Starting July 17

SLHorowitz86

I hope everyone is having a great day 9 (or day 10 depending on where you are in the world :). My energy is still ok but I am having definite brain fog--I tried to apply chapstick with the cap on this morning and hour ago I literally forgot my cell phone number :huh:

How is everyone doing??

Dani

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm waking up with headaches and for 2 days I've been a little lightheaded -- I get this weird feeling that electric impulses zap my brain lightly. But as long as I cook in the morning when it's cool, it's not hard to make it through the day. No hunger, certainly!

• Moderators
1 minute ago, ladymath said:

I'm waking up with headaches and for 2 days I've been a little lightheaded -- I get this weird feeling that electric impulses zap my brain lightly. But as long as I cook in the morning when it's cool, it's not hard to make it through the day. No hunger, certainly!

Are you salting your food?  

HI all,  Had a bit of  a thing last night where I was craving craving craving sweets.  I had 2 cups of frozen berries and 2 dried figs.  Compliant but not in the spirit of it.  When I thought about it I realized I was totally exhausted +++.   I hadn't been sleeping well, had a very difficult day at work and walked further than usual so my legs were aching and throw hormones in the mix.   Anyway I'll have to watch that as the days go on.  

Heading out to lunch today but should be ok because steak, chips and salad is on the menu.  The master plan is - share the chips and have none, ask for no dressing and take my own and enjoy the steak!  

I find my meals are getting a little boring but easy to "assemble" so I'll have to start reaching a little bit I think.  

Let's do this!  We are heading to the halfway mark!

I'm still snacking on fruit...  I know I'm not supposed to but I can't really afford brain fog in my job...

I'm feeling okay, though I am currently locked out of my office phone because I typed the password incorrectly too many times.

Pretty proud of myself for not having a drink for 9 days.  Not that I haven't done that in the past, but it would usually be for Lent or similar.  Kind of refreshing to know that I've been doing something "for me" for that long.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Maireada said:

I'm still snacking on fruit...  I know I'm not supposed to but I can't really afford brain fog in my job...

Are you eating a template meal within an hour of waking and then again 4-5 hours later?  Brain fog can be helped by increasing your fats and make sure you're salting your food.

Hi y'all, happy day 9.  I had the brain fog a few days back.  The best Christmas present my companion ever gave me was a little password book.  I couldn't do without it - even when there is no brain fog.

I did not get the pork into the crockpot this morning as I had planned.  I look forward to being able to do it tomorrow.  Lunch for both of us was pretty late today, I finished it at about 3 o'clock.  Right now I'm too full to even think about cooking dinner in a few hours. 

1 hour ago, ladymath said:

Water...water...water, even slight dehydration will cause headaches.  Don't know about you but I'm in the bathroom more often since starting this journey.  And, I started eating my starchy veggie at breakfast and that helped.  (Love the diced sweet potato with ghee and a little salt.)

And just to be safe, have you checked your blood pressure lately? 

Good morning gang, and welcome to Day 10.  According to the timeline we are entering "the hardest days".   It will be for me tomorrow I think.  I have just been informed that my man's grandson is having his birthday party tomorrow at Johnny's Pizza House.

Heaven let me lose my sense of smell for an hour starting at 5:30 pm.  I believe I can do it.  What if I bring a couple of salmon patties to work with me and eat them just before I go, then hit the salad bar at the joint?  I think I can, I think I can...

I did manage to get the pork into the crockpot for the carnitas tonight.  Found this recipe on the Whole30 facebook site http://physicalkitchness.com/whole30-slow-cooker-pork-carnitas/ .  Looks good, we'll see how it turns out tonight.

14 minutes ago, pearlgirl2017 said:

Good morning gang, and welcome to Day 10.  According to the timeline we are entering "the hardest days".   It will be for me tomorrow I think.  I have just been informed that my man's grandson is having his birthday party tomorrow at Johnny's Pizza House.

Heaven let me lose my sense of smell for an hour starting at 5:30 pm.  I believe I can do it.  What if I bring a couple of salmon patties to work with me and eat them just before I go, then hit the salad bar at the joint?  I think I can, I think I can...

I did manage to get the pork into the crockpot for the carnitas tonight.  Found this recipe on the Whole30 facebook site http://physicalkitchness.com/whole30-slow-cooker-pork-carnitas/ .  Looks good, we'll see how it turns out tonight.

