August 7th Start Date

MarieC1978

8 minutes ago, Raeman586 said:

Anyone else not yet in the 'tiger blood' stage? My husband and I are on day 15 of our first Whole30 and our energy levels are not up to where we thought they'd be at this point. Also, cravings seem to be worse now than earlier in the programme. 

Hi.  I'm on Day 15 as well.  No 'tiger blood' for me yet either!  Still kind of sleepy.  I am finally sleeping better, not waking up at 4:00 am, but still only getting about 6-7 hours/night (normal).  I had cravings yesterday, but I knew they were more mental.  I saw donuts, cheese & meat... otherwise the cravings aren't really there.  I'm hoping the tiger blood will come in a bit?

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, invinciblechar said:

In a nutshell, what @SugarcubeOD said. But I wanted to add a caveat about the post-workout carb part: it varies depending on your health status, the duration of the activity, and the intensity of the activity. Even though I do some intense workouts at the gym, that part is usually only about 5-20 minutes tops, while the rest is less metabolically challenging. I am also starting out from a place where I'm trying to get my health/nutrition/body composition back on track, so I leave out the carbs and just eat protein. Typically, I have 2 hard-boiled eggs and a small handful of cashews pre (about half and hour to an hour before), and a piece of chicken (meal-sized) immediately after. 

You can get a free tabata app for your phone to count out intervals of work/rest to help you get through a quick but high-intensity workout at home using the tools you just picked up and/or bodyweight (hello, burpees and jump squats!!!). Happy sweating! :)

Perfect!!! The hard boiled eggs and nuts is right up my alley actually. I can also, handle doing the chicken, turkey or pork even for the post. This way by the time I'm showered and ready for work I can prepare my breakfast and just take it to work and eat it. I have a feeling that it will take me a bit to acclimate to basically eating twice in the morning. So this will have to be a slow transition for me. As it took me until nearly now to eat breakfast without feeling like puking lol. 

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Kdog777 said:

Perfect!!! The hard boiled eggs and nuts is right up my alley actually. I can also, handle doing the chicken, turkey or pork even for the post. This way by the time I'm showered and ready for work I can prepare my breakfast and just take it to work and eat it. I have a feeling that it will take me a bit to acclimate to basically eating twice in the morning. So this will have to be a slow transition for me. As it took me until nearly now to eat breakfast without feeling like puking lol. 

You may want to reconsider nuts - they can be very difficult to digest at the best of times, especially so on an empty stomach and are recommended to be limited (think a closed handful every other day at most... that's only about 5-6 almonds and even every other day is pushing it).

On 8/18/2017 at 7:08 AM, Kdog777 said:

I've been smoking off and on since I was 17 years old unfortunately. I've quit a few times and the longest stretch was 3 years. However, when I did quit it was for different reasons. This time I truly just want to stop. So I'm hoping that this time its forever!!! But, I'm taking it one day at a time for now. 

Morning all!!! Day 16!!! Feeling good. I'm not quite in that "tiger blood" that everyone is talking about but, I'm being patient. I definitely sleep better (huge deal for me). I haven't noticed that I've lost any weight, but, that was never my reason for doing this program. My cravings are also under control. I don't even get the urge to smoke like I did when I started. I'm not saying I don't think about it but, I don't feel that I need it anymore. I know the hump isn't over for me but, I do love the program, the food, and all of you!! 

Congratulations to us all for making it this far!!! Let's keep it going and before we know it day 30!!!!

Oh crap. I just remembered that I had a dream last night where I ate a huge slice of deep dish pizza (weird because I prefer thin crust). Afterward, ONLY afterward, I realized I would have to begin the Whole30 all over again even though I was halfway through this round, and then I was so sad and upset with myself. I'm so glad THAT was only a dream/nightmare!

Hi all! So I'm back from vacation to Canada, and I did it! Well, I did the best I could. I did not cheat!! I even helped make all the dinners.... and most were sugary... like ham. We had dessert for every meal (? Really don't like that anymore), and I drank a glass of water. I need to find some compliant snacks, the Rx bars work, but I feel like I'm cheating and feeding the sugar dragon, so I'm not going to get them this grocery trip. Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm back, oh, and that yesterday's as the first day felt happy, like I could do this forever. Maybe the magic is happening?? Day 16 tomorrow... recipes to come soon! I'm working on trying to make them w30 compliant, and not sure I can...

