Starting July 17

SLHorowitz86

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Dani Chris said:

Yes SugarcubeOD that is SO HELPFUL! I will try listing out meals and snacks and practicing going without them or at least limiting them to breaks of 6+ hours between meals. I think part of the problem is I get full really easily so I have a a hard time eating to sustain me for a long period of time. Here's what I've had so far today:

6-7am Tabata Bootcamp 

7:15a Post workout snack: banana w/ sunflower butter Post workout is recommended to be lean protein and starchy carbs... no fat, no fruit.

9:00a breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled w/ 1 cup spinach cooked in coconut oil with 2 compliant chicken sausages Try for more veggies... maybe 2 eggs, one sausage, more veg... 

1:00p lunch: chicken breast with fistful roasted potatoes/sweet potato mix, 2 cups spinach, 1 nectarine Fat??

PM snack: I was planning to have a Lara bar and/or hard boiled egg depending on hunger Go for the hardboiled egg... larabars won't be doing you any favors and they're really only approved for emergencies...

Dinner: salmon, roasted Brussels sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower, half an avocado, another fistful of potatoes (I'm hoping it's ok I'm eating more starches-I feel sluggish without them and I am pretty active)  this looks very good!

I would welcome feedback! 

Dani

Okeedokee.  I've put my feedback to your meals in red above in your post.  Go for 4-5 hours between meals... Not sure why I said six... brain fart!

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Dani Chris said:

Yes SugarcubeOD that is SO HELPFUL! I will try listing out meals and snacks and practicing going without them or at least limiting them to breaks of 6+ hours between meals. I think part of the problem is I get full really easily so I have a a hard time eating to sustain me for a long period of time. Here's what I've had so far today:

6-7am Tabata Bootcamp 

7:15a Post workout snack: banana w/ sunflower butter

9:00a breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled w/ 1 cup spinach cooked in coconut oil with 2 compliant chicken sausages

1:00p lunch: chicken breast with fistful roasted potatoes/sweet potato mix, 2 cups spinach, 1 nectarine 

PM snack: I was planning to have a Lara bar and/or hard boiled egg depending on hunger 

Dinner: salmon, roasted Brussels sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower, half an avocado, another fistful of potatoes (I'm hoping it's ok I'm eating more starches-I feel sluggish without them and I am pretty active)  

I would welcome feedback! 

Dani

Dani, I'm no expert (only on my third round) but your protein intake looks good, as do most of your portions. At lunch, you might try a couple of things: 

1) Adding more fat; doesn't seem like enough to keep you going.

2) Eating lunch later, if your schedule allows. 7+ hours between lunch and dinner is tough. 

As for snacks, one of the books mentioned a trick for craving vs. hunger that I actually used as my "base snack" (you already mentioned that your snacks are based on hunger, not craving; so this is more a tip for snack suggestions): a can of tuna or sautéed broccoli with slivered almonds. I kept both around during my first Whole66, and found that, when I was hungry, the protein kick or the fat/veggie combo really satiated my hunger. Some other snack suggestions (mix of two of the following three: protein, fat, fruit/veggie): prosciutto slices with rosemary spiced almonds (recipe from Nom Nom Paleo); homemade trail mix (including shaved coconut, unsulfered cranberries and currants and apples, sea salt roasted cashews and almonds and pumpkin seeds); roasted seaweed and can of tuna; 1/4-1/2 avocado with salsa and plantain "chips"; and the broccoli sautéed with slivered almonds (hot or cold). 

Hope that helps!

Got pork chops and sauerkraut in the crockpot for dinner tonight.  Will make a small lettuce/tomato/cucumber salad with balsamic vinaigrette and steamed summer squash.  Looks like I forgot the starchy veggie...haven't had any of those today.  Should have added carrots or potatoes to the crockpot. If I have time I'll roast a few potatoes, making sure to have enough left for tomorrow.

36 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Okeedokee.  I've put my feedback to your meals in red above in your post.  Go for 4-5 hours between meals... Not sure why I said six... brain fart!

