Vitamin Deficiencies?

Since I have started whole 30, I have lost 11 pounds, I feel fine and love this diet.   However, I have developed gout, angular cheilitis, my nails are breaking and my hair is falling out.  I have backed down on my red meat and tuna to help with the gout.  I am eating plenty of calories.  Any suggestions? 

• Moderators

These things are things you probably need to see a doctor about. The angular cheilitis sounds like something that may not go away on its own, and they definitely need to rule out any major underlying causes of the hair loss and nail issues, such as thyroid problems. These things are just not something we can help you diagnose or treat, since none of us are doctors.

That said, if you want to continue whole30, I'd suggest listing out a couple of day's worth of meals, including approximate serving sizes and specific vegetables you've eaten, how much water you drink, whether or not you exercise and if so what you're doing for pre- and post-workout meals, so we can make sure you're on the right track. I don't know what you mean by eating adequate calories, whole30 doesn't pay attention to that, we ask you to follow the meal template, which is linked in my signature below.

• Administrators

What day are you on? There is nothing about eating protein, vegetables and good-fat sources that would give you these sorts of side effects. As Shannon said above, post out your meals so we can see what you've been doing. Maybe if you were eating nothing but steak and tuna for every meal to the exclusion of all other nutrients for weeks on end I could see this happening. But a variety of proteins, lots of veggies and some healthy fats aren't going to do this to you.

Archived