Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MarieC1978

August 7th Start Date

Recommended Posts

Sitting here sipping on some roasted dandelion tea with my new favorite coconut milk and cinnamon topping thinking how lucky I feel to 1.) have found this program and 2.) to have lucked into this start date and "met" you guys.  This is kinda' amazing . . . we have NO IDEA who each other was and yet there is caring and honesty and collaboration and love and it's all because we truly know that we need each other to do this and we're willing to band together to make it through.

Mushy stuff aside, I had my favorite dinner yet . . . Bought some miniature chicken legs from a local farmer (we're VERY lucky to have an active farmers' co-op in my city) and covered them with the W30 buffalo sauce (good Lord is that good!) and baked them.  Finished with a salad that had everything good in it (including some olives, avocado, chopped organic / raw cashews and capers) and some of the lemon garlic cole slaw (also in the W30 book).  I could eat like this forever . . . oh yeah, that's the plan!

Feelin' a little tiger blood-ish today which has me kinda' worried that I'm doing something wrong.  Hope not - I know I'm not messing up food but I do feel good - sleepier than normal and I have a strange little rash on both of my upper arms but relatively good otherwise.

Everyone stay strong and keep the support coming.  It's truly amazing.

P.S.  I did this somewhat backwards.  I read the Whole30 book first so I could get started on the program after I decided to do it but now am going back and reading "It Starts With Food".  That book is FABULOUS - everyone should read it time permitting.  It truly motivates you even more and I know it's going to help me when I am weak and thinking about that damn glass of wine!!!   

Good day all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Sara Cameron-Ragazzo said:

OK, looking for some good ideas for how you guys are getting your plated fats, especially for breakfast.  I know from feedback that I am hungry because I'm  having a hard time incorporating plated fat.  This morning, I may have found a go-to fat / fruit combo with 1/2 blueberries covered in Native Forest Organic unsweetened coconut milk.  That's gonna get old.  Going to buy some compliant smoked salmon and I am adding olive oil on top of my eggs / arugula.  Other ideas?  I have been using olives on my lunch salad and I have a ton of avocados but, for some reason, they aren't ripening well so I'm struggling with something like that that is easy.  

Ideas when you guys have time!  Thanks - 2 days done folks!!  We've got this.

Sweet potato with ghee is yummy and kind of breakfasty. Mayo is always good too. I like it on a burger. I do a hash sometimes with sweet potato, ground turkey, whatever other vegetables and lingonberries (cranberries work as well) topped with a thumb size serving of melted coconut oil.

Careful with smoked salmon  - like bacon, it is notorious for added sugar. Most brine recipes have a little. E.g. the one I make has 1/2 cup of brown sugar in 4 gallons of water. This year I substituted maple syrup to make it paleo (not whole30) friendly.  Came out yummy and it's on the shelf for the month!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Karen L said:

Yes it's crazy how "easy" it is to slip up!

So here's my dilemma of the day. The first couple of days were kind of exciting, but now I'm almost out of my "prepared" food (or sick of it - didn't make enough options), so I'm falling back to my convenience foods and I'll get sick of them real quick. I'm a single mom, commute 60-70 minutes each way, and have heavily relied on convenience foods. I'm already reverting to something I can have ready in 10-15 minutes... or can eat on the go if I have other errands.. i.e. Turkey burger with guac, cut veggies and guac, fruit and nut bar... and this will get old.  Does anyone have any suggestions other than MORE weekend prep?  

My suggestion is to freeze individual servings to grab for lunches or when you need a quick dinner for you (I can't remember if your kids are whole 30ing?).  It doesn't all have to be on the weekend. If you make a pot of spaghetti sauce for dinner one night, freeze a pint mason jar or 2 for later. If you bake or grill chicken legs, make a few extra and pop them in a freezer baggie.  I realize this has you cooking during the week after the commute but guessing you have to do that sometimes anyway.  Putting aside  servings in the freezer, for me anyway, results in quite a variety to choose from when I have to grab something quick.  Of  course we'd probably all rather have fresh veggies but frozen can often be on your plate much faster.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My placebo effect tiger blood was gonesville today!  Just had turkey broth first thing as stomach felt bad.  So then I ate lunch too soon and got over hungry while shopping on the way home at the end of the day.  Ate half a container of blackberries while still in Costco and pistachios on the way home. Then a quick, simple dinner of bison burger over lettuce, avocado, sun-dried tomatoes, and olives. Not perfect but still with the program!  Very tired. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MelissaSue said:

I love all your posts! It makes me feel like I am not alone in this...

