August 7th Start Date

MarieC1978

16 hours ago, SnappySue said:

Just curious. Is the ghee a strong flavor? I haven't bought any yet. 

Not if you get the right brand or make your own.  I bought Organic Valley initially and it is not good in my opinion.  I since learned that most people don't like the flavor. The other thing is, you can use clarified butter (versus Ghee which is cooked longer and gets a stronger / nuttier flavor) and it literally tastes pretty darn close to regular butter.  Clarified butter is really easy to make - google it and follow along and it's simple.  It keeps for a long time in the frig too.  Good luck!  

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I baked a egg frittata last night and it is amazing! I don't even miss the cheese! It'll be nice for those early school mornings as we used to eat breakfast burritos. I just used the meat and veggies I had in the fridge, seasoned with cumin, oregano, garlic, chili powder and fresh parsley. 10 eggs poured over top. I do not feel deprived at all eating this stuff! :) Happy Day 3, all!

IMG_9081.JPG

19 hours ago, SnappySue said:

Just curious. Is the ghee a strong flavor? I haven't bought any yet. 

I have been using Ghee for a few years now and no one in my family knew!  Start out using less that you think you should (it's stronger than butter but not by much).  I love it on my baked potatoes, using it to saute my onions and peppers, and using it when I don't feel like EVOO or want a different flavor profile on my food.  It is very versatile, but if you have never used it, start small and taste as you go so you know if you like it and want more.

15 hours ago, Cinlynn said:

My daughter's boyfriend is having a going away party for her this weekend and is cooking a brisket. I know I can have brisket, but not knowing what he is seasoning it with has me thinking I should take a compliant dish. Thought I'd take either a salad or a veggie tray too. Any suggestions on a main dish to take. Thought about just doing a pork loin in the crockpot. 

I am often invited to parties or to hangout with other families for special occasions.  My husband and I own a marketing business, so yucking it up with clients and friends is a must.  Two things I learned...with friends...you can always ask!  They will tell you what they are using as ingredients and sometimes they will even switch their norms for something that is compliant to ensure you are taken care of.  With clients, I bring my own foods and if they ask why I just tell them I have gastro issues that I am trying to figure out and that I am doing the W30.  This always opens a conversation about their issues and their diets and we end up talking about them so I am not the topic of discussion.  I keep the discussion away from my diet and what I am eating and don't make a big deal out of it.

If you want to take something, a salad/veggie and a pork loin in the crockpot are great as they can be shared with others if they wish.  Then, you aren't the only one eating it.  Salads and veggies are great because...what if he didn't think about the vegetarian in the group?  Just let the boyfriend know you are bringing the items to help make sure there is enough food and to ensure you have something to eat.  Be honest with him and I am sure he will appreciate not having to worry about his cooking and he will appreciate the extras.

Day 2 down and I whooped its butt!  Felt a little like "what the hell did I get myself into" around 3PM, but it was just a blip in the grand scheme of things.  I kept telling myself I have done harder things...two kids, mechanic in the military, graduated college, own my business, had 11 surgeries, and have dealt with gastroparesis for 15 years. 

I didn't write all of that to brag, but I want to point out that most of you have done the same things or harder!  I know their are other moms in this group.  Let's face it ladies...having kids is HARD, but raising kids is the HARDEST!  If we can do that, we can do ANYTHING!

@Kdog777 You CAN do this!  Since your husband is a great support system, apologize ahead of time.  :D  I quit smoking a few years back and I was a bear with a thorn in its paw.  I just apologized to my husband in advance for my crankiness and asked for forgiveness.  I told him the best way to avoid my negative, I want to punch everything attitude is to back away slowly when it gets to that point and let me do what I am going to do alone.  That is my personality, so I knew cleaning the house or reading a book was going to calm me down and bring me off the ledge faster than him saying "you need to calm down."  I also told him to not ask me "What's wrong with you?"  My response was always something involving 4 letter words, so to combat that, I just told him not to ask and to assume I was cranky because of lack of nicotine.  A great back/shoulder massage wouldn't be remiss either at the end of the day.  Tell him you appreciate him and that will earn you some points for when you snap at him 2 minutes later.  :lol:

On 8/7/2017 at 5:19 PM, Brensuma said:

Whoa! No need to jump on me by calling me critical just because I said there were healthier options. Guess when I read the book and it said "emergencies only" I took it to mean something else. Guess I also figured to-go food for parks and such would be picnic type foods that I brought with. I'm sure with 4 kids you are busy! A lot of prep goes into W30. The book says A lot of planning. 

