Start Date- July 23

coffeelover

Anyone else with kids that find it hard not to finish what's left on their plate? This is one of my bad habits I need to fix. We always go by... Eat until your belly is full and then you're done. I'm not a fan of the "clean plater" rule but we do talk about portions and not putting too much on your plate. There's not a whole plate of food they leave or anything so it's not something I thought about until this plan. It's that last bite of pizza crust that's left or the last bit of milk from cereal... Those kids of things. I have more bad habits to break than I thought! I grew up with my depression era grandmother and after hearing those stories I have always felt guilty throwing anything away.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, criden said:

Anyone else with kids that find it hard not to finish what's left on their plate? This is one of my bad habits I need to fix. We always go by... Eat until your belly is full and then you're done. I'm not a fan of the "clean plater" rule but we do talk about portions and not putting too much on your plate. There's not a whole plate of food they leave or anything so it's not something I thought about until this plan. It's that last bite of pizza crust that's left or the last bit of milk from cereal... Those kids of things. I have more bad habits to break than I thought! I grew up with my depression era grandmother and after hearing those stories I have always felt guilty throwing anything away.

You are not a food disposal system... I get the depression era folks but you eating that pizza crust is not actually going to change anything for you from one meal to the next... they ate the pizza crust because they didn't have enough food to get by... we have ABUNDANT food available... so there's no value in you eating it in place of throwing it out...

It might help if you compost or find a place to compost?  I don't like to throw food out either but when it has to go, I feel better composting it than filling the trash bag...

2 hours ago, criden said:

Anyone else with kids that find it hard not to finish what's left on their plate? This is one of my bad habits I need to fix. 

I totally understand where you're coming from here! My kids are grown now but looking back, I know I often ate the equivalent of two dinners between my own heaping plate, and eating their scraps so as not to waste them. At the time, I didn't see that for the bad habit (and excuse to overeat) that it was. Kids are lucky in that they don't have these bad habits yet. They are in tune with their bodies and know when to stop eating. Once we lose that, it's so hard to get it back. But hopefully Whole30 can help us break those patterns and be more like our kids, enjoying the fuel we need and not overfilling our tanks. 

SweetEnough... Yes! This whole 30 journey has already brought to light alot of my bad habits. I agree with what you said about the kids. That's why I don't like the "clean plater" rule. Guess I need to take my own advice:) I have started actually making my own plate and sitting to eat a whole meal of my own instead of waiting to see what the kids have left so that's definitely a positive change from something that I didn't see as a problem before this. Thank you for the support!

SugarcubeOD... Thank you for the food disposal system picture in my head. It made me laugh and is something I will think of next time I have an urge to finish their plate:)

How is everyone so far? Today has been a setback for me in that I haven't eaten on schedule. It's been that kind of day. The bad part is that I have a good supply prepped but this is the first day I've been faced with an off balance schedule. I'm learning where I've gone wrong so hopefully I'll get better at this. In all fairness, I still stuck to my no coffee before breakfast rule lol. I didn't even get my coffee this morning!

Hi everyone! I started on the 24th which means I'm on day 7! When I was 7 i was on a strict diet for a whole year due to hepatitis A; because of that I've never been on any type of diet/never eliminated anything from my diet, so reaching day 7 is a huge accomplishment. These past 7 days have made me fall in love with black coffee - it is the most delicious part of my day :) . I always thought I could never live without dairy but I find myself only craving sugar (and dreaming of eating cake).

Yesterday was the worst day for me so far in that I found myself constantly craving food but never actually figuring out exactly what it is I was craving. Thank goodness for a friend who is finishing round 2 next Sunday!

Today I had my first long run since on the Whole 30 (marathon training, 15 miles). I replaced the energy gels I usually take every 45 min-1 hour with some salted boiled potato wedges, and I had no problem finishing my run. Usually on long runs I crave various things that I don't normally eat (donuts, McFries) as well as beer. Surprisingly (or not?) I didn't have any cravings today. 

One of the reasons I wanted to do the Whole 30 is that for the past couple of months I've felt bloated and have put on a few pounds, despite eating the same as always and running a lot. I'm short, so even if it's just a few pounds the extra weight goes to my stomach, chin/face, and back. This morning I woke up without feeling like I have a double chin, and without feeling uncomfortable because of back fat. My stomach looks the same, but if feeling like this is a preview of the next few weeks, I'll gladly take it!  

Dinner tonight will be buffalo chicken casserole with bell peppers but it's almost 6:30 and I'm still full from lunch. 

Hope everyone is doing well and feeling better by now! 

Archived