New to this!

CampJulie

I just found out about this program and am just about ready to jump in.  I figure if I don't stress over it too much, it will be easier to actually do it! 

I have arthritis in both hands and feet and possibly developing in my knees and ankles.  I also am on meds for high blood pressure and have eczema so I am hoping Whole30 will help as well as get me to a healthier weight.  If only it could turn back time to make me 30 years old, it could be a perfect thing!  ha ha

I have been trying to get rid of the unhealthy eating habits so the transition shouldn't be too drastic.  If anyone has any good advice for me, I am open to suggestions!

So, I have printed off everything from online, have the book and have been reading it. It seems very doable so here I go!

(My name is indicative of my husband and my love for camping and RVing.  He is going to do this with me!! )

Hello Julie,

I started a whole 30 last month, about 3 weeks in I discovered a couple of items I was including in my diet kind of regularly had a little added sugar (I just didn't read labels well enough), so I did not complete an official whole 30.  However, that 3 weeks, plus I was easing into changing my eating for about two weeks prior, resulted in my blood pressure going from 130/90 WITH meds, to 110/74 WITHOUT meds; I have a pretty severely arthritic ankle that has noticeably improved, and my eczema (very mild) has gone away.  I have started a new Whole30 (armed with better label reading habits lol) as of July 4.  It is SO worth it, welcome and enjoy the results!

Jim

I hadn't really planned to start yet but in reading over the meals, a lot of them are already in my pantry.  I just have to cut out the things that aren't on it.  Cheese - well, I have to leave that one in the fridge since my kids use it.  I don't normally use much cheese, unless it is Parmesan but I am ok without cheese or dairy.

So, yesterday I had an egg for breakfast, with some tea. Lunch was shrimp and spinach sauteed in olive oil with some olives on the side.  I fixed a salad with avocado and egg, mixed greens and cabbage and tomatoes.  Will work on the rest of the week but I am excited to get started on this.  Back from vacation two weeks ago, so this is a great way to spend the rest of my summer!  Kids are working so it's mainly just me and my husband who will eat dinner and just me during the day.  I hope that he will try to stick with it for the first two meals.  He usually goes out with the guys he works with for lunch.  I don't see him sticking with an actual plan; he doesn't like to skip his bread (sandwiches, tortillas mostly).  We will see.

Thanks Jim and Rachel!!  Jim, that sounds very promising!!  Congratulations on the BP results!!  Great news!  I would like nothing better than to stop those meds.  The arthritis meds are also detrimental in the long term (used for chemotherapy as well!!  Side effects after too long of use).

I hope to post some good results too!!  I know if it were just me in my house, it would be so easy.  Having teenagers and a husband who love their bread and grains won't help, though one daughter is more interested in loosely following since she has been considering a vegetarian diet but time will tell.

Good luck to you both!

Flour - love/hate relationship!  I had been replacing some flour things with corn but even that isn't the best.  Best is to stop it.  I have a friend who's daughter has celiac disease and cutting gluten is definitely part of the benefit for everyone.

I have to bring my reading glasses for the labels!  Wearing multifocal contacts reduces my near vision.  Maybe I will just wear a magnifying glass around my neck!

Archived