Thank you Sugarcube! I think the 6 hours was when you suggested a snack might be indicated. And yes, I was missing a fat with lunch :/ going to stock up on more avocados this weekend :) your feedback is super helpful. 

Hi all,

glad we are getting such a great group.  I'm reading the food and tips with interest! 

Start of day 4 for me.

M1 Spaghetti sauce but my zoodles (zucchini noodles)  had died in the back of the fridge so I substituted with coleslaw mix (green/red cabbage and shredded carrot from a supermarket premix).  Heated my sauce over my "cabbage noodles" and it actually was ok! :)  Gordon Ramsay I am not but it worked for a quick meal!  Oh and half an avo.

M2 Chicken and 2 cups of veg spiced up with onion  powder, garlic powder and chili flakes and half and avo

M3  Fish cakes (made with 1 x 440g tin of salmon, 1 x cup of sweet potato, 3 x sliced shallots and fried in ghee)  Plus same veg as M2.  If I feel like it may have half cup of berries.

Am feeling a bit tired and am coming off the back of a flu but am holding out.  Am starting to feel very settled and stable deep inside if  that makes sense.  Less mood swings and ups and downs.  Nice. 

8 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

I had a slight change of plans: instead my planned dinner I ended up having Tuna Salad Nicoise--this is actually from a restaurant and is totally compliant! Probably 3-4 cups veggies (romaine lettuce, carrots, cabbage), seared Ahi, olives, hard boiled egg, green beans, potatoes. I tossed the dressing and bread roll, put on my own compliant TJ's balsamic vinaigrette dressing (I added a fair amount, hoping  can count that as my fat). Very satisfying and tasty. I got one for my husband too.

niciose salad.jpg

7 hours ago, aussiegal said:

Hi all,

glad we are getting such a great group.  I'm reading the food and tips with interest! 

Start of day 4 for me.

M1 Spaghetti sauce but my zoodles (zucchini noodles)  had died in the back of the fridge so I substituted with coleslaw mix (green/red cabbage and shredded carrot from a supermarket premix).  Heated my sauce over my "cabbage noodles" and it actually was ok! :)  Gordon Ramsay I am not but it worked for a quick meal!  Oh and half an avo.

M2 Chicken and 2 cups of veg spiced up with onion  powder, garlic powder and chili flakes and half and avo

M3  Fish cakes (made with 1 x 440g tin of salmon, 1 x cup of sweet potato, 3 x sliced shallots and fried in ghee)  Plus same veg as M2.  If I feel like it may have half cup of berries.

Am feeling a bit tired and am coming off the back of a flu but am holding out.  Am starting to feel very settled and stable deep inside if  that makes sense.  Less mood swings and ups and downs.  Nice. 

Great improvisation, @aussiegal! Hope you feel better soon, and I'm SO envious of your deep calm.

@SLHorowitz86: YUM!!

@Dani Chris, I LOVE finding compliant restaurant foods! They're such a lifesaver! Hot tip: if you've got a Puerto Rican restaurant nearby, check the compliance of their rotisserie dishes, their plantains, and their salad dressings and condiments. The one near me has a ton of compliant dishes; LOVE it.

Day 3 is in the books, folks!

B: Southwest Omelette

L: Leftover (LO) Cherry-Chipotle Chicken Thighs (W30 Cookbook, 128) with Shredded Sprout Slaw (W30 Cookbook, 235) and Sweet Potato "Crisps"

D: Melissa's Chicken Hash (W30, 228; pictured)

Is anyone else experiencing the "Kill All the Things" symptom yet? 'Cause I think mine just started today. I felt boiling rage just under the surface of my skin for little things, like not getting out of the house in time to make Stroller Strides (I already had a back-up plan in place (because Toddlers+Shoes+Carseat=Never getting anywhere on time), so I did not need to go ballistic. And it didn't just happen once...throughout the morning until late afternoon I was on edge. Pray for my two boys and husband, please. (Temporary?) Clarity came in the late afternoon as I had a bit of alone time (well, as much as driving around a sleeping toddler while my older son went to swim class counts as "alone time") to concentrate on today's blessings and remember that this stage is temporary. Last round, this stage lasted a good 2 1/2 days, but came on Day 4...hoping the accelerated arrival means it will be over faster.