Any swagger I had yesterday is gone. I felt so great and loved my food, but today the struggle is real. I don't ever want to see another veggie again. Seriously. So before I get home, I asked my lovely hubby to grill come chicken and roast some veggies so I don't have any other option. To be honest, I am not even hungry. I had to force my lunch down and only ate a portion of it. Is anyone else feeling this? Hoping tomorrow is better. 

Good luck to all of you!!

Hi!

I was just telling my W30 partner yesterday that I don't feel hungry and was wondering if I am eating too much.  It's mostly veggies and a palm sized portion of protein (meat) but I do eat 2 eggs in the am with a variety of veggies or with pico and fresh avacaso.  I cook with ghee or coconut oil so I get the cooking fats....so like you, I am not super hungry thruoughout the day.  

I remember reading that if I do feel hungry at at mid morning or mid afternoon, then I need to increase my protein serving at bfast or lunch.  So I am assuming since I am not hungry between meals, i.must be getting the right protein and fats.  Should I cut back on the veggies?

It's 6am now and I will say that I woke up hungry this morning!  Next week, I travel out of town for a 4 day conference with my co workers....3 meals a day being provided....any suggestions on how to get thru this with out messing up?

Have a great day everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose I should have asked before clicking, but it's too late now...

Anyone else doing (or have done) the daily email subscription? Yesterday was my Day 1, which I flunked. So at the end, where you click "success!" or "start over," I was honest and clicked "start over." I guess I expected to get the Day 1 email again today, which I did not. Did I jack up my subscription and now I have to pay another $15? Or does it just not resend emails and I'll get Day 2 tomorrow?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ItsAboutTime said:

Next week, I travel out of town for a 4 day conference with my co workers....3 meals a day being provided....any suggestions on how to get thru this with out messing up?

That's going to be tough; good luck!  From what I've read/heard, you should call ahead to the hotel or conference center (or conference organizer) and tell them you're on a special diet due to food allergies, and they should be able to accommodate.  I'd definitely stock up on w30 complaint fruit/nut bars, fresh fruit & veggies (as much as possible; hopefully you have a small fridge in your room?) - otherwise dried fruit... Hopefully the main things will be available - eggs, meat/veggies, etc.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sara Cameron-Ragazzo said:

P.S.  I did this somewhat backwards.  I read the Whole30 book first so I could get started on the program after I decided to do it but now am going back and reading "It Starts With Food".  That book is FABULOUS - everyone should read it time permitting.

I did the same thing!  A couple of my friends have been on Whole 30 and raved about it, so I went straight for the cookbook :)  I was contemplating reading "It Starts with Food" even though I know the basic idea.  You just made them another sale; ordering today.  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2017 at 8:22 PM, SnappySue said:

This is day 1 for me and my husband. I'm addicted to coffee granitas so drinking iced black coffee was a discipline. :) It's good to find a few others starting today as well. I'm debating whether to put my kids on this. Anyone who's including their kids?

My 17 year old daughter wanted to do it with me so we're doing it together, and my 15 year old is away at camp and she wants to start when she comes back, and knowing what a great huge sap I am, I am pretty sure I will be extending my whole 30 by an extra 3 weeks until her 30 is done.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Karen L said:

That's going to be tough; good luck!  From what I've read/heard, you should call ahead to the hotel or conference center (or conference organizer) and tell them you're on a special diet due to food allergies, and they should be able to accommodate.  I'd definitely stock up on w30 complaint fruit/nut bars, fresh fruit & veggies (as much as possible; hopefully you have a small fridge in your room?) - otherwise dried fruit... Hopefully the main things will be available - eggs, meat/veggies, etc.  

This stuff is fabulously expensive, but I tried the "original" flavor and it's really delicious, and it's compliant. I found the link on one of the pages of the Whole30 website.  A pack or two of this thrown in your bag might be very helpful in case of emergency and you have to break the glass.  

https://www.brooklynbiltong.com/collections/frontpage

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, anchorageali said:

My placebo effect tiger blood was gonesville today!  Just had turkey broth first thing as stomach felt bad.  So then I ate lunch too soon and got over hungry while shopping on the way home at the end of the day.  Ate half a container of blackberries while still in Costco and pistachios on the way home. Then a quick, simple dinner of bison burger over lettuce, avocado, sun-dried tomatoes, and olives. Not perfect but still with the program!  Very tired. 

Hang in there.  I feel a rough day coming on myself when I've felt pretty good up to now.  Try to get a few catnaps today (they suggest a quick unannounced trip to your car if you work to pull this off - lol.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, yeah.  Today is Day 4.  My body feels heavy (was an effort to walk up two flights of stairs).  My breakfast is sitting on my stomach and I have no energy.