Howdy! I went to a pizza place on Friday before a movie night w/friends. I ordered baked hot wings w/Frank's hot sauce. It came w/carrots and celery. I added a side salad w/no cheese, croutons and asked for olive oil/lemon on the side. Luckily for me my waitress noticed my quirks and stated she recently completed her third round of Whole 30. She assured me that the wings were baked and would make sure everything was compliant. Ask questions...tons of them and you'll be fine. The pizza was hard to look at but I ate my meal nice and slow to keep my mind off of it. Good Luck! You'll do great.

I haven't hit the panic button just yet so I'm thinking it's just around the corner w/this life change. 

Hey All! today i am feeling like the timeline is so spot on for me. I have reached "the hardest days" for sure. I am over it. I am over cooking and prepping and thinking about every morsal that goes into my mouth and i just want someone to make a meal for me (i.e. go out for dinner). my Dinner last night was less than subpar and unfortunately its my lunch for today which takes away any desire to eat. My head was also apparently up my ass this morning because I failed to add veggies to my lunch (aside from the onion and peppers in my chicken fajitas) and I cannot leave work to go grab anything to accompany my meal.. so fajita chicken by itself is just gonna have to do. 

The novelty of this "way of life"  has worn off, and I am losing steam. I refuse to break because i've made it thus far... but going any longer than 30 days isn't going to happen for me (especially if I don't see any changes in my body or feel any different in my clothes).

anyway! To spare you all of my cranky - no good - behavior i'll sit back and read your posts and continue to convince myself this is going to be worth it in the end.

How do you guys go out to dinner and not worry if the salad dressing has sugar in it, or if the meat has carnegeean or whatever.... any and all condiments from a restaurant have to have sugar in them (since every single one i tried to purchase for my own home had it- its not like a restaurant is using primal foods or tessa maes' bbq sauce) Are you just saying screw it? what you dont know doesnt hurt you? 

16 minutes ago, SLHorowitz86 said:

Hey All! today i am feeling like the timeline is so spot on for me. I have reached "the hardest days" for sure. I am over it. I am over cooking and prepping and thinking about every morsal that goes into my mouth and i just want someone to make a meal for me (i.e. go out for dinner). my Dinner last night was less than subpar and unfortunately its my lunch for today which takes away any desire to eat. My head was also apparently up my ass this morning because I failed to add veggies to my lunch (aside from the onion and peppers in my chicken fajitas) and I cannot leave work to go grab anything to accompany my meal.. so fajita chicken by itself is just gonna have to do. 

The novelty of this "way of life"  has worn off, and I am losing steam. I refuse to break because i've made it thus far... but going any longer than 30 days isn't going to happen for me (especially if I don't see any changes in my body or feel any different in my clothes).

anyway! To spare you all of my cranky - no good - behavior i'll sit back and read your posts and continue to convince myself this is going to be worth it in the end.

How do you guys go out to dinner and not worry if the salad dressing has sugar in it, or if the meat has carnegeean or whatever.... any and all condiments from a restaurant have to have sugar in them (since every single one i tried to purchase for my own home had it- its not like a restaurant is using primal foods or tessa maes' bbq sauce) Are you just saying screw it? what you dont know doesnt hurt you? 

Have you got a post-it with your "why you are doing this" stuck in front of you where you can see it?  Keep up the fight!  This too shall pass.  Only a few more days till the magic happens.

I don't know about the restaurants, tomorrow will be my first time eating out since I started.  Most places usually have a salad bar and I can eat mine with lemon wedges (if they have any).  I plan on taking in a small container of the lemon oil tomorrow night just in case.  I'm lucky in that I don't like the majority of bottled salad dressing anyway so I don't miss it.  Why ruin a perfectly good salad with goop.

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, SLHorowitz86 said:

I hope people doing a Whole30 are not saying 'screw it' or 'what you don't know doesn't hurt you' because what you don't know could hurt you... carrageenan for instance gives me such a terrible rash on my skin that I can hardly put clothes over it...

You're on the toughest day but also, as far as wanting clothes to feel different or changes in body, you're only on day 10... 1/3 of the way... a LOT can happen in 20 days, not the least of which is that you might realize you really love how you feel eating this way :)  Stick it out my friend!

20 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Are you eating a template meal within an hour of waking and then again 4-5 hours later?  Brain fog can be helped by increasing your fats and make sure you're salting your food.

