Starting July 17

SLHorowitz86

32 minutes ago, pearlgirl2017 said:

Roll call - how is everyone today?  Are we all still hangin' in there?  So far so good for me.

Well... today i am better. I am less inclined to climb through my computer and choke out my co-workers so thats a plus... (does that sound extreme? haha - woops). This morning i gagged on my eggs (which is unusal because I LOVE eggs for breakfast. i have been eating eggs for breakfast daily for the past god i dont know 7 years?) 

I feel like i have more energy today which is good. My husband who is a day behind me had a good workout yesterday so I am hoping my workout today will be stellar, since I am feeling more engergized. I wound up skipping my tuesday night workout because i felt drained. yesterday i didnt work out due to (well i dont have an excuse - its just not a day i typically work out its my off day) So today is my day to see if i have any better results in the gym. 

All in all.. i feel better. I have a better lunch ahead of me so i guess i have that to look forward to. I have chicken breasts, carrots and celery waiting to be turned on in the crockpot for dinner... maybe ill do a baked sweet potato with it (but probably ill just do a salad to make it easy) I have to try a different dressing recipe cause the balsamic vinaigrette is getting tired. 

I think i'll make a strawberry balsamic instead for tonight... anywho! happy dayyyyy 11? is it? over the 1/3 hump. but man am i craving a nice glass of red wine... meh. 

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, pearlgirl2017 said:

Roll call - how is everyone today?  Are we all still hangin' in there?  So far so good for me.

Good morning everyone! I'm doing ok this morning, got a good nights sleep last night which always helps everything. Today seems to be the day of the week when our meal planning falls apart-this mornings breakfast was bacon and eggs which was delicious but we didn't have any veggies prepped. For lunch I have some leftovers from last night. We have no idea what we're eating for dinner. 

Welcome to day 11! I hope everyone is hanging in there. 

Dani

Uh oh, thought I was being compliant but I'm not.  I checked the labels on bottled lemon and lime juice and found some that didn't have any sugar or sugar alcohol.  What I didn't remember to check for were sulfites.  The lemon juice has sodium metabisulfate in the ingredient list.  

When members asked if they had to start over they were told no, it's a learning curve don't do it anymore (even one at day 11).  But, they were using it to flavor tea or water.  Small spritzes I call it.  I've use it for water, sparkling water, and to make lemon oil dressing.  And the 3 tablespoons of lime juice in the 4 lb. pork carnitas.  Is that so much I would be better off to start over?

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, pearlgirl2017 said:

Uh oh, thought I was being compliant but I'm not.  I checked the labels on bottled lemon and lime juice and found some that didn't have any sugar or sugar alcohol.  What I didn't remember to check for were sulfites.  The lemon juice has sodium metabisulfate in the ingredient list.  

When members asked if they had to start over they were told no, it's a learning curve don't do it anymore (even one at day 11).  But, they were using it to flavor tea or water.  Small spritzes I call it.  I've use it for water, sparkling water, and to make lemon oil dressing.  And the 3 tablespoons of lime juice in the 4 lb. pork carnitas.  Is that so much I would be better off to start over?

It's entirely up to you and what you're doing the Whole30 for.  I will tell you that sulphites can be extremely disruptive to some people so if you're trying to figure out any medical issues or food intolerance, ya, you'd probably want to start over.  However, being an adult with free will, you get to decide.  In my signature below there's an article called 'Do I really Have to Start over'.  Check that out and report back :)

I kind of knew I would be starting over after the amount that I had consumed over the last few days.  I was really really hoping someone would tell me that sulfites are bad but sulfates are okay.  Just a hope...

If I let myself slide on this, I know myself well enough to know that I'll let myself slide on other things too.  Milk and Truvia will find their way back into my coffee, honey into my tea.  So it's all or nothing for me.

I'm not going to throw out the food I've made that's in my fridge right now.  I can't see wasting good money.  I will continue to eat it until it's gone and start from ground zero on Monday.  

• Moderators
1 hour ago, pearlgirl2017 said:

I kind of knew I would be starting over after the amount that I had consumed over the last few days.  I was really really hoping someone would tell me that sulfites are bad but sulfates are okay.  Just a hope...

If I let myself slide on this, I know myself well enough to know that I'll let myself slide on other things too.  Milk and Truvia will find their way back into my coffee, honey into my tea.  So it's all or nothing for me.