Sorry, did not mean to "jump" on you. I am just very insecure about my abilities to plan and eat healthy and I spent a looooot o time to prep and cook and shop. And when I posted everything I did,  I got  several corrections. And non of the "good job" ones. That was disappointing, since this is the main reason I joined this post!

@Yuliya Porter and @Brensuma 

Things to remember...we are ALL always thinking "Good Job" because you have made the decision to make your life better!  So, if we don't type it any other time...GOOD JOB!  You have done a lot of work and you should be proud of yourself!  Preparing for the W30 is, I think, harder than doing W30!  First timers are always going to feel insecure because we are entering a world we are unfamiliar with.  It's scary and we get nervous we are going to screw up or fail.  So, know that we are very proud of your decision to do W30 and we want you to get the maximum out of YOUR hard work. 

Take suggestions and absorb them as just that...suggestions.  You are you and I am me.  We are different and what works for you may not work for me.  Some of us are crafty and can sneak items into the park better than others.  Some can't.  I am often at baseball fields when my son plays where they don't allow coolers or food because they sell them.  I have to walk out to my car for my meals and drinks if I don't want to buy something.  IT IS A PAIN IN MY BOOTIE, but that is a choice I have to make.  Some people can eat a meal after they work out and some will pray to the porcelain God if they eat anything.  Do what is best for your body within the parameters of W30 and you will both be fine.

Also, I often tell my kids to read posts with different inflections in the wording to ensure it can't be taken out of context (whether I wrote it or I received it).  I have very thick skin, so I don't get offended...ever...when I am reading someone's post or text.  Sometimes, someone will post something that seems to have tons of attitude, but in reality, it is simply pointing out their suggestions and making sure others get the most from their experience.  You cannot know what kind of attitude a person has when they are typing what they are saying.  And sometimes, a person will type something and not proof it to ensure their message is received with encouragement and love.

I'm glad to see we are all growing together and bonding with each other.  I will apologize now because I know around Day 10 I am going to be a raging mess because I will want a Venti Quad Nonfat White Mocha in the WORST way.  I will probably swallow my foot whole at some point and I will have to beg for forgiveness.  This group ROCKS!

30 minutes ago, Yuliya Porter said:

Sorry, did not mean to "jump" on you. I am just very insecure about my abilities to plan and eat healthy and I spent a looooot o time to prep and cook and shop. And when I posted everything I did,  I got  several corrections. And non of the "good job" ones. That was disappointing, since this is the main reason I joined this post!

I'm sorry. I seem to come across as harsh and I really don't mean to. I forget everyone isn't the "kick in the pants" type people and need encouragement more than correction. The fact that you were trying to plan ahead WAS a great idea. I also forget that everyone isn't like me (prefers being home to going shopping or parties. Doesn't travel. Etc) and isn't always home to fix meals. "Insecure about my abilities to plan and eat healthy".....sounds like something I would say! I'm one that has tried everything under the sun  (including a weight loss plan my sister and mom lost tons of weight on) and hasn't lost anything on them. So yes, W30 was another "I'll give it a try but it won't work" and also "I gave Atkins 2 weeks, I can give W30 their 30 days". YOU CAN DO THIS!

2 hours ago, SnappySue said:

I baked a egg frittata last night and it is amazing! I don't even miss the cheese! It'll be nice for those early school mornings as we used to eat breakfast burritos. I just used the meat and veggies I had in the fridge, seasoned with cumin, oregano, garlic, chili powder and fresh parsley. 10 eggs poured over top. I do not feel deprived at all eating this stuff! :) Happy Day 3, all!

IMG_9081.JPG

That looks super yummy!  I am not much of a cook but have been doing a concentrated effort to cook/make my 3 meals a day.  Actually the food has been really good.  Thanks for sharing!

Good Afternoon All W30'ers!

I hope day 3 is going well.  I had the headache yesterday and through the night but today it is mostly gone.  I have pork carnitas in the crockpot to take to church tonight for our Wednesday eve dinners.  No one will even know they are eating food that is "good" for them tonight!!  hahahahaha

I made cilantro-lime chicken last night with stir fried green beans, mushrooms, onions and garlic prepared in unrefined coconut oil (my fav!) and I also served cauliflower rice with herbs.  That was the first time I have ever had cauliflower rice....... it was really really good!  My hubby even at it!  Yeehaw!

