How can I order in an Indian restaurant?

ModusTollens

I'm going out to eat with about 6-8 people at an Indian restaurant. I'll be with my partner who knows that I'm doing the whole30, but typically people order a number of dishes to share (this is a weekly dinner). I think as long as I have at least one dish I can eat I'll do alright; I'm fine with just avoiding all the starch (nan, rice, papadums, etc) but I'm not sure how to order. First I thought I could go with tandoori chicken, but that's typically prepared with yogurt so a no-go. Without dairy or legumes this is going to be difficult. Any suggestions?

I imagine things vary quite a bit restaurant to restaurant so be prepared to ask a lot of questions. You might luck out with some kind of kebabs or grilled meats. As a side I typically get gobi aloo (which is cauliflower and potatoes in a curry sauce) and ask for cauliflower only.

• Moderators

I eat in an Indian restaurant frequently and am not sure anything on the buffet is Whole30-complaint. Most sauces are prepared with yogurt, butter, or sugar. However, I complained about the butter chicken not being good one day and the owner had the chef prepare me a new order that was better. And the turn-around time was quick. Your restaurant may be able to prepare some chicken or goat without sauces. My guess is that they have some roasted meats prepared that they then dress with sauces to serve.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't tried Indian foods but I heard that you should avoid anything that has Buttery, Makhani, Shahi, Mughalai, Korma, Pasanda.Most of the Dal, Cholay, and Rajma are acceptable with the exception Dal which have Buttery (Makhani), or Korma.I hope it helps.

Dal/Dahl is based on lentils so not acceptable.

Dal/Dahl is based on lentils so not acceptable.

And is Cholay not chickpeas? Also not acceptable. As far as I'm aware, Rajma is made with kidney beans. So basically none of thse would be acceptable on a W30 or any paleo lifestyle for that matter.

• 1 month later...

Can you get eggplant Bhuna? At my favourite Indian place the Bhuna is just eggplant, ghee, tomato and spice. And it's delicious.

I also had a Chicken Tikka Masala on my last Whole30 but now I'm having a duh moment in realizing the chicken was likely marinated in yogurt.

If it's a small place you'd likely have success in just talking to them, explaining that you have a dairy, gluten and legume intolerance and ask if they could make you a veggie and meat curry.

I've had decent luck asking indian places if any of their dishes are dairy-free.

That seems like a good strategy, as it's something restaurants probably hear frequently. Also, I like Johnny M's thing of asking for aloo ghobi without potatoes.

Archived