I just wanted to share my discovery about salting food - I woke up with horrible calf cramps/charley horses several nights in a row and traced it back to not enough salt/electrolytes.  Before my dietary changes, I ate a lot of processed and fast foods, and lack of sodium was never an issue - it is now!  Added salt daily and problem solved!

Thanks sugarcube!

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Jim4884 said:

I just wanted to share my discovery about salting food - I woke up with horrible calf cramps/charley horses several nights in a row and traced it back to not enough salt/electrolytes.  Before my dietary changes, I ate a lot of processed and fast foods, and lack of sodium was never an issue - it is now!  Added salt daily and problem solved!

Thanks sugarcube!

Oh glad I could help!  That was an easy fix ;)

Well, and what i forgot to include in my post (typing too fast) was that looking back, I was having some concentration issues at work that puzzled me, and the timing lines right up with the sodium deficiency thing, so thanks for that clarification! :D 

4 hours ago, pearlgirl2017 said:

Wish I could find that bacon around here.

This may not help at all but I believe at least one of the brands can be found at Sprouts and Whole Foods. I found them at a local market here and just got lucky. 

3 hours ago, SLHorowitz86 said:

When I went out and ordered the salad. I ate a dry salad and asked for oil/lemon on the side...that's it. The chicken was baked and I asked for Frank's on the side. I ask TONS of question and get my salad dry. I went out for a friends birthday and told them to cook my meat w/only olive oil and basic seasonings...no butter on anything. You can do it. You just have to ask questions and make sure they understand what you want. I want to keep as much of these habits as I can when I'm done with my first round so I am doing my best to incorporate in things that I normally do. I wish you all the luck! We could all use it during our first 30 days. :)

Hi all,

Day 10 is going ok. I don't think I've hit the wall yet but that might change when I have lunch in the next hour-the SAME lunch I've had every single day this week because I meal prepped on Sunday. 

What I am noticing is I am hyper-attuned to every dessert and sugary treat around. Every time I hear or see the words ice cream, cookies or chocolate my head swivels in that direction. I saw someone drinking a Carmel frappuccino (something I have not had interest in drinking for over 10 years) and had to stop myself from grabbing it out of their hands. I think it's more the idea that "I can't have that" rather than an physiological craving. 

I plan to keep chugging along! We've come this far! I don't want all the effort I've already exerted to go to waste. 

Hang in there everyone,

Dani

4 hours ago, SLHorowitz86 said:

Going out to dinner is a challenge @SLHorowitz86 for sure. I live in farming and cattle country so the beef is good. Also  I know the places to eat locally.  When I went out to lunch yesterday I ate half an avo before I went just to help with impulsivity :rolleyes: (I know I know but it helps me). So  I had the grilled steak  and asked them to hold the dressing on the salad.  Instead of hot potato chips cos i'm feeling the W30 thing atm, I asked for a double order of salad with no dressing.  I took my own dressing in a little container and quietly added it to the salad at the table.  I was with 7 other people and no-one noticed!  I stuck with soda water and lime and coffee.    

Also I went out with a girlfriend recently  for coffee and cake and she ordered the cake.  This will sound weird but I take a little container of coconut oil in my bag and add a tsp  to black coffee.  It has that lovely light coconut fragrance and the mouth feel is a little decadent and I don't feel deprived.  It's not the bullet proof coffee as it should be but it works for me. This is something I'll use whole30 or not I think. 

Day 11 for me (Thursday) and I'm going to the Gold Coast for the day on Saturday.  Another challenge but I'm planning ahead and have my cooler bag ready to pack.  

Today is:

M1 Spinach omelette  and half an avo

M2  spicy grilled chicken (paprika, garlic and chili)  and salad (red cabbage, lettuce, carrot, purple onion, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, 1x egg with olive oil and lime dressing)

M3  Chili over steamed veg drizzled with ghee and olive oil

When my spirits are flagging I keep telling myself the magic will happen!  Pantene Principle - it won't happen overnight but it will happen!  Roll on Whole30!! :D

The lightheadedness is better today, although not gone. I salt everything! And I pee all the time. That will be a problem when I get back to school since I can't keep running to the bathroom while I'm teaching. 

Because it's hot in the evening, I do my cooking in the morning, which helps me not procrastinate. I really admire all of you doing this while working full-time; I'm so happy I started during summer break. 

So looking forward to that crockpot full of to-be-shredded pork.  I too SLHorowitz86, only had half my lunch by the time I got to work.  At least you had the protein, all I could find was a dole fruit cup, a banana, and a packet of almond butter.  Starving...

Archived