Day 24 and no energy/lightheaded/stomach issues

Today is day 24 of my first round.  I've struggled with energy the entire time, and felt lightheaded around days 9-10, and again recently, where I get dizzy when I stand up.  The past 3 days I've had digestive issues after exercising (running 2 miles) and I'm not sure why (i.e. running to the bathroom with stomach cramps, and you can figure out the rest).  Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!  I added in more starch recently, but it hasn't helped.  I drink two full glasses of water before each meal.  Here's a typical day:

Meal 1: 3 or 4 eggs scrambled in ghee with green peppers and ground turkey, with mashed sweet potatoes.

Pre-workout snack:  Not every day, but either 1-2 hardboiled eggs or some deli turkey and cashews

Post-workout snack (not every day):  banana and/or turkey

Meal 2:  Protein Salad (Whole30 mayo, chicken (marinated in Tessemae's lemon garlic and grilled), grapes, and apples) with 1/2 avocado and cashews, on top of salad greens

Meal 3:  Paleo/Whole 30 Meatloaf, broccoli, sweet potatoes

Sometimes if I'm hungry between meals, I'll eat an Rx bar, a banana, and/or some cashews.  

• Moderators

Your meals look okay, although you don't really mention portion sizes -- be sure you're getting 1-2 palm sized portions of protein at each meal.

For the digestive issues, have you eaten anything different recently that might not be agreeing with you? Or might you have picked up a stomach bug? 

I don't really see any big issues with your meals. Post-wo you might replace the banana with a starchy vegetable like potato, sweet potato, winter squash, or root vegetables. 

If you're hungry between meals, you'd be better off having a mini meal of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three, rather than fruit and nuts. I don't know how much difference that would really make, though.

Are you salting your food? Drinking at least half an ounce of water per pound of body weight (So if you weigh 120 lbs, at least 60 oz)? And for the water, while you're having digestive issues, you may need more water than usual to prevent dehydration.

Honestly, I think if this continues, you should talk to a doctor. It may be nothing, but the dizziness is something you really want to get checked, just to rule out blood pressure issues or any other serious issue that may not resolve on its own. 

Thanks, Shannon!  I know I get 1-2 palm size servings of chicken at lunch, but I could probably eat a bigger serving at dinner.  I haven't been adding salt to my food, but that's a great idea.  I'll try that, along with drinking extra water, and see how I feel.

I didn't respond to part of your response.  I don't think I've picked up a stomach bug.  My digestion hasn't been great throughout the Whole30.  It got better after days 10-11, but is back to how it was.  I just thought of something - I started taking more magnesium (I take Doctors Best - it recommends 2 pills twice per day). Up until a few days ago I was only taking 2 pills each night, but I've started also taking 2 in the morning as well... maybe that's it?  I know magnesium can act as a laxative.

I'm also not sleeping well (forgot to mention that in my original post).  Honestly, I don't know what I'm doing wrong! 

• Moderators

If you're eating a whole lot more eggs now than you did before (or a whole lot more of anything, really -- a lot of people suddenly have a lot of coconut they wouldn't normally, or they find they're eating a ton of peppers and onions where they wouldn't have before), it's possible you hit a point where your body just isn't tolerating them any more. Try cutting them out for a while and see if you notice a difference. If that is what it is, it doesn't necessarily mean you can't ever have eggs again, but you'll need to pay attention to how many you can have in a certain period of time before you start having issues.

14 minutes ago, berry straw said:

I vote for the magnesium causing the stomach distress.  It would with me.  I would back off your dosage a bit and see if that helps.

That seems to have fixed it!  I didn't take any this morning and my stomach was fine, even after working out.  Thank goodness - I wasn't sure what I was going to eat for breakfast without eggs!

Salting my food seems to have helped with some of th lightheadedness too.

Archived