Death of the Dragon - 30 days of carnage (July 25)

emilyelowe

Hi Whole30 community!

I am planning to start a Whole30 (my third true one - I've also done two Whole15 and a Whole27) on/around July 25 with my husband. No matter how many times you do this, it is always a challenge, particularly in the summer, so I would love some new friends to walk through the journey with me. The group of ladies that joined me here on the forum during my last Whole30 made an INCREDIBLE impact (and we're still talking on the post-Whole30 forum) so if you've never done it "with" someone else remotely, I encourage you to join me! I'm not sure yet if I'll log my food here or in the actual Whole30 Logs. I guess it depends on who joins me!

Looking forward to continued learning!

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
54 minutes ago, emilyelowe said:

Hi Whole30 community!

I am planning to start a Whole30 (my third true one - I've also done two Whole15 and a Whole27) on/around July 25 with my husband. No matter how many times you do this, it is always a challenge, particularly in the summer, so I would love some new friends to walk through the journey with me. The group of ladies that joined me here on the forum during my last Whole30 made an INCREDIBLE impact (and we're still talking on the post-Whole30 forum) so if you've never done it "with" someone else remotely, I encourage you to join me! I'm not sure yet if I'll log my food here or in the actual Whole30 Logs. I guess it depends on who joins me!

Looking forward to continued learning!

I'm starting one July 24th if you don't mind a mean ol' mod joining you :)

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, emilyelowe said:

I would love that @SugarcubeOD! This is going to be the best Whole30 yet! :) 

If you don't mind me asking, what prompted you to do another one now?

Yay!  Okay cool, I've actually never done one with a group before.

I dont' mind you asking at all :) I've had a very rough 12 or so months with mental health difficulties and  meds and time off work etc... While I know exactly how to eat to feel good and be at my best, that all sort of slipped away in the roughage... I need to crack down on the sugar dragon and get back into a three meals a day routine... just a basic reset with someone else's rules to get back on track :)   I also really want the challenge to remind myself that I can do something hard (as tho this whole year hasn't been hard... LOL)!  Why are you?

I do love other people's rules. :) We're planning a big trip to Europe (first time!) and also have a couple other major events (weddings, etc.) in September so I want to have the structure during that busy time so I don't fall off track. I'm still trying to figure out how to ride my own bike and I don't want to be all scuffed up from falling off of it when we head to Europe. Haha. I also think going from reintroduction to the travelling will have me in a more motivated and thoughtful mindset. 

One thing I'm a little nervous about though is food boredom, as I've been eating Whole30-ish foods pretty consistently since my last Whole30 and I'm kind of over it. Any go-to recipes that you look forward to during a Whole30?

• Moderators
3 hours ago, emilyelowe said:

I do love other people's rules. :) We're planning a big trip to Europe (first time!) and also have a couple other major events (weddings, etc.) in September so I want to have the structure during that busy time so I don't fall off track. I'm still trying to figure out how to ride my own bike and I don't want to be all scuffed up from falling off of it when we head to Europe. Haha. I also think going from reintroduction to the travelling will have me in a more motivated and thoughtful mindset. 

One thing I'm a little nervous about though is food boredom, as I've been eating Whole30-ish foods pretty consistently since my last Whole30 and I'm kind of over it. Any go-to recipes that you look forward to during a Whole30?

I'm a huge fan of chicken ceaser salad (home made ceaser salad dressing - OMG so good!) for lunches, Magic Mushroom Dust (nomnompaleo) on everything and my fave breakfast is scrambled eggs on ricewine/evoo dressed arugula topped with blueberries.  I'm not the best person to ask for lots of ideas because I'm very happy eating the same things all the time, but I'll think on this and see if I can think of anything else I love...

OH! Eggplant Strata from Well Fed and the West African Chicken Stew!  Do you have the Well Fed Cookbooks? They're amazing and you'll never be bored!

I'm with you.  I'm for you.  I'm with Sugar Cube, Lady Shanny and Shannon, too.