Hi all! Checking in. You guys are doing awesome!  I'm having a challenge getting all my veggies in. Blech. Trying hard though!  Have not had any "tiger blood" yet, but am feeling better. Sleeping better.. no longer need my Advil PM to fall asleep and stay asleep.  I think one of my pairs of pants may be fitting soon.. either that or I'm trying them on so often I'm stretching them out :P .  Another victory: I'm breaking my habit of watching tv while eating. I'm full from dinner, so if I just ignore my mental craving for a bit, it passes. Day 16 down!  More than halfway.  Yay us!

Day 16 and no tiger blood! Today was almost as rough as the day after my 40th birthday. I had such low energy and was the most tempted to quit today that I've ever been. I feel like I spend all free time in the kitchen and some other details and tasks are starting to get missed. School is starting and I don't know if I'll be able to keep this up. I'm exhausted and so craving my coffee granitas and Mexican food. I'm pretty certain it was just a rough day and I'll be back at it again tomorrow. I was reminded by how ingrained old habits can be. I'm determined not to give up. Maybe it's a lack of drinking water. I haven't been drinking enough water. Whew this is not for wimps!

@SnappySue  Hang in there!!  We have to get through this for each other as well as our selves! ;)  I'm going to do a google search on more quick & easy recipes.. especially ones that make big batches!  I riced a lot of cauliflower last night, so I can throw that in as my veggies with whatever else I'm making...leftover carnitas, etc.  Sick of shopping and cooking too!  It's hard.  I think I shared this, but I'm a single mom, commute an hour to work each way, have the two kids starting school, (thank God my son's taking a break from football this year).  I'm always on the run, so prep is huge.  It's when I haven't pre-prepped that I find myself stuck or scrambling for food or ideas.  

11 hours ago, Karen L said:

Hi all! Checking in. You guys are doing awesome!  I'm having a challenge getting all my veggies in. Blech. Trying hard though!  Have not had any "tiger blood" yet, but am feeling better. Sleeping better.. no longer need my Advil PM to fall asleep and stay asleep.  I think one of my pairs of pants may be fitting soon.. either that or I'm trying them on so often I'm stretching them out :P .  Another victory: I'm breaking my habit of watching tv while eating. I'm full from dinner, so if I just ignore my mental craving for a bit, it passes. Day 16 down!  More than halfway.  Yay us!

Have you tried different ways of preparing veggies (roasted vs steamed) or adding sauces? I used to HATE broccoli because I was steaming it. As soon as I switched to roasting in the oven it became one of my favorite veggies! Sauces make a world of difference to :) 

3 minutes ago, racheleats said:

Have you tried different ways of preparing veggies (roasted vs steamed) or adding sauces? I used to HATE broccoli because I was steaming it. As soon as I switched to roasting in the oven it became one of my favorite veggies! Sauces make a world of difference to :) 

No, I actually haven't.. doing them all steamed, which could be a big difference.  I use sauces on the riced cauliflower more; it's really good at soaking them up!  I'll move to grilled and roasting in the oven.. zucchini, etc.  Thanks for the tip and prod! :) 

23 minutes ago, Karen L said:

No, I actually haven't.. doing them all steamed, which could be a big difference.  I use sauces on the riced cauliflower more; it's really good at soaking them up!  I'll move to grilled and roasting in the oven.. zucchini, etc.  Thanks for the tip and prod! :) 

Ohhhhh try roasting the veggies next time!! It seriously changes the flavor and texture so much. Just do a quick google search for each veggie type for the temp/time for cooking, but usually I just use olive oil salt and pepper and just keep an eye on them until they're the color I want. So easy!

22 hours ago, invinciblechar said:

Oh crap. I just remembered that I had a dream last night where I ate a huge slice of deep dish pizza (weird because I prefer thin crust). Afterward, ONLY afterward, I realized I would have to begin the Whole30 all over again even though I was halfway through this round, and then I was so sad and upset with myself. I'm so glad THAT was only a dream/nightmare!

Been there done that!!! LOL. Those are terrible as they feel so real!. Question for you all, I found some fruit in a cup that seems Whole30 compliant. But, before i try it I need to be sure. Here's the ingredients that seem ok. Please let me know what you all think. I don't want to ruin my program especially now that we are over half way done.