I'm not going to throw out the food I've made that's in my fridge right now.  I can't see wasting good money.  I will continue to eat it until it's gone and start from ground zero on Monday.  

I honestly love your attitude! I don't like when people have to start over but I LOVE reading that people DO start over because of the commitment made to themselves!  Good for you!  You can come and hang with us on the Dragon thread starting Monday if you want... you'll only be a couple days behind most of the starters, so it might be a good fit :)

ugh! What a bummer to have to start over. i never thought to look at labels for the sulfates.. but i don't think I've used anything (aside from balsamic vinegar - which has naturally occurring sulfates) so i think i'm okay! *PHEW* 

But here we are... at another weekends crossroads.. GOOD LORD do i want a drink!!!!! and even more so, I want to go out and enjoy a nice dinner at one of my favorite restaurants with my husband, and one or 2 of their signature cocktails! *WAHHHHHHH* old habits die hard! Instead of  a delicious dinner of buffalo cauliflower wings and fried chicken tonight we are hosting dinner and are going to make the Shepard pie (again) from the Whole30 cookbook... and slurp down some La Croix mocktails.

I feel like my clothes are fitting different. My workout pants were not digging so far into my "spare tire" last night and they went on much easier than they had prior to starting so that makes me happy. I am trying VERY hard to stay away from the dreaded scale, but I feel like my legs are definitely looking better.. even my husband commented on them yesterday :) YIPPEEEEEEEE. My joints still are feeling the same... i am really hoping the stiffness and clicking in my knees will subside.  Additional good news for me was that my energy level was much stronger yesterday in my workouts. I actually feel like I had one of my better workouts in a while! 

My issues so far have been GOD AWFUL heart burn yesterday (with that said, i did forget to take my prilosec for the past 2 days so its probably not anything from the diet, but rather me not taking my meds- i was hoping that with the diet i would be able to get off these meds... but i guess that's not in the cards... at least not yet) Today i have  a ripping headache... i wonder what its from.. i salt my food, so i don't think it would be from that... maybe it's just a fluke.

I'm starting to feel better about this whole30 thing now that some of the results are showing (or at least i think they are). I am definitely still tired of cooking every single night and prepping meals, but... it will all be worth it in the end.. right?

Hows everyone else's day 12?

Yes SLHorowitz86,  I believe it will be worth it in the end.  

My clothes don't feel any different to me yet.  I feel like I'm stuffing myself to the max everyday and could not possibly lose weight eating all that is required.  Since I will be starting over I stepped on the scale this morning to see how much weight all that food put on me.  WooHoooooo! Down down down!   Keep going people!!  A side effect of eating healthy, even with a mistake, is weight loss!!

Just try not to make any mistakes :-)

Maybe I should have said SPOILER ALERT about the weight thing, really hope I didn't ruin the plot line for anyone. 

I did want to mention my first NSV that I noticed. I could bring my knee to my chest while trimming my toenails and still breathe. 

On 7/29/2017 at 1:19 AM, pearlgirl2017 said:

Good luck with starting over @pearlgirl2017.  I've had to do it myself a couple of times and it's tough, frustrating, annoying but  really is good for the soul.   I'm like you, once I start to slide it creeps in everywhere.  Whatever happens, eat healthy, have fun and be the best you.   Plus I love that you had some NSVs and lost weight too. ;)

16 hours ago, aussiegal said:

Good luck with starting over @pearlgirl2017.  I've had to do it myself a couple of times and it's tough, frustrating, annoying but  really is good for the soul.   I'm like you, once I start to slide it creeps in everywhere.  Whatever happens, eat healthy, have fun and be the best you.   Plus I love that you had some NSVs and lost weight too. ;)

Thanks aussiegal, my main goal has always been to bring my a1c, blood pressure, and inflammatory markers down. Weight loss will help with some of that, eating clean should help with the rest.  Seeing that lower number on the scale was great for my psyche.  I want to do this.  I know I can do this.  I even bought a juice press yesterday to help with squeezing the citrus. 

I'm going to keep checking in on this forum to see how everyone is doing.  I found another group with a start date of July 31 that I'll be in, and we'll all just keep on keeping on. 

Today I feel like I hit a wall. I haven't had many symptoms that I would consider detoxing, I just feel the same as usual -- except not stuffed from overeating nuts or sweets. But I just couldn't face vegetables at breakfast today. I just had eggs and a pluot. I think I have been trying to eat too much. A lot of the recipes make more than a palm's worth of meat.

