Gastroparesis

I am on day 9 of my Whole30 journey. Overall I am happy with the way my body feels. Unfortunately, I have a really severe case of gastroparesis that doctors have recommended a drastic approach. I am to eat only one "real" meal a day and I was to supplement with "drinking" 2 of my meals a day. I have to be on a low FIBER, low FAT diet. I also have a hard time eating too much meat because it is harder to digest. Vegetables are usually higher in fiber and mess with my stomach as well.

Too many vegetables and too much meat creates an issue with regularity. As you can imagine, FIBER assistance through supplements just compounds the problem as I usually just vomit afterwards. I'm looking for drinks and shakes that I can consume as meals that taste good so I can ENJOY my "meal" as I'm supposed to that will help with these issues but I am having a difficult time. I used to drink protein shakes for breakfast and/or lunch. I also used to use Nuun tablets to help with my energy levels since I wasn't "eating" until dinner. Can someone who has gastroparesis or similar issues help me here or point me in the right direction for resources?  I haven't gone off plan at all and am determined to finish my Whole30 completely compliant with the reintroduction weeks as well. Thank you in advance. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Marie, I, like you have severe gastroparesis and have been taking Dexilant for several years. I did a 10 detox leading up to beginning Whole 30.  I'm on day 6 and because of the Dexilant, I'm doing ok, but I can definitely feel some problems, ie: woke up last night with terrible cramping then this morning have been fighting not to vomit.  I ate blueberries last night and apparently, too many.  This process is very much trial and error.  I eat small meals with small snacks (like a hard boiled egg) in between. I've been cooking most of my vegetables, eating sweet potatoes and things that are easily digested. Also removing seeds and skins whenever possible. (I use an apple corer to make zoodles because it removes the skin) I'm eating more salmon, shredded chicken and ground turkey (I eat no red meat) and not so much chicken breasts, etc. I'm very cautious about fruit as it seems most of the allowable fruits are the very ones that contain the most seeds. I have eaten Kiwi, but core it so there are no seeds at all.  I have been using Senekot if I feel things are not "progressing" as they should - so far haven't used it too much. I do eat a lot of eggs to keep the protein going and I did make a delicious cauliflower asparagus soup which is pureed so it works well with the plan and my gut.  I am also determined to finish this program and remain compliant!  I'm reclaiming the life that gastroparesis has tried to claim!!   Do you have the Whole 30 book?  I have found some foods that I can eat, I just need to puree or cook them differently. I have also found some things on Pinterest, however many recipes say compliant but they aren't. Watch your ingredients.  The one struggle I do have is keeping my protein on point. It takes a lot of forethought and planning, but I think we can do this!  I'm feeling much better now after my episode this morning.  This is really rotten condition!

On 8/3/2017 at 11:23 AM, SMclaughlin said:

Hi Marie, I, like you have severe gastroparesis and have been taking Dexilant for several years. I did a 10 detox leading up to beginning Whole 30.  I'm on day 6 and because of the Dexilant, I'm doing ok, but I can definitely feel some problems, ie: woke up last night with terrible cramping then this morning have been fighting not to vomit.  I ate blueberries last night and apparently, too many.  This process is very much trial and error.  I eat small meals with small snacks (like a hard boiled egg) in between. I've been cooking most of my vegetables, eating sweet potatoes and things that are easily digested. Also removing seeds and skins whenever possible. (I use an apple corer to make zoodles because it removes the skin) I'm eating more salmon, shredded chicken and ground turkey (I eat no red meat) and not so much chicken breasts, etc. I'm very cautious about fruit as it seems most of the allowable fruits are the very ones that contain the most seeds. I have eaten Kiwi, but core it so there are no seeds at all.  I have been using Senekot if I feel things are not "progressing" as they should - so far haven't used it too much. I do eat a lot of eggs to keep the protein going and I did make a delicious cauliflower asparagus soup which is pureed so it works well with the plan and my gut.  I am also determined to finish this program and remain compliant!  I'm reclaiming the life that gastroparesis has tried to claim!!   Do you have the Whole 30 book?  I have found some foods that I can eat, I just need to puree or cook them differently. I have also found some things on Pinterest, however many recipes say compliant but they aren't. Watch your ingredients.  The one struggle I do have is keeping my protein on point. It takes a lot of forethought and planning, but I think we can do this!  I'm feeling much better now after my episode this morning.  This is really rotten condition!

Okay...so I just got back from vacation and needless to say I was not W30 compliant AT ALL the ENTIRE time.  Noticed a complete shift in how my stomach and body felt overall.  I started a new W30 yesterday and I already feel better than I did on Sunday.  I threw up 4 times during my vacation, but I couldn't seem to stop eating things that I KNEW were bad for my stomach.  I am hoping to reset my mind, body, and soul with this W30 round.  Thinking I might do 60-90 days to really get my mind and body right. 

It IS a REALLY rotten condition!  I know others have their own conditions and they are just as bad, but I sometimes wish there was more research on gastroparesis.  I wish there was at least a consistent plan of attack for those of us with this issue.  I have had conflicting information from doctors and nutritionists over the last 15 years since I was diagnosed.  Seems to me there are more and more people being diagnosed with gastroparesis. 

Someone suggested Natural Calm on another thread of this forum for when I have "regularity" issues and let me tell you...it works!  Too much and you will pay for it though, so I am taking only about .5 tbsp at night if I have issues and about .25 tbsp in the morning until I find relief.  I don't want to use it all the time because I don't want my body dependent on it, but I know during the next 30 days, it will be needed.

I too have a hard time with protein because meats are a little harder on the tummy (as are nuts).  Fish and chicken are my main sources as I get further into my 30 days, but I keep a little red meat in my diet in the beginning to keep from falling into the food boredom trap towards the end.  I don't eat any raw vegetables and my fruit intake is minimal (apples and cherries are my only downfalls usually).  My main problem with protein is that I HATE eggs!  I can't stand the smell of them and the taste sends me straight to the bathroom.  I have tried MANY times over the years to eat them (omelettes, scrambled, poached, fried, etc) and I cannot stomach them.  I get violently ill, so I am thinking I may have a bigger issue with them than just not liking them.  I have had eggs in small doses in things like cakes and stuff, but I tend to steer clear of things containing eggs for that reason.  Makes W30 a little harder without eggs in it.

Not sure if you are participating in a W30 at this time, but if you are...Good Luck!  Keep in touch with things that work and things that don't and I will do the same.

Archived