Newbie... Sort of... needs support :)

KRose

Hey there!

I'm not exactly sure how forums really work (I'm sort of computer illiterate) but I know that I need to do this, find support, and support others. I hope this is how to do it, if not please let me know I will go about this in another way.

Currently I'm on day 5 of my 4th or 5th Whole30 (over the course of 2 years) but I have never, ever been able to complete the entire 30 days (hence why support is my weak link). I have done Paleo challenges, even won one, so I have recipes and blogs up the wazoo, but my circle of friends don't get this dietary/lifestyle.

This summer I really turned inward and reflected on my life choices and realized I have an exteremly unhealthy relationship with food. I even was involved in an annonymous group for compulsive eaters. I have since left the group (the meetings became my new addiction) and I am now looking for a healthy relationship with food, food as fuel, not comfort or emotional replacement. The one amazing thing I did take away from the group and self reflection is that having the right people in my life, and being in others lives, helps in countless ways.

Hopefully we can create a trusted, active support system, in a way that benefits all those in need. so if you need someone, I'm here. I may not have all the answers, or even a clue, but I want to support you in this journey that I know we both will get through (with smiles on our faces no less :))

Thanks for reading!!

PS. Not only do I have issues with food, but also with depression, sleep (the two are definately related), and exercise... so all comments, questions, and concerns are welcomed :)

Sleeping 6-7 hours in a stretch was my favorite "side effect" of my Whole30. I had terrible insomnia before. And post-30, I can definitely tell what triggers a bad night of sleep. Sort of cool to know, and make a conscious decision "I know if I have X tonight, I prob won't sleep well, (but I want it anyway) (or) (so I'm gonna pass bc I really want a good night of sleep)."

Welcome to the forum, it's a really great support system and I think you'll find it really helpful.

In talking about your past challenges, you didn't mention if you'd read the book, It Starts With Food. I was lucky enough to read it and then tackle my first Whole30 and I think that having it there to consult really helped. And I kept it in my kitchen as a visual reminder of my goals. Also, the blogs are great reading and there are tons to read.

Do you use email? I really loved the daily emails I signed up for during my Whole30. They're chock full of more information and just really great encouragement and coping skills. Plus you click an I did it button at the end of the day. Which sounds silly but was really helpful in staying on track.

I didn't really have problems with depression, but my sister did the Whole30 with me and she's dealt with those issues in the past and saw huge improvements in her mood since doing and sticking with the Whole30 principles. I found that my own mood just improved greatly with a cleaner diet, and I didn't really think my mood was even poor before.

I did have problems sleeping before and also have seen huge improvements. More nights than not I'm able to sleep well for about 8-9 hours and wake feeling rested and ready to go. For years, I just thought I was a bad sleeper (turns out I was just eating bad food and am really good at sleeping:)

Best wishes.

Welcome!! The people on this site are so wonderful. You'll love it. We have moderators that keep us dialed in to the correct answers to our questions, so no guess work necessary(even on the rare occasion when they disagree with each other..it's fun to choose the answer you want :) ). EVERYONE here is nothing but supportive and you will start to forge internet friendships with people who you really relate to and that is when the support becomes really strong!

Don't hesitate to ask any questions and read It Starts With Food if you haven't already. :)

@Ginsinnot- I bought the book as an Ebook (on my iPhone) which I dont really like to read on, but I have it with me at all times in case I need answers or sray a bit. But I have also read the Paleo Solution numberous times, like I said, eating this way isn't new to me, I just dont normally like to do it lol And yes i signed up for the emails, I get excited every morning when theyre waiting for me, and you're right, pressing that button at the end of the day is fun!! :)

@slw600-Thanks! I just havent quite ventured far enough I think... I'm not computer savey, in fact today I sat at the computer for an entire hour and HATED it (back cramped up, tight shoulders) so I need to actually find a fun and comfortable way to browse around. I'm looking forward to the support!

As for me day 6 is in the bag :) Can't wait til tomorrow when I can say I finished my first week!

Ever listen to the Robb Wolf's paleo podcasts on iTunes? Love those, and there's like 100+ to listen to. There's quite the mix of more advanced/detailed questions and more like beginner/support information. Plus, they're pretty hilarious at times. I found Whole9 through those podcasts not too long ago. And am so very thankful I did!

I kind of immersed myself in the podcasts and here on the forum and think that really helped with staying on the path.

You said you don't "normally like to do it", is there something specific? Maybe if you can find others on the forum that share a specific issue, it would help to see the suggestions and tips they've found for dealing?

Welcome KRose!

This is a great place for support! I look forward to checking in here and seeing what people have to say! So far I've found nothing but support and answers to everything I've needed! I'm sure you'll find the same!

Be proud at the end of the day when you can hit the "I did it! Another day in the bank..." button on those emails!

I've always been a stress/coping skills eater (funny todays email was exactly about that!) So it is a transition not to have a glass of wine after a rough day, or cookies because "I deserve it."

I look forward to hearing about you experience on this journey and the wisdom your experiences will bring you!

Good luck and again welcome!

@dimi- Hi there. Foodwise Im doing amazingly well. No real cravings to speak of. I even ate out yesterday for the first time and it wasnt even hard. my emotions are getting the better of me tho. For some reason I have falled into a stage of depression these last two days. I dont know whats going on.

Hows your W30 going??

Archived