How's everyone else feeling this fine day?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just realized my husband and I have a really fun trip (Tail of the Dragon) coming up on the first few days of my reintroduction phase.  I've been fretting about what to do about this and I just had an idea so I thought I'd share (especially for those who have conferences and meetings or other few-day travel).  I am getting a box and two of my ice bags left over from our Green Chef deliveries.  (Pretty sure dry ice would work or other cooling thingy).  I'm going to pack the foods I want to take with me in the food wrap that also came with our green chef orders (other light-weight cooler bags would work too), put the ice bags below and above to refrigerate, and ship to our destination.  I figured out that I should be able to get it there by UPS ground for about $25 and it's only going to travel 2 days.  Not cheap but small price to pay to have food I want versus God-knows-what I might find in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Karen L said:

So, yeah.  Today is Day 4.  My body feels heavy (was an effort to walk up two flights of stairs).  My breakfast is sitting on my stomach and I have no energy.

How's everyone else feeling this fine day?

@Karen L I am not really weak but I have this strange thing going on.  I could barely get my breakfast down (1 piece of egg frittata, one fried egg, 1/2 avocado all drizzled with avocado oil, and a cup of coffee with coconut milk and cinnamon) and while I was trying to eat and still now, I have this feeling of hunger. So, I didn't feel like eating, ate anyway but my tummy feels empty. I'm not sure it's real hunger or maybe just intestinal something.  It's annoying because I don't want to focus on this feeling of deprivation when I know darn well I've had plenty of food.  I am also brain-dead.  I was trying to talk to my husband and couldn't find words.  Now that's strange.  

But, I am an AVID wine drinker - I'm the one in the wine business! :) - and I have not missed my dinnertime wine at ALL!!!  That's a win for me all around!  

Good luck today all 8-7 folks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Karen L said:

I did the same thing!  A couple of my friends have been on Whole 30 and raved about it, so I went straight for the cookbook :)  I was contemplating reading "It Starts with Food" even though I know the basic idea.  You just made them another sale; ordering today.  Thanks!

I'm the oddball... I read "It Starts with Food" a couple years ago and found the tone incredibly off-putting.  I got just the Whole30 book this time and while there are still parts that are hard to swallow, it's much easier for me to take.  I guess I'll just have to trust all the rest of you that the reasoning behind the program is good, LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay question:  any runners here?  I'm training for a half marathon and I'm really struggling with how to fuel my runs.  I always have toast+PB+honey before my run and then if I'm running 8 miles or more will take a gel every 4 miles or so.  I've done runs without this and I cannot stress how  miserable it is.  Thoughts?  (I should search the forum, I bet... off to do that.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Soooooo..... I am just coasting along here.  No bad feelings, no sluggish or tiredness........... I was up at 5:30am without an alarm!  I hope I am doing this all correctly.  I am following W30 very closely and making sure I eat 3 times a day which is something new for me cause I have a habit of skipping bfast and lunch, then snacking in the afternoon and eating dinner either at home or at a restaurant with my hubby.  Maybe I am not fighting the hunger because I am actually eating more often and regularly than I traditionally have???

 

On another note- The pork carnitas were EXCELLENT last night!  I wrapped the meat in lettuce and served with fresh veggies.  SO yum!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ItsAboutTime said:

Next week, I travel out of town for a 4 day conference with my co workers....3 meals a day being provided....any suggestions on how to get thru this with out messing up?

Have a great day everyone!

I second the motion to call and see what they can do for you first as they are providing food.  I have celiac disease and travel for work,  always carrying my own food. I always request a room with a fridge and microwave. Then, I pack frozen portions of protein in a purse-sized cooler bag and put the whole thing in the fridge when I get there. I buy veggies at the grocery when I get there and eat them fresh (bins of prewashed greens are great) or steam them in the micro. For fat, I bring a jelly jar of coconut oil and/or a camping tube of olive oil.  Second nature to me now but I bet it sounds like a PIA for a single trip.  Thing is, even if there are eggs you don't know what they cooked them in.  Lunch and salad bar meats can have sugar or gluten in them, etc so I'd be very clear and careful if you're eating their food.

The packaged jerky suggested by @Babs3611 along with others like epic bars and products can be a lifesaver during travel!  I reserve those for days when I travel to remote villages due to cost.  Again, labels, labels, labels as some have sugar.  I get those products at REI and our locally owned version of Whole Foods. 

