Whole 10/Whole 30 Log - Jul 10 - Aug 19

jpreeves

I'm doing a slightly modified arrangement of the Whole30. I started on July 10th, and am going to consciously break on July 20th for a birthday dinner with my parents. I am not going to drink alcohol or order foods that are totally non-compliant. However, the restaurant almost surely uses non-approved oils, sweeteners etc. in all their dishes — and I may take a bite or two of the rice dishes (although I'm going to take steps to avoid the "what the hell" effect.) 

I'll count this as a reset for the counter, and begin the "true" 30 days on July 21. So, Jul 10-20 are effectively a ten day warmup. 

Alright, let's do this!

A few notes on my challenge:

• I lift weights 3x week (Stronglifts 5x5), I do yoga 2x week, and I walk between 10-20k steps per day, so my calorie and carb needs run higher.
  • My primary goals:
    • Healthier relationship with food. Use the reset as a springboard into mindful reintroduction of foods I'm pretty sure work for me (rice, oats, lentils) and a more healthful approach towards eating treats. Previous attempts at "eating healthy" have resulted in an unhealthy dichotomy between good food and bad food, and some emotional attachments to junk food (seeing it as a reward to be anticipated). 
    • Eat mindfully. My habit is to inhale food in front of a computer or a TV — no good! For this challenge, I'm either eating my meal with nothing in front of me, or reading. Chewing every bite multiple times, focusing on the taste and texture, and setting the fork down in between bites. 
    • Get to know when I'm actually hungry. I've always followed the "eat every 2-3 hours program," but this has definitely distanced me from my body's natural rhythms and hormonal signals. My goal for the W30 is to continually ask "Am I hungry?" before eating, and be authentic about the answer. 
    • Make it all about me. I'm thinking of this as a "Me 30" — I don't HAVE to do it, I GET to do it.
      • I GET to eat all this delicious food!
      • I GET to nourish myself!
      • I GET to mindfully savor each bite! Hooray for me!
  • I've known about W30 for years, and done it before, but recently I read "Food Freedom Forever" which has significantly changed my entire mindset around eating. 

"Super salad" is my standard work lunch:

• Organic spinach, arugula or spring mix
  • Broccoli or cauliflower
  • Onions
  • Pickles
  • Slivered almonds
  • Dried cranberries
  • Protein (change out by the day)
  • EVOO & balsamic vinegar

Here are the last few days of the challenge, from memory

Jul 10:

• Meal 1: Grassfed ground beef, salsa, guacamole, broccoli
  • Meal 2: Super salad with chicken and a tbsp of Primal Kitchen avocado mayo
  • Meal 3: I forgot, but it was W30 compliant...

Jul 11:

• Meal 1: Grassfed ground beef, salsa, guacamole, broccoli
  • Meal 2: Super salad + chicken
  • Meal 3: Wild-caught salmon, coconut milk, curry paste, fried cauliflower rice, pineapple

Jul 12:

• Meal 1: Diced chicken, salsa, guacamole, broccoli
  • Meal 2: Super salad + chicken
  • Meal 3: Wild-caught salmon, coconut milk, curry paste, fried cauliflower rice, pineapple

Jul 13:

• Meal 1: Diced chicken sausage, salsa, guacamole, string beans
  • Meal 2: Super salad + grassfed beef
  • Meal 3: Butternut squash noodles, chicken breast, onions, cherry tomatoes, olive oil

July 14th

Today's where the first real craving hit. I'm making a nice dinner and it would be really great to have a couple glasses of wine to go with it. But so it goes. 

Forgot to mention that I have a protein shake every morning. Protein shakes aren't heartily endorsed by W30, but I really need the extra protein, and I figure it's compliant and I'm sipping it mindfully with a Real Food breakfast. 

Protein shake ingredients:

• Water
  • Julian Bakery Paleo Protein unflavored (Only ingredient: egg white protein)
  • 1 tsp creatine
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 scoop super greens powder (unflavored)
  • 1 scoop hydrolized collagen + peptides powder (unflavored)
  • 1 tbsp MCT oil
  • A few spoonfuls of organic cacao and Saigon cinnamon, for taste

• Meal 1: Grass-fed beef, green beans, salsa, guacamole, the aforementioned protein shake
  • Meal 2: Super salad with wild-caught salmon and a tbsp of Primal Kitchen avocado mayo
  • Meal 3: Butternut squash noodles, chicken, onions, garlic, pineapple, roasted red pepper and parsley

July 15th. Smooth sailing so far. 

• Meal 1: Protein shake. Half of a six-egg scramble with spinach, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, red pepper. Green tea. 
  • Meal 2: Rest of the egg scramble with some grass-fed ground beef
  • Yoga
  • Meal 3: Chopped chicken breast with salsa, guacamole and string beans, and a sweet potato
  • Meal 4: Baked whitefish and grilled vegetables

July 16.

• Meal 1: Protein shake. Ground beef with spinach, red pepper, mushrooms and balsamic vinegar
  • Weightlifting
  • Meal 2: Sardines with garlic, cilantro and dijon mustard, roasted sweet potato
  • Meal 3: Curry: Grilled chicken, onions, pineapple, green pepper, coconut milk, chicken broth, cilantro, served over butternut squash noodles

July 17. 

Meal 1: Grassfed ground beef, a really awesome slaw (cabbage, lemon/lime juice, herbs)

Meal 2: Grilled salmon topped with a little avocado mayo, cauliflower rice, more slaw

Meal 3: Same curry as last night, but over cauliflower rice instead of squash noodles 

July 18. Got a little knocked off my game today. I didn't really eat breakfast, forgot to make a lunch, and had to work late, so had to buy dinner too. Still — kept it compliant. 

Meal 1: Protein shake (at home), 4 hardboiled eggs (at work)

Meal 2: Roast chicken and a few potato wedges from a deli, combined with some spinach and cauliflower rice I had in the freezer at work. Topped with a little Primal Kitchen avocado mayo and balsamic. 

Meal 3: Aidell's chicken sausage, olives, broccoli, olive oil. 

Sorry! I've been behind in updating this. 

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to stay compliant on my birthday. I didn't go nuts, but I had a few cocktails and some other non-compliant goodies. 

This was planned for in my timeline, so I consider 7/21 the "official" start of my Whole30. (The last 10 days were warmup). 

As of today, I've been 100% compliant, although not so good on the log. I had plenty of temptations over the weekend (cookouts, birthday celebrations etc.) and never strayed — so I'm feeling really good! 

Will be uploading some of my meals this evening. 

Archived