Tomorrow's plan: Get extra help to save my boys from my wrath, and to save my sanity (Gotta love those "home from college" back-up babysitters!!) and use up any compliant leftovers cluttering up my fridge. This calls for Kitchen Sink Eggs (W30, 202) and Protein Salad (W30, 161; I like to flavor my Basic Mayo (W30, 179) with Spice Blends from Diane Sanfilippo's Practical Paleo (232)...Indian Spice and Greek Spice are my go-to favorites for this).

How's everyone else doing?

IMG_3704.jpg

3 hours ago, Dani Chris said:

I had a slight change of plans: instead my planned dinner I ended up having Tuna Salad Nicoise--this is actually from a restaurant and is totally compliant! Probably 3-4 cups veggies (romaine lettuce, carrots, cabbage), seared Ahi, olives, hard boiled egg, green beans, potatoes. I tossed the dressing and bread roll, put on my own compliant TJ's balsamic vinaigrette dressing (I added a fair amount, hoping  can count that as my fat). Very satisfying and tasty. I got one for my husband too.

niciose salad.jpg

@Dani Chris, where is this place, please? If you're in the city, I'm just across the bridge from you in the North Bay and make it to the city at least once a week...I could use a Tuna Nicoise Salad every once in a while...

As I was making dinner last night (my boys wanted the egg muffins w/bacon and chives for dinner) I happened to glance over at the package of bacon looked at the label and saw there was an ingredient list...I'm sort of bummed because I saw SUGAR listed as an ingredient. :( I specifically bought what I thought would be the most natural package and never thought they would slip sugar into BACON! Since it was like the 5th ingredient I'm not too worried but lesson learned...I must also read ingredients for cured meats. The packaging was the meat Styrofoam and saran wrap kind...don't be fooled by it like I was. It was the 'Sprouts' brand.

7 hours ago, FoodFreedomFighter said:

@Dani Chris, where is this place, please? If you're in the city, I'm just across the bridge from you in the North Bay and make it to the city at least once a week...I could use a Tuna Nicoise Salad every once in a while...

@FoodFreedomFighteram in the city actually got this at a place in Palo Alto but it's a chain: Crepevine which may be in the north bay as well? 

So far I'm feeling way better today than the past three days! Plenty of energy. I took the advice of eating one more egg at breakfast with a sweet potato/apple hash and fruit with lunch instead of a snack- it's helping, so thanks! I'm about to go grocery shopping for the next week and am loving some of the ideas on here! Can't wait to try some of them. 

46 minutes ago, pearlgirl2017 said:

Where is everybody today?  Not much being posted.  My stomach doesn't understand why I keep forcing it to eat so much.  Three regular meals instead of several smaller ones is a big change for me.

i know what you mean @pearlgirl2017 I'm finding it hard to eat three template meals atm.  M1 is the hardest but at dinnertime I'm feeling  meh about yet more veg!  And it's only day 5 for me!  Maybe I need to add bacon to everything - we all know things are better with bacon!   Just kidding but not kidding. 

@FoodFreedomFighter I have been meaning to try Melissa's hash and have seen quite a few comments that it's delish - your version looks spectacular!  Might put that one on the menu for this week I think.  Plus I'll send you some prayers and good vibes for the kill all things moments. I'm waiting for mine to arrive. 

I made up Nom Nom Paleo's slow cooker pulled pork. I'm sitting here at 6 am on a winter morning and have just turned off the crock pot.  It smells yummy so I may yet have pulled pork and veg for breakfast! Some days I just feel like Alice in Wonderland with all this.  :rolleyes:

I'm trying to keep at least 3 containers of pre cooked/par cooked  veg in the fridge so I can just add a protein and there's limited fussing.  One container is  fresh steamed zucchini added to a steamed frozen thai mix  with onion powder, garlic powder and a little chilli and tossed in ghee.    My other container has broccoli, cauli, brussel sprouts and onions cooked and tossed in ghee and s&p.  My third container has roasted sweet potato.  This is getting low so I'll have to do up a big batch of roast veg soon.  

