August 7th Start Date

MarieC1978

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Karen L said:

I hear ya, but doesn't it get old quickly that way?  I'm going to try new things.  I'm looking for quick recipes, but variety!  I'm afraid if it feels like a "I can do anything for 30 days" type diet, it's not a true 'lifestyle' change, but something I'd be trying to get through for a month.  You've done it before, though.. what do you find helpful and not helpful?  I'm looking for any suggestions to be successful.

I was never experimental before whole30. So even though I do try new things, it's not that often and only if I have time and ingredients.  For the first time around, I would try to just get through it. Reading labels is what wrecked my first 2 attempts. Misread them. And I was never sure what I would be hungry for, so experimenting didn't seem important. Even though I did try a couple recipes out of both the w30 book and the w30 recipe book

5 minutes ago, Brensuma said:

For the first time around, I would try to just get through it. 

Yeah, I've been thinking a lot more about that.  I think I've been trying to approach it from a "rest of my life" standpoint, and I think that'll probably just set myself up for failure.  I'm going to try and keep it simple.  Preplan, but don't make unrealistic goals.  I'll have some fall-backs, too that I can just grab if short on time.  Thanks!!

Hey guys! Happy Friday! Only 3 days to kick off. I think I've got most of the things I'll need. I bought alot of stuff from the Thrive Market. Prices good and delivery is quick. Tomorrow I'm going to Whole Foods to find some extra items and then off to the regular grocery store (as Whole Foods is a bit pricey so can't get everything there, lol). I'm super excited and scared all at once. I don't have sugar cravings but, I LOVE me some salt n vinegar chips!!! I will be missing those :unsure: but, its something that must be done. I eat a ton of veggies and not huge on meat. So, there will be some challenges for me. I asked some co-workers of mine to help be supportive as I'm also quitting smoking!! Yeah!! I'm finally truly ready. Just worry if I get stressed I'll founder. But, with you guys, my co-workers and super supportive husband I will prevail. I can't wait to see your posts and achievements. Let's do this!

8 hours ago, Kdog777 said:

So, there will be some challenges for me. I asked some co-workers of mine to help be supportive as I'm also quitting smoking!! Yeah!! I'm finally truly ready. Just worry if I get stressed I'll flounder.

Good luck on quitting smoking and w30! I had to use the patch to quit smoking (both times. Had quit for about 17nyrs and a drunken weekend with major stress did me in. But I've been smoke free about a year now). 

Wow that's awesome!!! I really want to quit. I've tried 5 times with up to 3 years and then "1" stressful event sucked me back in. However, this time I "really" want to do it so I'm hopeful that I can be successful. Fingers crossed!

I am staring August 7 as well! Have been reading your comments this past week:) at his is my very first whole30 and I am both excited and scared! What I have done to prepare for the whole30 so far:

- purchased all of the cooking fats, condiments, flour, etc.. 

- tons of compliant RX bars do my pre work outs and snacks

- brought tons of food (afraid tooooo much)

my plan for today:

- make chicken meatballs and freeze most of them

- make a roast in the instant pot

- roast some veggies 

- make mayo, avocado pesto

- boils some chicken breast for chicken salad for lunches 

- make frittata for breakfast (with sausage from Costco)

SO. MUCH. WORK! But I am so afraid to fall off the wagon due to fail to prep that I would rather overdue it:))))))

what are oh guys doing today???

• Moderators
22 hours ago, ItsAboutTime said:

So question  for you.... am Hoping one of us might now in this group..... Are Boars Head deli meat products Whole30 friendly?  Here is what someone shared with me from the Boars Head website

20170805_143715.jpg

That's a great advertisement but it doesn't actually say what is in the product that you're wanting to eat... it also doesn't mention sugars/sweetners or soy... It's probably one of the best ones on the market for after whole30 if they have sugar in them but for your Whole30 you'd have to check the ingredients on each item you're going to buy. :)

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Yuliya Porter said:

- tons of compliant RX bars do my pre work outs and snacks

Okay so preworkout is recommended to be protein and fat, not fruit and nut bars... fruit and nuts will give your body easy access to easy fuel and what you want is for your body to start burning fat stores... Second, snacking is discouraged. If, at the beginning while you're getting your meal composition down you need to eat between meals, make it fat and protein, not fruit and nuts or bars... RX Bars are approved for emergencies (as in, you dig it out of the bottom of your purse where it's been for three weeks when you suddenly find yourself stranded on the tarmac for hours.... not regularly planned snacking.