Happily, there was a Facebook post from Whole30 on breakfast ideas today, so that should help!

9 hours ago, pearlgirl2017 said:

Thanks aussiegal, my main goal has always been to bring my a1c, blood pressure, and inflammatory markers down. Weight loss will help with some of that, eating clean should help with the rest.  Seeing that lower number on the scale was great for my psyche.  I want to do this.  I know I can do this.  I even bought a juice press yesterday to help with squeezing the citrus. 

I'm going to keep checking in on this forum to see how everyone is doing.  I found another group with a start date of July 31 that I'll be in, and we'll all just keep on keeping on. 

I'm so sorry you have to start over and so impressed by your commitment! Please do keep us updated as to how you are doing.

So... today I found plain almondmilk yogurt, containing all compliant ingredients. I was super excited and bought some and then my husband (who is SORT OF doing the Whole 30 with me--he's been sticking with the diet but not giving up wine and beer) pointed out that this is an example of SWYPO as yogurt is something I basically lived on pre-whole 30 and have been missing tremendously since starting. I would welcome other's thoughts. It's sell-by date is 8-20-17 so I could save it for post-whole 30 with out wasting it...but I was excited to have it with fruit and nuts in the morning for breakfast :(

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, Dani Chris said:

I'm so sorry you have to start over and so impressed by your commitment! Please do keep us updated as to how you are doing.

So... today I found plain almondmilk yogurt, containing all compliant ingredients. I was super excited and bought some and then my husband (who is SORT OF doing the Whole 30 with me--he's been sticking with the diet but not giving up wine and beer) pointed out that this is an example of SWYPO as yogurt is something I basically lived on pre-whole 30 and have been missing tremendously since starting. I would welcome other's thoughts. It's sell-by date is 8-20-17 so I could save it for post-whole 30 with out wasting it...but I was excited to have it with fruit and nuts in the morning for breakfast :(

Your hubby is right, there's no replacement yogurt, cereal, toast, standard breakfast items.... save until after :)

18 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Your hubby is right, there's no replacement yogurt, cereal, toast, standard breakfast items.... save until after :)

Yeah...I was figuring that would be the case. Ok, I know what I will have for breakfast on day 31 :) 

The interesting thing is that part of my obsession with yogurt (in addition to the creamy deliciousness) has been that I've always believed it helped with my digestion because of the probiotics. Well after two weeks on the Whole 30 my GI issues are about 95% resolved. That is the most dramatic change I have noticed so far. Now if I could just get some of that tiger blood ya"ll will have made a believer out of me. 

DAY 15!!

Good morning everyone! We are almost through the half way point! I hope everyone is hanging a great start to their week.

I've been reflecting a lot on my experience thus far with the Whole 30. My primary reasons for doing this program have been to address chronic GI issues (most likely undiagnosed IBS) and improve energy levels. While I haven't noticed a change in energy levels yet (though I'm not giving up hope on this!) my GI issues that I've had for the past 20 years are 95% improved after two weeks on this plan. I never would have believed this possible, especially without my daily dose of yogurt (see above post).

Another eye-opening thing I've realized through this process is about my relationship with food. I actually thought I had a pretty good relationship with food prior to the whole 30. However, after two weeks of regular meal prep I'm realizing how little I used to prioritize taking the time to prepare meals for myself. I make time for everything else in my life: work 12 hour days, get to the gym, make time for my family and friends. How could I possibly be so self indulgent as to take several hours out of my week to plan and prepare healthy, wholesome meals for myself? Isn't it so much better to eat an energy bar in the car, pre-packaged sandwich at my desk, and wolf-down dinner at night then head straight to bed? And I'm wondering why I have GI issues...

I know I may not be able to sustain this level of meal prep all the time but this process has totally shifted how I think about cooking and taking care of myself. It is even forcing me to rethink my current approach to work (maybe I don't want to work 12 hour days...).

Heres to the next two+weeks! Hang in there everyone! We've totally got this!

Dani

Hey heyyyyy day 15 people! I don't know about ya'll but I feel GREAT today!! 

My energy is up (i woke up before my alarm clock at 5:06am -alarm was set for 5:30). The fact that i feel so energized is odd because I did NOT get a great sleep last night. I didnt drink coffee all day which lead to a terrible headache last night, so i drank caffeinated tea late in the evening and thus my sleep was in and out. Despite my EXTREMELY boring career choice.. I find myself energized to get through my work day today without feeling like i need to take a snooze at my desk. My focus, however, has not improved which i was hoping it would... but i blame that on the fact that accounting is just not exciting enough to hold my attention for long periods of time. Maybe this "tiger blood" thing is kicking in after all. I cant wait to get home and do something active!

Lets see.. what else is great... oh my pants! Even though when i look in the mirror i HATE what looks back at me, my pants are fitting MUCH looser, and i JUST bought these so that's kinda a financial bummer but a total score for my body. Hopefully i will never fit in them again... boy are they saggy in places they've never sagged before (saddle bags, thighs and booty).

I am still hating meal prep. I never enjoyed it in any of my past diet lives.. but! i find it is much easier to just cook extra food for my dinner meals and eat the left overs for lunch... so i only have to prep breakfast...which i didn't do :(... I mean i make fresh eggs every day, but, it was such a beautiful weekend here in New York, that i spent the weekend outside rather than inside meal prepping. So! this weeks breakfast will consist of eggs and salad. AND! another score for me.. my local grocer carries Tessa Mea dressing so I didn't even have to make that!! Dinners for this week are going to be decided on a whim since I didnt plan or grocery shop for anything yesterday.. im heading to wholefoods today after work to grab the essentials though, and i'll go from there.

The grocery store was painful yesterday - my cravings for sweets have gotten OUT OF CONTROL. when is this sugar dragon going to go away!? 

I've really noticed that my snacking has been such a problem with me in the past... its amazing how you don't even realize you are doing it. My mother in law keeps a bowl of m&m's on her hutch by her front door and I habitually always take a couple on my way out of her house... i found myself GRABBING for them the other day, and had to snap myself out of it! I luckily snapped my hand away in time... but it was a close one. This past weekend, i snacked.. but on fruit. I didn't feel like cooking lunch yesterday before heading out to the pool so i brought some fruit with me instead. I am sure this is a TOTAL no no but i figure since I stuck with whole30 compliant foods, i am not breaking the diet... right? or no? Either way, i am going to continue as if i didn't. Fruit was just such a refreshing option for the type of weather that we had. 

Anyway...Cheers to half way through day 15, and another meal closer to halfway through the 30 days.

On 7/31/2017 at 0:46 PM, SLHorowitz86 said:

Hey heyyyyy day 15 people! I don't know about ya'll but I feel GREAT today!! 

My energy is up (i woke up before my alarm clock at 5:06am -alarm was set for 5:30). The fact that i feel so energized is odd because I did NOT get a great sleep last night. I didnt drink coffee all day which lead to a terrible headache last night, so i drank caffeinated tea late in the evening and thus my sleep was in and out. Despite my EXTREMELY boring career choice.. I find myself energized to get through my work day today without feeling like i need to take a snooze at my desk. My focus, however, has not improved which i was hoping it would... but i blame that on the fact that accounting is just not exciting enough to hold my attention for long periods of time. Maybe this "tiger blood" thing is kicking in after all. I cant wait to get home and do something active!

Lets see.. what else is great... oh my pants! Even though when i look in the mirror i HATE what looks back at me, my pants are fitting MUCH looser, and i JUST bought these so that's kinda a financial bummer but a total score for my body. Hopefully i will never fit in them again... boy are they saggy in places they've never sagged before (saddle bags, thighs and booty).

I am still hating meal prep. I never enjoyed it in any of my past diet lives.. but! i find it is much easier to just cook extra food for my dinner meals and eat the left overs for lunch... so i only have to prep breakfast...which i didn't do :(... I mean i make fresh eggs every day, but, it was such a beautiful weekend here in New York, that i spent the weekend outside rather than inside meal prepping. So! this weeks breakfast will consist of eggs and salad. AND! another score for me.. my local grocer carries Tessa Mea dressing so I didn't even have to make that!! Dinners for this week are going to be decided on a whim since I didnt plan or grocery shop for anything yesterday.. im heading to wholefoods today after work to grab the essentials though, and i'll go from there.

The grocery store was painful yesterday - my cravings for sweets have gotten OUT OF CONTROL. when is this sugar dragon going to go away!? 

I've really noticed that my snacking has been such a problem with me in the past... its amazing how you don't even realize you are doing it. My mother in law keeps a bowl of m&m's on her hutch by her front door and I habitually always take a couple on my way out of her house... i found myself GRABBING for them the other day, and had to snap myself out of it! I luckily snapped my hand away in time... but it was a close one. This past weekend, i snacked.. but on fruit. I didn't feel like cooking lunch yesterday before heading out to the pool so i brought some fruit with me instead. I am sure this is a TOTAL no no but i figure since I stuck with whole30 compliant foods, i am not breaking the diet... right? or no? Either way, i am going to continue as if i didn't. Fruit was just such a refreshing option for the type of weather that we had. 

Anyway...Cheers to half way through day 15, and another meal closer to halfway through the 30 days.

HOWDY! We are on the same Whole30 cycle! I don't know if you are looking for an extra buddy or not, but I have started a log in the Whole30 forums and have been looking for someone who started on the 17th as well! :) I envy you that your energy has increased. I am missing that part. I still feel groggy and find myself in the hangover mode in my 3rd week but I am feeling internally better and that to me is already a big hoop jumped through. 

The boyfriend and I find ourselves at the grocery store every weekend and we too struggle when going past the chips and sugar aisles. I make myself walk down them and say no. It makes me feel stronger when I do. 

I have been told that snacking is a no no but I still do it. I allow myself one snack during the day and it's either a handful of fruit or I have made some awesome bars that are just raw cashews, dates, and organic shredded coconut blended together and pressed out. Simple and delicious and 100% Whole30 compliant! All my diet routines have included two snacks during the day and my body has gotten so used to that, I couldn't omit both snack breaks. So I'm right with you on the snacks, if they Whole30 compliant, I am not going to consider it a break in the diet! 

Cheers on half way through! And good luck to you and the last 15 days! Easy peasy! :):) 

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, AndieK said:

I envy you that your energy has increased. I am missing that part. I still feel groggy and find myself in the hangover mode in my 3rd week 

I have been told that snacking is a no no but I still do it. I allow myself one snack during the day and it's either a handful of fruit or I have made some awesome bars that are just raw cashews, dates, and organic shredded coconut blended together and pressed out. 

Hi @AndieK - not snacking is a recommendation, not a rule, so you're fine on that front. I would like you to hear me out though. Although you have snacked throughout previous plans and are continuing to do so during Whole30, consider that this may no longer be serving you well.

The "tiger blood" and uptick in energy, lack of hangover symptoms etc is a direct result of balancing hormones and blood sugar. These two things are achieved specifically by eating three meals a day/avoiding snacking and not eating sugar-heavy bars or fruit on its own.

If you really are after increased energy, consider following the recommendations that have been provided for best possible results. If you are going to continue to snack for whatever reason, you'll get better results if you eat protein and fat or protein and veggies in between meals than you do by eating fruit alone or those lara-bar substitutes which are just sugar-bombs.

Just for your consideration. :) 

Day 18!

Hello everyone! How is everyone doing? It's been a quiet week on here. 

I am continuing to have improvement with my GI and I dare say my skin is looking awesome. My energy however is not so great. No tiger blood yet, I actually feel pretty exhausted this week. I'm no going to lie it's more than a little discouraging. Not to mention I am So. Sick. Of Cooking. I'm not throwing in the towel but I am hoping to turn a corner and start feeling better. 

I hope everyone else is doing great and hanging in there :)

Dani

17 hours ago, Dani Chris said:

Day 18!

Hello everyone! How is everyone doing? It's been a quiet week on here. 

I am continuing to have improvement with my GI and I dare say my skin is looking awesome. My energy however is not so great. No tiger blood yet, I actually feel pretty exhausted this week. I'm no going to lie it's more than a little discouraging. Not to mention I am So. Sick. Of Cooking. I'm not throwing in the towel but I am hoping to turn a corner and start feeling better. 

I hope everyone else is doing great and hanging in there :)

Dani

It has been very quiet this week! Is everyone still in this besides Dani and myself?

My status:

1. I am continuing to feel energized (though today i did NOT want to wake up).

2. People have been commenting that they are seeing a difference in my body so thats awesome. And a pair of pants i couldn't button before starting now fit so thats AWESOME! It makes me want to continue this clean eating if this is the results i will get...

3. I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO over cooking every meal.... that is never going to get easier. Especially having to wake up 30 minutes earlier in the morning so that i can make breakfast. There has to be an easier way. 

4. My patience is much thinner on this way of eating - i am much more snappy and "bitchy" - wonder when that will go away or if i have just reached my witts end with coworkers (probably the latter)

5. My skin looks better as well. 

6. I am depressed that here is another Friday without a couple glasses of wine and a nice dinner out.... 

How is everyone else making out?

Archived