Can I have Marijuana

easipeasi

I'm glad this is a topic that has already been discussed (and even commented on by Melissa herself!)

I honestly think if it's used for medicinal use (to avoid taking pharmaceutical drugs) and recommended by a doctor (in a legal state), I don't see why it should be an issue. Obviously cooking it into something like ghee or coconut oil is way better than smoking. Just got to make sure if it makes you munchie, to be sure to know whether you can handle those cravings during a Whole30.

My boyfriend has asked me this question and I'm glad I found the topic and can answer intelligently :)

I'm definitely not an expert on Whole30 rules, but IMO if the usage is medicinal, it is definitely a better alternative to pills that contain God-knows-what kind of chemicals, while recreational use during Whole30 is not a good idea. Just saying.  

• 11 months later...

So I am not prescribed it medically, but I do generally enjoy using it to relax. I will admit I've been a daily smoker for 2 years or so now. But since November I've been trying to limit usage to weekends and special occasions. I've found that when I quit completely I'm generally not as patient of a person and am quicker to anger. I think it generally makes me an overall nicer person. I also just enjoy indulging a bit and putting on some good music and reading. 

I do get occasional cravings, but I'm able to control them. The other day I ended up eating some olives instead of something sugary. If I control my cravings and only partake on weekends, would this be considered okay for TW30? Also, I use a vaporizer, so it should make it a bit healthier. 

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Chris I said:

So I am not prescribed it medically, but I do generally enjoy using it to relax. I will admit I've been a daily smoker for 2 years or so now. But since November I've been trying to limit usage to weekends and special occasions. I've found that when I quit completely I'm generally not as patient of a person and am quicker to anger. I think it generally makes me an overall nicer person. I also just enjoy indulging a bit and putting on some good music and reading. 

I do get occasional cravings, but I'm able to control them. The other day I ended up eating some olives instead of something sugary. If I control my cravings and only partake on weekends, would this be considered okay for TW30? Also, I use a vaporizer, so it should make it a bit healthier. 

From Melissa's post in the first page of this thread:

Would we ever say marijuana is okay during the Whole30? Hell no. But you're all grown-up people with your own unique contexts and full awareness of the consequences of your actions, and you are free to engage in whatever behaviours you feel are appropriate for your situation.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Chris I said:

This would be something you need to consider for yourself.  We're not going to smack the vaporizer out of your hand but you really should try and give the full 30 days your best effort and potentially feeling groggy or addled the next morning would be a really disappointing way to spend even one of your Whole30 days when you could feel like superman but instead feel like okayman... :) 

Honestly, I see both sides to this, and they both make sense. I think it’s really up to you and whether or not you think smoking (or vaping, or eating) is going to hinder, help, or not really effect your Whole30 results. 

As for me, I’m a daily user (I smoke, vape, and make my own edibles and salves), and I’m not willing to quit. I think quitting, for me, would be extremely counterproductive to what I’m trying to achieve here. But I also use MJ for a whoooole bunch of stuff that I’m no longer [willing to be] medicated for (in the pill sense- my psychiatrist had me on a nasty cocktail for a few years before I quit cold turkey, went through pill withdrawals, and picked my good friend MJ back up again). I use it for pain, migraines, bipolar, anxiety, depression, OCD, ADHD, insomnia, and i use it in recovery from an ED I’ve been battling my whole life. In my opinion, quitting would be more harmful than helpful to me. I’m sure others have their views, but, as Melissa said, we’re all grown ups here. We know our bodies pretty well (or should? Most of us do haha) and it’s up to you to decide what to do about it and what would benefit your body best!

That's kind of how I feel about it. I don't think it will affect my Whole30 results much since the major piece of the Whole30 is the diet piece. The one thing is I like to snack when I smoke, so I have to make sure I limit my snacking and only eat good snacks (fruit, nuts, olives). There are so many beneficial properties to having it that I think it's almost counter productive. I don't get "hangovers" when I smoke so I don't think that will be an issue. I usually actually wake up feeling refreshed. And if you're using it in place of pills, it's obviously the much better option. I think I'm just going to keep it to a minimum and only partake on weekends a little. 

• 1 year later...

Chris I: If the MJ is to treat so many chronic conditions,, how is only doing it on the weekends beneficial? With all due respect, this sounds like you might be justifying the use of it for recreational purposes, which we all know goes against the rules and spirit of whole30. Are you certain that your symptoms after a few days without it aren’t actually due to withdrawal from the MJ?

If you are able to make it through the week, why not try continuing through the weekend without it and see how it goes? *i am not a doctor so take my answer with that in mind 

Archived