breastfeeding + major fat restrictions

I am on Day 2 of Whole 30 and am having a rough time! I am not eating enough food in the day to stay full & healthy, so this morning I woke up nauseous, weak and exhausted because I have a 9 month old breastfeeding all night! During my last two pregnancies I had full-blown gall bladder attacks, so I am extremely careful about the amount of fat I eat (even the healthy kind!) I avoid beef and pork entirely and I limit my oils, nuts, avocados and other healthy fat.  Please help me find foods I can eat to keep me full, give me calories and are actually desirable!!

• Administrators

Chicken, salmon, shellfish, tuna, egg whites for protein. Tonnes of veggies. And...........fat is what is going to keep you satisfied. I can't counsel on how much fat someone with your history can or cannot eat. Just know that if you were to follow the meal template, it would ask for 1 thumb (around a tbsp) of dense fat (ghee, oil, mayo) per meal. I don't know if that's a lot or not a lot for someone with gallbladder issues.

Do you have some sort of limit in the volume that you can eat? Are you adding any fat at all? With your available protein sources and unlimited veggies and some fruits, you could do reasonably well and not be completely starved. How much are you actually eating? Olives and avocado are less dense sources of fat. Again though, I'm not versed on what is or is not OK for folks with gallbladder issues.

• 2 months later...

If you are intent on not having your gallbladder removed it might be helpful for you to work with a naturopath and/or paleo-friendly RD to understand how the body digests different types of fats and find ways to aid your digestion of fats, such as bile salt supplements, etc. There is a school of thought that avoiding fats allows the bile to sit in the gallbladder longer and concentrate more, thus actually increasing the risk of developing stones. But if the stones are already large enough to cause full blown attacks I'm not sure what the best non-invasive approach is. 

Honestly, I never looked into alternatives much myself. When I had a full blown gallbladder attack back in 2009 I had not yet made much of an effort to take control of my health, therefore I did not question the doctor's recommendation that I have it removed immediately. So I did. Fortunately, although there was an adjustment period after, for the past several years I can eat any amount of any kind of fat without a problem. I'm not necessarily suggesting this is the right solution for you or anyone in particular, but I thought it worthwhile to share that it has worked out well for me. 

Archived