I made my first batch of mayo yesterday, its absolutely yummy. I some of it for the protein salad I had for lunch yesterday.  

I will say that I do not feel hungry between meals so I must be getting the right amounts of things but I do feel the urge to snack in the late evenings..... not because I am hungry but I believe its out of habit :( so evenings after 7 are my challenges right now.

I haven't noticed my sugar dragon yet, but am sure he is deep inside just waiting to burst out!

Hope all have a great day today!

Had a work lunch today (pre-ordered sandwiches), so I just ate my meal ahead of time, and drank black coffee during the meeting.  Once everyone else was done eating, wasn't bad!  I also have a happy hour to go to after work, but already looked at the menu and will order a kale and strawberry salad (leave everything else off please) and veggies and guac.  Oh.  and club soda.  I sure am getting practice with all the "social" events!  I think it's good, though.  If I do it before it gets to the harder days, I'll already know I can do it!  So glad of this forum.  Your posts are encouraging.  - and if anyone finds an awesome recipe to share, keep those coming too!  I usually like the ones 5 ingredients or less and whip it up in 30 minutes or less ;)

2 hours ago, MarieC1978 said:

Day 2 down and I whooped its butt!  Felt a little like "what the hell did I get myself into" around 3PM, but it was just a blip in the grand scheme of things.  I kept telling myself I have done harder things...two kids, mechanic in the military, graduated college, own my business, had 11 surgeries, and have dealt with gastroparesis for 15 years. 

I didn't write all of that to brag, but I want to point out that most of you have done the same things or harder!  I know their are other moms in this group.  Let's face it ladies...having kids is HARD, but raising kids is the HARDEST!  If we can do that, we can do ANYTHING!

@Kdog777 You CAN do this!  Since your husband is a great support system, apologize ahead of time.  :D  I quit smoking a few years back and I was a bear with a thorn in its paw.  I just apologized to my husband in advance for my crankiness and asked for forgiveness.  I told him the best way to avoid my negative, I want to punch everything attitude is to back away slowly when it gets to that point and let me do what I am going to do alone.  That is my personality, so I knew cleaning the house or reading a book was going to calm me down and bring me off the ledge faster than him saying "you need to calm down."  I also told him to not ask me "What's wrong with you?"  My response was always something involving 4 letter words, so to combat that, I just told him not to ask and to assume I was cranky because of lack of nicotine.  A great back/shoulder massage wouldn't be remiss either at the end of the day.  Tell him you appreciate him and that will earn you some points for when you snap at him 2 minutes later.  :lol:

Thanks Marie!!!! Today (so far) has been ok. I'm still cranky but, I realize this will be my process. My husband is being really supportive (thank goodness) as I too will unless the dragon if he were to ask me "what's wrong" and the dragon would launch many of not nice 4 letter words and usually in a combination.

I got up and did feel better than yesterday at least. I had left over brisket, roasted potatoes and 2 poached eggs, YUMMY! I had some coffee with my nut pod coconut/almond creamer and its fantastic!  My lunch time hour is another protein salad with canned salmon, avocado and lots o' veggies. (I would have made something different however, with the mood I was in probably not wise wielding a knife around, LOL! Just kidding but, I was way too cranky to bother cooking my lunch.

I hope everyone is doing well today and I'll check in again tonight. Remember there's no I in TEAM, We can all do this together. I honestly believe that : )

Sooo... totally forgot to tell everyone... Mayo with a little lemon juice as a replacement for sour cream... AWESOME!  Not exactly the same but it helped to keep my baked potato from being too dry and only had to use a little.  The flavor was very good!  I mixed my mayo and lemon juice in a small bowl (about 1/3 cup mayo to about 1 tsp. lemon juice - hard to tell as I just squeezed the juice instead of measuring and tasted as I went).  My husband is doing a "modified" W30 with me as much as he feels he should.  He used a little on his baked potato and his comment was "not bad" so that's a win!

4 hours ago, SnappySue said:

IMG_9081.JPG

Okay...so I HATE eggs!  I know!  I know!  That's just crazy talk!  But...this makes me want to try them one more time just to see if my palate has changed at all.  Yummy looking!

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I love all your posts! It makes me feel like I am not alone in this...