It's friday morning here and most of you guys on the other side of the world will be asleep.  But when you wake up have a good friday!  :D

10 hours ago, SLHorowitz86 said:

Food Freedom Fighter... what is this dish!!! It looks AMAZING!!! is this a whole30 recipe from the book? If not, can you provide the recipe!

'Tis Melissa's Chicken Hash (W30, 228) and it IS onolicious @SLHorowitz86 and @aussiegal! It's my fave non-egg brekkie. 

6 hours ago, Dani Chris said:

@FoodFreedomFighteram in the city actually got this at a place in Palo Alto but it's a chain: Crepevine which may be in the north bay as well? 

Thanks, @Dani Chris; found one in San Rafael, right near a good friend's house. Now I know where to go and what to get when we hangout up there.

@aussiegal: So smart to keep veg right on hand. I do the other side of the coin and have protein always at the ready, then pick up veg on the day of to fill my plate. 

So far, today has been better with "Kill All the Things"...less "Raging B!@%#" and more "Raging Hunger" between meals. There's the faint possibility my period is approaching, so I'm going to up my starchy veg starting with tonight's dinner. Will post today's menu at the end of the day...keeps me accountable for not snacking at night, if I make myself report here before going to bed. 

hey ya'll.... well i just finished dinner which means day 4 is complete and in the books. food is really tasty and im not hungry at all. workouts are struggling but I otherwise feel okay.... I am a RAGING B*@TCH today though... "kill all the things" hit me last night... along with PMS  (sorry if there are any dudes in this chat)...my poor husband is a saint for not losing it on me after my last outburst. Whoopsie! 

I also feel like my head is up my ass... literally feel dumb and confused. looking forward to these feelings to pass. 

Hope you are all doing well and kicking day 4's ass!! i am really enjoying reading every one's posts and dialogue!! 

BRING ON DAY 5! woop woop!

Hi everyone! I love reading everyone's posts. Day 4 has been going ok: I am realizing that meal planning has a learning curve--we are running out of food. Thus, there were some things today that wish had been better--I definitely need more veggies and more easy sources of protein. However, I stopped at the store on the way home though and have enough to get us through the week and then this weekend we can hit the store and farmers market.

I am becoming more convinced of the benefit of following the meal plan recommendations so thank you @SugarcubeOD and @FoodFreedomFighter for your advice yesterday.  I'm going to work on the pre-post work out snacks as well. The recommendations are different from what has been ingrained in me (carbs pre, carbs+protein post) but I want to really learn about this program and how the foods it endorses might be helpful to me as that is why I'm here!

Good morning everyone! The day is getting started out here on the West Coast. I am have a goal of really sticking with the meal plan recs today, here it is:

B/PreWO: 2 eggs srambled w/ spinach cooked in coconut oil, coffee w/ coconut milk

PostWO: sweet potatoe slice, 1 hardboilded egg

Lunch: leftovers from the FABULOUS dinner my hubby made last night (see pics below--whole roasted chicken w/ vegetables and potatoes cooked in a cocotte. This is something he's been doing for a while and it just so happens to be 100% compliant!! :)

Afternoon snack (if needed): hardboilded egg, maybe some nuts

Dinner: TBD but will cook a good meal since its Friday and we have the time

Cheers to the weekend everyone!

IMG_6016.JPG

IMG_6018.JPG

9 minutes ago, pearlgirl2017 said:

Ugh!!!  I'm so full I don't want to even see pictures of more food right now!!!  Of course come 12:30 I'll probably look at it and say man that looks good.

Sorry...I was literally posting pics as you posted this :huh:  I am feeling similarly, it was hard to get down breakfast this morning...

Archived