Oops... 2g of sugar :(

Hi Whole30 Fam,

Question for you- tonight I made chicken curry. Without thinking (I know... this is how it always starts...) I added 2 tsps of Sriracha to the sauce to make it a bit spicier. It wasn't until after I ate it that I discovered that there was added sugar in the Sriracha (ugh). Learned my lesson.

It's 1g of sugar/tsp, and I only ate 1/3 of the sauce. Does that small of a hiccup warrant a restart? 

• Moderators

Bummer!!!  You get to decide... read the article linked in my signature below called 'Do I have to start over' and that should help!

Don't forget, regardless of what you do, that you really need to read every label every time you use/buy a product... it gets to be second nature eventually!

30 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Bummer!!!  You get to decide... read the article linked in my signature below called 'Do I have to start over' and that should help!

Don't forget, regardless of what you do, that you really need to read every label every time you use/buy a product... it gets to be second nature eventually!

Thanks a bunch!

Would you mind helping me clarify? It says that, "...added sugar is unique in that it won’t disarm your “reset” button (and salad dressing isn’t likely to send you spiraling into sugar cravings), we can see a decision (especially on Day 28) to chalk it up to a learning experience and move on". Would this be one of those instances where the sugar consumption was so minimal that I could "chalk it up to a learning experience and move on"? Or since the added sugar wasn't natural like honey or maple syrup, does it not fall under the "learn and move on" category?

• Moderators

Do you feel like after eating the sugar that you want to go and wolf down a dozen donuts and a hot chocolate?  If you feel that it's not going to cause your sugar dragon to come alive, then yes, learning experience.  If you feel that by not starting over, you're giving yourself a free pass to let things slide here and there, or your sugar dragon is being a jerk now, then I would say start over.

It falls under the 'learn and move on' category as long as that's going to work for you... only you can know that :)  What do you think?

10 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Do you feel like after eating the sugar that you want to go and wolf down a dozen donuts and a hot chocolate?  If you feel that it's not going to cause your sugar dragon to come alive, then yes, learning experience.  If you feel that by not starting over, you're giving yourself a free pass to let things slide here and there, or your sugar dragon is being a jerk now, then I would say start over.

It falls under the 'learn and move on' category as long as that's going to work for you... only you can know that :)  What do you think?

That's great info! The incident has definitely not caused any sugar cravings, and I 100% am not using this as a free pass to let things slide here and there... in fact, the opposite! It's a slap in the face to be mindful and READ THE DANG LABEL.

I think I will continue on and use this as a major learning experience. Thank you for all the advice!

Archived