Can I add rules after the Whole30 has started?

I am on day four and today I definitely ate fruit and nuts that weren't because I was hungry necessarily but because I had a craving after lunch. I have a few questions here:

1) Since part of Whole30 is to keep habits in check, am I still compliant if this happens during a Whole 30? I didn't eat anything that wasn't compliant but my behaviors weren't in the spirit of Whole30, do I have to start over or can I just learn from this and move on within my current 30 days?

2) Can I impose new rules on myself in the middle of day 4? I think I want to say no nuts/seeds unless they're in my salad and only 1-2 spoonfuls of nut butter a week and for fruit, I want to say only two servings of fruit a day at most, and unless it's banana a banana I really only want to eat farmer's market fruit.

I am really focusing on my habits with Whole30 so I want to do this right. Maybe an option could be for me to extend my Whole30 by 4 days and do a Whole34 since I've added these new rules? I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts / experiences with seeing your Sugar Dragon manifest in other ways, even if the food is technically compliant.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, alexgarcia26 said:

I am on day four and today I definitely ate fruit and nuts that weren't because I was hungry necessarily but because I had a craving after lunch. I have a few questions here:

1) Since part of Whole30 is to keep habits in check, am I still compliant if this happens during a Whole 30? I didn't eat anything that wasn't compliant but my behaviors weren't in the spirit of Whole30, do I have to start over or can I just learn from this and move on within my current 30 days?

2) Can I impose new rules on myself in the middle of day 4? I think I want to say no nuts/seeds unless they're in my salad and only 1-2 spoonfuls of nut butter a week and for fruit, I want to say only two servings of fruit a day at most, and unless it's banana a banana I really only want to eat farmer's market fruit.

I am really focusing on my habits with Whole30 so I want to do this right. Maybe an option could be for me to extend my Whole30 by 4 days and do a Whole34 since I've added these new rules? I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts / experiences with seeing your Sugar Dragon manifest in other ways, even if the food is technically compliant.

Yes, you can definitely impose your own rules/restrictions if you feel that nuts, nut butters or fruit are getting the better of you.  You still need to stay with the template, but you can definitely do the entire program without a lick of fruit or nut products :)

SugarCube, Lady Shanny and Shannon are doing a mighty fine job keeping this joint UP and running. I have no idea what happened to all of the other mods but they're clickin' and clackin' down this railroad track, keeping up with all of the questions. Doing more and more with less. :D

Alrighty then. You can lop off fruits and nuts for 30 days. Will you be lopping them off when 30 days are over...that is the question.

I'm a mule of a different color. I don't have gut or digestive issues with nuts. I don't have a problem with fruits. I've never been able to eat more than an apple in one sitting.

If I had dialed my foods down it would've backfired on me on Day 31. I had to create a way of eating that would be sustainable way beyond Day 30. So keep that in mind when you're tacking on additional rules.  I allowed myself the advantages and variety of everything on the shopping list. Mentally, that worked for me, me, me. Think voice warming exercises here.  But that might not work for you, you, you.

Archived