I also noted that you said you bought flour... I assume that meant coconut or almond flour... what are you using it for?  Flours are okay for coating chicken or fish or using as a binder in salmon cakes, but not okay for recreating baked goods or treats... I'm sure that's what you're using it for but just wanted to confirm :)

Careful with the Costco sausage as well... if it's their house brand in their own styro and saran packaging, those all have sugar... 

I'm so ready for this next round to begin (mark my words, that sentence will NOT be repeated for a while once I start. Lol). I'm going to have major carb &sugar withdrawals I'm sure (last time around I had been watching my sugar and carb intake before starting so it wasn't too bad). But I can tell in my sausage fingers and achy joints I definitely need to reboot!

Oh my gosh. Spent 90 minutes shopping and reading labels and looking for items I'd never bought before.. came home and prepped and cooked for 2-1/2 hours, but should be set for the week!  Hope it gets easier!

Don't forget to take your "before" pictures and hide your scales!  I'm ready :)

7 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Okay so preworkout is recommended to be protein and fat, not fruit and nut bars... fruit and nuts will give your body easy access to easy fuel and what you want is for your body to start burning fat stores... Second, snacking is discouraged. If, at the beginning while you're getting your meal composition down you need to eat between meals, make it fat and protein, not fruit and nuts or bars... RX Bars are approved for emergencies (as in, you dig it out of the bottom of your purse where it's been for three weeks when you suddenly find yourself stranded on the tarmac for hours.... not regularly planned snacking.

I also noted that you said you bought flour... I assume that meant coconut or almond flour... what are you using it for?  Flours are okay for coating chicken or fish or using as a binder in salmon cakes, but not okay for recreating baked goods or treats... I'm sure that's what you're using it for but just wanted to confirm :)

Careful with the Costco sausage as well... if it's their house brand in their own styro and saran packaging, those all have sugar... 

Coconut flour. I don't even know if I ever use it yet. RX bars are mostly for  emergencies and trips to bush gardens and kings dominion since kids are still at home and we do tons of activities. But thanks for your input

9 hours ago, Brensuma said:

But there are so many better options for those trips! 

Like what? I have never done whole 30 and with four children I am really busy. If you have suggestions, feel free to share. Seriously getting frustrated with responses that are critical and not helpful.... on the first day. 

14 minutes ago, Yuliya Porter said:

Like what?

Hi Yuliya.  I was wondering the same thing!  I've been to Kings Dominion & Busch Gardens and don't remember healthy options, except maybe a Caesar salad, but you'd be just basically getting the lettuce.  or you could perhaps gnaw on a turkey leg ;)   You must be an east-coast girl, too.  I'm in Maryland - welcome!

Here it is guys, Day 1!!!!!  I spent 4 1/2 hours yesterday prep cooking. OMG!!! Spent 2 hours at the grocery store reading labels takes a while (Ugh!) and then of course I spent too much too. My husband was like who are you feeding the whole block!! I told him that this was just the first week and I wanted to have the right foods on hand. He laughed and said "oh we have the right foods, just too much of it". So, yes I went a bit overboard but, that just proves how much I need this Whole30. I go overboard with my eating of bad foods too. Well, this is a learning first week. After this week I can meal plan better as I figure out what I like best. I hope all of you are having a great first day! We can do this!! Especially together!! I'll check in again a bit later and see if anyone has posted there first day events. I am about to go eat a slice of my frittata for breakfast with some coffee and a bit of my nutpod whole30 compliant creamer!

Archived