Peaches, White Grape Juice from Concentrate (Water, White Grape Juice Concentrate), Lemon Juice from Concentrate (Water, Lemon Juice Concentrate), Natural Flavors, Ascorbic Acid (To Promote Color Retention), and Citric Acid.

Hello Day 17 friends.  Sorry I haven't posted in a while.  Trust me, I've been in the kitchen or at Whole Foods or our food co-op shopping.  I share three thoughts with some of the recent posts  . . . 1.) I'm NOT giving up! 2.) I am sick of the kitchen . . . I feel like I'm in there all the time either chopping, prepping, cooking, or cleaning and then the cycle starts over.  And, I know folks are finding batch prepping works for them but I can't stomach the idea of even longer periods in the kitchen making even more food and giving up even more of the weekend. I'm not bitching (well, not really) but I do hope the food prep part gets easier.  And, 3.) not feeling the Tiger Blood yet.  I do have a number of positive changes but I have been living for that morning - or moment - when I feel it.  Like, really feel it.  Maybe I'm expecting too much.  

Anyway, I've missed you guys but I'm reading everything!!!  We're doing this!!!  I can honestly say we will.  Just now need some reasonable expectation that the work around this lifestyle gets easier the more familiar you get with the program.  

We need a Whole30 commune where we can go live with our families and share the cooking!  lol. 

1 hour ago, Sara Cameron-Ragazzo said:

Hello Day 17 friends.  Sorry I haven't posted in a while.  Trust me, I've been in the kitchen or at Whole Foods or our food co-op shopping.  I share three thoughts with some of the recent posts  . . . 1.) I'm NOT giving up! 2.) I am sick of the kitchen . . . I feel like I'm in there all the time either chopping, prepping, cooking, or cleaning and then the cycle starts over.  And, I know folks are finding batch prepping works for them but I can't stomach the idea of even longer periods in the kitchen making even more food and giving up even more of the weekend. I'm not bitching (well, not really) but I do hope the food prep part gets easier.  And, 3.) not feeling the Tiger Blood yet.  I do have a number of positive changes but I have been living for that morning - or moment - when I feel it.  Like, really feel it.  Maybe I'm expecting too much.  

Anyway, I've missed you guys but I'm reading everything!!!  We're doing this!!!  I can honestly say we will.  Just now need some reasonable expectation that the work around this lifestyle gets easier the more familiar you get with the program.  

We need a Whole30 commune where we can go live with our families and share the cooking!  lol. 

It definitely gets easier the more you're used to it. I did my first whole30 3 years ago and completely overhauled my habits and eating. You'll find what works best for you :) 

1 hour ago, Sara Cameron-Ragazzo said:

I'm with ya @Sara Cameron-Ragazzo!!! I'm not feeling the "tiger blood" either. I'm not noticing a change in my clothes, or energy levels even. I am sleeping better and still love the program but, am also waiting patiently. I'm not disappointed either just happy that I feel like I'm making a difference in my overall health. I guess we can say that as we have been told the program works differently for each person. I was a smoker, occasional bad eater and would have a glass of wine to unwind a night. I may need more time to get all those bad toxins out of my system. Which at least for me is well worth this wait. I gave up quite a few things all at once.  So maybe I need the extra time? But, all in all here we all are!!! Day 17!!!!!! What a feat for us all. I wish I could come over and help you prep @Sara Cameron-Ragazzo, lol. I really would do that for you. I'm used to being in the kitchen now so its like second nature. I did it even before the program. My husband wishes I wasn't in there as often and hanging with him more, lol. I'm working on it = )

3 minutes ago, racheleats said:

It definitely gets easier the more you're used to it. I did my first whole30 3 years ago and completely overhauled my habits and eating. You'll find what works best for you :) 

That's great to hear!  Just curious.. do you cook every day, or meal prep?  This third weekend of prep was definitely easier, because some things existed in my house and fridge already, but I still don't love cooking.  Well, I do when I have the time, but I don't like having to cook with limited time.  It's stressful.  I wish there were more grab & go choices.  Or frozen dinners that didn't have so much junk in them.  Even the healthy eats (before you put sauce on) coats their chicken in soy. 

33 minutes ago, Karen L said:

That's great to hear!  Just curious.. do you cook every day, or meal prep?  This third weekend of prep was definitely easier, because some things existed in my house and fridge already, but I still don't love cooking.  Well, I do when I have the time, but I don't like having to cook with limited time.  It's stressful.  I wish there were more grab & go choices.  Or frozen dinners that didn't have so much junk in them.  Even the healthy eats (before you put sauce on) coats their chicken in soy. 