I'm with you and I'm cheering you on from the sideline. I don't need to repeat my original launching pad and springboard W30 with Slow Roll Reintro, because I've rolled my bones on over to FFF.  I will linger long there until the cows come home. 

Lately, I've noted we're down to one mod for hours on end and it's like magic. You keep up, juggling all of the balls in the air at one time, it is amazing.  I notice. I notice.  

Oooo, and just because I notice, don't think I'm running for office. Nuh huh. I bee good. I am content to have my FFF with freedom to sing, dance and decorate. Without that, I would be a lonely frog. 

AHHH! Forgive the intrusion, but I have to admit I'm kinda jealous of this group. With both @emilyelowe and @SugarcubeOD participating, it's going to be amazing! :wub: I wish I could join, but I've got to practice food freedom through at least August. I'm hoping to do a 2nd whole30 (or 45-60) later this year though.  I might have to keep checking this thread though just for inspiration and advice. :) 

2 hours ago, emilyelowe said:

I've just been thinking this too! My current food freedom plan is to try to eat as close to the template as possible other than the occasions when I'll have food provided for me. I just keep thinking I buy and eat the same things over and over. I could pretty much roll my grocery list over from one trip to the other, especially for veggies. I started looking up new recipes this morning to incorporate some new things and came across 2 interesting-looking stuffed eggplant recipes: 1) A tomato-based ground beef version - http://www.everydaymaven.com/2013/paleo-stuffed-eggplant-ground-beef/  and 2) a balsamic ground chicken version - http://www.thesophisticatedcaveman.com/balsamic-chicken-stuffed-eggplant/ I also found a drunken zucchini noodles recipe that looks interesting: http://themovementmenu.com/recipes/whole30-drunken-zucchini-noodles/ (although note the page is not coming up on my computer, but it is on my phone). I'm considering buying some new cookbooks and the Well Fed ones sound like a good starting point, thanks SugarCube!

21 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

I'm starting one July 24th if you don't mind a mean ol' mod joining you :)

I'm sure this was just a response to something that had happened yesterday and not really the way you think about yourself, but I wanted to jump in with some encouragement.  You are definitely not 'mean'. :) I've always found you and @ladyshanny to have lots of encouragement, tough love when needed, and great advice! Coming from someone who has done a little modding on a different forum, I know it can be draining and I'm glad you're treating yourself to a reset and joining in with a group! 

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, NoneOtherThanAmy said:

AHHH! Forgive the intrusion, but I have to admit I'm kinda jealous of this group. With both @emilyelowe and @SugarcubeOD participating, it's going to be amazing! :wub: I wish I could join, but I've got to practice food freedom through at least August. I'm hoping to do a 2nd whole30 (or 45-60) later this year though.  I might have to keep checking this thread though just for inspiration and advice. :) 

I've just been thinking this too! My current food freedom plan is to try to eat as close to the template as possible other than the occasions when I'll have food provided for me. I just keep thinking I buy and eat the same things over and over. I could pretty much roll my grocery list over from one trip to the other, especially for veggies. I started looking up new recipes this morning to incorporate some new things and came across 2 interesting-looking stuffed eggplant recipes: 1) A tomato-based ground beef version - http://www.everydaymaven.com/2013/paleo-stuffed-eggplant-ground-beef/  and 2) a balsamic ground chicken version - http://www.thesophisticatedcaveman.com/balsamic-chicken-stuffed-eggplant/ I also found a drunken zucchini noodles recipe that looks interesting: http://themovementmenu.com/recipes/whole30-drunken-zucchini-noodles/ (although note the page is not coming up on my computer, but it is on my phone). I'm considering buying some new cookbooks and the Well Fed ones sound like a good starting point, thanks SugarCube!

I'm sure this was just a response to something that had happened yesterday and not really the way you think about yourself, but I wanted to jump in with some encouragement.  You are definitely not 'mean'. :) I've always found you and @ladyshanny to have lots of encouragement, tough love when needed, and great advice! Coming from someone who has done a little modding on a different forum, I know it can be draining and I'm glad you're treating yourself to a reset and joining in with a group! 

