins in the same sweet potato base: my other fave was Pork (chopped or ground) with peaches. Chicken apple sausage (Aidell's has a compliant one) with avocado was another yummy option. 

I also experimented with different kinds of eggs; up to that point I'd been making only scrambled or boiled eggs. But poached eggs were better. Or making Nom Nom Paleo's Cauliflower "Fried Rice", in which the egg is more flavoree of the rice, or the Loco Moro from the same book, was great. And adding bacon (Whole Foods in the Bay Area sells compliant ones) to anything makes it so much more appealing. Please note: the Loco Moco is labor intensive and requires a LOT of pre-planning.  

Hope that helps!

@FoodFreedomFighter thank you :) I need to get more creative. 

9 hours ago, Dani Chris said:

@aussiegalhappily s although we don't exactly hand one: you need a Dutch oven, medium to small whole chicken, spices of your choosing (we like salt, pepper, turmeric, curry, cumin, chili powder or cayenne), small red or fingerling potatoes, whole cloves of garlic, and veggies of you choosing: carrots, celery, leeks, onion, Brussels sprouts all tend to work well. Sometimes I like adding lemon too. 

1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Rub spices on chicken, stuff some garlic under skin, stuff some veggies inside the chicken. 

2. Put some veggies and potatoes in Dutch oven/cocotte. Place chicken on top BREAST SIDE DOWN (this allows the juice to drip making the breast super juicy.  Put rest of veggies around chicken-the pot should be pretty full. 

3. Bake for 90 minutes. After pulling it out take off lid let chicken sit for 10 minutes before cutting and serving along with scoops of veggies and potatoes. Make sure you get a lot of juice!

This recipe is so easy and so good: the veggies cook in the chicken juice/fat. It is very easy to put all leftovers back in the pot, including the carcass, add some water, and make chicken soup. Enjoy :)

CORRECTIONS: (my hubby just informed and he is the one who makes it so he would know) 375 F for 20 min per pound of bird (we used a 4.5 lb chicken and baked for 90 min). Also run garlic or oil on the outside of the chicken so the spices stick. 

I hope everyone is having a great Saturday (or Sunday depending on where in the world you are :)

Dani

9 hours ago, pearlgirl2017 said:

I think I'm going to make up some salmon or tuna patties for a few breakfasts and lunches next week.  Patties one day, eggs another.  They should freeze well.  

That's a good plan, @pearlgirl2017! I may copy you when I get tired of eggs...so far, my aversion hasn't reared it's ugly head, yet.

Success, W30 Friends! I got through Rivertown Revival festival without going off plan! I found a food vendor who used sugar-free bacon and would make me a unembellished burger patty (most were marinated in a sauce that included sugar, but they were running out and making "plain-salt-and-pepper" ones) and wrap it in lettuce; then I found another vendor who was willing to sell me a half-avocado (they were using them to make fresh guac on the fly)...I was a happy camper. When I got a bit hungry a few hours later (possibly from a lack of enough veggies), I broke into an Rx Bar. That, and keeping hydrated kept me going. Yay! Also, changed up dinner plans (will move them to tomorrow's lunch) because we stopped at a favorite restaurant on the way home from the festival.

Day 6:

B: Kitchen Sink Eggs

L: Bacon-Avocado-Lettuce-wrapped burger

S: Rx Bar

D: Nectarine Arugula Salad with Roasted Chicken; sub the shaved manchego cheese for avocado (MH Bread and Butter)

My latest kitchen sink combo might make it into my regular breakfast repetoire, it was so good: smoked salmon, 2 handfuls wild/baby arugula, capers all scrambled in three eggs. Tomorrow, I'm going to make the same but add the W30 Hollandaise Sauce for some added fat. Yum! Tomorrow's another social challenge...we're getting together with some friends for a bbq. I'm coming armed with a W30 compliant salad & dressing & watermelon for the group, steaks for me and a gluten-sensitive friend, and ingredients for a mocktail (in case I get tempted by the beer and wine). I'm also bringing my Hot Cinnamon Spice tea bags for when the desserts break out.

Day 7:

B: Kitchen Sink Eggs w/ W30 Hollandaise Sauce (W30, 314)

L: LO Spicy Apricot Stuffed Pork Chops w/ LO Brussels Sprouts Slaw

D: Warm Spinach salad w/ apple-cider braised Pancetta and slivered almonds; Steaks and Watermelon

Have a great rest of the weekend, W30 Friends!

its a VERY rainy Monday here in New York.. its making getting through the morning very difficult. I'm tired. Day 6 was probably the worst I've felt thus far. Exhaustion to the MAX. my husband is a day behind, and he had hit that wall yesterday. BUT! we pulled through this weekend... we even went to a couple parties over the weekend and got through without eating or drinking anything off the plan! It made me realize i don't HAVE to drink to have a good time. 

And last night we cooked dinner and hosted for my mother-in-law and her boyfriend. we did the walnut crusted pork loin from the Whole30 book, roasted veggies, and mashed potatoes.... everything was DELICIOUS. i'm not much of a pork eater, but this pork loin was really really good. (even our non-whole30 guests thought it was fantastic) and it was super easy to make. 

Alright, gotta get to work.. happy Monday everyone, and Happy day 8... only 8 more days til we all hopefully experience that TIGER BLOOD :) 

The weekend was pretty rough, couldn't keep to any kind of a schedule.  While I didn't eat anything that was non-compliant, I couldn't seem to get everything into 3 complete meals at the same time.

Got some prep work done last night but not as much as I need to.  What a start to the week. 

4 hours ago, SLHorowitz86 said:

its a VERY rainy Monday here in New York.. its making getting through the morning very difficult. I'm tired. Day 6 was probably the worst I've felt thus far. Exhaustion to the MAX. my husband is a day behind, and he had hit that wall yesterday. BUT! we pulled through this weekend... we even went to a couple parties over the weekend and got through without eating or drinking anything off the plan! It made me realize i don't HAVE to drink to have a good time. 

And last night we cooked dinner and hosted for my mother-in-law and her boyfriend. we did the walnut crusted pork loin from the Whole30 book, roasted veggies, and mashed potatoes.... everything was DELICIOUS. i'm not much of a pork eater, but this pork loin was really really good. (even our non-whole30 guests thought it was fantastic) and it was super easy to make. 

Alright, gotta get to work.. happy Monday everyone, and Happy day 8... only 8 more days til we all hopefully experience that TIGER BLOOD :) 

I love pork.  I'd rather have pork than beef.  Tomorrow I intend to try the slow cooker pork carnitas.  I may try the walnut loin on my next grocery run.

The grocery store was a little harder for me Saturday.  All the stuff I normally get had to be scrutinized with a magnifying glass.  And so much stuff called out "buy me, buy me".  I'm like, can't I take this bag of chocolate home?  I promise I won't eat it until after the reset is over pleeeaaase!!!

6 hours ago, SLHorowitz86 said:

Yup @SLHorowitz86  I think I hit that wall with you!  I'm about to start day 9 (Tuesday).  But yesterday I just fell in a heap by the afternoon and this morning I feel like I could just crawl back into bed. I just feel exhausted! So....I'll just hang in and wait for the magic to happen....

waiting....

waiting....

Anywho have a great day wherever you are.  And I'll just stick with it and keep on swimmin.

Hi all,

I am doing ok on energy, though my husband is feeling similar to many of you. One of my biggest challenges is getting all my nutrition for the day into 3 meals. Im not sure I can do it. I understand the benefit of eating regular meals, not snacking excessively in between meals and allowing for you body's hunger and fullness signals, but does anyone if there are other reasons for this recommendation? 

Thanks,

Dani

Archived