I usually do about 3 hours of prep on Sunday, and make breakfast and lunch for myself and my fiancé for the work week. Usually that means I'm roasting up a bunch of veggies, cooking sausages, or making egg muffins etc. and probably something in the crock pot. In the summer, we grill a lot, it's really easy to cook up big batches of meat for the week that way. I keep it really simple for those meals - cook big batches of stuff and then mix and match with different salad greens and dressings. For dinner, I usually cook what we're having that night, again keeping it really simple. I don't usually cook recipes, just "ingredient meals" - think roasted veggies, potatoes and a pork chop with some kind of mayo based sauce for the fat. It also helps that neither of us mind repeating meals - I have the same breakfast and lunch throughout the week (for 5 days) and I'll switch it up week to week.

For more grab and go stuff, I usually buy pre packaged sausages/hot dogs, as those are cooked already and just need to be heated for when you're in a pinch. Throw some sweet potatoes on the oven racks between sheets and keep those handy in the fridge as a fast side for dinner.  Also, a crock pot or instant pot are a huge help if you have one. Today I put a big pork butt with some spices in my crock pot before I left for work, and now I'll have pulled pork for a few days with barely any work/time in the kitchen.

@racheleats  Thank you for the tips!  I guess I'll find some meals I like, too.  I've been trying some new recipes with this.  Some I like, some I don't.  So I guess I'll get into a rhythm.  And I'll have to use my crock pot some more!  Would be nice to come home to a meal that's all ready.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Kdog777 said:

Been there done that!!! LOL. Those are terrible as they feel so real!. Question for you all, I found some fruit in a cup that seems Whole30 compliant. But, before i try it I need to be sure. Here's the ingredients that seem ok. Please let me know what you all think. I don't want to ruin my program especially now that we are over half way done.

Peaches, White Grape Juice from Concentrate (Water, White Grape Juice Concentrate), Lemon Juice from Concentrate (Water, Lemon Juice Concentrate), Natural Flavors, Ascorbic Acid (To Promote Color Retention), and Citric Acid.

This is okay. Fresh fruit would probably be better -- the grape juice is really just making this sweeter than the peaches might be on their own -- but this is okay to have.

On 8/23/2017 at 1:13 PM, ShannonM816 said:

This is okay. Fresh fruit would probably be better -- the grape juice is really just making this sweeter than the peaches might be on their own -- but this is okay to have.

Thank you!! Its only for when i'm o the go go go!

I've determined you need more than 6-7 hours sleep/night to get the Tiger Blood.  At least that's my theory.  Also, I overate yesterday - bought Larabars to "try" them out.  Well, good thing I only bought two because I ate both of them.  Not even hungry.  No more for me!  That was purely an emotional eat, but lesson learned.  

Still plugging away.  Having my mom & brother over Sunday.  Making a W30 meal; hope they like it!  Doing shopping list again today and will be cooking again this weekend.  Scouring Internet today at lunch for big batch meals.

Also, we have an ice cream social at 3:00 today.  I'm the one that had to shop and supply all the goodies.  Not even tempted though.  At least I'm not 'cheating' with ice cream, the candy in the kitchen, the homemade fudge at my house... *sigh*  

1 hour ago, Karen L said:

I've determined you need more than 6-7 hours sleep/night to get the Tiger Blood.  At least that's my theory.  .  

Also, we have an ice cream social at 3:00 today.  I'm the one that had to shop and supply all the goodies.  Not even tempted though.  At least I'm not 'cheating' with ice cream, the candy in the kitchen, the homemade fudge at my house... *sigh*  

Holy temptations, batman!!! Well done resisting all of that!!! Fudge!! Oh man, that's hard. I had to resist bloody mary's, margaritas, beer, eggplant parm, baked ziti, brownies, AND my favorite girl scout cookies last Sunday at my softball game. I was totally fine with passing up all of it until I saw the Tagalong's. Then I longed for their peanut buttery chocolately goodness for a few minutes. And then it passed, because I'm too far into the program to quit now, despite what all my dreams say! (Another one last night.) 

Also, someone may have to describe what this whole Tiger Blood thing is for me again, because I have been getting a ton of sleep and eating completely on the program, but I don't know that I necessarily feel tigerly. 

Archived