Oh hang out with us anyway! :)  Those recipes look great!  And you just reminded me that I was served an amazing eggplant dish while I was on holiday... it was a japanese eggplant (the longer skinnier ones) grilled the day before and then Dukkah, parsley, olive oil, back in the oven to warm and the covered with a tahini dressing... I'm going to make up the recipe this weekend and report back because it was amazing... and all I could think when I was eating it was 'this would be so good with an egg on top for breakfast!

Thanks for the words of encouragement! :wub: We really just want people to soar and get the best out of this program... I know exactly how much it can change your life if you let it!

Well Fed 1 and 2 are the best cookbooks you'll ever buy!  She has so many great recipes as well as spice blends that you can use for other things... and almost everything in her books is made from things you probably already have in the house so it's very accessible!

@emilyelowe - think we need a name for our awesome group?

Welcome, @CristinaV

Thanks for the ideas, @NoneOtherThanAmy! You're just the sweetest. :) 

Stick around anyway @MonikaDelilah! You can encourage us to keep looking ahead when you get that Tiger Blood before us! :D I think it's helpful to have a place just to process information. (Amy up there can attest that this is very true of me - haha). How is it going so far? Is it your first one?

My library has an AMAZING set of cookbooks - I'm going to see if they have the Well Fed ones so I can try a couple recipes! Thanks, team! (< And yes, @SugarcubeOD, it looks like we need a name. Haha.)

• Moderators

I found this which will be first up on the menu!

https://hanadykitchen.com/2017/01/19/roasted-cauliflower-and-aubergine-with-dukkah-and-chili-cilantro-sauce/ (use water instead of yogurt in the tahini dressing)

What should our name be? I'm usually pretty good at being witty, but I"m coming up blank and all that's going through my head is the song Summer Nights from Grease!

Where does one get dukkah? This is the second time you've mentioned it, @SugarcubeOD and I've never heard of it!

Let's observe our logins. Yours is witty, mine is my actual name. I shall be no help in this area. :lol: It does sound like we might have a Sugar Dragon problem, though, so perhaps something related to sugar/dragon slaying? @CristinaV and @MonikaDelilah - what's your motivation for this round of Whole30? What do you want to call us?

1 hour ago, SugarcubeOD said:

What should our name be? I'm usually pretty good at being witty, but I"m coming up blank and all that's going through my head is the song Summer Nights from Grease!

Also, Grease is my all-time favorite movie, so we are off to a good start. 

1 hour ago, emilyelowe said:

Welcome, @CristinaV

Thanks for the ideas, @NoneOtherThanAmy! You're just the sweetest. :) 

Stick around anyway @MonikaDelilah! You can encourage us to keep looking ahead when you get that Tiger Blood before us! :D I think it's helpful to have a place just to process information. (Amy up there can attest that this is very true of me - haha). How is it going so far? Is it your first one?

My library has an AMAZING set of cookbooks - I'm going to see if they have the Well Fed ones so I can try a couple recipes! Thanks, team! (< And yes, @SugarcubeOD, it looks like we need a name. Haha.)

So Far I'm surviving! I've Pinned recipes on Pinterest, followed so many people on Insta and FB...I'm ready to do this. Thanks to genetics and a not so great but not horrible diet I was diagnosed with Pre Diabetes. I want to see those numbers in the normal range when I go back in 6 months. My main goal is to reset my relationship with food while getting healthy. Thanks for letting me stick around. :)

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, emilyelowe said:

Also, Grease is my all-time favorite movie, so we are off to a good start. 

Also one of my all time faves, right behind Dirty Dancing!

The Death of the Dragon - 30 days of Carnage.  We could sell it as a movie title when we're done with it!

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, emilyelowe said:

Where does one get dukkah? This is the second time you've mentioned it, @SugarcubeOD and I've never heard of it!

Let's observe our logins. Yours is witty, mine is my actual name. I shall be no help in this area. :lol: It does sound like we might have a Sugar Dragon problem, though, so perhaps something related to sugar/dragon slaying? @CristinaV and @MonikaDelilah - what's your motivation for this round of Whole30? What do you want to call us?

