Trader Joe's NEW Mocha Nut Cold Brew

cygnecooper

I got SO excited when I saw an Instagram post from Trader Joes releasing a vegan, organic Cold Brew made with nut milk & sweetened with dates. I was even more excited when I found them fully stocked on my trip to my local Trader Joe's, however after reading the ingredients list, I saw "Cultured Dextrose (for Freshness)". After a little research, it seems as if the cultured dextrose is a fermented food product used to preserve the ingredients in the nut milk from growing bacteria. However, it has the word 'dextrose' (aka SUGAR) in it... Is this like a kombucha situation or just a no-no as a whole?

• Moderators

Ya, so dextrose is out... but moreover, the whole product is not really compliant... you're not allowed to make your own creamer from nut milk and dates so buying something that's sweetened with dates like this would be a big no.  Sounds like it would be a nice treat for after your Whole30 but is definitely not in the spirit of the Whole30.  

And just to address if anyone asks why it's different than Kombucha... even if that dextrose is fermented and eaten up by the product, it doesn't really compare to Kombucha.  Remember in the Whole30 we ask ourselves if a food is making us more or less healthy... Kombucha has healthful properties... this item doesn't... so on all fronts, nope...

Archived