Estrogen Deficiency + year-long amenorrhea

laodamaren

Hi all

I'm very familiar with Paleo and W30, been 'paleo-ish' for about 3-4 years after a serious health crisis (10 months not able to go to school or leave the house)

Now, my problems have largely subsided. I have been taking bio-identical thyroid hormone for 3 years as it seems my thyroid does not pick back up its functions when it needs to if we try and lower the dose.
But, at only 20 years old, I have not had my period in a year and 4 months. My lab tests show a huge estrogen deficiency, which probably explains my massive hunger even when I'm nourished as well as symptoms of depression, anxiety, non-existent sex drive and overly dry eyes (and down there).
I'm discussing with my doctor whether taking estrogen is an option, because it seems to be a more deeply rooted problem give that my thyroid is also not functioning how it should and because I am virtually not making any stomach acid, so we're exploring somewhat more 'deeper' solutions.
What gives? Any advice you would have food-wise (the web is fuuuuuull of contradictions and quite frankly, there is way more information about estrogen dominance than about deficiency)
Some extra background: don't do a lot of intense sports, mainly hatha/ashtanga yoga for 1h every day and walking. I take vitamin D and zinc because I have known deficiencies and krill oil for extra omega-3. I also take stomach acid and digestive enzymes to help me with my meals, because I have a tendency towards not digesting anything.
Has anyone experienced any of this? Solved amenorrhea at a young age?

Thank you in advance :)
In good health!
Andrea

• Administrators

Hi @laodamaren - we cannot give advice on complicated medical issues such as yours. The meal template and food recommendations are the basis of the program but aside from helping a person go through the program as written, we do not provide nutritional or medical counselling to the degree that you are requesting it. No one here is trained to do so nor are we permitted to.

You may try and find a functional medicine doctor as they tend to be able to better counsel on medical issues alongside lifestyle ones.

1 hour ago, ladyshanny said:

Hi @laodamaren - we cannot give advice on complicated medical issues such as yours. The meal template and food recommendations are the basis of the program but aside from helping a person go through the program as written, we do not provide nutritional or medical counselling to the degree that you are requesting it. No one here is trained to do so nor are we permitted to.

You may try and find a functional medicine doctor as they tend to be able to better counsel on medical issues alongside lifestyle ones.

Hi @ladyshanny
Thank you for your response. I realise it is too complicated to solve with 'eating healthy' alone, but I was mainly wondering whether there has been some (empirical) experience with other women specifically who found that something, whether it is eating more/less (Starchy) carbs or protein or fats or ditching nuts or not exercising too much or ... helped them with raising estrogen levels during a W30. Thank you again :)

Archived