So I originally got Dukkah from Trader Joe's but they've never had it again... HOWEVER, you're in luck because I found a recipe that's super easy... http://makebread.com.au/homemade-dukkah-recipe/

It's basically toasted nuts/spices... I've used it to coat chicken before baking (delish) and then the friend used it on the eggplant I had on vacay - also needed for the eggplant recipe I posted.  It's nice for a crunch and probably really good on a salad dressed with oil and vinegar :)  Beware storebought dukkah often has sugar in it.

1 hour ago, SugarcubeOD said:

So I originally got Dukkah from Trader Joe's but they've never had it again... HOWEVER, you're in luck because I found a recipe that's super easy... http://makebread.com.au/homemade-dukkah-recipe/

It's basically toasted nuts/spices... I've used it to coat chicken before baking (delish) and then the friend used it on the eggplant I had on vacay - also needed for the eggplant recipe I posted.  It's nice for a crunch and probably really good on a salad dressed with oil and vinegar :)  Beware storebought dukkah often has sugar in it.

Is that recipe Whole30 compliant ??? i've always doubted wether sesame seeds are compliant or nut.. I mean not.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Meiyonce said:

Is that recipe Whole30 compliant ??? i've always doubted wether sesame seeds are compliant or nut.. I mean not.

They're okay in limited quantities with all other seeds, nuts and their products... using on a salad, coating some meat once in a while, sprinkling on eggplant... all okay :)

Sesame oil is okay too and it can add a delicious rich flavor to foods like stir fry and eggs!

The more the merrier, @MonikaDelilah! That is such a great goal - I can't wait to hear about your progress! That's the beauty of the Whole30 - it helps you learn how to manage YOUR body, and YOUR genetics. That's something that hadn't clicked with me until recently (thank you, What the Health?, for that ONE positive piece of information) that I think is really important. 

@SugarcubeOD Dirty Dancing is one of my dad's favorite movies (and mine)! He had a huge crush on Jennifer Gray when he was younger (I did not). Haha. I'm also very petite but... feisty? so seem to often have "Nobody puts Baby in a corner," said in my direction. Not sure what's up with that. (I wish there was a shrug emoji - if there was, I would put it here). 

Also, LOVE THAT TITLE. We're going to be rich when that movie comes out. ;) I wish we could add a Subtitle to the name of this chain!

Interesting about the dukkah - I'll have to look for it/its ingredients. The idea of a nice crunch sounds DELIGHTFUL. And if I hate it, I'll try not to let @ladyshanny know if I agree with her. Haha. 

I'm not in a good place today as far as Riding My Own Bike goes so was starting to think about the NSVs I want to get from this next Whole30 and thought I should document them here.

As I'm writing these, I'm realizing you're about to get to know me very well very quickly. Please, don't run off! 

Non-Scale Goals:

1. NO MORE BLOATING 

2. Fewer headaches

3. Control of my Sugar Dragon - I don't think I'm one of those people that will ever shrug him entirely, but when he shows up I want to be able to ignore him with limited effort. I'm the Boss!

4. Clearer skin - less dry, improved dandruff and psoriasis symptoms, maybe no pimples during my period?

5. Regular digestion

6. Improved stamina and continued gains at the gym

7. Energy and alertness upon waking

8. Increased interest in... intimacy 

9. Improved meal packing/planning skills and execution (I want it to be a habit, not a chore)

10. And probably the most important: Food Freedom. I listed this as one of my Goals for 2017 at the beginning of the year because I feel like God has been showing me that I have given food too much power - it has become an idol that I let control my feelings, my choices, my mindset, etc. and that is not where food belongs. I've already made significant progress in this area with the other Whole30s I have done this year but I am so grateful that this process has grace built in so I can come back and try to learn more!

OK, enough serious stuff for the day. I'm off to have my last margarita before The Death of the Dragon - 30 Days of Carnage kicks off. ;) Have a good one!

Archived