Any swagger I had yesterday is gone. I felt so great and loved my food, but today the struggle is real. I don't ever want to see another veggie again. Seriously. So before I get home, I asked my lovely hubby to grill come chicken and roast some veggies so I don't have any other option. To be honest, I am not even hungry. I had to force my lunch down and only ate a portion of it. Is anyone else feeling this? Hoping tomorrow is better. 

Good luck to all of you!!

I'm a bit late, but I'm gonna jump right on in, because we're all pretty close...I started today.  I don't quite want to kill anyone, yet, but do have a headache, probably from cutting out the diet pop.  I also learned very quickly at the store today that sugar is in freaking EVERYTHING!  :huh:

Looking forward to getting to know you all and getting through this together!

3 hours ago, Brensuma said:

I'm sorry. I seem to come across as harsh and I really don't mean to. I forget everyone isn't the "kick in the pants" type people and need encouragement more than correction. The fact that you were trying to plan ahead WAS a great idea. I also forget that everyone isn't like me (prefers being home to going shopping or parties. Doesn't travel. Etc) and isn't always home to fix meals. "Insecure about my abilities to plan and eat healthy".....sounds like something I would say! I'm one that has tried everything under the sun  (including a weight loss plan my sister and mom lost tons of weight on) and hasn't lost anything on them. So yes, W30 was another "I'll give it a try but it won't work" and also "I gave Atkins 2 weeks, I can give W30 their 30 days". YOU CAN DO THIS!

It's all good!  I am the same way... tried every diet under the sun, but after 4 kids, hypothyroidism, anxiety and tons of weight gained, I am a total mess. I want to loswe weight this time around, but this is not my main goal. Trying to see if there is ANY way for me to get healthier and get more energy! Thanks fo the encouragement. It really DOES mean a lot to me right now....

8 hours ago, Sara Cameron-Ragazzo said:

OK, looking for some good ideas for how you guys are getting your plated fats, especially for breakfast.  I know from feedback that I am hungry because I'm  having a hard time incorporating plated fat.  This morning, I may have found a go-to fat / fruit combo with 1/2 blueberries covered in Native Forest Organic unsweetened coconut milk.  That's gonna get old.  Going to buy some compliant smoked salmon and I am adding olive oil on top of my eggs / arugula.  Other ideas?  I have been using olives on my lunch salad and I have a ton of avocados but, for some reason, they aren't ripening well so I'm struggling with something like that that is easy.  

Ideas when you guys have time!  Thanks - 2 days done folks!!  We've got this.

Dressings and sauces count as your fat.  Simple lemon juice/light olive oil mix is my fav.  And the balsamic vinaigrette works nicely with a lot of things.

• Whole30 Certified Coach
3 minutes ago, Yuliya Porter said:

I think by day 3 i noticed couple of things:

- I dont like left overs very much

- i might be eating larger portions, since i think I eat healthy

- i want my wine. Badly!!!!!!!

I think maybe I'm doing the same thing (eating larger portions). I'm hoping once my body resets it will be able to self regulate portions. I feel you  on the wine!!

Okay, so clearly I spoke too soon. Day 1 got jacked at supper...I unthinkingly popped some prepared chopped salad in my mouth (sugar in the dressing) followed by pickled herring (more sugar). I am less than thrilled, obviously, but I guess if I have to restart, I'd rather it be redoing Day 1 vs starting over at Day 20. I still made improvements today over all, so I'll treat it as a learning experience, brush up on the book, and restart tomorrow!

@Yuliya....try kombucha 

@amandamay83....sorry to hear the derailment.  Mine was on day 20.....then day 7....and finally got through my round.

"Each program builds on the last and brings a greater range and depth of awareness when you reintroduce. Commit to treating every program like it’s your first, because unless you’ve lived 100% Whole30 between your last program and this second one, it kind of is like starting all over again."

Yes it's crazy how "easy" it is to slip up!

So here's my dilemma of the day. The first couple of days were kind of exciting, but now I'm almost out of my "prepared" food (or sick of it - didn't make enough options), so I'm falling back to my convenience foods and I'll get sick of them real quick. I'm a single mom, commute 60-70 minutes each way, and have heavily relied on convenience foods. I'm already reverting to something I can have ready in 10-15 minutes... or can eat on the go if I have other errands.. i.e. Turkey burger with guac, cut veggies and guac, fruit and nut bar... and this will get old.  Does anyone have any suggestions other than MORE weekend prep?  

Archived