Traveling isn't the most convenient, especially with meals provided! You may wind up eating some before or after in your room but it can be done!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Karen L, I have had similar issues. So you are not alone. I decided for next week to look up 2-4 recipes that I can manipulate to act as a breakfast, lunch or dinner. This way I only have to add a few things to jazz it up. My hubby is going to do the grilling for me and I figure having some grilled chicken, pork, steaks ready to go will make food more fun?? At least that's my hope. I work at least 50-60 hours a week and don't want to spend too much time prepping every weekend. So I'll try this tactic and see how it goes. I mean steaming, broiling or baking veggies takes no time and/or prep. Hope some of that helps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, amandamay83 said:

Okay question:  any runners here?  I'm training for a half marathon and I'm really struggling with how to fuel my runs.  I always have toast+PB+honey before my run and then if I'm running 8 miles or more will take a gel every 4 miles or so.  I've done runs without this and I cannot stress how  miserable it is.  Thoughts?  (I should search the forum, I bet... off to do that.)

I am not training for a half marathon or anything, but I do like to go "jogging" (I am slower than the tortoise).  I have a hard time eating right before and right after I run because of my gastroparesis.  The only thing I have found that really helps me is to go about 1.5 hours after lunch or dinner and eat something small to refuel after my run.  My something small is like the protein salad with some sweet potatoes in it or a small serving of a breakfast like hash.  I haven't been running the last few days because my energy is down and it is so hot I don't want to get "stuck" a few miles from home and have to call for a pick-up.  Let me know what you find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MarieC1978 said:

I am not training for a half marathon or anything, but I do like to go "jogging" (I am slower than the tortoise).  I have a hard time eating right before and right after I run because of my gastroparesis.  The only thing I have found that really helps me is to go about 1.5 hours after lunch or dinner and eat something small to refuel after my run.  My something small is like the protein salad with some sweet potatoes in it or a small serving of a breakfast like hash.  I haven't been running the last few days because my energy is down and it is so hot I don't want to get "stuck" a few miles from home and have to call for a pick-up.  Let me know what you find.

Well, Dr. Google was a mixed bag, LOL.  About half the sites told me that endurance sports and Whole30 are not compatible.  The other half told me to eat bananas, applesauce, and/or dates for fuel.  Since I loathe bananas and applesauce, I guess I'll try dates on my long runs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, amandamay83 said:

Well, Dr. Google was a mixed bag, LOL.  About half the sites told me that endurance sports and Whole30 are not compatible.  The other half told me to eat bananas, applesauce, and/or dates for fuel.  Since I loathe bananas and applesauce, I guess I'll try dates on my long runs.

I guess worst case have an RxBar or Larabar (compliant ones only) with you for energy emergencies. I looked and got the same conflicting information as you. Seems to me that the websites that said W30 isn't good for athletes are skewed against the program a little?  Maybe it was just the way I read the articles?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you get offended easily, please read no more!!!!!!

 

Okay All...Funny thing happened.  I am making some awesome burgers tonight with all the veggies and a sweet potato bun.  I have some pickles in the fridge that I wanted to use on my burger.  So I check to see if they are compliant.  I look at the ingredients and I see Alum listed.  I don't know what that is, so I google "What is Alum?" 

The third entry down on Google is:

Alum Uses For Tightening The Vagina Naturally - Medicinal & Others

Pretty sure I'm not gonna want to eat that anymore!!!:lol:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kdog777 said:

 I decided for next week to look up 2-4 recipes that I can manipulate to act as a breakfast, lunch or dinner. This way I only have to add a few things to jazz it up.

If you find any specific recipes that are particularly good for multi-uses, would you mind sharing? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, MarieC1978 said:

I guess worst case have an RxBar or Larabar (compliant ones only) with you for energy emergencies. I looked and got the same conflicting information as you. Seems to me that the websites that said W30 isn't good for athletes are skewed against the program a little?  Maybe it was just the way I read the articles?

Yeah, it was really a mixed bag...there wasn't much middle ground.  Either running on W30 was the devil or it  was the easiest thing ever :lol:

I'm going to try my 10 mile run this weekend with dates as fuel.  If it winds up truly miserable, though, I'm willing to compromise on my W30 for my long runs.  I know, I know:  it's not a W30, then...you* can save the "tough love" for someone else.  Running is important for my mental health and I'm not willing to give it up (or give up on my goals) in the name of a W30.  I understand it's not the same, that I will lose some of the benefits of W30, etc... but that's a compromise I'm willing to make.  (But I AM hopeful that dates will work well for me and that this will be a non-issue!)

 

*Well, not, YOU.  Like, the mods and the world and everyone, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites