HELP!!! Need advice...

Help please for a confused and disheartened newbie.....

After posting yesterday, rather smugly (!) that I was surprised that America had sugar in its bacon I read the ingredients on mine this morning (after eating it!!!) and it DOES have sugar in! I thought it was ok as it was from a farmers market. I have also discovered sugar in my vitamin c and soybean oil in my multivitamin!

I am on Day 5 and have quit cigarettes at the same time. Do I have to start again? I really don't think I can. At the moment I feel like (a) punching something/one (B) crying © falling asleep.

Can I just add the 4 days on at the end as right now that feels more do-able? I am a perfectionist and worried I won't get the mystical 'magic' thingy.

And do I have to get a different multivit as I've just bought 3 months worth and they were expensive?

Absolutely just add them on at the end. You'll still end up with 30 'clean' days but, I totally agree, without the psychological hangups of having failed and given up.

I know what you mean about bacon. I've been buying sugar free bacon form a store in town. Yesterday I put two slices on to fry and, I don't know why, just thought the pack looked slightly different - sure enough sugar!!!! :o:angry: .. Arrrgh! I'm actually on day 57 so was tempted to just have it anyway. However, when I quit W30 and start 'riding my own bike', I want it to be an absolute conscious decision, not a slip up.

It was sooo hard taking those pieces of bacon out of the pan and binning them. Eating hard boiled egg when you can smell bacon is the pits :(

Multivitamins were a challenge for me, too. I realized only many days in that I should check those. But I'm not the perfectionist you are. I charged into my Whole30 with a lot of misinformation and made lots of mistakes like this. Even though none of the experts here would say my Whole30 was compliant -- and some day I may go back and do a real W30 -- I still consider it a success because my head was in the game and I drastically changed my eating habits.

The answer is of course you can add days onto the end, I think many people do a W45 or W60, and yes, you should use compliant supplements during that time. Save the ones you have for afterward if you decide to reintroduce them. You can always donate unopened packages to a food pantry. And give yourself credit for having your head in the game. That is most of the challenge, IMO.

Another thought..do you really need a multi vitamin when you are eating so healthy? Just something to think about. :)

I stopped taking supplements. The artificially created vitamins (just a bunch of chemicals) are no match for the natural vitamins you get from eating real, unadulterated food. The vitamin industry grew up around the processed food industry. We took so much goodness out of our foods in the processing that we had to add them back artificially. Go figure.

• Moderators

It is amazing how much sugar and soy is included in a wide range of products. I went through a specialty vitamin shop once and found that more than two-thirds of all products on the shelf were not Whole30-compliant. The shop owner tried to convince me that "there was so little soy it doesn't matter," but I wanted to do a perfect Whole30. And who knows how much matters? There are compliant supplements around, but you have to look for them.

I quit taking a multivitamin for several years because my diet is good and I know that most supplements don't actually provide the good the sellers promise; real food delivers, but supplements generally fail. However, I started taking a multivitamin again last week. I was having some issues and my old bottle was sitting on the counter and I said, "Why not?"

Congrats on the quitting smoking! That's huge! I quit four years ago and I am so, so glad I finally did it! My "grumpiness" was so bad--and it lasted for months. I think you're smart to change your diet at the same time. Take some of that angry energy and get out there and do something--a walk around the block, a bike ride, a swim, whatever works for you! --that wll help, too.

Hang in there. You can do this!

Archived